The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ4 Firmware Update (1.01)

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
New firmware (1.01) has been posted. DT will investigate and test immediately. I expect it will be only the low-hanging fruit (i.e. bugs) but will report soon.

Do do not miss the important note in the PDF:
Please do not interrupt the updating process. Updating can take more than 10 minutes, during this time the back will seem inactive, but interferring with this process can be fatal, and unrecoverable. If updating fails, the digital back have to go back to service. After update, the system will reboot and display a dialog on the XF Screen and/or the IQ4 Screen stating that “Firmware Verified!”

That is not unusual for firmware, but it never hurts reminding people not to stop a firmware update in the middle.

Craig Stocks

Based on reading the description on the P1 site it sounds underwhelming.

I'm beginning to worry that Phase One is loosing their way much as Hasselblad did a few years ago. It feels like they're so focused on a few new features that make them like everyone else (focus peaking, defaults to camera controls on the back, etc.) that they've lost sight of the things that made them different and valuable (ad hoc network connection to Capture Pilot, powerful shutter controls, focus mask on image review, exposure heat map, etc.).

I hope I'm wrong and that Phase One releases an update very quickly that restores all of the IQ3 functionality that's currently missing.

Also, I noticed the warning that once an XF is updated for IQ4 it no longer supports an IQ3 back.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Based on reading the description on the P1 site it sounds underwhelming.
This is not the Feature Update you (and we) have been waiting for. This is just an interim firmware update that addresses some bugs and makes the system more robust.

Remember that the IQ4 is brand new everything; new sensor, new internal electronics (10x faster processor, more internal ram), new tethering interfaces (USB-C, Ethernet, Wireless), new operating system (unix) and new user interface (swipes, pinches, etc). That meant every IQ3 feature had to be made from scratch, and a few such features (including some rather significant ones) weren't done when the rest of the IQ4 system was. P1 knows they are important and useful (that's why they made them in the first place).

Such Feature improvements are coming. Stay tuned.

Pemihan

Also, I noticed the warning that once an XF is updated for IQ4 it no longer supports an IQ3 back.
I saw that too. It sounds completely absurd. So in case a IQ4 owner has a older IQ back as backup they are prevented from using that?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
That's mostly a technicality. Because of the desire to get this firmware out to IQ4 owners ASAP there was not time to do the usual exhaustive testing with older backs. This firmware likely works fine with IQ1/2/3 backs but since it didn't go through extensive testing with previous backs it's not officially supported.

Future XF firmware will officially support, and will be deeply tested with all supported backs.

drunkenspyder

Thanks for the heads up Doug. New firmware installed smoothly on the IQ4 and 2 bodies and prism finders. No issues so far, though the back continues to run warmer than my Trichromatic did.

rsinclair

New firmware (1.01) has been posted. DT will investigate and test immediately. I expect it will be only the low-hanging fruit (i.e. bugs) but will report soon.

Do do not miss the important note in the PDF:
Please do not interrupt the updating process. Updating can take more than 10 minutes, during this time the back will seem inactive, but interferring with this process can be fatal, and unrecoverable. If updating fails, the digital back have to go back to service. After update, the system will reboot and display a dialog on the XF Screen and/or the IQ4 Screen stating that “Firmware Verified!”

That is not unusual for firmware, but it never hurts reminding people not to stop a firmware update in the middle.
Hi Doug,

Thank you for the heads up on this.

Questions:

1) With the inclusion of the "Two-Shot mode – support with two shot cable on multiport" in this update, does that enable one to trigger Copal shutters on tech-cams assuming one has a cable setup connecting the 12-pin multiport on the IQ4 to the lens?

More specifically given the cables I already have...

2) Would or could the cable setup from the lens to the IQ4 be; Wakeup Cable > Multi-connector to Mini Jack Adapter Cable > XF Cable Release BoB? I have the Wakeup Cable and 8-pin Multi-connector to Mini Jack Adapter Cable from my IQ180, and want to know if the BoB would allow for the 8-pin Mini Jack Adapter to connect to the IQ4 w/ its 12-pin to fire the shutter; i.e. does the BoB have an 8-pin female port, and if so, would the BoB create the necessary physical setup to the IQ4 port and along with the firmware update, create the functionality to trigger the Copal shutter?

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

narikin

Yeah, I'm sitting here with a boatful of Phase 8 pin leads, and no way to connect anything to my IQ4.

They really screwed up not releasing a 12>8 adapter, at least for the simple task of firing the shutter.

[/IMG]