The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ4 12 pin copal shutter cable

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
This is one of the protype cables that we received a couple weeks ago. We chose not to post any photos of the ones we received because we thought it might mislead people into thinking the production cable is available now, or is coming in the next few days or similar.

We are still waiting for a formal ETA on the production version, but I think it’s fair to say weeks not days or months.

In the meanwhile, we (DT) have found a variety of creative ways to accommodate the needs of our clients waiting for the production cable, and continue to put maximum possible pressure on P1 to deliver the final production cables.

earburner

I think I would’ve preferred some sort of right angle type connector for strain relief and compactness.

Also, is there any chance of a release integrated with the wakeup? Or like I posted in the other thread, a release with camera control (for ES)
You shouldn't need a wake up on the iq4 as on the iq3 you just set zero latency on the back. just have to wait for P1 to add this option to the firmware and a cable... :)

I was thinking a couple little wheels would be nice for shutter/aperture/iso. So if I'm hand holding a tech cam, I could have a release and camera controls without doing it on the back.

And so the Hahnel trigger plugs into the XF? Via which port? The 12 pin? Also, is there a wireless trigger?

"A release with camera control (for ES)" -- what do you mean?

This and this both can plug directly into the IQ4 and trigger the ES.

tashley

Subscriber Member
I was thinking a couple little wheels would be nice for shutter/aperture/iso. So if I'm hand holding a tech cam, I could have a release and camera controls without doing it on the back.

And so the Hahnel trigger plugs into the XF? Via which port? The 12 pin? Also, is there a wireless trigger?

How is any ‘little wheel’ going to change the aperture when shooting on a tech cam?

alistairsimmons

I think I would’ve preferred some sort of right angle type connector for strain relief and compactness.

Also, is there any chance of a release integrated with the wakeup? Or like I posted in the other thread, a release with camera control (for ES)
As Doug pointed out, this is a prototype cable, but we are hoping for delivery soon. Whether it is a right angle or straight, we're not sure yet.

At this point the wake-up signal is now done through the shutter release button on the IQ4 (with no 4 second limit), so there isn't necessarily a need for a wake-up cable. Will Phase release one alongside? Not sure.

A

As Doug pointed out, this is a prototype cable, but we are hoping for delivery soon. Whether it is a right angle or straight, we're not sure yet.

At this point the wake-up signal is now done through the shutter release button on the IQ4 (with no 4 second limit), so there isn't necessarily a need for a wake-up cable. Will Phase release one alongside? Not sure.

A
Interesting, so if I’m understanding -
Rather than have the button wake the sensor up for 4 seconds - We now press the shutter button on the screen to wake the back indefinitely until the shutter is triggered? That works for me, though sounds a bit slower and inherently fiddlier(depending on shooting conditions) than the physical button on the wakeup cable. Small price to pay for not needing a flimsy, wildly overpriced cable, that has a short life under regular usage.

alistairsimmons

Interesting, so if I’m understanding -
Rather than have the button wake the sensor up for 4 seconds - We now press the shutter button on the screen to wake the back indefinitely until the shutter is triggered? That works for me, though sounds a bit slower and inherently fiddlier(depending on shooting conditions) than the physical button on the wakeup cable. Small price to pay for not needing a flimsy, wildly overpriced cable, that has a short life under regular usage.
You now have as long as you need to square yourself for capture, yes. It seems a smoother way of shooting to do everything through the back, but we'll see if a new wake-up cable is made available as well.

A

narikin

A
It really needs to be right angle, like all Alpa cables have been. Crazy to have it sticking 8/10 cm (3-4") out from back like that.
I left my old 8pin Alpa right angle cable attached to IQ3/ FPS all the time, (i.e. for 3 years!) can't do that with this.

I heard Phase are not releasing the right angle 12 pin connectors as yet, nor the tech specs for cabling, which quite frankly is shitty of them. Very disappointing attitude. I say hack a prototype using Hahnel plug, then go to Alvin's Cables in Shenzen and get a bunch made, with a right angle. I'll be first in line for a working one.

It really needs to be right angle, like all Alpa cables have been. Crazy to have it sticking 8/10 cm (3-4") out from back like that.
I left my old 8pin Alpa right angle cable attached to IQ3/ FPS all the time, (i.e. for 3 years!) can't do that with this.

I heard Phase are not releasing the right angle 12 pin connectors as yet, nor the tech specs for cabling, which quite frankly is shitty of them. Very disappointing attitude. I say hack a prototype using Hahnel plug, then go to Alvin's Cables in Shenzen and get a bunch made, with a right angle. I'll be first in line for a working one.
****in’ amen

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
If it helps, I actually made a cable a while ago for my XF to interface to a Pluto remote release and if all you want to do is fire off the camera then I would assume that the following might help as it covers the wiring of the Hanhnel release (whose cable for XF I modified). I bought the Phase One / Hahnel release which comes with the XF plug and just spliced the cable.

connector pins:
Pin 1 - S1 – half press (focus)
Pin 2 - S2 – full press (shutter)
Pin 3 – GND

narikin

If it helps, I actually made a cable a while ago for my XF to interface to a Pluto remote release and if all you want to do is fire off the camera then I would assume that the following might help as it covers the wiring of the Hanhnel release (whose cable for XF I modified). I bought the Phase One / Hahnel release which comes with the XF plug and just spliced the cable.

connector pins:
Pin 1 - S1 – half press (focus)
Pin 2 - S2 – full press (shutter)
Pin 3 – GND

Thanks!

There's White, Yellow and Red in the Hahnel, so do you recall which color is which at all?

I'm told the IQ4 with current firmware needs a very long latency sync signal, much more than IQ3 did. Alpa are working on temporary firmware to cover this for Silex/FPS users.

GrahamWelland

Thanks!

There's White, Yellow and Red in the Hahnel, so do you recall which color is which at all?.
Sorry, my cables are shrink wrapped and I got and did this back in 2016. It was pretty simple to check with a voltmeter though.

Btw if I recall, those wires were pretty fine so be careful with soldering.

RLB

So I'm wondering if one has a Kapture Group one shot could one conceivably replace the 8 pin female din with a 12 pin female din and simply move and resoldier the wires to the correct pin outs?

Any idea where one could purchase the correct 12 pin female pug?

Robert

GrahamWelland

Yes - those cables just connect live shutter and ground.

The only way I found to get the connector (without inside knowledge) was to buy the Hanhnel XF release. I don’t know if you can just buy the XF 12 pin cable on its own or the connector. Things may be different now vs 2016 when I did it.