The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One IQ4 Firmware Update Feature Wish List

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
In the metadata, it is still only possible to dial in the aperture. I'd like to be able to store values for shifts and tilts for every image, where applied, and the focal length (how about several preconfigured settings you can choose from?). The only advantage so far: The last set aperture is stored, so when turning on the back, you don't always have to start with an empty setting....

Hope Phase One is following this thread....
+1000

I don’t know why they have never implemented the ability to record the actual lens data, including the ability to set up your lens “list” with focal lengths.

Nutcracker

I now have my IQ4 150 back since yesterday, and have had a lot of fun today putting it through some paces, very happy indeed.
Used on XF with remote trigger, great.
Also used on Alpa using the XF cable release a la Doug Peterson on the IQ body to trigger ES. The silence is disconcerting but it certainly works nicely.
I understand from Phase that Alpa are working on the Copal release cable. Hopefully they are also working on one for the FPS so that I will be able to use my Nikon 19mm at some stage.
The XQD card is a big improvement on the CF, especially convenient since my Nikons use it.
I hope the 12 pin cables will not be long delayed, but I have no reservations so far, everything from PhaseOne pleases.
Perhaps I am too readily satisfied. but hey, I'm happy!

Orley

My IQ4 just arrived too. So far, it is a huge improvement over the image quality of the IQ3-100. Shooting ocean-scapes with 23 and 32 Rodenstock with practically no color cast is unbelievable.

After reading Paul's comments, I pulled the Hannel release out of my bag, plugged it into my new IQ4 and fired off several shots with no problem. THANK YOU!!

Since I always shoot at f-11, a workaround to record the lens length when shooting a tech camera is to use the metadata field for aperture. The 23 mm Rodenstock would be 2.2, the 32 mm would be 3.2, ect. Hopefully P1 will provide a better method but for now this is working for me.

tashley

Subscriber Member
In the pre-sales literature there were the headlines 'Capture One Inside" and 'JPEG processing in camera'.

I took this, possibly naively and possibly just hopefully, but I really don't think unreasonably, to assume that you could, post-capture, apply a style or some basic adjustments, and process the IIQ file to a full resolution JPEG on one of the cards.

Very useful to me, because my workflow with all my other cameras these days when travelling or in the field, is to use an iPad Pro.

As it happens, .IIQ files cannot be read by any iPad software I can find (certainly not Photos or LR, and there is no C1 for iPad) and as it also happens, the claims made pre-sales are, well let's just say, only technically true: if you set the SD card to save JPEGS only then the camera will use whatever style you have selected to process the IIQ full to JPEG and save it to that card. At a non-user selectable resolution of just 1200 x 1600. I quote,

'JPEG versions are reduced in resolution and can thus greatly speed up the workflow when needing to review the shots fast on location with clients or handing JPEG copies off to clients or an art director by giving them the JPEG versions on an SD card.'

So come on Phase: you bang on about the futuristic qualities of the back but your much-vaunted features of C1 and JPEG inside are capable of producing what was standard resolution in what year? 1998?

Get real, get cracking, produce a MUCH higher resolution JPEG in camera or if you cannot do it, back off the hype in your marketing. Really.

So that's it. I must admit to feeling rather mislead and to wondering which art directors are happy with judging shot quality from a 1200 x 1600 jpeg.

Quick battery life testing update:

Tethered shooting, back remained on, charging via tether turned off.
First Shot: 10:27am
Last Shot: 1:00pm
Total shots 66

10s Self timer used on 2/3 of them
Air remote for flash

Over 2.5 hrs and 66 shots, I went through 3 full charged batteries, drained as confirmed by the cube2pro charger.

Hope that gets figured out.

To add: anyone requiring an 80mm on XF would be better off going for one of the previous generation (non LS) Phase/Mamiya D lenses. The redesign of the lens to incorporate space for the Leaf Shutter resulted in a drop of ultimate resolution. It's not publicized, but is a known issue: the SK 80LS is not as sharp as the Mamiya-Phase 80D.

I own both and the difference is clear.
Of course if you *must have LS, then you have no option.
The sharpness on my 80LS (non BR) is fine to my eyes but the CA is unacceptable. Every out of focus area of contrast is absolutely saturated with CA.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I like the way this list is shaping up.

I'm encountering an altogether unacceptable amount of Green and Purple CA. Here are a couple crops about 33% zoomed in. Could be the combo of lens and back, as it is the SK 80 2.8 on the new IQ4 150. Could be other factors.

Still, processing through C1 12, the Purple defringe slider does absolutely nothing.

Outside of that, the performance of the new back on the XF is rather freeing. I have yet to put it through the paces on my tech cam. Live view will be a chore until we get the expo sim on/off switch.

Thoughts?
I'm getting the same thing - still, I can always do what I always have to do anyway, which is to export as a TIFF and finish the job in Lightroom, which will get rid of this colour fringing in a moment....

Boinger

In the pre-sales literature there were the headlines 'Capture One Inside" and 'JPEG processing in camera'.

I took this, possibly naively and possibly just hopefully, but I really don't think unreasonably, to assume that you could, post-capture, apply a style or some basic adjustments, and process the IIQ file to a full resolution JPEG on one of the cards.

Very useful to me, because my workflow with all my other cameras these days when travelling or in the field, is to use an iPad Pro.

As it happens, .IIQ files cannot be read by any iPad software I can find (certainly not Photos or LR, and there is no C1 for iPad) and as it also happens, the claims made pre-sales are, well let's just say, only technically true: if you set the SD card to save JPEGS only then the camera will use whatever style you have selected to process the IIQ full to JPEG and save it to that card. At a non-user selectable resolution of just 1200 x 1600. I quote,

'JPEG versions are reduced in resolution and can thus greatly speed up the workflow when needing to review the shots fast on location with clients or handing JPEG copies off to clients or an art director by giving them the JPEG versions on an SD card.'

So come on Phase: you bang on about the futuristic qualities of the back but your much-vaunted features of C1 and JPEG inside are capable of producing what was standard resolution in what year? 1998?

Get real, get cracking, produce a MUCH higher resolution JPEG in camera or if you cannot do it, back off the hype in your marketing. Really.

So that's it. I must admit to feeling rather mislead and to wondering which art directors are happy with judging shot quality from a 1200 x 1600 jpeg.
Well another thing I found rather misleading was how they kept talking about the infinity engine and exposure blending and all that good stuff. But when I got my back it is extremely basic in functionality.

None of the features they talked about are available.

Paul2660

Hope you guys with the backs can open a tech question to P1 on way the purple fringing slider seems not to work in C1.

Paul C

mpsa

The image quality is lovely. But there are so many issues that get in the way of making images. It feels like the back was not ready to be released. The marketing remains in cloud cuckoo land. I’ve been offered a replacement back, but all the issues I’ve experienced seem to be experienced by others. That’s a worry.

tashley

Subscriber Member
The image quality is lovely. But there are so many issues that get in the way of making images. It feels like the back was not ready to be released. The marketing remains in cloud cuckoo land. I’ve been offered a replacement back, but all the issues I’ve experienced seem to be experienced by others. That’s a worry.
My thoughts so far, too - though I’ve yet to use it enough to see the lovely image quality. I’m sure that will come. But the bugs are annoying.

On the bright side, master this and you’ll be making images which are, at least technically, superior to anything on the planet - and that high bar is doubly high, being both financial and technical.