The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NWS 23mm & 110mm APO lenses in Hasselblad V-mount

B L

Good news. Those two lenses will mount on most cameras via adapters except a Hasselblad(V). wonder how much more is required to make those work on V(f) series?

tcdeveau

Good news. Those two lenses will mount on most cameras via adapters except a Hasselblad(V). wonder how much more is required to make those work on V(f) series?
I'm assuming they would need a shutter and a means to trigger the shutter by the V body if they were going to work on V series bodies?

Pretty neat lenses and system. Lets hope they materialize.

sog1927

I'm assuming they would need a shutter and a means to trigger the shutter by the V body if they were going to work on V series bodies?

Pretty neat lenses and system. Lets hope they materialize.
Well, if you were going to use them on a 200 or 2000 series camera you could just use the focal plane shutter. However, it looks like the rear element of both lenses might protrude into the mirror box (at least judging from the renderings on the individual product pages). That would be bad ;)

Ed Hurst

So the lenses have a V-mount, but aren't compatible with V-mount cameras...? Forgive me, but have I understood that correctly?

Knorp

It baffles me, too ... :loco:

To facilitate compatibility across many camera systems, the lenses are fitted with Hasselblad V-compatible lens mounts with a back focal distance of 74,9mm, allowing them to use widely available adapters to attach to almost any camera.
Please note that these lenses were not designed to be used on Hasselblad V-cameras due to significant incompatibilities.

M

mjr

I take it as, forget the V mount cameras, it's just not what they are for. If you could use any mount you like for a new system, then the V mount is great, it's huge, large focal distance allows loads of movements without impeding on the camera body with the added benefit of there being enough space for an adapter for direct mount to pretty much any mirrored or mirrorless camera. Looking at their own tech camera style setup, the lens mount is largely irrelevant, assuming the size of the mount doesn't have a negative impact to movements, so why not the V mount? They aren't building ultra high tech lenses for an old system, they are just using the dimensions and mount for a new system. Unless I'm missing something?

vjbelle

That's the way I read it. Can't imagine a lens like this on an old V system. I can sure see it on my Actus!!

Victor

Knorp

I take it as, forget the V mount cameras, it's just not what they are for. If you could use any mount you like for a new system, then the V mount is great, it's huge, large focal distance allows loads of movements without impeding on the camera body with the added benefit of there being enough space for an adapter for direct mount to pretty much any mirrored or mirrorless camera. Looking at their own tech camera style setup, the lens mount is largely irrelevant, assuming the size of the mount doesn't have a negative impact to movements, so why not the V mount? They aren't building ultra high tech lenses for an old system, they are just using the dimensions and mount for a new system. Unless I'm missing something?
You're missing nothing and you hit the nail, Mat !

M

mjr

Actually I think it's a genius idea, presuming the image circle maintains high performance to the edge, then with lots of movements for anything like a GFX or even a larger digital back, it could prove to be an excellent tool. If the 23 is as good as the fuji 23, but with the benefit of rise/fall and being able to shift within the image circle then I'm in! I wish them all the best, I think stuff like this is only a benefit to photographers who have a need it fulfils.

Mat

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Any idea what the flange distance is? Just because they’ve used the size/shape of the Hassy V lens mount doesn’t mean the lens is designed to sit at the same distance as the lenses on a Hassy 500. The lens is clearly intended primarily for bodies like the Actus (or their own) the lens on such systems can be placed anywhere you please.

In fact I would be pretty surprised if the 23mm had such a long flange distance as to work at infinity when on a 500 series body.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Go figure. So then it would mount to, and focus at infinity on, a Hassy 200 series or 500 series, or could be mounted to a Phase One DF+ or Phase One XF via adapter.

For those using a digital back with a sensor-based electronic shutter such as the IQ3 100mp or IQ4 100mp or IQ4 150mp that would seem to be a broadly workable solution on a 500 series. For those using other digital backs they would be limited to the 200 series (for the limited range of backs that work on that) or a Phase One DF+ or Phase One XF since those three have focal plane shutters.

Gerd

It also fits over e.g. the Kipon Tilt / Shift (T & S HB-GFX LINK) adapter directly to the GFX, it fits on my Actus and via Adapter V - Mamiya to the XF. What we probably will not get, correction profiles for C1 and LR / ACR etc... .

The lens design is by Dr. med. Christoph Horneber (Leica Noctilux-M 1: 0.95 / 50mm ASPH - Tri-Elmar-M 1: 4 / 16-18-21mm ASPH). What makes hope for a good lens.

For me, the lens is a small sensation.

If it is available and the price fits, I will buy it for sure.

Greeting Gerd

Gerd

This is possible in any case.
Rear Focal Distance HB V: 74.9 mm
Rear Focal Distance: P-645 70.87 mm

Link Service - Adapter CLICK:

For a TS Adapter the Rear Focal Distance is too narrow.

Greeting Gerd

marc aurel

I posted this over at Luminous Landscape Forum. Found it interesting to compare it with the Canon TS-E 24 L II:

The MTF diagram of the NWS 23 APO claims a very high performance.
I tried to find a way to compare it with the TS-E 24mm L II. I found the OLAF measurement by lensrentals on the digital picture (https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/MTF.aspx?Lens=486&CT=AVG) and oyerlayed it with the NWS MTF (see attachment): the 40LP/mm lines for the TS-E 24 are the shorter lines that stop at 20mm image heigt.

The top line of the NWS 23 Apo shows the same frequency (40 LP/mm). If that would be true it would mean this lens is much sharper than the TS-E 24mm L II. But with about 5% distortion while the TS-E 24mm L II has close to zero. A distortion of 5% is quite an unfortunate decision for a lens that is marketed together with a kind of view camera. Otherwise it would have been an amazing choice for architecture.
So architecture photographers will have to wait for the rumored native Fuji lens to get a better quality than the Canon it seems.

Attachments