The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rodenstock 180mm HR-S in Custom Cambo Mount with IQ4 150

Steve Hendrix

I thought there was a thread somewhere about 180mm lenses, perhaps it was Lula, at any rate I couldn't find it. But I was wondering how the 80mm image circle of the HR-S would fare with the IQ4 150.

So I was out strolling the courtyard behind our office and someone left a 24 patch color checker laying there, and I thought - opportunity! So I grabbed the requisite items and did it up. Bottom line - I'm, I don't know, kind of shocked. Jpgs are attached, no color cast, no sign of the physical edge of the lens. This was IQ4 150 on Cambo WRS 1600 with the 180 HR-S in Cambo Custom mount (long helical with short barrel). No nothing bad. And sharp everywhere I had it focused regardless of the 40mm movement. You have to search for the focus point a bit, because the length of the lens and the proximity to the subject (pretty close).

PM me if anyone wants raw files. For IQ4 150 users wanting a longer lens with tons of shift, I see no reason to not consider this lens:

https://www.cambo.com/en/wide-rs-series/wrs-digital-lenspanels/wds-180l/

Steve Hendrix/CI

Attachments

Steve Hendrix

I thought there was a thread somewhere about 180mm lenses, perhaps it was Lula, at any rate I couldn't find it. But I was wondering how the 80mm image circle of the HR-S would fare with the IQ4 150.

So I was out strolling the courtyard behind our office and someone left a 24 patch color checker laying there, and I thought - opportunity! So I grabbed the requisite items and did it up. Bottom line - I'm, I don't know, kind of shocked. Jpgs are attached, no color cast, no sign of the physical edge of the lens. This was IQ4 150 on Cambo WRS 1600 with the 180 HR-S in Cambo Custom mount (long helical with short barrel). No nothing bad. And sharp everywhere I had it focused regardless of the 40mm movement. You have to search for the focus point a bit, because the length of the lens and the proximity to the subject (pretty close).

PM me if anyone wants raw files. For IQ4 150 users wanting a longer lens with tons of shift, I see no reason to not consider this lens:

https://www.cambo.com/en/wide-rs-series/wrs-digital-lenspanels/wds-180l/

Steve Hendrix/CI

There were no LCC's created for this test, even though I was maxed out on the WRS 1600 at +20mm left shift and -20mm vertical fall (total of 40mm movements). Note, this 180mm lens is in a special short barrel mount, custom created by Cambo, that discourages vignetting. It is also available in Tilt/Swing mount, which I would recommend.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Pemihan

Hi Steve, I don't get how you can achieve those movements with a 80mm image circle?

Peter

Steve Hendrix

Hi Steve, I don't get how you can achieve those movements with a 80mm image circle?

Peter

I know, Peter, right?

And yet, voilà, there it is.

It's like magic!

But just because you mentioned it, it got me to thinking, well, wait a minute, I shouldn't have been able to do that. Did I screw up? Was it really 20mm + 20mm? Or did I use 15mm + 15mm? Or .. ? So I did it again today.

Yup, no problem. It is magic.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

dchew

Steve,
@ 20mm and the orientation you had, that is a 96.7mm diagonal/IC. You should set it up with the back oriented 90 degrees and do it again. That would be 102mm. Let's find out where the IC really is!

Very cool lens.

Dave

Pemihan

Steve,
@ 20mm and the orientation you had, that is a 96.7mm diagonal/IC. You should set it up with the back oriented 90 degrees and do it again. That would be 102mm. Let's find out where the IC really is!

Very cool lens.

Dave

If I understand it correctly Steve did 20mm shift and 20 mm rise at the same time! That would make for a IC of 120+mm.

On another note I recently picked up a 210mm Sinar Sinaron S (Rodenstock APO Sinaron N) which I plan to have mounted in Cambo T/S mount. It has a whopping 301mm IC! I have seen test images shot with a 80MP back which looks great.

Steve Hendrix

If I understand it correctly Steve did 20mm shift and 20 mm rise at the same time! That would make for a IC of 120+mm.

On another note I recently picked up a 210mm Sinar Sinaron S (Rodenstock APO Sinaron N) which I plan to have mounted in Cambo T/S mount. It has a whopping 301mm IC! I have seen test images shot with a 80MP back which looks great.

In landscape orientation, I shifted the IQ4 150 left 20mm while simultaneously shifting the IQ4 150 down 20mm.

Monday, I'll try a vertical orientation to see if I can get to the edge of the image circle.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Pemihan

In landscape orientation, I shifted the IQ4 150 left 20mm while simultaneously shifting the IQ4 150 down 20mm.

Monday, I'll try a vertical orientation to see if I can get to the edge of the image circle.

Steve Hendrix/CI
If I'm not mistaken it should be exactly the same result, you would just be doing it "in reverse" so to speak...

dchew

Ah. I should read more carefully...
:facesmack:

Dave

narikin

The Rodenstock HR-S range are amongst the very best out there, for out and out resolution, and are very under-rated for reasons I cannot understand. I've sung their praises here many times.

The 100mm is truly off the charts sharp, the 60mm and 35mm not far behind. Both are f4.
The 180mm I've never used, but would love to try. (Hardly go that long ever, but still...)

I didn't know about the potentially large coverage of 180mm, but great to know. Thanks Steve.

Steve Hendrix

The Rodenstock HR-S range are amongst the very best out there, for out and out resolution, and are very under-rated for reasons I cannot understand. I've sung their praises here many times.

The 100mm is truly off the charts sharp, the 60mm and 35mm not far behind. Both are f4.
The 180mm I've never used, but would love to try. (Hardly go that long ever, but still...)

I didn't know about the potentially large coverage of 180mm, but great to know. Thanks Steve.

This is true. The HR-S series was created around the time that multi-shot backs were the mainstream, with not just 4 shot modes, but 16 shot modes, which only captured a portion of the photosite. So lenses needed to be higher resolving, the primary downside of the HR-S lenses being the relatively small image circles. And that is where most of the criticism has come from. But remember this was the time of "medium format" sensors being 36mm x 24mm** (and 6 megapixels!). A 60mm - 80mm image circle works quite well on a 36mm x 24mm sensor. So, the IQ4 150 does bring some new shifting life to those very fine HR-S lenses, that were certainly more compromised with previous 54mm x 40mm sensor sizes.

**Also, this throws an interesting light on how 44mm x 33mm "crop" sensors are not really medium format... but back in the day, 36mm x 24mm sensors were?

:rolleyes:

Steve Hendrix/CI