The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Backpacking Experiences and Tips

Stuart Richardson

Dave,
In the context of backpacking, I've found it difficult to justify carrying around (and buying) charging devices vs. just extra batteries. Four extra DB batteries weigh ~400 gms. Tough to beat that. Plus, when backpacking you usually are not in a situation like fashion or portrait where you are taking hundreds of photos in a short period, burning through batteries. I suggest taking a mophie or Jackery battery cell for generic equipment charging like a cell phone and leave it at that.

I suppose if you are interested in video, that may change things.

Dave
This is my experience as well...though I am generally not going all that far. I often bring a ton of gear in my car (it is a problem, honestly...), but when I am actually out walking I keep it minimal...sometimes very minimal. I went for a short hike yesterday and only brought the Mamiya 7II with an 80mm and two extra rolls of film. Of course I also go without a camera too. If you are going overnight or know that you are going to need X numbers of batteries because of specific needs, then I would say bring extra batteries. I think it is also good to remember that usually we are doing this for enjoyment of being in nature...in that case I find it often nicer to focus less on getting every possible shot than on being a bit more open to rolling with whatever circumstances are being thrown at me. If that is an unexpected beautiful thing I come upon, or a dead battery telling me that I should be paying more attention to the camera in my head than the one in my hands.

As for practical answers, I can't help too much...I have not felt much need for chargers on the trail. That said, I have used the USB charging accessory for the Lupine headlamps that I use, and that works brilliantly for the phone if you are caught out, and I am sure it would work just as well to charge a battery...depending on the relative size of both etc.

dchew

This is my experience as well...though I am generally not going all that far. I often bring a ton of gear in my car (it is a problem, honestly...), but when I am actually out walking I keep it minimal...sometimes very minimal. I went for a short hike yesterday and only brought the Mamiya 7II with an 80mm and two extra rolls of film. Of course I also go without a camera too. If you are going overnight or know that you are going to need X numbers of batteries because of specific needs, then I would say bring extra batteries. I think it is also good to remember that usually we are doing this for enjoyment of being in nature...in that case I find it often nicer to focus less on getting every possible shot than on being a bit more open to rolling with whatever circumstances are being thrown at me. If that is an unexpected beautiful thing I come upon, or a dead battery telling me that I should be paying more attention to the camera in my head than the one in my hands.
This is exactly how I look at it too. I mentioned above doing video might make a difference, but I think algrove's point is better: A charger for charging what? If you rely on a bunch of different devices that need batteries, then field charging makes more sense. I'm carrying five devices that need batteries when backpacking at least one night:
UV water sterilizer
SPOT emergency tracker
Camera
iPhone
Headlamp

The iPhone is pretty much along for the ride in case I get back to the car and lost my keys, so I don't need to recharge it; it is generally turned off. The UV, headlamp and SPOT have standard batteries, and I don't take spares since I could deal with any of them dying while I'm out. It is really only the camera I care about. I'm a died-in-the-wool map person and don't even own a stand-alone gps.

However, if you want to read by iPad or Kindle, use a gps, rely on your iPhone, shoot video, shoot stills, do light painting, etc, then a solar charger makes sense because it stands in for a bunch of batteries associated with all those devices.

Dave

Last edited:

dave.gt

Today, in the Southeast, we are finally able to breathe a little without the yellow-green pollen dust storms, thanks to a little welcomed rain early this morning.

I am looking forward to walking with the backpack... the 30-40lb Satori has become my friend 4-5 days a week and the 10-12 lb. loaded Loka is a joy to use the rest of the week!

There is a downside, though.:(

Just like when I was walking 5 miles and biking 30 miles a day ten years ago (a lot for me), I feel addicted to "exercise backpacking"! It is a fear that if I don't do it, something bad will happen. Lol, I think this feeling is more normal than others will admit... I hope anyway.:grin:

As soon as pollen season ends, we will head out for a day trip to Western North Carolina, chasing waterfalls and re-visiting Appalachia.

What is everyone else doing this Spring?:)

How are you preparing?

Shashin

One thing this thread hasn't touched on is reading material. My go-to bible for the last ~ 40 years has always been Mountaineering: The Freedom of the Hills. Some chapters may not be relevant to the masses, but there is a wealth of information on necessary learning at the beginning and end of the book even if you never tie into a rope. It is now on its 9th edition, which I just purchased. That makes four editions on my shelf, starting with #4 (my brother has the well-worn 3rd edition).

Dave

The fourth edition of Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills is still sitting on my bookself. I never felt I had to update it.

Shashin

Here are some other insights into wilderness photography. The first you may want to skip if you are afraid of heights. It is also a series of pages which you can access through left and right arrows on the page.

https://alpineexposures.com/phototips/tips-from-the-pros-which-camera-gear

https://www.davemorrowphotography.com/backpacking-essentials

https://www.mountainphotographer.com/my-backpacking-gear/

https://garyluhm.net/backpacking-photographer-lightweight-gear/

https://www.alexnail.com/blog/articles/backpacking-photography-pt-2-camera-equipment/

And for a disciplined approach (note the date): http://www.backpackingnorth.com/blog/2014/3/27/ultralight-photography

You will not how important spreadsheet software is for these folks. If you pay attention to the ounces, the pounds will take care of themselves. I actually moved to a Fuji APS-C system (X Pro2) for the weight it saved me (my spreadsheet tells me a three lens setup is 35%-40% lighter than an M10 or Sony equivalent). But the concept of ultralight is genius: the cost of the best equipment does not only lighten your pack, but also your wallet (a twofer). But when you start thinking about foregoing underwear and pulling fillings, you have probably crossed a line.

Although...

dave.gt

Small iPhone case for backpack, with Molle attachment needed!

Somehow I haven't found the right case for my iPhone. Carrying in my pocket does not work. Nor does putting it in the backpack or in a stretch pocket on the side.

I need one that will attach to the shoulder of hip straps. For ease of access and use.

Anyone have a good solution?:grin:

algrove

Small iPhone case for backpack, with Molle attachment needed!

Somehow I haven't found the right case for my iPhone. Carrying in my pocket does not work. Nor does putting it in the backpack or in a stretch pocket on the side.

I need one that will attach to the shoulder of hip straps. For ease of access and use.

Anyone have a good solution?:grin:
Mindshift perhaps.

algrove

"Phone case" dimensions are all very different so smallish cases might work for your phone with space to spare. It does not have to say phone case to be small and hold a phone.

dave.gt

With all the help in so many ways from you guys in this forum, I would like to thank you once again and update my solitary experiences so far. With a short window of time to do that, I will share over multiple posts and for now, let you in on a challenge that I set for myself last year and yesterday, I successfully completed it.:)

With the surprise gift of a pre-owned Satori backpack many months ago from another forum member, I was introduced to the world of backpacking. I had never tried one on let alone use one for any purpose whatsoever. It was like opening a door to to a place where I was in control of something, but I didn't know what. So, with your help, hours of research, daydreaming, and photo excursions with my friend, tcdeveau, I began the backpacking experience. It was strange at first and completely foreign to me.

However, I dedicated most days of the week for huffing around the neighborhood for short periods of time, with a loaded backpack (roughly 30# on average). The short walks were laughable to experienced backpackers, but my caregiving duties require my complete attention and presence except for very short intervals. The good news is the cumulative effect of regular exercise over time.

My challenge was to work up to a fully loaded 40# pack plus a near 10# tripod; complete an excursion alone, in a local nature area; make a few long exposures with my new 10-stop ND filter; and return within an hour. Not much of a challenge, perhaps, but it was huge for me considering I have been house-bound for so many years.

The entire trek was only a few miles through wooded areas, up and down hills and along ridges, and then a nice winding walk along Line Creek, to the rocky shoals where locals bring their kids on weekends to play in the water.

To my surprise, I was the only human for miles around. It occurred to me that I might have made a strategic mistake, but I continued on in the 90° heat and oppressive humidity, something I had not experienced for decades, in another life, in another world.

With my time restraints, I took residence in the rocks at the second location I selected, not worrying about composition so much as just getting some good captures and enjoying my freedom. I set up quickly and stopped to breathe, really breathe the air and, like a sponge, absorbed the sensory overload I was experiencing. It was glorious.

Two camera systems, 12 captures total.

Then it was time to leave. The walk back was, of course, uphill all the way... :)

Sweating profusely, I could not help but smile when I returned to our old SUV, turned on the air conditioning and realized that I had completed my challenge, with 10 minutes to spare. The results of the images would surely be not so good as I forgot several key settings and made exposure mistakes, but I would find out later that I did ok, considering....:)

c/o Studio INSPIRE!
Hasselbladd H5D-50c:
Line Creek Bend by Hasselblad FINAL 2.jpeg

Final result:

I've got this.:thumbs:

Last edited:

Ikarus

What a great thread. It sounds like you're doing really well, Dave!

I thought I might share with you some thoughts from the bottom of the World. Here, we "tramp" - that implies walking in the wilderness (the bush) typically multi-day trips, carrying food and clothing, but typically not tents (we have huts). My first 4 day tramp was when I was 10, and I've been heading into the hills pretty consistently since. I'm not a climber or alpinist, but it is nice to get above the tree line. My longest outing (Trekking) was in Nepal a few years ago - we were in the hills for over a month, staying mostly in tea houses. It was a life changing experience.

I'm only vaguely familiar with Georgia and North Carolina, but I have ridden a motorbike through that country - even in May, a lot of it was terribly cold, stark but beautiful (I was rather taken by the dog woods in flower). There is really not that much difference between what you need for a day trip or longer (other than changes of clothes etc).

For photography, I like to have my hands free and a camera in easy reach. In Nepal, I had a Lowe Pro bag slung over my head and shoulder, with the bag attached to my waist strap - it came off and on with my pack, didn't bang about and I could get at it easily. In those days, I carried an FM2, mid-range zoom and 180mm f/2, and lots of film! It was an easy arrangement. These days, I try to emulate that set up - the Lowe Pro is long gone. I like to have a tripod, so I bought three Novoflex hiking sticks and a tripod head. That way, I can unscrew the handles from the hiking sticks (one is strapped to the side of my pack), and I have an effective tripod - lightweight and easy to set up.

For gear, I take the SL and zooms (last walk I took the 90-280 - heavy, but I wanted the reach - and the 24-90). For my next walk (in January), I'm considering the 16-35 zoom and the 75 Summicron-SL. I doubt I'll take the X1D II ... I won't take a charger - just a couple of spare batteries. I may use my phone as a remote.

I use either an 80 litre or 40 litre pack (depending on the length of the walk). Both are proper back packs, with internal harnesses which spread the load across the hips - they're locally made - MacPac Torre and a Cactus 40 litre. I cannot stress enough that your pack needs to fit you well and be comfortable all day. There's a huge difference between a pack that fits and one that doesn't.

Next (or perhaps more) important is your feet. Much will depend on where you're walking, whether you continue to use running shoes or tramping boots. The choice really comes down to ankle support. If you're walking on uneven ground, then proper leather ankle books with Vibram soles are really good. On formed tracks, shoes are fine - I use Salomon XA-Pro shoes. They are like a running shoe, but they have a stiff sole and breathable fabric tops. Fit is the key, and woollen socks - nothing else will suffice. Just a tip - if you have to cross a river or stream, don't take your boots or shoes off. I often see visitors taking their shoes off and walking across rivers here - they stumble about, cutting and bruising their sensitive feet. You have boots for walking into rivers and streams - do so with pride, then sit on the bank, squeeze out your socks and warm your feet in the sun, watching people flounder about!

Hurt your feet, you're in trouble.

I never venture into the wild without a rudimentary first aid kit (anti-histamines, chocolate, a silver blanket, chocolate, paracetamol, chocolate, sunblock, plasters, bandage, choc ... etc), and if I'm going way off track, I take my Spot (with fresh batteries). I always take a sun hat and a woollen beanie and a rain jacket (I have an Arcteryx). For clothing - shorts (no matter how cold - you lose very little heat from your legs, but if there are sandflies, I wear merino long johns under my shorts - it's a local thing - sandflies are vicious), wool socks, merino top, merino jersey, down puffer jacket (small, weighs nothing and will save you if you get cold), and rain jacket. If I'm straying far, a change of clothes (underwear, socks, merino shirt, change of shorts or longs and jersey) in a plastic bag - if you get wet, you must have a dry change of clothes available to avoid hypothermia. There's nothin like merino - hot or cold, wet or dry, it's a miracle fabric.

For water, in Nepal I used to carry two 1 litre water bottles - one I was drinking from, the other recently filled and with water treatment in it - I'd switch them. For treatment, like anywhere, we also have giardiasis in our streams. I take a 2 litre Hydrapak bladder in my backpack, with the hose threaded through to my right shoulder. With 2 litres, I don't need to refill. But if I do, I take silver tablets - chlorine is ineffective against many waterborne bugs; iodine works well, but tastes bad and really isn't good for you. Most outdoor shops should have silver based water treatment tablets - they're very effective and largely taste free, but they are expensive ...

Take the road less traveled, smile to everyone you meet (say Kia Ora - it will confuse them), and take photographs and memories, leaving only footprints!

robdeszan

For a light setup (tripod one 35mm body and three primes), definitely think-tank rotation 180. It would be limiting for a MF kit, possibly a body with a single lens for a minimalist approach (it really depends on the camera), but nothing beats it for quick access while hiking and being able to pack day trip essentials which can also be accessed with no fuss. I love it, personally.

dave.gt

A final image from my 4th of July Challenge. Turning around and shooting downstream.

Line Creek Downstream FINAL Leica S.jpeg

It has been one week now and in retrospect, there are a number of things I would do a little differently, but having never been to this location and under a time limit restriction, I am pleased that I did meet my own challenge and experienced shooting quickly and not making too many mistakes.

Looking forward to my next backpacking challenge!:)

dave.gt

Trek poles?:)

Ok, Fall is around the corner. Time to ramp up my daily neighborhood walks. I am so looking forward to heading to the mountains in the coming weeks. But I am now considering a trek pole... or is it two? Is there a monopod option? Self-defense option? (LOL... I was attacked once by two 80# Ridgebacks and all I had was a phone and running shoes.:()

So, what do you guys recommend for a sturdy compact solution?:salute:

Over the last couple of years I've gotten into backpacking and have a goal of taking the best camera that I can afford, and lug, up into the mountains. The best information that I've found is from the thru hikers on the AT and PCT (Appalachian & Pacific Crest Trails). These kids (I generalize) are amazing in their pursuit of lightweight gear. Now I'm not in for the ultralight hiking part, I'm in it to offset the 8 1/2 pounds of Hassy gear I want to carry. I mostly take my Hasselblad X1D and Xpan lens kit or my SWC/M kit when I go.

I'm about to head out for a 5 day trip to Berg Lake / Mt Robson in BC and am taking the Superwide. My total pack weight is looking to be 28 pounds and about 8 1/2 of that is camera gear (31% of my total pack weight). Ultralight camping gear is expensive, well unless compared to camera gear, then it seems cheap. :bugeyes:

If anyone is interested, here's a pretty complete list of my gear for this hike.

https://lighterpack.com/r/58vbz4

Cheers, Bill

dave.gt

Wow, Bill, amazingly detailed list of everything! :bugeyes:

Looks like you will have everything you need and I wish a great trip. I see you listed the ICU, but I seem unable to find what backpack you are using.:facesmack:

It must be a large one with all that you have listed to carry! Amazing!:salute:

Wow, Bill, amazingly detailed list of everything! :bugeyes:

Looks like you will have everything you need and I wish a great trip. I see you listed the ICU, but I seem unable to find what backpack you are using.:facesmack:

It must be a large one with all that you have listed to carry! Amazing!:salute:
Hey Dave,

No I'm using an f-stop gear small ICU. You can attach straps to them and use them as small shoulder bags. In my case I'm using a peak design strap for compatibility with my other strap needs. Here's a quick pick of my camera gear for this trip.

-  - BillEvansPhotography.net.jpg

I tuck this into a Zpacks drybag in my hiking backpack for the trek and then the break out the f-stop and carry as needed once I set up camp.

Cheers, Bill

dchew

Trek poles?:)

Ok, Fall is around the corner. Time to ramp up my daily neighborhood walks. I am so looking forward to heading to the mountains in the coming weeks. But I am now considering a trek pole... or is it two? Is there a monopod option? Self-defense option? (LOL... I was attacked once by two 80# Ridgebacks and all I had was a phone and running shoes.:()

So, what do you guys recommend for a sturdy compact solution?:salute:
Dave,
For many years I was against trekking poles. Then I finally tried them. Wonderful tools. You should get a pair not just one. They should be folding, adjustable and as light weight as you can justify spending.

Dave

Ikarus

Hi Dave,

I hope your walks in the woods are going well.

I’m off for a three day tramp in January (no tent - we have huts - so, food, clothing and camera gear, maybe a bottle of wine for the first night ...), and I’ve started planning. Not sure what camera to take yet - SL with 24-90 is close to the top of the list.

I’ve just received a neat little gadget I thought you might be interested in - a Peak Design Capture clip. Basically, it’s a small plate you screw onto the base of your camera (it’s compatible with Arca Swiss tripod heads), with a clip you can attach to your backpack straps or belt - a great camera carry solution.

More here - https://www.peakdesign.com/collections/clips/