The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where is Hasselblad 150mp camera at?

JeRuFo

That's quite common. You often have to wait 6-12 months to be able to get your hand on a Hassy with the same sensor.

tcdeveau

I’m hearing that there may not be a 150mp Hasselblad emerging.
Stanley
Out of curiousity, from where are you hearing this? Hasselblad s been pretty quiet lately

There’s a H7D wishlist thread on hasselbladdigitalforum.com that Nick T says is being watching by Hasselblad, suggesting that it might be coming. If there is a H7D-150 coming, it will probably be awhile as mentioned above. With Phase out of the 33x44mm game, I think even a 33x44mm H7D-100 would have some attraction for tech cam users who want the benefit of BSI without paying 150mp prices.

That said, I’m not sure how feasible it will be for Hasselblad to keep both the H system and X system going and keep both user bases satisfied. They’ve taken a bunch of preorders for the new 65mm, 80mm, and 135mm XCD lenses (and charged credit cards up front if ordered through the HB store in the US) with a supposed December 2018 delivery, and there’s no sign of the lenses so far. There also seem to be a good bit of H6D-100 users out there not happy with the roll-out of features (or lack thereof). There’s also at least interview out there with a HB product manager on LuLa where he says mirrorless is the future, sooo....

Unless I find a deal on the used market I can’t pass up, I personally pretty much have zero interest in the H system now after trying twice to get a demo of the H6D from Hasselblad (I have no local dealers anymore) without any luck. The last time was this summer when after about a month of emails and my regional rep saying he’d have it for me to try, and me buying the powerpack and cables HB recommended for tech cam use out of my own pocket, and then nothing and no followup.

with 150mp, I think patience is the name of the game for now, regardless of HB or P1. Even the IQ4-150, although shipping, is shipping without all of its features enabled.

kdphotography

I would have expected an early announcement from Hasselblad and then the wait for delivery put off. Not the biggest surprise as with the larger sensor and higher megapixels, it's always been Hasselblad following Phase One's initial entry into the market. The IQ4 150 is still quite new, and the first time that I've seen Phase announce a product and then not be ready to ship almost immediately. It seems to me that Hasselblad is doing quite well with the X1D. It makes sense to put resources there as a priority. I wish they would do more with their Flextight X1/X5 film scanners, like update from Firewire to USB protocol---they are all alone in that market.

BigBoy

Out of curiousity, from where are you hearing this? Hasselblad s been pretty quiet lately

There’s a H7D wishlist thread on hasselbladdigitalforum.com that Nick T says is being watching by Hasselblad, suggesting that it might be coming. If there is a H7D-150 coming, it will probably be awhile as mentioned above. With Phase out of the 33x44mm game, I think even a 33x44mm H7D-100 would have some attraction for tech cam users who want the benefit of BSI without paying 150mp prices.

That said, I’m not sure how feasible it will be for Hasselblad to keep both the H system and X system going and keep both user bases satisfied. They’ve taken a bunch of preorders for the new 65mm, 80mm, and 135mm XCD lenses (and charged credit cards up front if ordered through the HB store in the US) with a supposed December 2018 delivery, and there’s no sign of the lenses so far. There also seem to be a good bit of H6D-100 users out there not happy with the roll-out of features (or lack thereof). There’s also at least interview out there with a HB product manager on LuLa where he says mirrorless is the future, sooo....

Unless I find a deal on the used market I can’t pass up, I personally pretty much have zero interest in the H system now after trying twice to get a demo of the H6D from Hasselblad (I have no local dealers anymore) without any luck. The last time was this summer when after about a month of emails and my regional rep saying he’d have it for me to try, and me buying the powerpack and cables HB recommended for tech cam use out of my own pocket, and then nothing and no followup.

with 150mp, I think patience is the name of the game for now, regardless of HB or P1. Even the IQ4-150, although shipping, is shipping without all of its features enabled.
I do wonder though how will Hasselblad will work this out. I would say drop the h or turn it into a mirrorless camera. I seen no reason to buy the H if x2d have about the same specs as Fuji X100S. Also H has old lens plus they know mirrorless is the future. They can beat Phaseone with an official mirrorless true medium format camera.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I wish they would do more with their Flextight X1/X5 film scanners, like update from Firewire to USB protocol---they are all alone in that market.
The major ongoing market for the X5 (institutions with large collections, service bureau) has almost entirely moved to instant-capture methods of film scanning like the DT Film Scanning Kit. I can't think of a single US university, library, or archive which purchased an X5 this past year after comparing to the modern instant-capture approach. It's faster, is safer for the materials, and yields better image quality, and runs with modern software and modern interfaces.

My (heavily biased) view is that DJI/Hassy has transitioned nearly all of their effort into their X platform. The list of major R+D investments they have made into the H platform (new body features? new full-frame 645 lenses? new accessories? feature updates to current products? ground-up redesigns of back/body?) the last few years is quite thin. If DJI/Hassy does eventually bring an H7D-150mp to market I suspect it will not be what the IQ4 is (a complete ground-up redesign of hardware and software to fully leverage the new 150mp sensor).

Of course, feel free to quote this post if I'm proven wrong (e.g. DJI/Hassy releases a ground-up redesign of the H body, back, and a few new HC lenses); I hope I am wrong, as competition is what drives innovation, and currently no one is meaningfully competing with P1 in the full-frame-645 market.

(again, I acknowledge I'm heavily biased)

Last edited:

stngoldberg

I can’t say where I heard it because the conversation was in confidence.
Having said that I am hoping for an H7, because Phase One dropped the ability to use their new IQ4 back with my Hasselblad body and lenses and therefore with my tech camera.
Stanley

BigBoy

Phaseone is not all peaches & cremes neither. I use capture one but will be moving on soon from them. Not having mobile apps or cloud is really starting to mess up my flow. Also Phaseone has gone the Leica route by targeting the rich. With no mirrorless camera coming from them or capture one apps on mobile don't know how long they can last. Phaseone also need a Photoshop like app. I think they should purchase Affinity or work with them.

tcdeveau

I can’t say where I heard it because the conversation was in confidence.
Having said that I am hoping for an H7, because Phase One dropped the ability to use their new IQ4 back with my Hasselblad body and lenses and therefore with my tech camera.
Stanley
Fair enough. Well, maybe if there’s no H7, P1 could be convinced to bring back the H mount since they’d no longer have competitors in that space. We’ll see. I am hoping for an H7 too simply because the more options available for consumers the better
-Todd

hcubell

My (heavily biased) view is that DJI/Hassy has transitioned nearly all of their effort into their X platform. The list of major R+D investments they have made into the H platform (new body features? new full-frame 645 lenses? new accessories? feature updates to current products? ground-up redesigns of back/body?) the last few years is quite thin. If DJI/Hassy does eventually bring an H7D-150mp to market I suspect it will not be what the IQ4 is (a complete ground-up redesign of hardware and software to fully leverage the new 150mp sensor).

Of course, feel free to quote this post if I'm proven wrong (e.g. DJI/Hassy releases a ground-up redesign of the H body, back, and a few new HC lenses); I hope I am wrong, as competition is what drives innovation, and currently no one is meaningfully competing with P1 in the full-frame-645 market.

(again, I acknowledge I'm heavily biased)
I agree that Hasselblad is very unlikely to invest resources in developing an H7D-150 that would be a major upgrade over the H6D-100. If they can cheaply drop into the H6D the 150mp sensor, perhaps they will do that and sell it a much lower price point than the IQ4, just to maintain the perception that Hasselblad is playing in the highest end of the professionalmarket. A major upgrade in the H platform and developing new lenses for it at this point would be throwing good money after bad. The hard reality is that the H platform is a dinosaur, just like the Phase XF is a dinosaur. It seems to me that if Hasselblad is going to invest resources in a significantly upgraded full frame medium format system, it will be a mirrorless system that will share the design ethos of the X platform. It's still a low probability. Hasselblad did just hire last year the head of camera design at Leica, who designed the Leica Q. Who knows what they have him doing. I assume he isn't sitting on his hands. He may be focused on a FF product like the Leica Q.

PeterA

The h is not dead!!!

Hasselblad have a 'killer' product - it is called the X series camera - they just need to produce a generation 2 version, be realistic/competitive about pricing for bodies and lenses and join the real world - leaving Phase One alone to keep selling whatever they can to people who dont mind clunkyitty clunk clunk clunk vintage automobile type bling. Tough gig though - I'll back the Japanese to play a longer grind game than any other corporate culture - they understand the volume game.

hcubell

DJI is a Chinese company

Stanley
Correct. Bet against them at your peril. We don't know what their long term objectives with Hasselblad are, but whatever they are, they have demonstrated the ability to totally dominate a whole market. Please, tell me who else makes drones?

tcdeveau

IMHO all the DJI talk is pretty meaningless without action from HB.

Not only have we not seen a product announcement from Hasselblad in quite some time, their competitor on one end is already shipping its next gen product to end users (IQ4-150), their competitor on the other end has its next gen product coming in the next 6 months (GFX-100s), and Hasselblad hasn’t even delivered the lenses on the XCD roadmap from over a year ago.

I love my X-system, but one thing that bothers me is that Hasselblad isn’t living up to its potential, esp if we take into consideration that they may or may not have substantial DJI resources at their disposal. If they have the ability to dominate the market with DJI at their side, why aren’t they stepping up to the plate? Let’s hope we see big things in 2019 or that they’ve got big plans for the long game....

PeterA

Correct. Bet against them at your peril. We don't know what their long term objectives with Hasselblad are, but whatever they are, they have demonstrated the ability to totally dominate a whole market. Please, tell me who else makes drones?
Depends on the type you are talking about - a bloke I know makes drones down here in Oz that take payloads of up to 50kg - his rigs and expertise have featured in about 15 odd Hollywood big budget films...DJi aren't in the 'commercial/industrial' uses markets.

the consumer fun segment is ok - but the money is in larger versions requiring custom fabrication and some form of guarantee they wont fall out of the air when the wind gusts...

Pete

citizin

I don't think they need to release a whole new system. Hasselblad could just release a 150 back upgrade for the H6, it's a great system. I'm still using the H3&4 and they're still work for my needs.

Crop sensors, the 50Mp was perfect for and introduction to the X systems.
I have considered dropping the pair of H's and their accompanying 1D's for a pair of x1d's for our business. I've tried to do this but my current rep at hasselblad has failed to follow 3 times now, I've given up.

I have never and would never consider a crop for the H system. The old 50/60ccd's and the newer 100mp are a perfect pairing, and the 150 would be great. I would've considered getting a H5D/H6D-50c if I knew later on down the road I could've added a back upgrade 100/150/etc to the system. Then again I would've been fine with the H4D with an option to upgrade just the back too.

earburner

I reckon Hasselblad are moving away from the H series and concentrating on the bigger markets of the X series and lower risks. I also think their new "hip" owners want them to be the high end brand, Not the Hi spec brand ;):D

I heard that when the earth quake hit the Sony sensor plant, they were just starting production of the HD6 100 mpix sensor and Phase One had all of their orders fulfilled, Giving Phase One over a year to dominate the high end market, this combined with the new XF at the time. This Must have lost them new system sales and long term customers. Hasselblad are going to have to work had if they want to get that market back...