The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Protective Filters for Schneider & Rodie Tech Lenses

JamesJetel

Hey Peoples,

Does anyone have any filter recommendations for protecting your tech lenses?

I'm most specifically interested in -
23mm Rodie - Probably the only problem child.
35mmXL Schneider
43mm Schneider
55mm Rodie
70mm Rodie

Thanks!
JJ

dchew

For the wide angles, I just keep the center filter mounted. None of my other lenses have filters mounted although I have a stable of B+W multicoated uv filters on the shelf. I found most of the risk associated with front elements comes from me screwing things on and off, often with gloves on and shivering hands. So, the less I have to fumble the better.

I did find some Chinese-made Schneider plastic lens caps, which I like better than caps supplied with the lens by Rodenstock. The Schneider’s are thicker plastic and they fit tighter. The Rodenstock caps constantly fell off in my backpack.

Everyone has their favorite filter manufacturer. I haven’t bought a uv filter in years, but the Breakthrough Filters seem really good. I have their ND filter.

Dave

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Note of caution on the 35XL center filter. While almost essential for tripod use, it greatly extends the size of the lens, and - in Cambo mount, at least - makes the lens vulnerable to stress damage. Don't ask me how I know.

--Matt

drunkenspyder

Lots of good advice here. I detest lens caps in general. I always use quality UV filters (lately, Breakthrough which are sweetly less expensive than Zeiss and B+W). In the backpack, each lens gets an OpTech lens hood as well. For the tech lenses mounted on Cambo boards, where a full body OpTech sometimes doesn’t work as well, I will put a hood on each end.

JamesJetel

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Space is at a premium in my roller, so I’m going to be feeling the spatial pinch of the added thickness of filters.

The center filters would be a nice addition for image fidelity, but I feel like I would worry about those just as much as the lens glass. The longer I have these lenses, the more it feels like they’d be impossible to acquire in a timely fashion if something happened to them.

I’ve received some good recommendations regarding Heliopan filters, but I worry about vignetting on the 23, as I can’t find a slim version.

Regarding lens caps, I have an assortment, including the click on caps, Schneider and rodie soft plastic caps. I prefer the Schneider/rodie soft caps on the off chance I nick the glass with the cap. Luckily I bought a set of calipers this year so I can accurately measure the sizes I need. Never had an issue with loose caps falling off.