Site Sponsors

Thread: Photo editing with iPad Pro

Post Thanks / Like

Photo editing with iPad Pro

Morning guys,
    Today I am planning to go and buy myself a new 12.9" iPad Pro and use that exclusively as my photo editing tool using Snapseed until the new Photoshop cc arrives for iPad in the New Year. I have been practicing with Snapseed on my hand phone and find it fairly simple to use. My current camera systems are Hasselblad H6D100c Leica S and M. I read this blog by Austin Mann and he uses the same H6D100c camera along with the 12.9 iPad Pro.
    So my question to the group is how many of you guys use a iPad Pro to edit your pictures and if you do how is it???

Neil
    My all NEW Website can be seen HERE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Photo editing with iPad Pro

I have a 10.5" iPad pro and I found it extremely frustrating as an image editing tool. The software is fine (I used pixelmator and have yet to try affinity photo), the hardware is surprisingly powerful. The pen and screen interface is wonderful.

What makes it frustrating is that Apple decided that the actual data should be completely abstracted to the user. You can import files, but you don't know whether you import a raw or jpeg file, when the two are in pairs. The data will then be uploaded by default to Apple servers, maxing out your connection quickly and soon requesting an upgrade of your Apple drive (you can disable these functions). If you want to post the files to a blog (for example), you will need third-party software to reduce the resolution and size of the pictures, because the built-in functions will not tell you.

Basically, the iPad (and iPhone) are designed with a single paradigm in mind: you take the pictures and videos on the devices themselves (pictures taken with the phone will magically appear on the pad), add some filters et edits and post the full resolution to approved social networks. Everything is stored in the cloud (at a price) and you have infinite connection and bandwidth. Other workflows are possible, but will make you jump through loops to achieve your aims.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Some notes:

• I went for the 11 inch model because I want it to fit into a smallish bag ... a larger heavier bag for the 12.9" model is an annoyance since my camera equipment today is small and light (Leica M-D, CL, and Light L16). I don't find the smaller screen a detraction ... It's nearly always the case that I AirPlay the photos to a large display for sharing with a group anyway, and it's just fine for doing editing in a confined space like an airline seat.

• With a 1T machine, I have more than enough storage for a several week long photo trip. No need to carry additional drives or hunt up fast WiFi.

• I have my cameras set to RAW only. Downloading to the iPad Pro is always raw files, it generates the JPEG previews when I open the files to edit.

• Going through the Photos library is a plus if you use RAW Power because it works with the Photos library directly. I don't use LRCC, and have no intention of using LR Mobile. SnapSeed and Affinity Photo, along with RAW Power, do the job for me. I'm transitioning away from LR on macOS too, since I refuse to pay a monthly use fee to Adobe and LR 6.14 is slowly dying.

• NONE of my photos go onto Apple's cloud services, unless I send them to my iCloud drive explicitly. I have yet to see much use for the Photos sharing capabilities since I work with my photos and want to present to the public only finished images. My finished photos are presented outside of the Apple ecosystem.

It's working well for me so far. I haven't got a longish trip scheduled until early February. I'll know more after that.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on what level of post you re doing.

For colour balance and small adjustments, an iPad could do the job I guess.

I wouldn't consider an iPad for the level of Post I do. It would be a frustrating experience and when a desktop does it perfectly I don't feel the need to change.

Also, I would not consider using anything less than a calibrated monitor with as close to adobe98 as possible. You are just essentially making blind changes and have no idea what the images look like elsewhere.

If you want something simple, take a look at the new Mac Mini. It can be spec'd crazy powerful and when paired with an EIZO or NEC monitor it gives top notch post capability.

If you have such a camera, why consider something that is such a compromise?

Post Thanks / Like

I purchased a 1gb 12.9” pro pretty much on launch day and have been using it for nearly all my editing since then.

Context: I use a 2013 Mac Pro for my main LR catalogue and historically have travelled with a MacBook Pro and then exported the catalogue from that to the the Mac Pro on return to base. I had experimented with versions 1 & 2 of the iPad Pro and found them wanting. I had also, like the OP, got really fed up with the LR subscription model and used a variety (all the usual suspects) of alternatives on both IO and Mac OS. Some of them were really great but it slowly dawned that I was cutting my nose off to spite my face because I have a great deal (70,000 + photos and a LOT of experience) tied up in LR.

So after a great deal of research I then did the following, which works really well for me:

1) On my Mac Pro, I filtered my LR Classic Catalogue to give me every image with 3* or more
    2) Exported them all as a catalogue. It came to about 2,500 images.
    3) Took out a bigger storage package with LR and then imported all those images into LR CC on my Mac Pro.
    4) Allowed the Mac Pro to synchronize all that to the cloud (it took a few days)
    5) realised from time to time that there were favourite images that for some reason had not made it across, and discovered that you can export as many new catalogs (and then import them into CC) as you like, as long as they all get different names.

Now what I do is as follows:

1) I purchased a USB C reader that fits into the iPad Pro. This is used for my Nikon Z7 files and it is astonishingly fast. Way, way, waaaay faster than any Mac OS import I have ever seen. Like, about 7-10 70mb files PER SECOND - and much much faster than importing direct from the camera using a USB cable - even one designed especially for that purpose.
    2) Import the files into Photos, which is disabled from cloud sync. Once they are there, import them from that into LRCC on the iPad. At this stage you can either delete the files from Photos or if you want belt and braces, leave them there until you are sure everything has synced to LR’s cloud.
    3) Do all my preliminary editing on the iPad including the wonderful pencil for local adjustments.
    4) Allow, wherever possible, the iPad to upload those to the cloud and sync with my other devices. - or wait until I have the bandwidth for that to happen.
    5) Get home days or weeks later and find that my LRCC catalogue on my Mac Pro has all the images, wel edited and ready for viewing on a lower resolution screen (very important) and for any final touches - theoretically these would mainly be about color, but actually he iPad Pro has good color rendition.

So what I have is a fully integrated workflow that lets me work at home, in my studio or on the road in an environment I understand and that respects my historical editing practices and cataloguing, and which is blazingly fast. As a clue, the iPad Pro not only imports more quickly, it also processes and renders more quickly than either my Mac Pro 2013 or my MacBook Pro touchbar.

This has, literally, changed my life. It is almost perfect.

I was SO close to giving up on LR. My advice to everyone is, don’t: take some time to understand how to use LRCC across devices and in conjunction with LR Classic and know that when Photoshop for iPad arrives, this combination will be the single most useful thing you ever had, bar your cameras and lenses themselves.

Controversial but true.

But I still really dislike Adobe ;-)
    Last edited by tashley; 23rd December 2018 at 07:39.
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I am surprised you guys are happy editing on an 11" or 12.9" screen. I generally don't edit my images when traveling. I wait until I get home where I can edit them on my 27" monitor. I'll edit images on my laptop in a pinch, but I always re-edit them on a big screen.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    I am surprised you guys are happy editing on an 11" or 12.9" screen. I generally don't edit my images when traveling. I wait until I get home where I can edit them on my 27" monitor. I'll edit images on my laptop in a pinch, but I always re-edit them on a big screen.
    All a matter of perspective. I started digital image processing back in the middle 1980s when a 1024x1024 image on a RAMTEK display amounted to 13 hours of processing time and the system cost $21M dollars (at NASA/JPL). It was many years before a 27" display on a fast desktop system was available for editing at a price I could afford ...

I find my edits and final images are different on my desktop system with 27" display and Lightroom compared to on my iPad Pro 11": Not better or worse, but different. With the right software, the editing is just as fluid and fun on either. The IPP11 is a bit faster than my 2012 Mac mini and has some better tools.

But in the end, it doesn't really matter all that much. I work in taking photographs to make my image editing process quick and minimal. I rarely spend more than a few minutes editing a photo either way. And I'm satisfied ... happy! ... with the results from either system. Oft times, if I have edited a photo on the go on the iPad, I upload it into LR next to the original and see if I get anything more out of it, and find I've got just what I wanted already. No need to polish a finished thing, that's usually the best way to ruin it...

G
    Last edited by Godfrey; 23rd December 2018 at 06:17.
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tashley View Post
    I purchased a 1gb 12.9” pro pretty much on launch day and have been using it for nearly all my editing

This has, literally, changed my life. It is almost perfect.

I was SO close to giving up on LR. My advice to everyone is, don’t: take some time to understand how to use LRCC across devices and in conjunction with LR Classic and know that when Photoshop for iPad arrives, this combination will be the single most useful thing you ever had, bar your cameras and lenses themselves.

Controversial but true.

Thanks for sharing! I agree that LRCC has potential but haven’t quite wrapped my head around how to make use of it.

I think this iPad Pro workflow would be really useful for me right now. Im taking a million pics of my son and family, and importing them into my 2013 Mac Pro for editing with LR, but this has become inconvenient for quick edits when I only a couple minutes to edit here and there. I need a faster workflow that’s accessible from any room in my house, and don’t feel like plopping down $$ for a touchbar MacBook Pro yet.

Which USB-C reader are you using if you don’t mind me asking?
    -Todd

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tcdeveau View Post
    Thanks for sharing! I agree that LRCC has potential but haven’t quite wrapped my head around how to make use of it.

I think this iPad Pro workflow would be really useful for me right now. Im taking a million pics of my son and family, and importing them into my 2013 Mac Pro for editing with LR, but this has become inconvenient for quick edits when I only a couple minutes to edit here and there. I need a faster workflow that’s accessible from any room in my house, and don’t feel like plopping down $$ for a touchbar MacBook Pro yet.

Which USB-C reader are you using if you don’t mind me asking?
    -Todd
    I'm really happy to help. I almost drove myself crazy trying to work this out. Rule #1 - NEVER to be broken, is "do not sync LR CC Classic to the cloud. Export everything you might ever want in the cloud to a catalog, import that catalog to LR CC desktop, then base you desktop/mobile workflow on that. There are lots of other wrinkles but that is the main one, if you want to retain your sanity and not end up with your life littered with duplicate files.

The USB-C reader was a very generic one from eBay, it doesn't have a brand name on it and was the only one I could find with an XQD slot. It feels and looks a bit cheap but boy does it ever work extremely fast! It's here : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253953856806?ul_noapp=true

Good luck and do ask further questions. I got fairly good at this workflow after asking a zillion questions on the Adobe and other forums and doing a lot of reading an experimenting.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

It is remarkably useful, when travelling, to be able to really interrogate a capture when you are still close enough to shoot it again if you screwed up. Also, for me, I often want to capture not exactly how a scene looked, but how it felt. I find it easier to do that if I can process the file within a a small number of hours of capture.

Also, with these displays at around 260PPI, they are arguably a more accurate representation of the size at which most of the files might be printed (and therefore the correct amount of sharpening, NR, clarity, etc) than is a large 4K screen, which is likely to have a resolution of around 140PPI - which with a Nikon Z7 would be too low a resolution for a good quality print even if you did want to print it to 59" wide.

I think that for over half of use cases, the iPad Pro is a BETTER machine for editing hi-res RAW files than most desktops (rather than just an acceptable short term alternative) and it also happens to be faster....

Post Thanks / Like

I think that for over half of use cases, the iPad Pro is a BETTER machine for editing hi-res RAW files than most desktops (rather than just an acceptable short term alternative) and it also happens to be faster....
    What you say makes sense; what are the less than half use cases where editing on a large monitor would be better?

Post Thanks / Like

What you say makes sense; what are the less than half use cases where editing on a large monitor would be better?
    For me:
    1) where absolute colour accuracy is required and the monitor is both wide gamut and carefully calibrated
    2) where local adjustments aren’t required - or are simple enough to do with a mouse (assuming no Wacom)
    3) where print resolution is to be in the the region of 180 dpi

Additionally, benefits of desktop OS:
    4) where presets and/or adjustments are to be applied to or synced across a large number of images
    5) where keyword handling needs to be complex and sophisticated.
    6) where files need round tripping through photoshop
    7) where files need a multitude of export options.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As I always travel with a MacBook Pro (13" or 15") and an iPad Pro, I think of using 1TB iPad Pro as a backup for MacBook. Yes, they do fail, typically on the beginning of a 30 days trip in the bush ;-).

Post Thanks / Like

So my biggest thing against Ipad's is the lack of external storage access. I want to be able to plug in my phone/camera/usb drive/memory card be it xqd, cf,sd,cfast or camera with out pissing around... I don't want to F**k around with the cloud as far to often im in poor net access and want simple access to my files.. using any old usb adaptor, not some Ioverpriced adaptor that I can't buy a new one from the arse end of know where

I think it will have some uses, good battery life and very light. I have Ipad pro for Capture one pilot and I got the impression from a phase one tech there might be something new coming as the IQ4's have a apple security chip installed inside. Maybe direct tether via usb to ipad…

Post Thanks / Like

I'm really happy to help. I almost drove myself crazy trying to work this out. Rule #1 - NEVER to be broken, is "do not sync LR CC Classic to the cloud. Export everything you might ever want in the cloud to a catalog, import that catalog to LR CC desktop, then base you desktop/mobile workflow on that. There are lots of other wrinkles but that is the main one, if you want to retain your sanity and not end up with your life littered with duplicate files.
    I really wish that Adobe would fix that “wrinkle”. It is a pain even if you are not using LRCC, but only Classic and syncing. When you stop syncing a collection, the images should come out of the cloud!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jrsforums View Post
    I really wish that Adobe would fix that “wrinkle”. It is a pain even if you are not using LRCC, but only Classic and syncing. When you stop syncing a collection, the images should come out of the cloud!
    I almost drove myself nuts trying to work with classic on the desktop and CC on mobile. It’s a recipe for pain. There are so many weirdnesses to deal with. But as soon as you make the decision, as I did, that Classic is for legacy and back catalog stuff and CC is for new stuff and a small-ish subset of your back catalog that you’ve exported to it, everything falls into place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Looking for suggestions on how to backup iPad Pro in the field when there is no network connection. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SrMphoto View Post
    Looking for suggestions on how to backup iPad Pro in the field when there is no network connection. Thanks.
    This is the point your going to find the Ipad is a bad idea

Post Thanks / Like

Sandsk made some very useful options for the old style connector so I’m sure there will be good options soon. In the meantime I do,what I did when I travelled with a MacBook Pro; treat the camera memory card as the backup and connect to the cloud where possible.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Normally, the iPad is the backup for camera, etc. You back it up when you get back to a WiFi spot or your desktop system.

My personal experience with the iPad as mobile computing and backup device is that it's rock solid. I've been using iPad devices since 2011, when the iPad 2 came out, and I have yet to have a single lock up or missing file on any of them. I *never* worry about data on the iPad at all. I back up my iPad and iPhone devices to web storage with WiFi when available, and to my computer with a wired connection. When I can't connect either way, I just keep working and don't worry about it. I've not lost a single file regardless of the thousands of image files and other stuff I've created or downloaded into the iPads. Not one.

That said, Sandisk has flash and SSD drive backup solutions for Lightning connector iPads/iPhones. The USB-C connection on the current iPad Pro models is brand new and they haven't upgraded their app and devices for it just yet, at least that I can tell. I'm sure they will in short order. Ideally, they would create a backup system that allowed backup to any compatible bus-powered USB-C SSD or flash drive. It's not too difficult to do.

(I could probably write an app like that myself, given some time and motivation to do it. Maybe I should... )

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I purchased a 1gb 12.9” pro pretty much on launch day and have been using it for nearly all my editing since then.

Controversial but true.

Thanks for the details on your workflow - it's an inspiration. Your starting place is exactly where I am today. The issue for me is LRCC. I shoot primarily with a Leica M10 or Sony A7riii. Mostly landscape and cityscape. Exclusively with primes. I stitch a lot, and fuss with perspective a fair amount. Stitching is my second step in LR, after importing. LRCC simply doesn't have the editing tools that I need. But all of these software packages have evolved by adding features, so maybe it will get there.

Again, thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Normally, the iPad is the backup for camera, etc. You back it up when you get back to a WiFi spot or your desktop system.

My personal experience with the iPad as mobile computing and backup device is that it's rock solid. I've been using iPad devices since 2011, when the iPad 2 came out, and I have yet to have a single lock up or missing file on any of them. I *never* worry about data on the iPad at all. I back up my iPad and iPhone devices to web storage with WiFi when available, and to my computer with a wired connection. When I can't connect either way, I just keep working and don't worry about it. I've not lost a single file regardless of the thousands of image files and other stuff I've created or downloaded into the iPads. Not one.

That said, Sandisk has flash and SSD drive backup solutions for Lightning connector iPads/iPhones. The USB-C connection on the current iPad Pro models is brand new and they haven't upgraded their app and devices for it just yet, at least that I can tell. I'm sure they will in short order. Ideally, they would create a backup system that allowed backup to any compatible bus-powered USB-C SSD or flash drive. It's not too difficult to do.

(I could probably write an app like that myself, given some time and motivation to do it. Maybe I should... )

G
    It has been the case that I am away from good internet (i.e., not the slow satellite connection) for weeks or a month. Even though I have never lost files on iPad, it is thinkable that the iPad could be destroyed or stolen during a trip. Hence, the mandatory backup plan. Carrying about 20-40 memory cards to keep the originals untouched is one possibility

I wonder why nobody has yet written an iOS app that writes out to a connected drive.

WD has a wireless external disk that could be used, but user reviews are pretty damning. Sandisk has iXpand flash drives, but they have only lightning connectors at the moment and seem to have issues as well (e.g. loosing metadata)
    Has anone direct experience with any of the two mentioned devices?

Post Thanks / Like

Carrying about 20-40 memory cards to keep the originals untouched is one possibility.
    Just how many images do you make on a trip?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It has been the case that I am away from good internet (i.e., not the slow satellite connection) for weeks or a month. Even though I have never lost files on iPad, it is thinkable that the iPad could be destroyed or stolen during a trip. Hence, the mandatory backup plan. Carrying about 20-40 memory cards to keep the originals untouched is one possibility

I wonder why nobody has yet written an iOS app that writes out to a connected drive.

WD has a wireless external disk that could be used, but user reviews are pretty damning. Sandisk has iXpand flash drives, but they have only lightning connectors at the moment and seem to have issues as well (e.g. loosing metadata)
    Has anone direct experience with any of the two mentioned devices?
    Exactly.

On a photo trip, I typically make 2000 to 3000 exposures over the course of three to four weeks. One 128G SD card with my CL will hold well in excess of 2200 raw exposures. I carry three, and never delete anything from the cards.

On a more casual trip, I might make only 200-300 exposures.

My Light L16 camera has 256G built in storage. I just backed up the entire contents of the camera to an archive after a year's use ... that was just shy of 1000 exposures. And there's lots and lots of photos in that archive I haven't processed yet.

What goes on the iPad is always a subset of that, and it doesn't need to be backed up because the only reason I move exposures to the iPad while traveling is to process a couple quickly and post them to the network to share while I'm going. If EVERYTHING on the iPad was lost, I'd hardly notice it; if the iPad was stolen, I'd keep an eye on the network for it and wipe it, lock it so as to make it useless to the thief, as soon as I saw it appear.

I don't need backups of my backups of backups...

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Between 300 - 30,000, depending on the trip (kind and length). I try not to fill up the card and then change in the field, instead I always start the day with an empty card.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Between 300 - 30,000, depending on the trip (kind and length). I try not to fill up the card and then change in the field, instead I always start the day with an empty card.
    Whenever I see numbers like that, I have to ask: What do you do with 30,000 exposures? This is not a disparagement, just curiosity.

When I am shooting motorcycle racing, I often come home with several hundred—even up a a thousand— exposures. Once I've completed a first edit pass, that's usually down to thirty, and a second edit pass will drop that to a dozen. I only do that kind of stuff once in a great while, and there's no way I'm ever going to back up the original 600 or 700 images ...

G

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Whenever I see numbers like that, I have to ask: What do you do with 30,000 exposures? This is not a disparagement, just curiosity.

When I am shooting motorcycle racing, I often come home with several hundred—even up a a thousand— exposures. Once I've completed a first edit pass, that's usually down to thirty, and a second edit pass will drop that to a dozen. I only do that kind of stuff once in a great while, and there's no way I'm ever going to back up the original 600 or 700 images ...

G
    Sure, I'd be happy if I have a dozen that are real keepers from those 30,000. I may be missing some at the first culling so I keep all until I am home, wait a couple of months and review them again. If you are shooting wildlife whole day (from 6am to 9pm), a 1000 images a day is not that excessive. Even with medium format camera you could easily shoot 500 images a day (e.g., aerial work).

I never delete pictures while I am in the field and until I have backed them all up at home. Mistakes happen.
    Last edited by SrMphoto; 27th December 2018 at 20:25.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Sure, I'd be happy if I have a dozen that are real keepers from those 30,000. I may be missing some at the first culling so I keep all until I am home, wait a couple of months and review them again. If you are shooting wildlife whole day (from 6am to 9pm), a 1000 images a day is not that excessive. Even with medium format camera you could easily shoot 500 images a day (e.g., aerial work).

I never delete pictures while I am in the field and until I have backed them all up at home. Mistakes happen.
    Different ways of working. I do my selections very quickly, that's usually why I move the photos onto the iPad in the first place. After two passes on 1000 images (about fifteen minutes), I delete all the ones that didn't make the grade for me.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Controversial but true.

Thanks for this explanation of how you work. I was intrigued. And then my 20Gb of Adobe storage filled up. I see that you can buy extra storage from Adobe, but that seems poor value for money to me in comparison to picture storage costs from Amazon, Google, Flickr, even Apple, etc.

I would need terrabytes of storage for my complete set of pics; I don't want to spend time decanting pics from the cloud. (I am not sufficiently disciplined to have * rated my entire catalog.)

So I think that the workflow turns out not to be for me. Instead I process in Lightroom Classic on the go and save the metadata into the raw files / XMP files. Back at base, I copy the raws onto my NAS (which pushes them up to cheap cloud storage) and import them into the Lightroom Classic catalog on my base machine.

This is still a bit clunky, so the search for the optimal workflow continues. ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The most difficult part of moving my image processing to the iPad and/or using tools other than Lightroom 6.14 on macOS is being able to apply the same corrections/rendering adjustments to more than one similar photo in order to achieve a consistent look and feel for an entire set of photos. SnapSeed gives instructions for doing this that I simply cannot make work; RAW Power doesn't seem to have the facility to copy and paste settings. I'm still exploring this aspect of my image processing in Affinity Photo.

The presets that one can make for Import, Develop, Metadata, Slide Show, and Print in Lightroom make this aspect of my processing workflow a breeze ... even if there are sometimes features and tools of the other apps that make them superior for the rendering job. It's why I'm not rushing to dump LR 6.14 and be done with the Adobe hegemony.

--- FLASH! ---

While I was writing this, I got a thought, opened SnapSeed, and did a few edits to a photo. Rather than looking for what their documentation was suggesting, I found a command called "View Edits" and selected it. The edit stack was displayed. The command menu then changed to "Copy". I did that, and opened another photo. I used the same tool to get to "View Edits" and then the command menu brought up "Insert". Choosing that dropped the previous edit stack in place. Much better: Now I can get the same edits across a range of similar photos.

I bet RAW Power has some facility like this that I simply haven't found yet.

The adventure continues.

G

Post Thanks / Like

This is really bad idea when your image is more important.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Smitha View Post
    This is really bad idea when your image is more important.
    What is a really bad idea "when my image is more important"...?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Apple announced that the next iPad OS version will support external storage attached via USB.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Now let’s get capture one for it
    Christopher Hauser
    http://www.chauser.eu

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerome_m View Post
    Apple announced that the next iPad OS version will support external storage attached via USB.
    That will be a plus.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jerome_m View Post
    I am looking forward to this. Fedex just delivered my iPad pro today

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Now let’s get capture one for it
    Forgot capture one. Photoshop is on the way.
    Neil

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn't want anything less than a real computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse for editing images. I don't see any other way to get the best out of raw files.

I dont get it really

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    I wouldn't want anything less than a real computer, monitor, keyboard, mouse for editing images. I don't see any other way to get the best out of raw files.

I dont get it really
    Maybe you should try the mew iPad Pro.....fantastic for working on H6D100c images using either lightroom, Affinity or Snapseed.

Neil

Post Thanks / Like

look forward to P1 back with ipad os

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kinglang View Post
    look forward to P1 back with ipad os
    we never heard anything than denial that its coming, sure i wish for it too but dont stick your hopes too high

Post Thanks / Like

I dont get it really
    Hello Doug,

I am with you on this one. I am on the road 6 months a year leading Workshops, and never process my images on my laptop - just wait to get home to work on my Wacom 27" Cintiq instead. However, I still need a laptop to do post-processing sessions during my Workshops, and I always bring along an iPad mini as well for reading etc. If both could be replaced by the iPad Pro with a full version of Photoshop on it (or nearly full) with CameraRaw, I could save quite a bit of weight from my bag, and that is always welcome for me. So, personally I am waiting and seeing how the new iPadOS will develop and how Photoshop will support it (and viceversa), and perhaps I will go for an iPad Pro when the time comes to replace my current laptop (in a year or two, I guess).

Best regards,

Vieri
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Formatt-Hitech Featured Artist | ABIPP EP
    WORKSHOPS | FINE ART PRINTS | PORTFOLIO | THE BLOG

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont get it really

Quote Originally Posted by vieri View Post
    Hello Doug,

I am with you on this one. I am on the road 6 months a year leading Workshops, and never process my images on my laptop - just wait to get home to work on my Wacom 27" Cintiq instead. However, I still need a laptop to do post-processing sessions during my Workshops, and I always bring along an iPad mini as well for reading etc. If both could be replaced by the iPad Pro with a full version of Photoshop on it (or nearly full) with CameraRaw, I could save quite a bit of weight from my bag, and that is always welcome for me. So, personally I am waiting and seeing how the new iPadOS will develop and how Photoshop will support it (and viceversa), and perhaps I will go for an iPad Pro when the time comes to replace my current laptop (in a year or two, I guess).

Best regards,

Vieri
    The iPad Pro is just as "real" a computer as any other. It's just a matter of software available.

I haven't used Photoshop in years, Lightroom does very nearly everything significant to my image processing needs with very very few exceptions, and Affinity Photo along with a couple of other small utilities do the rest. And soon LR will be no more for me, since I can no longer count on a perpetual license version for the next macOS, and I'll be using something other than that anyway (unless my world changes and I feel good about buying into a subscription model for some 'unknown at this time' reason).

My goals in making photos nowadays include minimizing to the greatest extent possible post-processing needs anyway. The raw converters now available for iOS operating system do just as good a job as Camera Raw does in Photoshop and Lightroom on macOS or Windows, IMO, and the post-raw-conversion editing tools available are just as good if not better. The UI is different, naturally. Same on macOS when I consider ON1, Luminar, etc, actually. The biggest issues I have with any of the software is printing: Lightroom's Print module is incredibly convenient for what I do and I haven't found a match for that yet. I'm working on it, but since photo printing means being connected to a big printer at home, the solution to that is not likely to be a best fit to a mobile device.

To me, the image processing issues are all a matter of how you get the files onto and off of the machine along with how well you can contrive your workflow with the apps. It looks like iOS 13 will make the file movement a lot more convenient, and I've already found available software on iOS does the processing job I want—I've not bothered with any of the of the Adobe packages.

Whatever gets the work done, and keeps my equipment load in the field down as much as possible, is good.
    Sometimes, I find even the iPad is a lot to carry...

G

Post Thanks / Like

Hello :

I look forward to using an iPad as a replacement to my Wacom ( Intuos 3 ) specially as it is no longer supported on Mojave and PS-CC - But after a few downgrades to the Wacom app, I have gotten it to work. But I have this nagging feeling that getting the Wacom to work on Catalina most likely will not work.Thus I was pleased to learn that Apple is to intro a new app ( SideCar ) with Catalina which will make above possible - But Apple’s site mentions Illustrator ( among other apps ) that will be compatible with SideCar, but no mention of PS ?

Will PS be supported OR has Adobe put the kaibosh on desktop PS being supported with Sidecar as that would limit the proliferation of the upcoming PS-iPad ?

Look forward to your thoughts and insights.

Thanks !
    Jai Vora • jaivora.com • +91 982-136-0044