The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Trying to stay light. Family trip lens choices

Boinger

What do you think will be more useful. Mainly family probably indoors, rather confused.

Hasselblad X1d

30, 45, or 90

Pick 2.

jng

I would choose the 45 and 90, hands down. The 45 is great for candids and group photos, the 90 for portraits. If you manage to sneak out and need to shoot wider, you can always stitch. Enjoy the holidays!

John

JeRuFo

Agreed, unless you know you'll have to shoot a group photo indoors, I'd leave the 30. The 45 is probably a must for me, but it depends on your style. I think the group dynamic comes across nicely with a 35mm equivalent quite close to the action, but the 90 is nice for picking people out or shooting conversations from a slight distance and for detail shots of pretty lights etc.

Godfrey

I'm remembering back to last year's holiday trip. I took the M-D with 35 and 50 ... I only used the 35 for three exposures on the whole trip. If I'd had the 35 and 75 with me, I'd have used the 35 likely about 60% of the time.

So 30 + 90, or 45 alone, would be my pick too.

G