The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Issues with IQ4 solved

Ztacir

I was so excited to try my brand new IQ4 as it was sitting in its box for a week.
This is my third back from Phase one as I have been very happy with my IQ 180 and IQ3 on my XF and Cambo WRS 1600. When I took the back out from the box, I heard some clicking noise from inside the back as there was a small loose metal leftover inside.
Anyways, first I decided to give it a try on the XF with SCHNEİDER 80mm. First, I wanted to see Liveview as the new live histogram and live focus were spoused to be two most importamf improvements. Until live view covered full screen, everyhing including live focus points was ok but when I started to see live histogram, my live view got so slow or completely blocked as I have to reboot the back. However, I was unable to reboot unless I have to remove the battery.
After I was able to restart again, I was never able to take a picture using any shutter or aperture combinations as it was apparent that the back had some software issues.
However, I was not ready to give up and I put it on my Cambo with 40mm Rodie using electronic shutter. It was more humiliating and disappointing this time.
Livevies was on but it was incredibly slow and the screen was so dim that I could hardly focus as there is no live histogram nor live focusing points with live view.
Then I wanted to take my first picture but this time it gave me an error saying abort capturing.
Yes, this is my first hour which spoused to be greatest and most exciting with my $50,000 brand new back. However, at least I can listen to the clicking noise coming from the back. I am happy that I had my IQ3 as a backup.
I am sure Phase will solve my problems but I am very pieced off to be put in this situation.

earburner

Just out of interest, did you update your xf firmware to the iq4 firmware. I had some fun where the update didn't install properly. After reinstalling it and make sure you accept the upgrade on the XF body in the process and make sure you have the prism attached, mine sorted itself out

kdphotography

I think I would be more concerned to hear some clicking or rattling from leftover pieces of metal inside the MFDB.

That's simply not normal. :shocked:

I wouldn't want to troubleshoot anything else.

Bummer---hope your dealer and Phase gets it solved quickly.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I'm very sorry for the bad out-of-the-box experience! This is where your dealer earns their keep; helping put this bad experience quickly in the rearview mirror so you can enjoy your new camera. I assume you've already reached out to them?

In the meanwhile, I'm glad to help try to get you up and running. I *think* you just need to update your XF firmware and learn about the Exposure Simulation behavior of the IQ4 Live View and you'll be up and taking images today.

When I took the back out from the box, I heard some clicking noise from inside the back as there was a small loose metal leftover inside.
That doesn't sound right. Definitely speak to your dealer about that!

Anyways, first I decided to give it a try on the XF with SCHNEİDER 80mm. First, I wanted to see Liveview as the new live histogram and live focus were spoused to be two most importamf improvements. Until live view covered full screen, everyhing including live focus points was ok but when I started to see live histogram, my live view got so slow or completely blocked as I have to reboot the back. However, I was unable to reboot unless I have to remove the battery.
[...]
Livevies was on but it was incredibly slow and the screen was so dim that I could hardly focus as there is no live histogram nor live focusing points with live view.[...]I was never able to take a picture using any shutter or aperture combinations.
Did your dealer walk you through upgrade your XF firmware? You should not use the IQ4 on an XF with older firmware, only an XF with the firmware just released that provides IQ4 compatibility.

The IQ4 Live View offers Exposure Simulation, so the live view is likely slow and dim because the shutter speed and ISO it is set to is slow and dim. Change the shutter speed to something reasonably fast like 1/30th and turn up the ISO until the image is appropriately bright. Otherwise if the shutter speed was set to something very long like 1" then the live view would be very very slow to respond (and in at least one situation we've seen it lock up as a result).

However, I was not ready to give up and I put it on my Cambo with 40mm Rodie using electronic shutter. It was more humiliating and disappointing this time.
[...]
Then I wanted to take my first picture but this time it gave me an error saying abort capturing.
It sounds like your back is not in ES mode. [Menu > Camera Settings > Electronic Shutter > On]. That would 100% explain the "abort capturing" message.

Paul2660

Hopefully the IQ4 liveview offers both exposure simulation and a balanced view view for low light? Similar to how all other DSLR cameras work? At least ones from Nikon, Fuji, Canon and Sony. I realize the IQ3 did not have exposure simulation capabilities. I assumed the IQ4 would allow the user to turn it on or off depending on the shooting situation.

Paul C

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Hopefully the IQ4 liveview offers both exposure simulation and a balanced view view for low light? Similar to how all other DSLR cameras work? At least ones from Nikon, Fuji, Canon and Sony. I realize the IQ3 did not have exposure simulation capabilities. I assumed the IQ4 would allow the user to turn it on or off depending on the shooting situation.
That’s my understanding. It just didn’t make the cut for v1 of the firmware.

Ztacir

I alrady contacted my dealer in Turkey and we will upgrade the firmware this week and I hope it will remedy all of my problems. However, my XF was delivered with my back at the same time from the factory and there is no new update since the delivery. I have no idea why they are not delivered with uptodate software.

For the metal noise from probably a moving loose part inside, I will definetely not accept this back and certainly require a new one. I wait to hear from Phase for the time being.

Paul2660

There is confusion it seems on the moving part. Is it in the physical back, IQ4 or in the XF camera body?

If in the IQ4 most definitely firmware will not resolve it. The back has no moving parts that I am aware of unless P1 added something with the IQ4.

Hopefully the dealer will replace it.

Paul C

chrismuc

Hmm, reminds me when I got my IQ180 some years ago. First back had visible sensor tiles, was exchanged (luckily), afterwards it took several software updates until the back finally flawlessly worked.
PhaseOne and reliability for newly released products ... acc. my experience not at all on the level of FujiSonyCanon ... (especially considering the price)

Ztacir

I checked out the firmware version on my IQ4 and it seemed as if it were the latest one. Then I called my local dealer and he swore to me that they upgraded the back and the XF as well. However, I wanted to make sure that it had the latest version and I upgraded it once more. Noppppp, all of the problems were still making me crazy but I suspected that upgrading the back took just a few seconds which was not suppsed to be that fast and I reupgraded again and I finally got the message from the back that it needed an upgraded version of the firmware:toocool:
So that was it, I went on and finished upgrading it and the back started working fluently with both XF and Cambo WRS:cry:
I will take more pictures and share my experience here soon.
About the noise, it was still there in the morning but not in the afternoon:banghead: What’s going on? The loose metal probably got stuck somewhere for the time being but I am sure it will come back at me.
Anyways, I wish everyone here the best New Year ever.

Boinger

I checked out the firmware version on my IQ4 and it seemed as if it were the latest one. Then I called my local dealer and he swore to me that they upgraded the back and the XF as well. However, I wanted to make sure that it had the latest version and I upgraded it once more. Noppppp, all of the problems were still making me crazy but I suspected that upgrading the back took just a few seconds which was not suppsed to be that fast and I reupgraded again and I finally got the message from the back that it needed an upgraded version of the firmware:toocool:
So that was it, I went on and finished upgrading it and the back started working fluently with both XF and Cambo WRS:cry:
I will take more pictures and share my experience here soon.
About the noise, it was still there in the morning but not in the afternoon:banghead: What’s going on? The loose metal probably got stuck somewhere for the time being but I am sure it will come back at me.
Anyways, I wish everyone here the best New Year ever.
You should still try to get it replaced don't want it to cause an internal short circuit on some random day.