The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

XCD with NIKON Flash?

rollei8is

I have a NIKON SB 400 flash, It is not one of the recommended flashes by Hasselblad.
Is it safe to use, has anybody tried this combination.
Will it work? OR damage the XCD.
Any comment is welcome.
R---

msadat

i have tried a bunch of flashes Nikon or compatible on the x1d to see which one works, it seems they have hard coded sb900 in the camera.

so far godox, other nikon flashes, nissin dont work correctly. YONGNUO YN968N works well, it might be an sb900 clone! so to test you should be ok. it will fire but in my case over exposure

jng

From my admittedly very limited testing with the SB-700 on the X1D, it seems to work fine.

- John

robmac

As with the H series, you can use most modern hot shoe flashes with the camera IF you use a dumb adapter - and the flash in manual. Otherwise, if using a non-compatible flash you will get an error code, likely a camera lock-up requiring battery removal and maybe, maybe damage if pins get shorted, etc.

By a dumb adapter, I mean an adapter that mounts the TTL flash on one side but has only a centre pin (and the ground of course) on the camera side to allow simple triggering. Below is one I use on our H5D. It has the added benefit of having a PC socket and a min-phone socket.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/764618-REG/Nisha_HTS_UT_Hot_Shoe_Universal_Translator.html

Some flashes like the Profoto A1 can be used on H series bodies if you turn disable the all but the centre pin via the control panel on the A1 (I forget what the actual A1 mode is called).

Otherwise the camera is seeing something connected to the TTL pins but can't interpret what it is - hence the error code. You can tape over pins, but the tape will wear thru quickly.