The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

EVA cases for Phase Gear

I like these EVA Soft/hardshell cases that the IQ4150 and Accessories come in. I'd like to have one to stick my built XF or Tech Cam in. I'm having a hard time finding such cases at suitable depth. 10"Lx10"Wx8"H would be great.

Some years ago there was a guy called Bruce Laughton at Photobackpacker, who made some deep lens cases/LF gear cases that would be totally what I'm looking for. I believe he shut down his operation, unfortunately.

Any thoughts? I'm open to soft side cases that I can put custom foam in. Mostly it'd be something I can stick in a bag or backpack and be on my merry way. No hard cases/pelicans.

algrove

IF I upgrade I will probably stick with my f-stop ICU's and matching backpack and/or Pelican case. At this point I have so many ICU and backpacks I do not need to go another direction and add another bag system which might just be about the same thing anyway.

drunkenspyder

I like these EVA Soft/hardshell cases that the IQ4150 and Accessories come in. I'd like to have one to stick my built XF or Tech Cam in. I'm having a hard time finding such cases at suitable depth. 10"Lx10"Wx8"H would be great.

Some years ago there was a guy called Bruce Laughton at Photobackpacker, who made some deep lens cases/LF gear cases that would be totally what I'm looking for. I believe he shut down his operation, unfortunately.

Any thoughts? I'm open to soft side cases that I can put custom foam in. Mostly it'd be something I can stick in a bag or backpack and be on my merry way. No hard cases/pelicans.
I like these cases, too, though I would probably want to be able to fit them into my Pelicans. They seem slightly more robust than my ICUs for F-Stop snd Shimoda. Something that can accommodate a built XF and/or tech cam would be slick.

In the meantime, I saw this related post and you might find this link helpful also.

I was unaware of the Fstop ICUs, they're close, but not quite what I'm looking for. I may end up with one in the end. Like DS said, these NYA-EVO cases would be pretty slick --- with some nice closed cell foam in there.

I can't seem to find any stock EVA cases with a depth greater than around 6". Most are built for drones, projectors, or medical devices.

Thanks for pointing me to that other thread

Christopher

It depends a lot on what your kit is. I mostly gave up on foam as its just isn't flexible. However, with all my Phase One, Arca and Fuji lenses and gear I want to choose every time what I'm taking. So actually I need flexible dividers as a LS45 won't fit any Arca lens...

I think there are a few options on ICUs. It would be great to expend that list.

F-stop

Peak Design

nya evo

any other?

I generally have different modules/packs based on the type of shooting I’m doing.
My kit is pretty static at this point, so it’s iterations based on the following criteria.

City/Travel/Hiking
Indoors solo, indoors with assistants, outdoors solo, outdoors with assistants. Low profile, or in public with permit.

The gear configuration bucket I’m currently trying to fill is the low profile walking around the city solo. Ideally, having a built XF or Tech Cam with a single lens ready at home at all times for when the free time opens up. Having one of these little EVA cases with a built cam ready on the shelf would be great in removing any barriers to shooting. Being able to throw it in a backpack would be doubly nice.

drunkenspyder

The gear configuration bucket I’m currently trying to fill is the low profile walking around the city solo. Ideally, having a built XF or Tech Cam with a single lens ready at home at all times for when the free time opens up. Having one of these little EVA cases with a built cam ready on the shelf would be great in removing any barriers to shooting. Being able to throw it in a backpack would be doubly nice.
I am working on the very same thing for my XF. Deciding on the lens is part of the challenge as well. The Hassy X1D was pretty easy to set up. The XF more challenging.

I wish Phase would put out a lens anywhere between a 17 and 23. I’d carry around that, an 80 and a 2x Tele. Crop everything in between.

That’d take care of most situations, though I love some long lens landscape.

I am working on the very same thing for my XF. Deciding on the lens is part of the challenge as well. The Hassy X1D was pretty easy to set up. The XF more challenging.

alistairsimmons

NYA-EVO/Phase One have also produced an 'Optional Carry-On Bag' (RCI-C). The part number is 60900119.

Spacious enough to house a built XF/Technical Camera.

Can be ordered through any partner.

Al

drunkenspyder

I wish Phase would put out a lens anywhere between a 17 and 23. I’d carry around that, an 80 and a 2x Tele. Crop everything in between.

That’d take care of most situations, though I love some long lens landscape.
Perhaps off-thread, but interesting. Haven't read all your posts, Eric, but do you shoot with the 35? Granted, it's only a roughly 21mm FF equivalent, but still pretty wide. And much better IQ than the 28. When I shoot tech, I was certain the Rodie 23 and 32 would be my go-to lenses, but it turns out that the 40 became my travel workhorse for both pragmatic and optical reasons. Given the 35's size, I am not sure I am hankering to carry around anything much wider by Phase. ;-)

drunkenspyder

NYA-EVO/Phase One have also produced an 'Optional Carry-On Bag' (RCI-C). The part number is 60900119.

Spacious enough to house a built XF/Technical Camera.

Can be ordered through any partner.

Al
Thanks Al. I haven't seen this item. Have you used one? Given carry-on regulatory requirements, I expect this will be similar in size to the Shimoda roll aboard—which is semi-soft-sided, and I use all the time, much less conspicuous than my hard-sided cases—or the hard-sided Pelicans and Phase cases. There is plenty of room in any of those cases for holding a built XF, if one wants to set them up that way, but my experience has led me to pack them broken down.

bab

You might want to check out atlas they would be comparable to f-stop if not better, the packs have tremendous depth. I can fit with more room lots more room H6D, 28, 50, 100, 210, 1.7x, HTS 1.5, RRS pano, meter, filters 150x180mm, batteries. Heavy but still room for two more lenses, jacket, food, iPad you get the point. I however shoot with a belt it is the only way for me, I have two lenses and my NiSi filter box, cloth and meter on the belt. This empties the weight from the backpack and gives me the luxury of changing lenses without bending down.

Christopher

I still think f-stop has the biggest depth with an icu of 16,5cm. I love that there are more and more options coming out. I still think none of them are perfect. I love Peak designs icus, prefer the Atlas Harnes but love the icu options and size options with f-stop. I will try out NYA-EVO soon. Ther icus aren’t to bad.

baudolino

Maybe take a look at HPRC cases HPRC - High Performance Resin Cases

I use one of the smaller models (HPRC2460) for my GFX50S kit and I selected the hard shell plus soft case with dividers option (they call it "bag and dividers" and it similar to the F-Stop ICU). They may have a bigger version to fit the XF. Not all of their designs come with the "bag and dividers" option, though - you need to check.

Since you say you don't need the hard shell - you can purchase one of their "bag and dividers" inserts separately: Accessories - HPRC

This backpack style case could also be of interest, perhaps: HPRC3500, RESIN CASE - HPRC

Last edited:

dave.gt

Thanks Al. I haven't seen this item. Have you used one? Given carry-on regulatory requirements, I expect this will be similar in size to the Shimoda roll aboard—which is semi-soft-sided, and I use all the time, much less conspicuous than my hard-sided cases—or the hard-sided Pelicans and Phase cases. There is plenty of room in any of those cases for holding a built XF, if one wants to set them up that way, but my experience has led me to pack them broken down.
The NYA Adventure Backpack seems quite small and yet suited for a Phase One or Hasselblad light carry:

https://www.direporter.com/products/phase-one-nya-evo-team-iq4-camera-bags

algrove

In an f-stop small ICU I can get my entire Alpa setup- STC with HR 40 mounted and IQ back, S-K 150, HR 70 , 2 large Alpa flexible lens hoods, 150 small lens hood, Loupe, small meter. ES cable release, 4 Phase batteries, 10 CF cards on Loewpro small case and put one divider right down the middle. When I had an XF I could put another small ICS in my f-stop Loka backpack with Mamiya APO 300/4.5, Mamiya Fisheye and a 105-210 Mamiya. This was after I sold my first XF and ALL Phase lenses.

XF and all Phase lenses were around 40 lbs in 2 ICU. ICU with Alpa and all lenses around 10-12 lbs depending on how many spare batteries I pack since 2 Phase batteries in a TT battery pack weighs 1 pound.

Today my ThinkTank Airport Essentials backpack holds all Alpa Gear mentioned above plus Fuji 50R + 23mm lens, 2 Fuji batteries with room for 6xSD card holder.It can also hold my laptop and iPad when wanted. Highly versatile and Regional Jet friendly. I also use an Oberwerth bag for usually about 2 other GFX lenses and other photo goodies.

No I am not associated with either f-stop nor TT, but sure wish I was.

Hey drunken--I use my HR 40 about 90% of the time and so glad I did not get the 32 or 23 mainly due to their carrying size.

alistairsimmons

Not used one. All I have for reference is this image:

IMG_3514.JPG

That's a nice little shoulder bag. I wish none of the stuff had branding on it, to be honest.

Not used one. All I have for reference is this image:

View attachment 138578
I looked at the HPRC Cases - while nice - I'm trying to stay away from Peli type cases. Looking for inconspicuous, sized just right, soft enough that I can throw in a bag and not have it get messed up, or have it poking in my back the whole time.

drunkenspyder

We’ve had some discussion about the Atlas packs in other threads. I have been a Shimoda/F-Stop/Pelican/Phase case guy. But just for sh*ts and giggles, I decided to see how my new (anything but unobtrusive yellow) Atlas Athlete pack would work as a Phase carrier. The Athlete is pitched as suitable for smaller systems, but somewhat to my surprise, it accommodates a built XF 3-lens system. Now, in candor, “built” means with the WLF, not the prism, though the prism is packed with it. But I am up at Mono Lake with the Athlete holding the XF, 35, 80, and 150/3.5, plus an anamorphic lens, ECC filter system, etc. Couldn’t use it to carry much else, but I don’t have much else. This is not exactly a daypack with an X1D system inside, but it’s very comfortable. I’m impressed. I have a photo but can’t seem to get it uploaded from my phone.