The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rain Jacket for XF?

narikin

Looks like I have to take some images in rainy weather, with an XF (not my normal camera)

Is there a simple rain jacket someone could recommend for this, with a regular focal length lens?

Thanks.

Was looking for this as well, but also a tech cam rain jacket

Looks like I have to take some images in rainy weather, with an XF (not my normal camera)

Is there a simple rain jacket someone could recommend for this, with a regular focal length lens?

Thanks.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Gallon size ziplock bag. Slit one side to go over the camera, then tighten the ziplock around the lens.

I think I’m gonna look in the cine world for solutions/manufacturers. They bag up cameras many multiples in size and cost to the Phase system.

Mold and fog are issues with some of the plastic rain covers I’ve seen. A plastic bag, while cheap and practical in a pinch, adds another annoying barrier before I can go out and shoot. I have to construct and fiddle. There’s already enough to do before shooting. I want a professional solution to the problem, that I can rely on and travel with. I very much like the think tank cases - and have many - but the rain cover leaves something to be desired.

Would be happy to hear if anyone comes across anything.

dave.gt

Currently, I am looking for a rain cover for the H5... if a 1-2gal plastic bag will "work", then I do not see why an appropriate Think Tank cover cannot be made to work. They look like they are of terrific quality..

https://www.thinktankphoto.com/coll...roducts/hydrophobia-d-24-70-v3-0-rain-cover-1

I have an inquiry in this morning to see if I can order one and try it in for size and return it for a refund if it does not work at all. I will post the response when I receive it this week.

Edit: BH Photo also has a Think Tank emergency rain cover for much less... around $40.

drunkenspyder

Same needs here. I have tried the Think Tank Hydrophobia and Emergency on my Nikons and LUMIX cameras. They are effective but bulky and difficult to use in the field. Maybe I am just a klutz (Phase One is certain of this), but the TT products, well made though they are, seem to make more of a production of the problem than necessary. I have found the Ruggard Clear covers much more field-friendly for me, in part because they are flimsier. Not custom fit by any means, but less “in the way.” And they are cheap enough to carry a couple. YMMV. Aren’t tried them on my XF yet, but I plan to carry a couple with me on my next trip.

Last edited:

algrove

I own a 700 Series Large Black Ruggard and when the rain goes into overdrive its useful. What I like about the Op/Tech rain covers is they are clear and for tech cam use MUCH easier to use than the Ruggard which is black (perhaps they make clear now) and you must separate the velcro at the bottom to facilitate clamping the Camera body to tripod which in certain rain exposes gear to the elements even if at the bottom when winds are present which in my experience is most often associated with rain storms.

I get the large, short OP/Tech rain covers which work best for tech cams because of their small foorprint whereas the larger and longer OP/Tech rain covers sem better suited to XF use.

I’m looking into a couple custom fabricators, not sure about pricing yet, as I’d have to design the casing. Porta Brace, CP Cases, and a couple individual fabricators have popped up in a quick google search. I agree about the TT stuff, too much of a production to using it. I have a pretty good idea of how I want my tech cam cover and XF cover to work.

The Ruggard look like a pretty good Lo fi solution

drunkenspyder

I get the large, short OP/Tech rain covers which work best for tech cams because of their small foorprint whereas the larger and longer OP/Tech rain covers sem better suited to XF use.
Could you provide a link to what you mean by “large/short”? That terminology doesn’t quite match the product descriptions I found at B+H. Thanks much!

algrove

Could you provide a link to what you mean by “large/short”? That terminology doesn’t quite match the product descriptions I found at B+H. Thanks much!
Just looked and its the 18" one that fits over my Alpa+lens+back with room to spare. I believe it was the second on their list. When I measured mine the 18" is the diagonal measurement from front down to the end of the back or bottom of it.

Mexecutioner

I just got a ThinkTank emergency rain cover in medium size and tried it with the XF with the 35BR attached. It is far form perfect for this configuration, but in a pinch I'd rather have it in my bag.

I also have a Hydrophobia I used with a 1DX and 7-200 combo. I will dig it out of the garage and see if it is a better fit and report back. I suspect the opening for the DSLR viewfinder may get in the way, that's why I hadn't even tried it before.