The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 Firmware Update Feature Wish List

onasj

I’m hoping this thread will find its way to P1 to help guide their firmware update goals. Feel free to expand on the list:

-Full tech camera compatibility (including Copal shutter). Will require a new 12-pin cable as previously noted.

-16-bit Sensor+ mode (38 MP from pixel binning, but without losing 16-bit depth; currently only 14-bit Sensor+ mode is available)

-Allow one of the physical buttons on the back to trigger the electronic shutter (instead of an on-screen button only)

-Allow XF seismograph-triggered shutter release to have a user-configurable vibration threshold so it can facilitate handheld captures (likely an XF firmware issue but I think this feature could be very useful, so worth mentioning here!)

-Fix power management (heat!) and short battery life, and enable XF-IQ4 battery sharing.

-Allow live view exposure simulation to be turned on or off.

-Shorten (greatly!) the boot up time.

Last edited:

dchew

In addition to live view exposure simulation turned off, I would like a setable minimum shutter speed in live view that automatically chooses an appropriate ISO speed when live view is engaged.

For example, I’m shooting something at 1 sec / 50 ISO at f/11 on a tech camera using electronic shutter. In order to go into live view with reasonable feedback times, I need to dial up the ISO to ~1600 and the shutter speed up to ~1/30. Frame, focus, then back out of live view and reset the ISO and ES.

But if I could hard-set live view no slower than 1/30sec, then the back would calculate the correct ISO to give me equivalent simulated exposure to 1sec/50iso while in live view. Then, I wouldn’t have to go back and forth with ISO and ES.

I hope I explained that well enough.

Dave

Paul2660

Exactly. Just like the current IQ3 works. I have wanted exposure preview for live view for years but I never figured it would be the only option.

For low light work the current way the IQ3 handles live view seems better.

Paul C

Craig Stocks

Smart implementation of exposure simulation in live view and/or the ability to revert to normal live view easily.

Focus mask on image review

Heat map exposure view

Capture Pilot support on an ad hoc network

Faster startup

Paul2660

Most if not all modern DSLR cameras offer the ability to preview liveview either based on current aperture/shutter speed/ISO i.e. exposure simulation. They also have an option to fill in exposure to balance out the view for either a low light situation or when using flash.

For example with Nikon, when in live view by hitting the “OK” button on the back of the camera you can switch between these modes.

With Fuij it more complicated as you have go into screen settings and it takes a few more seconds.

Current P1 backs besides the IQ4 did not offer exposure simulation. Instead you had the option to increase or decrease screen brightness in live view to allow illumination to help in manual focusing and or views at 100 percent.

Paul C

k-hawinkler

Thanks Paul. I am familiar with Nikon, Sony, and Fuji cameras. I simply hadn't come across that particular wording. :grin:

vonalpen

I was able to test the new IQ4 150 over Christmas for several days and compare it with my IQ3 100, using it on my extensive ALPA system (no XF), firmware was 1.00.2.
I exclusively shoot with the electronic shutter. The results have been very convincing so I ordered the upgrade, also informing ALPA and my Phase One dealer here in Switzerland about my findings in detail. A brand-new sync cable, compatible with the new 12 pin layout, was included in the test kit and will be delivered with any new IQ4.
Some glitches occurred, they can easily be resolved with firmware updates and have already been listed in this thread.
What else:
  • Self timer (programmable like on the IQ3 / I cannot figure why they didn't implement it in the current firmware in the first place / I don't want to use any cables anymore...) If you're not careful, some images might be blurred using the soft release button without a delay due to camera shake.
  • Free configuration of the four hard buttons: I could easily see several settings assigned directly to these buttons. e.g. when wearing gloves in a cold environment....
  • In the metadata, it is still only possible to dial in the aperture. I'd like to be able to store values for shifts and tilts for every image, where applied, and the focal length (how about several preconfigured settings you can choose from?). The only advantage so far: The last set aperture is stored, so when turning on the back, you don't always have to start with an empty setting....
  • Store location data, e.g. transferring it from a mobile phone (but the back doesn't have Bluetooth built in...). I currently sync my files in Lightroom with the GPS data from a Garmin device.

Hope Phase One is following this thread....

algrove

So when you get a new car the cruise control works, but somehow Phase has released a new car not ready for the road.

Craig Stocks

Personally I’m not interested in any new features (such as frame averaging) until they bring every feature up to what was available on the IQ3. To leave out so many important tools is unthinkable. I certainly hope they aren’t wasting programming time on anything other than that.

vjbelle

Can't believe that a delay timer isn't available in the firmware. For that reason alone I wouldn't upgrade......

Victor

Paul2660

With the self timer what is available? Anything?

The XF has a excellently designed intervalometer, does that work?

Does the seismic sensor work. I believe P1 used the term seismic, may have that wrong. But it’s the sensor that determines vibrations and holds the shutter until it determines no vibration. That sensor can be set to a time interval or infinity.

Thanks
Paul C

vjbelle

[*]Self timer (programmable like on the IQ3 / I cannot figure why they didn't implement it in the current firmware in the first place / I don't want to use any cables anymore...) If you're not careful, some images might be blurred using the soft release button without a delay due to camera shake.

Hope Phase One is following this thread....
I am taking this to mean that the 4150 does not have a delay timer for the ES the same as the IQ3. Am I incorrect in this?

To me this is an unbelievable omission as my sole use for a DB is on a Tech Camera.

Victor

Christopher

Selftimer / Vibrationdelay all works perfectly fine. Not everything has to be blown out of proportion.

There is certainly a need for a quick firmware update to bring back iq3 features. I would urge phase to start communicating after the holidays. Otherwise all the open communication promises from the recent webinars is bs.

dchew

I am taking this to mean that the 4150 does not have a delay timer for the ES the same as the IQ3. Am I incorrect in this?

To me this is an unbelievable omission as my sole use for a DB is on a Tech Camera.

Victor
The delay timer icon on the ES screen does not (yet) exist on the IQ4150 and I could not find a place in the menu to do it. So no, I do not think it can be engaged. Delicate taps are in order. Also, the back doesn't count up during exposure. It really isn't all that tech camera friendly yet.

Dave

Steve Hendrix

The delay timer icon on the ES screen does not (yet) exist on the IQ4150 and I could not find a place in the menu to do it. So no, I do not think it can be engaged. Delicate taps are in order. Also, the back doesn't count up during exposure. It really isn't all that tech camera friendly yet.

Dave

Self Timer is essential for ES. For now, with no active remote release or self timer option, very delicate taps are in order. Keep in mind this is a proximity screen, so it is possible to engage the shutter release of the ES without really tapping it, just carefully hold your finger up to it until it senses it.

We did receive a sample remote release cable today that we are testing, so that should not be far off.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Paul2660

Won’t the P1 Bob cable work? I thought it would fire the back with ES when back was not on a XF , ie a tech camera.

When back is on XF, Bob has to be connected to XF.

Paul C