The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX 50R: develop raw images?

gurtch

Still struggling. Latest issue is the images I "export" (save), have ended up in the wrong folder. I like to keep the Raws , and converted files in the same folder. I will give another shot later today. Anyone recommend a good book?
Thanks
Dave

ejpeiker

Still struggling. Latest issue is the images I "export" (save), have ended up in the wrong folder. I like to keep the Raws , and converted files in the same folder. I will give another shot later today. Anyone recommend a good book?
Thanks
Dave
With which RAW converter is the image being sent to a different folder than the one you want?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
With which RAW converter is the image being sent to a different folder than the one you want?
Books are out of date shortly after they are released; sometimes before.

Learn.phaseone.com is your best bet for free education. If you struggle with watching long webinars I could selfishly suggest our Capture One Basics class that is coming up Jan 22 in NYC (5 min walk from Penn Station).

algrove

Thanks
Dave
No book here just personal experiences.

When you export with C1 using the gear wheel icon, it is important to carefully review all your settings and where you are exporting to BEFORE hitting the "Process" button. For example, C1 might export to itself in the form of its own "Output" folder. One must change that if you want the file to go elsewhere such as "Desktop" (which I use sometimes where then I drag the file to the exact location I want if a folder was not set up previous to the export). But one can always click the up/down arrows under "Destination" and browse for the location wanted.

Don Libby

The following addresses my history with GFX50s files which can help with 50R

I tried the method of changinf the files to fool C1 however in the end I found it was just a huge PIA and decided to open in ACR then finish the process in PSCC. That all changed with C1-11 and C1-12.

My normal workflow is downloading the files to a seperate folder (ie I shot today do the folder would be named 01032019)

I open C1-12 and then open the folder I want to work on - ie 01032019

I review all the images - it really helpd being to do a 100% with just a click of the mouse and mark/rank the files I want to work with.

Once I'm satisified with the abouve step I delete the unwanted files to save disk space; I may wait a couple days just to be crtain I hadn't missed anything

I begin to process the files

I then save the files using a process receipt - I use a subfolder named "Photoshop" in 01032019 and save the files to that subfolder using the following:

Basic: Format TIFF 16Bit
Options Uncompressed 0
ICC Profife Adobe RGB (1998)
Resolution is 300
Scale fixed
100%
Open with: None

The output Location is Photoshop which is a subfolder of the parent folder I'm currently working on

I have the naming as such File - Name - Date _DSF3405 Church Dec 20 2018.tif

Process Summery looks like this

Attachments

Don Libby

Once the file is safely saved and located in the subfolder I can then open that file using Adobe Bridge. Clicking the image file will bypass ACR and open directly in PSCC where I can finish processing.

I choose TIFF over PSD because I feel it's a better file to save in and I've never had an issue over the years of using. Do a Google TIFF vs PSD and see the results.

As far as books - I've never found one however there are many videos on Capture One and YouTube made by C1 that address just about all the aspects of working in C1

Hope this helps

Meant to add this - I clone the file in C1-12 I want to work on and export that one to the Photoshop folder.

TimoK

Thanks
Dave
That happened also to me because I'm also making my move from Acr/Lightroom to C1. In Lightroom the default export folder is same as import folder and maybe some subfolder. In C1 you have to choose a new destination place every time when exporting.In other case all your exports are in "My first export/ tiff" folder! With Lightroom I have used to make a "tiff" subfolder into my raw picture folders, which is an easy way to me to order my pics.
As algrove said, it's important to choose the destination folder for tiffs or jpegs carefully every time when exporting.

gurtch

This is not very scientific (maybe I did not even do it correctly), I compared two methods of converting RAF images. Method one I used Capture 1 Express. All sharpening turned OFF. Then converted to jpg after enlarging to actual pixels optimized as best I could with the levels, curves etc. Method 2 batch converted to DNG, then processed to convert in ACR. Again, all sharpening turned OFF, optimized with levels, curves, etc. Then converted to jpg at actual pixels. First image is full frame, 2nd image is Capture 1. Third image is DNG. Unless I am missing something, the DNG process looks best. All criticisms, comments welcome---testing is not my forte.
MANY MANY thanks for all the help I have received.
Best to all
Dave in NJ_DSF0082.jpg0082-RAF converted to Tif in Capture 1 changed to jpg-actual pixels_DSF0082.jpg0082 DNG-converted in ACR then jpg actual pixels_DSF0082.jpg

ejpeiker

OK so C1, to get the files to whatever folder you want, simply set that folder in your output recipe which you get to by clicking on the little gear wheel. In the tools that open up you will see an Output Location section. there you can specify virtually anyplace on your computer or network to send the processed files to.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
This is not very scientific (maybe I did not even do it correctly), I compared two methods of converting RAF images. Method one I used Capture 1 Express. All sharpening turned OFF. Then converted to jpg after enlarging to actual pixels optimized as best I could with the levels, curves etc. Method 2 batch converted to DNG, then processed to convert in ACR. Again, all sharpening turned OFF, optimized with levels, curves, etc. Then converted to jpg at actual pixels. First image is full frame, 2nd image is Capture 1. Third image is DNG. Unless I am missing something, the DNG process looks best. All criticisms, comments welcome---testing is not my forte.
MANY MANY thanks for all the help I have received.
Best to all
Dave in NJ
C1 defaults to a noise reduction setting of 50. I would strongly suggest re-running your test with a noise reduction setting of between 0 and 15.