The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Backpacking Experiences and Tips

dave.gt

Ha!

Today, I realized something that I sometimes overlook. Exercise. While waiting for the Milky Way Season or even time to go out on location to shoot, I have found that putting the computer and iPhone away and simply walking with a loaded backpack is paying off in a big way.

I feel better! My mind feels better! The backpack feels like it weighs 50% less!:) and only because I have been walking with the loaded pack 3-5 days each week.

So, my tip of the day is just GET OUT and WALK with a loaded pack at every possible opportunity.:thumbs:

michaelclark

Christopher -

Indeed, as an Arc'teryx enthusiast (I have a few Arrakis packs) as well I find most camera backpacks to be atrocious. I have talked with every manufacturer that will listen (Lowepro, F-Stop, Shimoda, Tenba, etc.) and none have really taken my advice to make a decent carrying photo backpack. One of these days maybe it will happen.

Cheers, Michael

www.michaelclarkphoto.com

Backpacks are one thing I don’t get. Why is there still in 2019 no great hiking backpack. All the usual ones are ok, but certainly so much room for improvement, especially regarding hipbelt.

Perhaps it’s my problem as I have two arcteryx backpacks with their flexible disc system and it’s 10times more comfortable. When I go back to my photo backpacks I feel like going back to the stone ages.

Besides backpacks, I do love arcteryx jackets and stuff, they are freaking expensive, but last forever.

dave.gt

Great advice on this thread.

My first action will be to pick up some good running shoes. Not sure about the cross-country "spiked" Salomon shoes, but I will need a new pair soon for everyday wear as well as accessing photo locations.

After that, I'll consider the more traditional mid hiking boots. I can see where conditions would favor either at different times.

Thsnks for all the recommendations. I look forward to more as time goes on.:thumbup:

dj may

Great advice on this thread.

My first action will be to pick up some good running shoes. Not sure about the cross-country "spiked" Salomon shoes, but I will need a new pair soon for everyday wear as well as accessing photo locations.

After that, I'll consider the more traditional mid hiking boots. I can see where conditions would favor either at different times.

Thsnks for all the recommendations. I look forward to more as time goes on.:thumbup:
Dave,

I know people who use trail running shoes for both running and hiking. Lightweight shoes/boots for hiking are much less tiring.

I prefer lightweight boots for hiking and travel with my gear. I usually carry 15-20 kg in gear. I use Lowa Renegade boots without Goretex. I do not advise Goretex in footwear. Part of the reason I prefer boots is that they are warmer in cold weather and they are also fine for me in hot weather.

Jesse

dave.gt

Update!

Another month has gone by and I actually look forward to my backpacking trek around the neighborhood, taking advice from several here, I switched to my old Nike shoes that I once reserved for walking/power walking and it has made all the difference. Wow! No hiking boots anytime soon, I will probably not need that level of foot protection this year, but maybe later.

With the Satori, I could not be happier lugging the Hasselblad H system around. But that is the Studio kit and I am working on my own personal smaller kit and I am wondering if anyone here has used the Lotus pack? I think it might be the answer for the smaller kit, which is much less volume to carry and appropriate when all I want is to carry a DSLR, one lens, a few filters and accessories for a smaller project. The Medium Slope ICU should be large enough.

For now, all I can say is that I love the inclusion of a loaded backpack on my daily walks. It is making quite a difference.:):):)

dave.gt

Christopher -

Indeed, as an Arc'teryx enthusiast (I have a few Arrakis packs) as well I find most camera backpacks to be atrocious. I have talked with every manufacturer that will listen (Lowepro, F-Stop, Shimoda, Tenba, etc.) and none have really taken my advice to make a decent carrying photo backpack. One of these days maybe it will happen.

Cheers, Michael

www.michaelclarkphoto.com
Michael,

I have had some time to review your thoughts and look over your website. Thank you for both!!!:thumbup:

Those images are powerful! Wow! I had no idea!!!

Should I aspire to those activities?:) I think not, not at my age, LOL... but you inspire me and I wanted to let you know that.:)

rsinclair

Update!

Another month has gone by and I actually look forward to my backpacking trek around the neighborhood, taking advice from several here, I switched to my old Nike shoes that I once reserved for walking/power walking and it has made all the difference. Wow! No hiking boots anytime soon, I will probably not need that level of foot protection this year, but maybe later.

With the Satori, I could not be happier lugging the Hasselblad H system around. But that is the Studio kit and I am working on my own personal smaller kit and I am wondering if anyone here has used the Lotus pack? I think it might be the answer for the smaller kit, which is much less volume to carry and appropriate when all I want is to carry a DSLR, one lens, a few filters and accessories for a smaller project. The Medium Slope ICU should be large enough.

For now, all I can say is that I love the inclusion of a loaded backpack on my daily walks. It is making quite a difference.:):):)
Hello Dave,

Maybe I missed it somewhere in the thread, but I've not seen any mention of ThinkTank backpacks https://www.thinktankphoto.com/pages/backpacks

To provide some reference on my comments, I'm 62 and been carrying photo gear in backpacks for over 40 years. For most of those years I used Lowe's b/c that's what was largely available and having been a climber in my pre 60's years, thought the climbing Lowe brothers did a nice job of thinking through the designs. While I found improvements over time and was (and can still be at times) really happy w/ the Whistler 450 https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Backpacks/ci/4330/N/4232860972?sts=cat I found it too small or not shaped well for MF and tech cam gear. Its great for 35mm DSLR, lenses, accessories, extra clothing, and very bomb proof, but the depth doesn't accommodate tech cam bodies (Arca R, Factum, Universalis) unless they're placed flat, which then takes up too much space.

This led me to a great Osprey pack, the Farpoint, b/c the straps tuck in and there's a side handle so depending upon the size its a tidy carryon. The "lid" is a full front zip to access the interior body so its open enough allowing me to put a big box Lowe insert I thieved from a roller bag, to place in good dividers all of the gear. There's still plenty of room for all the other stuff as well. It does cinch down well w/ its compression straps, but kept looking around for alternatives b/c I find it a bit cumbersome to unzip the lid to access the insert that I also unzip. Its not an elegant solution, but it carries well on the back, holds lots of gear and other stuff.

This led me to look at ThinkTank models. My first TT purchase was actually a carry on roller bag b/c that's what I also needed and was using the Osprey alongside to check w/ clothes and then switched out my gear when on location. But b/c I was so impressed w/ the TT roller bag, started looking at their backpacks. I ended up getting the Firstlight 40L https://www.thinktankphoto.com/collections/firstlight-series/products/firstlight-40l because; 1) its a carryon size, 2) its depth allows for tech cams, and 3) their dividers are super rigid/sturdy as is the overall body of the pack. I've found this sturdiness to be the case w/ their gear and why all of my other packs are now collecting dust. I've found their packs to be incredibly well designed, built, damage resistant, and very sturdy. I don't like sloppy packs. Not only do they need to hold the gear tightly and securely, especially Copal shutter lenses, they need to remain secure on your back when hiking, climbing, etc. Any left/right movements or sag cause one to adjust their body which will wear one out and potentially cause muscle issues. Our bodies are constantly seeking to be in balance and a sloppy pack makes that task a constant workout! I'm too old to fight that and there ain't enough Advil...

I just returned from Patagonia w/ the TT w/ both the Arca R-Factum and Universalis, 2 Roden lenses, and IQ4, plus all of the needed accessories and tripod and the pack worked like a charm both on the flights and in the field.

My general rules for packs are; 1) comfortable AND stable on my back, 2) rigid interior to keep each piece of equipment stabilized, 3) enough well thought out pockets, attachments, etc for accessories, BUT clean exterior to prevent snagging on limbs, rocks, etc. And durable...

Hope this additional info helps :)

Cheers,
Robert

PS: I always walk in hiking boots in the field b/c ankles need the support to maintain stability on uncertain terrain. And I also use 2 ski poles for further stabilization/balance and they really help the knees and hips on descents :)

Stuart Richardson

If you are ok with investing a bit in shoes, I have been really really happy with Scarpa hiking shoes and boots. I have not had the combination of durability, comfort and quality in any other shoes I have used. Hiking shoes and boots are pretty necessary here, as the terrain is mostly sharp lava rocks covered by varying amounts of grass or moss. Ankle support and strength in the soles makes a huge difference. About four years ago I got a pair of Scarpa Kinesis Pro Gortex hiking boots and they are exceptional...very very comfortable, great support, no rubbing, great lacing, waterproof. They were very expensive here, but I am so happy I invested in them. They are much better than the Vasque and Merrill boots I had before. Since then I have gotten some of their more casual shoes as well, and they are basically daily wear for me here.

As for backpacks, the only one that I have used that I think is really good is the Photobackpacker setup. He is no longer selling them, but they were basically Kelty Redwings modified for holding camera gear. They are really big, so probably much too large for most day hikes, but when I have to carry my 8x10 or 4x5 somewhere, the advantage of having a true backpacking suspension system makes all the difference, not just in strain relief on your shoulders, but in stability...having everything locked down and stable is extremely important when you are climbing or descending steep slopes here. Unfortunately hiking in Iceland often means long flats followed by nearly vertical rocky slopes with lots of loose gravel and stones. Good shoes and packs make a huge difference...I dare say life and death difference in certain places (not so much for me, thankfully!).

Paratom

OK, as someone liking being outside and outdoor activity and photography as well here is my take on some things:
1) I do like gear which is flexible. I choose my outdoor goretex jacket so that it does work for skiing, riding the bike, hiking and everyday use. I rather buy one really good peace of gear instead of 3 specialized ones. So I get a jacket wich is sturdy enough to carry a heavy backpack, where I can open the sides for ventilation for sports where you get warm, and which is not too wide so I can use it for bycicle as well, and in a color and look that I can wear it in the evening as well.
Also Gortex and other tech equipment is far from being good for environment. So I think its better to buy few good pieces and use them as long as possible.
2) I have started to really enjoy wool products. Merino Shirts, Wool in a second layer (swiss wool for example), and also loden jacket. It keeps you warm even if its a little wet, it doesnt smell, and it is a nature product.
3) As suggested before I also like Scarpa shoes, but IMO the fit of shoes is a very personal thing (same for clothes), and just because Scarpa or Lowa works goof for me doesnt mean it needs to work good for others. Thats why I much prefer to go to a store and check things out instead of buying through the internet.

dj may

Some good pointers so far. Below is a photo of my gear in operation. It is pretty much the same in sub-freezing weather and hot weather; the difference is number of layers. I have lived in Alaska, now live in Switzerland, travel a lot and have spent a fair amount of time outdoors in many kinds of weather and terrain.

Probably the most important factor is choosing good gear that is comfortable and fits well. A good piece of gear that fits poorly can cause a great deal of discomfort. Shoes that are only slightly uncomfortable can turn into a nightmare once a loaded pack is carried for a few hours. Likewise, a poorly fitting pack can be miserable after several hours. Shirts, trousers, under layers can cause chafing (I have done mountain ultramarathons and have a few stories about chafing:cool:).

My gear.
1. MOLLE pack, about 35L. I intentionally use a size that is airplane carry-on. I have larger packs, but mainly were used with monorail view cameras. On this day I had two cameras, three lenses, filters, rails, water, batteries, cards, etc. Total weight about 15kg, not including tripod. I have MOLLE pouches attached to the belt and pack, which can be changed according to needs. I also carried YakTraks, which are like snow chains for shoes. I used them shortly after this shot. The trekking poles are for when the terrain gets difficult or I want to go faster. Then, I attach the tripod to the bottom of the pack.
2. Sun protection hat. Since the sun was intense, I stayed warm without a wool hat, but needed the sun protection. My hands were cold, but not too cold that I needed gloves.
3. Wool scarf. This is very important for comfort. It is the first thing that comes off when I start getting too warm.
4. Hooded shell jacket, with permeable membrane. This is a Columbia 3-in-1, which allows one to zip in different layers, if desired. In the pockets I have gloves, balaclava and Icelandic wool hat. On this day I had two shirts and Icelandic wool sweater underneath. I have had up to five layers underneath in colder weather. In colder weather I also carry mittens and mitten shells.
5. Fjällräven Geb trousers. I wear these in all weather. Flexible, large pockets, with long ventilation zippers. In colder weather, long underwear underneath and even colder, rain trousers or snowboard trousers on top (only used once). Even in hot weather I wear long sleeves and long trousers for sun protection. Occasionally, I wear shorts in very hot weather.
6. Lowa Renegade boots. I prefer lightweight shoes. As mentioned before I know people who only use trail-running shoes to minimize the weight on their feet. I lace the boots for flexibility in the ankles. This is done with the top three lacing hooks at the ankle. Most people lace sequentially bottom to top. I lace bottom, top, then middle. I also have overboots for very cold and wet, but I have never used them.

I use this gear for city shoots as well. It gets cold standing around waiting for the right light for an architectural shot.

Jesse

S3007275-Lowres-20190305.jpg

Stuart Richardson

This is quite an interesting thread. I also think it is funny how differently the situation can be felt depending on activity level. I do a lot of night work, and if you are standing still waiting for exposures you need much more insulation than you do if you are hiking. Wind is also totally critical to how much clothing you need (even with a shell layer). I was out last night doing some video work and it was calm and clear, but negative 4 C. Not super cold, but cold enough to be very hard on exposed hands. Going through the stuff I was wearing from head to toe:
Short sleeve wool t-shirt, fjallraven fleece hoodie, wool long underwear, wool socks, insulated EMS canvas pants (basically for construction workers...kind of like carhartt with primaloft insulation), a patagonia ultralight down vest, fjallraven large down jacket, wool hat with both hoods over it, smartwool liner gloves covered by heavy mittens and insulated merrill winter boots. It sounds like a lot because it was! I look like the Michelin Man. But I can also stand comfortable outside for hours. The least successful part is the gloves...the liner gloves are not warm enough and now have holes in them, and the touch screen function does not work well (my monitor has a touch screen), and the mittens are useless for controlling the cameras. I have heard of a company that does good photography gloves from Norway, but the name escapes me right now. I will certainly have a look at their stuff, but I find that for me gloves are quite hard to get a good fit with.

P.S. Here is a snap of my tripod...I realized when I put it in my car that it had built up a nice layer for frost...must have been my breath!

APC_1841.jpg

dave.gt

This is quite an interesting thread. I also think it is funny how differently the situation can be felt depending on activity level. I do a lot of night work, and if you are standing still waiting for exposures you need much more insulation than you do if you are hiking. Wind is also totally critical to how much clothing you need (even with a shell layer). I was out last night doing some video work and it was calm and clear, but negative 4 C. Not super cold, but cold enough to be very hard on exposed hands. Going through the stuff I was wearing from head to toe:
Short sleeve wool t-shirt, fjallraven fleece hoodie, wool long underwear, wool socks, insulated EMS canvas pants (basically for construction workers...kind of like carhartt with primaloft insulation), a patagonia ultralight down vest, fjallraven large down jacket, wool hat with both hoods over it, smartwool liner gloves covered by heavy mittens and insulated merrill winter boots. It sounds like a lot because it was! I look like the Michelin Man. But I can also stand comfortable outside for hours. The least successful part is the gloves...the liner gloves are not warm enough and now have holes in them, and the touch screen function does not work well (my monitor has a touch screen), and the mittens are useless for controlling the cameras. I have heard of a company that does good photography gloves from Norway, but the name escapes me right now. I will certainly have a look at their stuff, but I find that for me gloves are quite hard to get a good fit with.

P.S. Here is a snap of my tripod...I realized when I put it in my car that it had built up a nice layer for frost...must have been my breath!

View attachment 139960
Jesse, Stuart, thanks for sharing your detailed descriptions. You both have backpacking down to an art!

While existing in a completely different universe, I have no aspirations of adventure or even snowy environments so it is with great interest and marvel that I read about your preparations and experiences!!!:)

My simple daily walks with a loaded pack have become ingrained in my thoughts, regardless of the weather. I keep looking at organizational alternatives, accessories and, yes, appropriate shoes and apparel. You guys are very helpful in discussing what you have found that works. This whole backpacking thing has become more than I ever realized it could be. It is actually pleasurable, dare I say "fun"?:)

Is it possible to become "addicted" to backpacking?:facesmack:

Geoff

The backpacking issue - there are a few examples discussed below. The differences come from living with them, and there are no easy answers.

Favorite pack is the Fstop Loka - extremely comfortable, back opening, well made and thought through. Everything seems in just the right place, easy to use. If you don't fill it too much, its an easy carryon for smaller European flights - and you can always get more in it. Now made as the Lotus, a bit lighter weight, thinner materials, not quite as lovely, but still good.

A good smaller pack hasn't been found, but not for lack of trying. F-stop's Guru UL shrinks their successful formula, and the size is good, but its not got the same comfort. The opening panel to the ICU is smaller, and with MFDB gear, its hard to get more than just the camera out. That other lens is awfully cumbersome to access.

Mindshift has the rotating pack, but the big version is too big, and the rotating pack in the small one might hold the camera, lens and back (if not too big), but where is the rest of the gear? Nice idea, but nope.

Thinktank Streetwalker v.2.0 is reasonably well made (their Retrospective bags are great for carryon), a straightforward smaller pack, great for day hikes. It hasn't the comfort of the F-stop Loka, is easier to use than the Guru, and if setup right, comfortable enough. It works, but the second lens isn't any easier to handle than the Guru - easier to get out, no where really to put it. The pack goes on the ground and then you think about the F-stop instead. While it works, it doesn't quite charm like the Loka.

So there are the choices: a smaller straightforward backpack that works well enough, but isn't satisfying, the Guru that isn't so easy and isn't quite comfy, but maybe the right size, or the larger more comfortable Loka? Gee, can't someone solve a "smaller backpack"?

dave.gt

A new to me, Loka UL now contains the much smaller, lighter Nikon kit, solving my problems with two different systems. The Nikon is now my personal camera and had replaced a half dozen other "vintage" cameras that I have used for years. The old cameras are gone and the new Nikon with two lenses now will suffice for awhile. The Loka pack was a godsend (thanks Dave!) because I now have a smaller volume of gear that fits just right in the smaller pack. Total weight is only 10-11 pounds and it is a great companion to the larger Satori.

The Satori, fully loaded is around 30 lbs.because the Studio's H camera gear is much bigger and heavier! Perfect setup for commercial work. I love that pack!

You will find me huffing around my neighborhood most days of the week with one or the other. After almost five months, I can attest to the health benefits of even a limited amount of time walking regularly with a loaded pack.

Btw, the Milky Way Season is just around the corner! Time to find dark skies!:):):)

dave.gt

Device charging! :shocked:

What are you guys doing about being away for an extended time and charging your phone/computer/camera batteries, etc.???

For the longest time I have wanted to make my Billingham Pro Hadley into ... a charging station, if you will. Not that I expect to be hiking and camping overnight anytime soon, or on a week's long motorcycle tour, but I do expect to be spending an inordinate amount of time in hospital this year and it can be nearly impossible to simply charge a phone at times.

And then there are the photo excursions I hope to make with my backpack and those could involve long days away from the home wall outlet. So, instead of a water bladder and hydrating tube sticking through the H2O flap on the F-stop backpack, I would like to make it the charging portal.

What portable chargers are recommended?:)

Btw, I really need a Molle phone case so I don't have to carry my iphone5 in my pocket. Any ideas on that would be appreciated.:cool:

dchew

Dave,
In the context of backpacking, I've found it difficult to justify carrying around (and buying) charging devices vs. just extra batteries. Four extra DB batteries weigh ~400 gms. Tough to beat that. Plus, when backpacking you usually are not in a situation like fashion or portrait where you are taking hundreds of photos in a short period, burning through batteries. I suggest taking a mophie or Jackery battery cell for generic equipment charging like a cell phone and leave it at that.

I suppose if you are interested in video, that may change things.

Dave

Last edited:

dchew

One thing this thread hasn't touched on is reading material. My go-to bible for the last ~ 40 years has always been Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills. Some chapters may not be relevant to the masses, but there is a wealth of information on necessary learning at the beginning and end of the book even if you never tie into a rope. It is now on its 9th edition, which I just purchased. That makes four editions on my shelf, starting with #4 (my brother has the well-worn 3rd edition).

Dave

Last edited:

algrove

Device charging! :shocked:

What are you guys doing about being away for an extended time and charging your phone/computer/camera batteries, etc.???

For the longest time I have wanted to make my Billingham Pro Hadley into ... a charging station, if you will. Not that I expect to be hiking and camping overnight anytime soon, or on a week's long motorcycle tour, but I do expect to be spending an inordinate amount of time in hospital this year and it can be nearly impossible to simply charge a phone at times.

And then there are the photo excursions I hope to make with my backpack and those could involve long days away from the home wall outlet. So, instead of a water bladder and hydrating tube sticking through the H2O flap on the F-stop backpack, I would like to make it the charging portal.

What portable chargers are recommended?:)

Btw, I really need a Molle phone case so I don't have to carry my iphone5 in my pocket. Any ideas on that would be appreciated.:cool:
Great thread BTW.

Well a charger for charging what?

iphone for apps? Camera batteries? If you use a Nitecore charger for camera batteries then you can use the USB plug and plug that into say a MyCharge USB socket for charging camera batteries or plug the MyCharge lightening plug directly into an iPhone or the other plug into an Android phone. Sure it weighs a bit, but I consider it a dual purpose device. To charge the MyCharge it has US prongs that flip out for easy wall charging once you get to a restaurant, etc. or real sleeping place -a hotel.

Just my 2 cents.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Of course, if you're truly hiking around during the day there is the option of a solar charger that you can just fix to the back of your pack.