The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HVM Waist Level Finder

dave.gt

Has anyone used the HVM on their H cameras? I miss my 503 and the unique experience.:rolleyes:

Shooting 220 Ektachrome with the film back has me wishing I could have kept the 503, but adding the HVM may soothe my longing.:loco:

citizin

I have one.

It's alright, would like to have the ability to fold it down. I really only use it when I want to get a shot from under knee high.

dave.gt

I have one.

It's alright, would like to have the ability to fold it down. I really only use it when I want to get a shot from under knee high.
Yeah, the low shots are tough with the current 90. My favorite Hasselblad photographer, Platon, uses the waist level finder of the V cameras and I absolutely love that perspective for portraits.

Trying a moon shot last night with the high angle required to shoot the H5D almost vertical was not fun.. a lower tripod with the waist level finder would be so much more fun.:D

It appears not too many people use the WLF, though. I noticed KEH has a decent used one.:)

paulgrundy

Has anyone used the HVM on their H cameras? I miss my 503 and the unique experience.:rolleyes:

Shooting 220 Ektachrome with the film back has me wishing I could have kept the 503, but adding the HVM may soothe my longing.:loco:
A simple, low tech and relatively cheap Hasselblad accessory. Ideal for low angle shots. Downside is no info in the viewfinder and while it works with autofocus with manual focus there are no focus assist lights. There is also the obvious issue with shooting portrait.

Paul

dave.gt

A simple, low tech and relatively cheap Hasselblad accessory. Ideal for low angle shots. Downside is no info in the viewfinder and while it works with autofocus with manual focus there are no focus assist lights. There is also the obvious issue with shooting portrait.

Paul
Hi, Paul,

Thanks for the post. Issue with portraits? Are you referring to the lack of focus assist/confirmation and exposure information?

One of the reasons I am looking at the WLF is to get back to shooting hand held as the V series was always used. I never could get used to shooting the 503cxi, handheld any other way than looking through the WLF. Holding the camera up to eyelevel with a 90° VF just did not feel right. There are so many reasons and ways to shoot without a tripod for me because of my varied interests.

I now would like to use a WLF on the H5 with the film back to get that V camera experience, and shooting POV, back... and yes, using a separate meter or sunny 16 is a PITA. :thumbup:But so are many things in life where that extra effort can add to the quality of a life experience. Like film! LOL...:)

Btw... The Netflix movie, Abstract, if you have not seen it, is a great photography themed film. I have watched it several times. And Platon's gallery is legendary for his style of portraiture.

paulgrundy

Hi, Paul,

Thanks for the post. Issue with portraits? Are you referring to the lack of focus assist/confirmation and exposure information?

One of the reasons I am looking at the WLF is to get back to shooting hand held as the V series was always used. I never could get used to shooting the 503cxi, handheld any other way than looking through the WLF.
Dave, no, I meant shooting in Portrait orientation!

But I guess you are looking to make square images so it will not be a problem for you.

I almost always shoot off a tripod, but back in the day I often used a Pentax 67 with a WLF hand held for candid shots. It always seemed a passive method of working compared to lifting a whopping big beast up to your eye.

Paul

robmac

Works fine, low-tech but works. You get AF as mentioned but no manual focus assist light.

Also makes a great loupe for viewing the LCD of the Hassy or any camera in bright light.

citizin

Most of the time, I can work with just taking off the viewfinder and cupping my hand around the ground glass.

dave.gt

Dave, no, I meant shooting in Portrait orientation!

But I guess you are looking to make square images so it will not be a problem for you.

I almost always shoot off a tripod, but back in the day I often used a Pentax 67 with a WLF hand held for candid shots. It always seemed a passive method of working compared to lifting a whopping big beast up to your eye.

Paul
Ah, yes, I see...

Actually you are correct about square portraits. Steve Hendrix at CI helped me with a square mask for the H5D. Works like a charm!!!:thumbs:

dave.gt

Most of the time, I can work with just taking off the viewfinder and cupping my hand around the ground glass.
Actually, I tried that today. I think the HVM is a bit more protective though.:)

There is a discussion on another forum where the V system folding WLF was mated to a top cover. I don't know if it was ever a completed project but it sounds interesting!:)

dave.gt

You also don't get metering...
Yeah, ain't it cool?:thumbup:

Neither did I get metering with the V-system.... that is the charm of old Hasselblads and when I am using film in the H camera, a waist level finder, and shooting in the style of photographers such as Platon (with a completely different POV), is a great thing for me, and I am looking forward to learning as much as possible.

Sometimes, getting back to basics is good.

Actually, I never felt as liberated as when shooting with the 503cxi, and the M3. No batteries, no chargers... No rush. Pure, simple creativity without electronics or all the bells and whistles. I think I am not yet done with the V-system. Or an M.

Until then, a WLF will suffice for those moments when only film will do and I want that style of shooting.:):):)

Last edited:

pflower

I too really like the V system with the WLF - bought a prism for it once but never used it, just didn't really suit.

I bought an H3D-39 some years back and looked at the HVM finder. Quite astonishingly expensive for what it is - a rigid plastic funnel with a diopter on top (and it doesn't even collapse like the V system one). And from memory I am not sure that the diopter is changeable (unlike the V system diopters) and it certainly is not adjustable to your eyesight.

I also found that hand holding the H3D at waist level was not as pleasurable as my old 503cx. But I still wanted to try and not spend so much money on such a basic piece of equipment which I wasn't going to use daily.

So I bought a really cheap magnifying viewfinder for DSLRs - the type that you attach to the lcd screen at the back and can then view the lcd in bright sunlight. Fits perfectly over the H system screen. Mine has two options, you can swing back the diopter and just have a plastic rectangle over the screen for composition and then swing the diopter back and focus. Works perfectly for low tripod work, but obviously it has no fitting to attach it to the H3D (that actually is pretty much the sole difference between the Hasselblad WLF and it) so not so good for handheld work. However I suppose you might be able to cobble something together with elastic bands or (my favourite accessory) hair bands to attach it more securely. But these are commonplace, cost about $20 at the most basic and work.

That way you can cheaply work out if you really want a WLF for the H system and are prepared to spend the extortionate amount of money that HB charge for it.

Yeah, ain't it cool?:thumbup:

Neither did I get metering with the V-system.... that is the charm of old Hasselblads and when I am using film in the H camera, a waist level finder, and shooting in the style of photographers such as Platon (with a completely different POV), and I am looking forward to learning as much as possible.

Sometimes, getting back to basics is good.

Actually, I never felt as liberated as when shooting with the 503cxi, and the M3. No batteries, no chargers... No rush. Pure, simple creativity without electronics or all the bells and whistles. I think I am not yet done with the V-system. Or an M.

Until then, a WLF will suffice for those moments when only film will do and I want that style of shooting.:):):)

dave.gt

I too really like the V system with the WLF - bought a prism for it once but never used it, just didn't really suit.

I bought an H3D-39 some years back and looked at the HVM finder. Quite astonishingly expensive for what it is - a rigid plastic funnel with a diopter on top (and it doesn't even collapse like the V system one). And from memory I am not sure that the diopter is changeable (unlike the V system diopters) and it certainly is not adjustable to your eyesight.

I also found that hand holding the H3D at waist level was not as pleasurable as my old 503cx. But I still wanted to try and not spend so much money on such a basic piece of equipment which I wasn't going to use daily.

So I bought a really cheap magnifying viewfinder for DSLRs - the type that you attach to the lcd screen at the back and can then view the lcd in bright sunlight. Fits perfectly over the H system screen. Mine has two options, you can swing back the diopter and just have a plastic rectangle over the screen for composition and then swing the diopter back and focus. Works perfectly for low tripod work, but obviously it has no fitting to attach it to the H3D (that actually is pretty much the sole difference between the Hasselblad WLF and it) so not so good for handheld work. However I suppose you might be able to cobble something together with elastic bands or (my favourite accessory) hair bands to attach it more securely. But these are commonplace, cost about $20 at the most basic and work.

That way you can cheaply work out if you really want a WLF for the H system and are prepared to spend the extortionate amount of money that HB charge for it.
That is certainly interesting! :)
Thanks for the idea... kind of like a Hoodman loupe...

I am wondering if anyone has the skill with a 3D printer to make an adapter for the folding V system WLF!:thumbup:

dave.gt

Ok....

A little late getting back but I have some interesting thoughts about a WLF on the H5D...:grin:

Taking some advice from a post above, this morning, I removed the VF on top of the H5D. Completely transforms the H camera into what a successor to the V system should feel like with the added bonus of a hand grip and AF. Looking down through the focusing lens is really very nice, especially when holding the H like the factory instructions indicate for shooting a V camera. Left hand under the camera, fingers wrapped around the front (even though the shutter release is not located there like on the V), and shifting your hand to hold the hand grip/battery more from around the right side and front.

Feels great to me! And the lower POV is more like what I am used to when shooting a Hasselblad. It is magical looking through the focusing screen and maneuvering the camera into position...:cool:

And all wheels and buttons are immediately accessed with your fingers.:thumbup:
Of course, you can take a light meter with you if you need it. Using a meter is a method that slows me down and increases the pleasure of shooting.

It feels weird having the focusing screen exposed (and I do not want dirt or anything getting in there). It appears that a V system WLF might be rigged to fit over the focusing lens, even if it has to be fitted to the top cover that came with the H... or... a 3D printed adapter can be made to mate the V system WLF to the H. I sure wish someone could do that!

In the meantime, I shall rent the non-folding H camera WLF from Capture Integration and try it out because I found over the last few days that the WLF greatly facilitates my using the H5D for steep to vertical shooting on the tripod and I would prefer it in studio or for portraits in general... The 90 degree VF Prism is cumbersome for astrophotography for me.

Stay tuned, and if anyone can come up with a way to make the V system WLF fit well on the H camera, please let me know.:thumbs:

MartinN

My experience is only from the mighty Fuji GX680. On that camera I would not want to use anyting other than
the WLF. The available mirror finder is awkward and makes the big camera even more huge. I simply love the
magnification of the 6x8 groundglass for precise manual focus through the WLF.

But related to HB WLF : You simply can't beat a WLF for down on the earth macro shots. I could equip my
Mamiya AF with a 90 degree periscope attachement but the magnification would never be as good as a
WLF. So for earthy lichens(moss), mushrooms (funghi) and flowers near the ground there is nothing as good as a WLF.

Of course the WLF on HB is only convenient for landscape shots, the GX680 has revolving backs so the WLF
is usable for landscape and portrait.

dave.gt

My experience is only from the mighty Fuji GX680. On that camera I would not want to use anyting other than
the WLF. The available mirror finder is awkward and makes the big camera even more huge. I simply love the
magnification of the 6x8 groundglass for precise manual focus through the WLF.

But related to HB WLF : You simply can't beat a WLF for down on the earth macro shots. I could equip my
Mamiya AF with a 90 degree periscope attachement but the magnification would never be as good as a
WLF. So for earthy lichens(moss), mushrooms (funghi) and flowers near the ground there is nothing as good as a WLF.

Of course the WLF on HB is only convenient for landscape shots, the GX680 has revolving backs so the WLF
is usable for landscape and portrait.
Oh yeah!!! Macros!:)

Since I have the square mask on the focusing screen, I have the option to shootcsqyare and it works out great, with no worries about only shooting Landscape. A revolving back is definitely cool!!!!:):):)