The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Photo editing with iPad Pro

vieri

I wouldn't want anything less than a real computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse for editing images. I don't see any other way to get the best out of raw files.

I dont get it really
Hello Doug,

I am with you on this one. I am on the road 6 months a year leading Workshops, and never process my images on my laptop - just wait to get home to work on my Wacom 27" Cintiq instead. However, I still need a laptop to do post-processing sessions during my Workshops, and I always bring along an iPad mini as well for reading etc. If both could be replaced by the iPad Pro with a full version of Photoshop on it (or nearly full) with CameraRaw, I could save quite a bit of weight from my bag, and that is always welcome for me. So, personally I am waiting and seeing how the new iPadOS will develop and how Photoshop will support it (and viceversa), and perhaps I will go for an iPad Pro when the time comes to replace my current laptop (in a year or two, I guess).

Best regards,

Vieri

Godfrey

I wouldn't want anything less than a real computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse for editing images. I don't see any other way to get the best out of raw files.

I dont get it really

Hello Doug,

I am with you on this one. I am on the road 6 months a year leading Workshops, and never process my images on my laptop - just wait to get home to work on my Wacom 27" Cintiq instead. However, I still need a laptop to do post-processing sessions during my Workshops, and I always bring along an iPad mini as well for reading etc. If both could be replaced by the iPad Pro with a full version of Photoshop on it (or nearly full) with CameraRaw, I could save quite a bit of weight from my bag, and that is always welcome for me. So, personally I am waiting and seeing how the new iPadOS will develop and how Photoshop will support it (and viceversa), and perhaps I will go for an iPad Pro when the time comes to replace my current laptop (in a year or two, I guess).

Best regards,

Vieri
The iPad Pro is just as "real" a computer as any other. It's just a matter of software available.

I haven't used Photoshop in years, Lightroom does very nearly everything significant to my image processing needs with very very few exceptions, and Affinity Photo along with a couple of other small utilities do the rest. And soon LR will be no more for me, since I can no longer count on a perpetual license version for the next macOS, and I'll be using something other than that anyway (unless my world changes and I feel good about buying into a subscription model for some 'unknown at this time' reason).

My goals in making photos nowadays include minimizing to the greatest extent possible post-processing needs anyway. The raw converters now available for iOS operating system do just as good a job as Camera Raw does in Photoshop and Lightroom on macOS or Windows, IMO, and the post-raw-conversion editing tools available are just as good if not better. The UI is different, naturally. Same on macOS when I consider ON1, Luminar, etc, actually. The biggest issues I have with any of the software is printing: Lightroom's Print module is incredibly convenient for what I do and I haven't found a match for that yet. I'm working on it, but since photo printing means being connected to a big printer at home, the solution to that is not likely to be a best fit to a mobile device.

To me, the image processing issues are all a matter of how you get the files onto and off of the machine along with how well you can contrive your workflow with the apps. It looks like iOS 13 will make the file movement a lot more convenient, and I've already found available software on iOS does the processing job I want—I've not bothered with any of the of the Adobe packages.

Whatever gets the work done, and keeps my equipment load in the field down as much as possible, is good.
Sometimes, I find even the iPad is a lot to carry... :D

G

jvora

Hello :

I look forward to using an iPad as a replacement to my Wacom ( Intuos 3 ) specially as it is no longer supported on Mojave and PS-CC - But after a few downgrades to the Wacom app, I have gotten it to work. But I have this nagging feeling that getting the Wacom to work on Catalina most likely will not work.Thus I was pleased to learn that Apple is to intro a new app ( SideCar ) with Catalina which will make above possible - But Apple’s site mentions Illustrator ( among other apps ) that will be compatible with SideCar, but no mention of PS ?

Will PS be supported OR has Adobe put the kaibosh on desktop PS being supported with Sidecar as that would limit the proliferation of the upcoming PS-iPad ?

Look forward to your thoughts and insights.

Thanks !