The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

GFX InfraRED

J S H

Thanks Josh. This was my thinking as well. It's the IR that causes problems, so the 32-64 should be fine with the Hot Mirror, but definitely will need to test it with all the filters. I'd place bets that if the AR option for the GFX was available from Kolari, the difficulties with the hot spots might be a non-issue. The AR option is available for other cameras, and it is a worthwhile addition.

I have the Canon 24mm TSE II and adapter that I can use on the wide end. The GF 45mm will probably be a good standard wide addition. And the SMC Pentax-A 645 150mm F3.5 you suggest looks to be a good option for the longer focals. If the GFX were more of my main camera body, I'd opt for the GF110 (assuming good for IR) or the GF120.

Lots to test and try...
Yes, it takes a while to work through all those tests and form a clear picture of what works well and where the limitations are. I can tell you that the 24 TSE works pretty well at 850, so that will be a good wide option. The periphery of the image circle gets a little soft and there is a diffuse hot spot starting around f5.6, but it is easily correctable in post. The 17 TSE doesn't have any hot spot issues, but it is a little softer at the edges than the 24. However, the 17 is a great option when you need to go really wide. Also, for future reference, the 50 TSE is an excellent performer in IR across the entire image circle and has no hot spot issues.

tcdeveau

I'm under the impression that hot spots are also a function, to a degree, of some more recent modern lens coatings.

The Pentax FA 45mm-85mm could be worth a try if other Pentax FA and 67 lenses are suitable.

As others have suggested though, sounds like you'll just have to get an IQ3/4 Achromatic too hehe

J S H

Thanks Josh. This was my thinking as well. It's the IR that causes problems, so the 32-64 should be fine with the Hot Mirror, but definitely will need to test it with all the filters. I'd place bets that if the AR option for the GFX was available from Kolari, the difficulties with the hot spots might be a non-issue. The AR option is available for other cameras, and it is a worthwhile addition.

I have the Canon 24mm TSE II and adapter that I can use on the wide end. The GF 45mm will probably be a good standard wide addition. And the SMC Pentax-A 645 150mm F3.5 you suggest looks to be a good option for the longer focals. If the GFX were more of my main camera body, I'd opt for the GF110 (assuming good for IR) or the GF120.

Lots to test and try...
Hi Ken, Have you received your converted camera yet? Just FYI, I tested a second copy of the 32-64 and it seemed to perform better in IR than the first copy I tested. The first one was a used lens from B&H and it's possible that it could have been a subpar copy, as the tests of the 2nd copy didn't show any glaring hotspot or sharpness issues from f4 to f8 across the zoom range. A little bit of diffuse hot spotting at f8, but nothing you would notice without a side by side comparison. So definitely test your 32-64 when you get the camera...I suspect it will work just fine in IR.

Uaiomex

So Ken, what happened, did you get your GFX Ir'ed?
Me and many are waiting to hear for your experience. I hope everything is cool for you on this new wonderful photographic adventure.
Best
Eduardo

My Fuji GFX is at Kolari Vision right now getting converted to full spectrum, allowing me to shoot in IR simply by attaching the desired filter. I still need the ability to shoot in color, so the hot mirror filter with full spectrum conversion fills the bill. I'm opting for 590, 720, and 850nm. Unfortunately the AR coating is not an option on the GFX, but hopefully it is not an issue. I plan on using the 32-64 as my primary lens. Filters will be on the Xume magnetic filter system. Fingers-crossed---I'll get the camera back in a week or two.

A Phase One Achromatic just couldn't be justified :loco::grin:

Ken

kdphotography

Oops---forgot about this thread! :rolleyes:

I did get my GFX 50S converted to full spectrum by Kolari Vision. It's unfortunate that the Anti-Reflective AR coating is not an option for the GFX at this time as I do believe that any minor hot spots would become a non-issue. That being said, this is what I have done so far (which isn't much!).

The lenses I kept in my kit are the Fuji 45mm, 32-64, and Canon 24mm t/s (also have the 17mm t/s) with Kipon adapter. The 32-64 and the 45mm lenses have been adapted to use the Xume rare-earth magnetic filter holder system. When using a full spectrum camera, this really is an ingenious system to quickly change filters. Filters are kept in separate lens pouches that attach to my belt. The 45mm has a small 62mm filter ring so packing filters for this lens is very compact in a small pouch. The 32-64 has a 77mm rings so are more substantial. The 45mm has uses the new Kolari Pro Slim IR filters with AR coating, 665nm, 720nm, and 850nm. There is no issue with using the 45mm lens for IR photography.

The Fuji 32-64 I use mostly with the hot mirror filter when I need a smaller camera, faster to grab than either the Cambo or Phase XF. I found the 32-64 to actually be more usable with IR filters than previously thought, particularly at the lower IR range. The filters I tested on the 32-64 are 680nm, 720nm, 760nm, 850nm, and 950nm. I shot at 32mm, 44mm, 50mm, and 64mm mostly at f/9 and at f/11. A slight hot spot could be seen using the 850 and 950nm filters. It was slight enough that I am confident the AR coating (if offered) would resolve the issue. It is slight to the point you probably could correct for it retouching in Photoshop. I did not have the new Kolari Pro Slim AR IR filters for this lens which may by itself resolve the hot spot issue. I simply did not want to spend all the money to test a lens that is known to have some hot spot issues. I do need to test the lens more at different apertures and under different lighting conditions. But the 32-64 is much more usable than I thought it would be---I just need to spend time to find out the parameters/limitations. I've been using the 45mm lens almost exclusively as I like how small the camera and lens filter pouch go together. This combination simply works. And, in all honesty, is the reason that I have not spent more time testing the limits of the 32-64 with IR.

I'm still busy selling my home in Carmel, so have not been able to spend as much time as I would like with photographic endeavors. I'm getting there! But I am happy with the Fuji GFX as a full spectrum camera alongside the Phase XF and Cambo. In particular, the Fuji packs small enough that I can keep it with the 45mm in a small ICU (with accessories) and another ICU with the Cambo WRS1600 and Phase IQ3 MFDB, fitting both in a very manageable f/stop backpack.

Ken

Image from Last Pigs in Tahoe 2019----lotta snow up there. I can't believe that Don Libby started an avalanche :shocked:;)View attachment 141830

Last edited:

Uaiomex

Thanks a lot Ken. Your snowy scene is looking really good.
How do you find using the hot mirror filter for visible light? Is it just as using an unconverted camera? Do you lose any of the light ? Kolari claims half a stop. Is the IQ the same? Any visible image degradation because of the filter on the front element?
TiA
Eduardo

kdphotography

With the hot mirror filter in place, shooting a full spectrum GFX is very nearly like using a normal GFX. Any differences are really negligible. When outdoors, you can add a UV clear haze filter for slightly better image quality. Not much difference. The hot mirror filter on the GFX is really what allowed me to confidently get rid of all my 35mm gear (Canon and Sony).

ken