The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 Firmware Update Feature Wish List

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Self Timer is essential for ES. For now, with no active remote release or self timer option
XF release and BOB release both work fine with the IQ4 on a tech camera (that was the whole idea of switching the IQ4 port to be the same as the XF port). Of course, that does not obviate the need to have a self timer, which should come soon.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I am taking this to mean that the 4150 does not have a delay timer for the ES the same as the IQ3. Am I incorrect in this?

To me this is an unbelievable omission as my sole use for a DB is on a Tech Camera.
Remember that from the IQ3 to the IQ4 they changed the sensor, all internal hardware, operating system, UI, and external interfaces. All at the same time.

That means every single feature P1 wanted on the IQ4, they had to make from scratch. Including any feature that was already implemented on the older IQ1/2/3 platform. Honestly, it's pretty gutsy to completely revamp a product like this; I'd say they got 95% of the way there before shipping firmware 1.0. That's both praise for getting pretty close, and an acknowledgment that they fell short in a few places.

Lack of copal/external sync in firmware 1.0 is the most glaring omission (though DT developed a workaround for our clients who needed high-speed sync with strobe on a tech camera), but there are a handful of smaller-but-still-important items not yet implemented from the baseline of the IQ3. For example, I too am flummoxed that they didn't get a ES self timer button in for firmware 1.0, but I'm quite sure this, along with other low-hanging fruit, will be added in quite quickly. Looking at the list on this page I suspect most of the wish list will be polished off soon, opening the way to let us all dream a bit bigger.

Happy new year everyone!

Jamgolf

Based on the awesome firmware updates Phase One provided for IQ3 and XF which brought the owners features such as the electronic shutter and AFr mode, I have no doubt that Phase One will rectify these issues. I think Phase One is a truly photography focused company providing tools and solutions that are meaningful to photographers - I am a fan and really believe in this company.

Having said that, not having support for triggering copal shutter and on top of that not even having an icon to trigger the electronic shutter - WTF?

Seems like a sales/marketing driven decision and not an engineering/product development driven decision.

I like the way this list is shaping up.

I'm encountering an altogether unacceptable amount of Green and Purple CA. Here are a couple crops about 33% zoomed in. Could be the combo of lens and back, as it is the SK 80 2.8 on the new IQ4 150. Could be other factors.

Still, processing through C1 12, the Purple defringe slider does absolutely nothing.

Outside of that, the performance of the new back on the XF is rather freeing. I have yet to put it through the paces on my tech cam. Live view will be a chore until we get the expo sim on/off switch.

Thoughts?

Attachments

Craig Stocks

As I understand it (and I could easily be wrong) CA is primarily a function of the lens. A higher resolution back should do a better job resolving CA but I wouldn't expect it to create it.

Looking at test images when I was trimming the new back I do think I see more CA with the 80mm than other lenses. I've mostly shot with either the 150 or 35 BR and don't notice any significant CA with either of those.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I like the way this list is shaping up.

I'm encountering an altogether unacceptable amount of Green and Purple CA. Here are a couple crops about 33% zoomed in. Could be the combo of lens and back, as it is the SK 80 2.8 on the new IQ4 150. Could be other factors.
The 80LS BR received a B rating from us for use with 150mp. CA was a big factor in that. By most points of comparison it’s a darn good lens, but using a full frame 645 150mp sensor (if viewed at 100%, or printed very large) reveals any weakness in a lens. https://phaseoneiq4.com/lenses-for-150-megapixels/

Gerd

I'm a little surprised about the SK 150 LS BR f / 2.8 and CA´s. I had two versions. A new version and one from the Rent. Both versions had unacceptable uncorrectable CA´s on an IQ3 100 Tr.

Greeting Gerd

algrove

I am taking this to mean that the 4150 does not have a delay timer for the ES the same as the IQ3. Am I incorrect in this?

To me this is an unbelievable omission as my sole use for a DB is on a Tech Camera.

Victor
I was told by a dealer on 26 Dec that for tech cams the delay timer was not working nor the cable release for ES since that port had not yet been activated. Perhaps they both work on the XF, but as a tech cam user not only am I not pleased since starting in one week I head to Europe and upon return head out West and both trips look to be without the IQ4nothing.

My disappointment at this point with Phase is that they were touting all the great tech cam features that were possible, but it never ocurred to me that all the IQ3 features were not already in place and they would be advancing from that point forward.

algrove

Selftimer / Vibrationdelay all works perfectly fine. Not everything has to be blown out of proportion.

There is certainly a need for a quick firmware update to bring back iq3 features. I would urge phase to start communicating after the holidays. Otherwise all the open communication promises from the recent webinars is bs.
Assume your statement applies to XF use with the IQ4 and not tech cam use.

Paul2660

Still surprising to me, that P1 sells the 400.00 Bob, which is the end all be all (Per P1) cable release, to take forwards. Has both a 10 pin and 12 pin solution (over 1 year ago). 12 pin was for the XF body, then you used the 12 to 10 pin L cable for the ES (10 pin) on the IQ100.

Surprised that it seems for now the 12 pin connector on the IQ4 is not operational? as by marketing from P1 and design, the BOB should work.

Hopefully for those who made the investment in the 2018 BOB, P1 will not require an update to that also to work with the ES on the IQ4.

Folks, the pins are there and the plugs are there with the current BOB.

Add to this the issue (as I understand it) the lack of an Adhoc wifi capability. Does anyone know of a way to use Capture Pilot in the field, non tethered, no router with an IQ4 without the Adhoc wifi. Capture Pilot also would allow the tech users a way to fire the shutter BTW.

Paul C

Craig Stocks

Add to this the issue (as I understand it) the lack of an Adhoc wifi capability. Does anyone know of a way to use Capture Pilot in the field, non tethered, no router with an IQ4 without the Adhoc wifi. Capture Pilot also would allow the tech users a way to fire the shutter BTW.

Paul C
It appears that Capture Pilot is only supported if there is a Capture One image server running. I tried using WiFi tethering to C1 and connecting CP to that but everything stalls while images are uploaded so it only works for one frame (or a very slow shooting pace). I'd like to see a CP option for camera control only and skip the image review.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Still surprising to me, that P1 sells the 400.00 Bob, which is the end all be all (Per P1) cable release, to take forwards. Has both a 10 pin and 12 pin solution (over 1 year ago). 12 pin was for the XF body, then you used the 12 to 10 pin L cable for the ES (10 pin) on the IQ100.

Surprised that it seems for now the 12 pin connector on the IQ4 is not operational? as by marketing from P1 and design, the BOB should work.

Hopefully for those who made the investment in the 2018 BOB, P1 will not require an update to that also to work with the ES on the IQ4.

Folks, the pins are there and the plugs are there with the current BOB.
Paul: you may have missed my post above where I stated "XF release and BOB release both work fine with the IQ4 on a tech camera."

DT is testing a prototype of the new 12-pin flash sync cable today (ie. the cable you need to sync flash with the IQ4 on a tech camera, if you aren't using the DT workaround). We are awaiting an ETA for production versions of this cable.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I got notification today that my back has arrived at my dealer but I have decided not to take delivery of it for now, given that it sounds like there is no good way of using it on a tech camera (no timer, no cable, no remote trigger) because I need to be able to use either a copal shutter or a one-shot. Much more than half my work with the back is on an Alpa rather than on the XF and I cannot be without that ability.

My current understanding is that the only way to trigger the shutter on a tech cam is to use ES and to press the screen or a button to initiate a non-delayed release - thereby risking shake.

Has anyone come up with an alternative that would let me take delivery? I am fairly well itching to get my hands on it but I am not willing to to so until it is un-hobbled.

EDIT: I am told by multiple sources that Hahnel manufacture a $99 cable that will fit into and trigger an IQ4 back so I am trying to scope out that possibility with my dealer. AM also willing to be lent a $400 "BOB" made by Phase that will do the same thing.

Last edited:

narikin

The 80LS BR received a B rating from us for use with 150mp. CA was a big factor in that. By most points of comparison it’s a darn good lens, but using a full frame 645 150mp sensor (if viewed at 100%, or printed very large) reveals any weakness in a lens. https://phaseoneiq4.com/lenses-for-150-megapixels/
To add: anyone requiring an 80mm on XF would be better off going for one of the previous generation (non LS) Phase/Mamiya D lenses. The redesign of the lens to incorporate space for the Leaf Shutter resulted in a drop of ultimate resolution. It's not publicized, but is a known issue: the SK 80LS is not as sharp as the Mamiya-Phase 80D.

I own both and the difference is clear.
Of course if you *must have LS, then you have no option.

Nutcracker

I got notification today that my back has arrived at my dealer but I have decided not to take delivery of it for now, given that it sounds like there is no good way of using it on a tech camera (no timer, no cable, no remote trigger) because I need to be able to use either a copal shutter or a one-shot. Much more than half my work with the back is on an Alpa rather than on the XF and I cannot be without that ability.

My current understanding is that the only way to trigger the shutter on a tech cam is to use ES and to press the screen or a button to initiate a non-delayed release - thereby risking shake.

Has anyone come up with an alternative that would let me take delivery? I am fairly well itching to get my hands on it but I am not willing to to so until it is un-hobbled.
I ordered with the new cable, having been alerted by Alpa that the new back would not take the 180 or IQ3 cable, so I guess I too will be waiting a little longer before being offered delivery.
I shall be very patient

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

Is there something unclear about my previous two posts or are they just being overlooked in a long thread?

There are three ways (today) to trigger the ES of an IQ4 mounted on a tech camera. The on screen button, XF cable release (which connects directly to the IQ4), and the BOB.

In addition DT has a reasonable workaround that provides our clients high speed flash sync for the IQ4 (with today’s firmware) on a tech camera. You can PM for details.

There will be additional triggering options when P1 ships the new IQ4 Multiport-to-Sync cable and releases new IQ4 firmware. I would expect that to be weeks, not months.

Last edited:

narikin

I ordered with the new cable, having been alerted by Alpa that the new back would not take the 180 or IQ3 cable, so I guess I too will be waiting a little longer before being offered delivery.
I shall be very patient
Very sensible of you.
Wish i had done the same.

Phase owe it's large base of tech users a big apology, *and* some kind of recompense.

tashley

Subscriber Member
Is there something unclear about my previous two posts or are they just being overlooked in a long thread?

There are three ways (today) to trigger the ES on a tech camera. The on screen button, XF cable release (which connects directly to the IQ4), and the BOB.

In addition DT has a reasonable workaround that provides our clients high speed flash sync for the IQ4 (with today’s firmware) on a tech camera. You can PM for details.

This should all be moot when P1 ships the new sync cable and new firmware. I would expect that to be weeks, not months.
Thank you Doug. I assume that by 'BOB" you mean something like a one shot cable? It isn't an acronym that was familiar to me. And I'm not sure what you mean by the XF cable release? My XF connects to my IQ3100 purely by its own mating pins so I don't have a cable that connects it to the back. When in the studio with the XF I tend to either shoot handheld and therefore with the release button, or tethered.

So maybe there are some bits of kit with which I'm not familiar and which would help here?

EDIT: I've just read all the thread again, and looked on the Phase website. I am unsure as to what the difference is between the "phase one cable release' and the "BOB". All it says on the website is

"B.O.B - Cable Release
External shutter control is a must, be it in the field or in the studio. The Phase One Break Out Box, or B.O.B, is a dynamic tool that is designed to meet your specific needs. With backwards compatibility for legacy Mamiya/Phase One accessories, the option for power, and the ability to customize the cable length, B.O.B is much more than your average shutter release. Customize the button’s function, and use it to activate two-step mirror control."

There is no other cable release listed. I don't think I received a BOB in my IQ3100 delivery and a new one is £400 which seems, I'm afraid, an unacceptable burn given that I've never felt the need for one before and won't need one as soon as the delay timer is reinstated or the new cable arrives....

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
This time with links for clarity...

The XF Cable Release (should probably be renamed now that it works for either XF or IQ4-on-tech-camera) and the BOB Cable both work to trigger the ES of an IQ4 when on a tech camera; both cables also work as cable releases for an XF body with any IQ back.

The XF cable release would be preferable (since it's less expensive) in all cases other than when you need BOTH a cable release and AC power into the XF body.

If you are unhappy with the idea of purchasing an XF Cable Release (US$99), I'd suggest speaking with the dealer from whom you purchased the IQ4. I'm sure they can find a way to make you happy.

The DT Workaround would also provide you the option of using the copal shutter (with on traditional cable release) with ES, without vibration. Assuming you have a traditional mechanical cable release, no other costs would be required. I'll PM you the details.

Last edited: