The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Backpacking Experiences and Tips

dave.gt

The world has changed recently for me. A backpack of all things has finally become a part of my daily routine, or is it addiction?:)

My neighbors and passing vehicles slow down to watch me huffing around the neighborhood with the loaded backpack, a sight that appears to be unique around here. I can only imagine what goes on in their heads when they see the Gitzo tripod attached to the backpack, reminiscent of elk hunters in the northern areas of this country.:bugeyes:

I am feeling a little paranoid.:)

My world has changed. I am getting back to being fit, albeit slowly. But progress is progress. With a few issues common to the human condition, I still manage to enjoy the experience because I know when we go out to a photo location, the additional load of pushing a wheelchair and other necessities will be easier.

However, Spring is not far off. I am getting organized with my gear and I still need some tips on what will make things easier and safer.

Let's begin from the ground up... my present Merrell tactical low-rise shoes are not ideal by any means. I need something to wear that breathes and is wide enough up front.

Other tips? Tripod carry. The Satori handles the huge Gitzo fine, but there is room for improvement even after I get used to adding that extra 8-9 pounds.

Exercises. How about a daily routine to make the carry better?

Many thanks in advance from this new backpacking shooter.:)

dave.gt

Keeping in mind, redundancy is your friend.

I am also thinking of a medic bag (more than just a first aid kit)maybe one with molle attachment...

dchew

Dave,
Are you talking about overnight backpacking, or more general hiking with a backpack that begins and ends in one day? The amount of non-photo gear is dramatically different. I assume the latter, since you mention pushing around the wheelchair.

In regards to shoes, I've gone lighter and lighter as I've aged. unless there are crampons on my feet, I get as close to running shoes as possible given the weather, terrain and water. I'm done lifting 1.5 lbs of boots with each step 10,000 times a day! If you are talking about hiking around town and on light trails, then I would use trail running shoes. Gortex is ok for the occasional puddle, but I've tried both and frankly the jury is still out in my head on whether it makes a difference. Feet sweat a lot, and I'm not sure if all that moisture gets out through the membrane before it condenses and gets your feet wet anyway. I'm old school and still coat leather shoes with Sno-Seal. But light trail running shoes obviously aren't leather, so Gortex may make sense if you are going to often be out in wet weather. If you know it will be dry, I don't think Gortex is a good idea. These days my favorite socks are from these guys: darntough.com. In many ways I think socks are more important than the boots / shoes you pick.

As for getting in shape, I am a big fan of finding a local hill and hiking up and down that hill a few hundred times. Steps work too, but your biggest risk of injury (besides sunburn!) is twisting an ankle when going down hill. Working out on an actual hill will strengthen those "other" muscles that don't get touched on a step machine. Start without a pack, then get the pack and add weight over time.

There are a lot of prefabbed medical kits, but given your situation I would get a generic bag or molle attachment like you mentioned and build your own from scratch with materials that fit you and your wife's specific needs. Put dates on things. My wife has a medical kit she's been carrying around in her car for probably 30 years. I can't imagine what shape that gauze pad is in...

Layer, layer and layer you clothes. Usually people get cold because they get wet. Layering allows you to regulate your temperature so you don't sweat, get wet, stop and then get cold. At least one of your layers should be windproof, and it should be the outer one. Keep a warm hat in the pack forever. I don't know if it is really true, but ever since I was a kid I was taught we lose 50% of our heat off our head. Cold hands? Put on a hat. Cold feet? put on a hat.

That's a start!

Dave

Christopher

Backpacks are one thing I don’t get. Why is there still in 2019 no great hiking backpack. All the usual ones are ok, but certainly so much room for improvement, especially regarding hipbelt.

Perhaps it’s my problem as I have two arcteryx backpacks with their flexible disc system and it’s 10times more comfortable. When I go back to my photo backpacks I feel like going back to the stone ages.

Besides backpacks, I do love arcteryx jackets and stuff, they are freaking expensive, but last forever.

dchew

Dave,
If you are pushing a wheelchair, this won't apply: trekking poles really help. It took me a while to warm up to them, but they are a benefit even on flat terrain.

Dave

MartinN

Whenever I'm not 100% sure about no precipitation I take along some rain protection.
The options can be one or several of these:
1. A poncho cover a lot including the backpack
2. Backpack raincover. Lowepro has it included, but f-stop needs one, and there are generic on the market,
so it doesn't need to be f-stop brand
3. One or several dry sack's. The one's of waterproof ballistic nylon are extremely lightweight and can be used
for cameras or lenses
4. Lighteweight umbrella preferably photographer's with a clamp that can be used without handholding
But the weather forecast may indicate that none of these are really needed

Last edited:

drunkenspyder

<SNIP>
If you know it will be dry, I don't think Gortex is a good idea. These days my favorite socks are from these guys: darntough.com. In many ways I think socks are more important than the boots / shoes you pick.
<SNIP>
Dave
Two pieces of great advice. GoreTex [and other trade name equivalents] is excellent for certain conditions, and more suited in my view to particular garments [shells] or equipment [single-wall 4-season tents]. And socks [and sock fit and dynamics while you wear them] are, in some ways, more important, or at least as important, as the shoe/boot. Thanks for that link Dave Chew. I guess that makes it three pieces of great advice!

JoelM

One thing I do that helps, is I wear ankle weights, about $12 on Amazon, while training.

Joel

dj may

One thing I do that helps, is I wear ankle weights, about $12 on Amazon, while training.

Joel
That is one of the worst things to do. If you want to exercise with additional weight put in on your body, eg, vest or backpack, or light weights in your hands. Your ligaments and tendons in your legs and feet are vulnerable to the excessive force from weight at the end of a lever, which is your leg.

drunkenspyder

Backpacks are one thing I don’t get. Why is there still in 2019 no great hiking backpack. All the usual ones are ok, but certainly so much room for improvement, especially regarding hipbelt.

Perhaps it’s my problem as I have two arcteryx backpacks with their flexible disc system and it’s 10times more comfortable. When I go back to my photo backpacks I feel like going back to the stone ages.

Besides backpacks, I do love arcteryx jackets and stuff, they are freaking expensive, but last forever.
I completely agree that photo backpacks seems like a compromise, though I I have to admit the Atlas Athlete is the most comfortable I have tried so far outside the Seek Outside Exposure or my all-time favorite, which is anything by Dan McHale. If you're serious about your backpacking, and there is any chance you might use it for more than just a day hike, check out this review of the Exposure. It's written by Jack Brauer—who might even be a member of this forum; if not, he ought to be; he knows his stuff—and while it's a tad dated, it's spot on. This is the only pack I have found that is a true backpacking/photo alternative to a custom pack.

P.S. But don't get me started on Arc’teryx. I tried that pivoting hip belt stuff, and it just seemed completely gimmicky and uncomfortable for me. YMMV, of course, and zero personal offense is intended. One of my sons-in-law absolutely Arc’teryx gear, but except for one ultralight down jacket/liner, I have returned everything of theirs I have ever tried. And the seams are coming out of that jacket after less than 6 months. They've eagerly agreed to repair it, but I shouldn't have to.I would never tell anyone not to try an AT, because each of us is different in so many ways. But I would caution not to buy based on brand name alone. Whatever you buy, make sure you can return it. And truly try it out with 30 pounds or more of gear on your back.

JoelM

That is one of the worst things to do. If you want to exercise with additional weight put in on your body, eg, vest or backpack, or light weights in your hands. Your ligaments and tendons in your legs and feet are vulnerable to the excessive force from weight at the end of a lever, which is your leg.
I'm talking 1 to 3.5 pounds. There is no data suggesting that this is bad for you unless you have a preexisting condition. Start light and work up. Some shoes weigh 1 to 2 pounds more than running shoes so I wouldn't advise someone not to wear hiking boots because they will cause ligament damage.

Joel

Christopher

Don't worry, I won’t be offended everyone has different taste and needs. I for one have hiked with so much stuff and different equipment that I can say what I prefer.

When it comes to the actually quality of the stuff I can’t say one negative thing. I own a lot of their stuff, but also lots of other company. My Omega SV jacket is now 8years old and still is like new. Best severe weather jacked I have owned.

drunkenspyder

Don't worry, I won’t be offended everyone has different taste and needs. I for one have hiked with so much stuff and different equipment that I can say what I prefer.

When it comes to the actually quality of the stuff I can’t say one negative thing. I own a lot of their stuff, but also lots of other company. My Omega SV jacket is now 8years old and still is like new. Best severe weather jacked I have owned.
Hope that it keeps on keeping you dry!

dave.gt

Dave,
Are you talking about overnight backpacking, or more general hiking with a backpack that begins and ends in one day? The amount of non-photo gear is dramatically different. I assume the latter, since you mention pushing around the wheelchair.

In regards to shoes, I've gone lighter and lighter as I've aged. unless there are crampons on my feet, I get as close to running shoes as possible given the weather, terrain and water. I'm done lifting 1.5 lbs of boots with each step 10,000 times a day! If you are talking about hiking around town and on light trails, then I would use trail running shoes. Gortex is ok for the occasional puddle, but I've tried both and frankly the jury is still out in my head on whether it makes a difference. Feet sweat a lot, and I'm not sure if all that moisture gets out through the membrane before it condenses and gets your feet wet anyway. I'm old school and still coat leather shoes with Sno-Seal. But light trail running shoes obviously aren't leather, so Gortex may make sense if you are going to often be out in wet weather. If you know it will be dry, I don't think Gortex is a good idea. These days my favorite socks are from these guys: darntough.com. In many ways I think socks are more important than the boots / shoes you pick.

As for getting in shape, I am a big fan of finding a local hill and hiking up and down that hill a few hundred times. Steps work too, but your biggest risk of injury (besides sunburn!) is twisting an ankle when going down hill. Working out on an actual hill will strengthen those "other" muscles that don't get touched on a step machine. Start without a pack, then get the pack and add weight over time.

There are a lot of prefabbed medical kits, but given your situation I would get a generic bag or molle attachment like you mentioned and build your own from scratch with materials that fit you and your wife's specific needs. Put dates on things. My wife has a medical kit she's been carrying around in her car for probably 30 years. I can't imagine what shape that gauze pad is in...

Layer, layer and layer you clothes. Usually people get cold because they get wet. Layering allows you to regulate your temperature so you don't sweat, get wet, stop and then get cold. At least one of your layers should be windproof, and it should be the outer one. Keep a warm hat in the pack forever. I don't know if it is really true, but ever since I was a kid I was taught we lose 50% of our heat off our head. Cold hands? Put on a hat. Cold feet? put on a hat.

That's a start!

Dave
Wow, thanks, Dave! There is a lot of information in your post.:)

With my direction changing/expanding, there is still no plan for overnight hikes even though we hope to be shooting nighttime sessions as I delve deeper into Astro P work. Good thing too, my loaded pack is about where I would like to max out weight-wise. Adding a tent, sleeping bag, etc. is not going to happen any time soon. If it does, I will be riding a bagger instead of hiking, LOL...:)

At the moment, I am kind of ready and set for the occasional short hikes for skylines, waterfalls, and on-location shoots. But there are a lot of things including those you mentioned that I need to consider. I thank you for your thoughtful post, as always!

I also need a really good backpack charger(s) for the iPhone and iPad. No idea which ones to look at. And there are the special needs like medicines, BP machine, clothing articles, snacks, water, and an alternative to the iPhone if in a remote area. I have heard of a portable satellite system but I have not researched that yet.

The medic bag will be interesting to custom outfit. Maybe two bags, one on the pack and another on the wheelchair. Obviously there will be times and locations when my bride is not coming along so I will have some flexibility in my packing. But a good photographer's umbrella would be good regardless!:):):)

Hausen

My favourite pack for hiking would be my F-Stop Anja. All the straps are snug and comfortable for me, even the waist strap. Only thing for me is the pack gets dirty because of the way you put it down and access from the inside. So I use the Wardrd Prvke for travel.

Shoe wise, after my accident I hike in Salomon Speedcross 4s. They are trail running shoes and as such have super soft inners which really help me with my damaged leg, great knobs on the bottom for traction, and they have a gortex option. My tripod choice now is super light as well, a Benro GoTravel 2 with Arca Swiss L60.

The key for me is to not take to much gear. I used to take everything, (pre-accident), and wondered why I didn't enjoy alpine hikes in Switzerland when we visit my wife's homeland. Dumbass you are carrying too much gear especially at 3000m altitude. Now 1 camera and at most 2 lenses, normally just 1, tripod, filters and that is it.

I also wear Coolibar sun smart shirts. They are UPF50, and my Outdoor Research hiking pants are also UPF50. They both breath really well and are super comfortable to wear. I have a collection of great hats as well. As soon as I turned 50 I started getting BCC skin cancers so now I cover up. NZ sun is up there with the worst in the world.

I often wear 2XU compression tights as well if I have done a lot of hiking and my legs are already pre-fatigued. The recovery ones are great as well after you have had a shower.

Shashin

This is what I use: an Osprey Farpoint 40 internal frame pack. It carries weight very well. I gave up using photo backpack some time ago.

My lenses are in a Think Tank belt and pouch system (bottom of the main compartment). The belt comes out when I am shooting, but then can go into the bag in bad weather or when just moving quickly. While I have a rain cover, I also carry a garbage bag to stuff things in when in a downpour. The camera is in a padded insert at the top of the main compartment. (And make sure there is room for food, jackets, and other non-photo stuff)

Usually, when I am shooting, the camera is mounted on the tripod and I simply carry that against my shoulder while extended. When collapsed, I put one tripod leg through where the strap meets the bottom of the bag. It is easy to get out if I need it without taking the pack off and it lets me walk.

I find most people don't know how to wear a pack and adjust the straps to carry a pack comfortably. The weight of the pack should be on your hips, with the straps just holding the bag against your back. If the weight is distributed that way, carrying the pack is faily effortless.

Multi-day or month trips are different, but that is another post...

dchew

I will open another can of worms: water - how much and how to carry? In Dave.gt’s case, I think 1 liter is enough and use a water bottle.

Before a hike I stand around and drink as much as I can, usually a liter over a period of 30 minutes to an hour. Then I am well hydrated at the start. I will carry 0.5 - 1 liter in the pack depending on length and conditions. I hate carrying water; it’s sooo darn heavy.

If I am going to be out multiple nights I will also bring a 2 liter bladder half full. That keeps it from being a big bulge in the pack. I still bring a std nalgene water bottle for convenience and for treating.

As for treatment, that is the industry I’m in, and I am far too opinionated on that topic. :loco:

Dave, in your case I wouldn’t worry about treatment at all. You are out only one day and not too far from civilization. Hydrate before you start, drink what you have with you then just go thirsty. If you are worried about extra water for your wife, then bring a few chlorine pills in the med kit for emergencies. They weigh nothing and work against most things as long as you wait long enough. With chlorine, time is your friend. The one thing chlorine doesn’t kill well is crypto, but your best chance of getting crypto is at the local pool. So, just don’t go for a swim to cool off in the summer. :cool:

Dave

dave.gt

This is what I use: an Osprey Farpoint 40 internal frame pack. It carries weight very well. I gave up using photo backpack some time ago.

My lenses are in a Think Tank belt and pouch system (bottom of the main compartment). The belt comes out when I am shooting, but then can go into the bag in bad weather or when just moving quickly. While I have a rain cover, I also carry a garbage bag to stuff things in when in a downpour. The camera is in a padded insert at the top of the main compartment. (And make sure there is room for food, jackets, and other non-photo stuff)

Usually, when I am shooting, the camera is mounted on the tripod and I simply carry that against my shoulder while extended. When collapsed, I put one tripod leg through where the strap meets the bottom of the bag. It is easy to get out if I need it without taking the pack off and it lets me walk.

I find most people don't know how to wear a pack and adjust the straps to carry a pack comfortably. The weight of the pack should be on your hips, with the straps just holding the bag against your back. If the weight is distributed that way, carrying the pack is faily effortless.

Multi-day or month trips are different, but that is another post...
Cool!

Will,

I love Osprey packs and the 55 looks really handy with the detachable day pack.:)

Christopher

Water depends on two things. Duration and conditions. I normally hike in normal conditions (10c-30c) on normal hikes 4-8hours with 3L hydration bladder. To that I add 750ml of isotonic drink in a bottle. On longer hikes I'll add 1 of additional water. However, when I hiked in death valley for 7 hours I actually carried 8L of water. Same was in grand Canyon on a 14hour hike. It's a lot of weight but honestly, you are NOT ALLOWED to run out of water on a long hike.

When it comes to shoes, it's a lot of training and depended on conditions. I prefer to hike 80% of everything in Salomon Speedcross Pro. Even when carrying heavy loads, I'm used to these shoes and don't need any more protection. However, when there is coarse gravel involved I get my real hiking boots which have more ankle protection.

Pemihan

However, when I hiked in death valley for 7 hours I actually carried 8L of water. Same was in grand Canyon on a 14hour hike. It's a lot of weight but honestly, you are NOT ALLOWED to run out of water on a long hike.
True! A few years back a guy died in Death Valley, he went on not so long of a hike from with half a liter of water.
Same goes if you are driving in remote areas especially in the dessert. Every year people die because their vehicle breaks down far away from anything. Fill up your vehicle with gallons of water, never can have enough. And plenty of food as well, energy bars, nuts, trail mix etc.