The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ4 | XF Issues/Bugs

I thought it'd be a good idea to separate this from the firmware wishlist.

Here we can list any issues we encounter with the operation of this kit.
I also think it's important to post them here so we can build consensus and not just keep it between us and our dealers.

The impetus for this thread comes from shooting some product last night.

Context: Tethered in Studio
Camera: XF + 4150 + 150 2.8 + Profoto Air Remote in hotshoe + IIQ16 (not EX) + Mirror Up
Computer: Desktop - Threadripper, 32gb ram, 1080ti, 970 EVO

Firing via C1, approx 1.25-1.5/shots per second for about 4-10 shots - Around 4 shots in, the captures stopped firing on time(would press ctrl-k and it would take a 1-2 seconds before the shot would fire), would also miss sync from the flash resulting in black frames, and then about 8 shots in, the whole system locked up - showed capture error, and require power cycling, and reconnecting to C1.

I understand the black frames - as overshooting the flash is fairly normal. But the catastrophic failure of the back/body combo after less than 10 shots fired at a rate less than 1/2 the advertised speed - That's not great. Again, as before with the lost photos on the XQD cards, you can't repeat moments and you can't get pictures you missed.

I'd like to know what I can do to not encounter these issues in front of clients, how I can change my process and understand the limitations until things get squared with the firmware.

Craig Stocks

What happened next? After rebooting was everything fine for the rest of the session or did the same problem happen repeatedly? Did you try triggering from the camera?

dougpeterson

Workshop Member

I also think it's important to post them here so we can build consensus and not just keep it between us and our dealers.

Camera: XF + 4150 + 150 2.8 + Profoto Air Remote in hotshoe + IIQ16 (not EX) + Mirror Up

Firing via C1, approx 1.25-1.5/shots per second for about 4-10 shots - Around 4 shots in, the captures stopped firing on time(would press ctrl-k and it would take a 1-2 seconds before the shot would fire), would also miss sync from the flash resulting in black frames, and then about 8 shots in, the whole system locked up - showed capture error, and require power cycling, and reconnecting to C1.

I understand the black frames - as overshooting the flash is fairly normal. But the catastrophic failure of the back/body combo after less than 10 shots fired at a rate less than 1/2 the advertised speed - That's not great. Again, as before with the lost photos on the XQD cards, you can't repeat moments and you can't get pictures you missed.

I'd like to know what I can do to not encounter these issues in front of clients, how I can change my process and understand the limitations until things get squared with the firmware.
This is with the current firmware and Capture One 12? If so I'd definitely start a case with your dealer.

onasj

This may not be an XF bug per se but it’s definitely an IQ4 bug.

Running the current 1.01 firmware, I notice that reviewing photos when zoomed in and scrolling to the corners of the photo will occasionally cause the entire screen to fill with noise (striped lines). Once it starts doing this, the bug happened 100% of the time when scrolling to the corners of the image. I was using a tech camera and the ES to capture at the time. I could blindly reverse school away from the corners to restore the image, but makes checking focus at the corners quite difficult.

This is with the current firmware and Capture One 12? If so I'd definitely start a case with your dealer.
Yeah, current firmware and C1 12 - Noted, have started the case. Thanks!

Craig Stocks
Re: IQ4 | XF Issues/Bugs

What happened next? After rebooting was everything fine for the rest of the session or did the same problem happen repeatedly? Did you try triggering from the camera?
Rebooted camera, the moment when I needed rapid shooting had passed and we continued a short while longer with the session. In looking back at the session, I did lose some of the photos in the crash. Camera is currently operating normally.

Craig Stocks

I had a similar lockup last fall when shooting quickly. XF & IQ3-100, 150 f/2.8 LS tethered to a Dell laptop with C1 11. I had to power cycle the camera and lost 10 to 20 frames.

It's especially worrisome since I frequently shoot quickly with a remote release away from the camera / computer so I wouldn't know that it locked up until it's too late.

RLB

I've had similar issues with using the IQ4 on a Tech camera and "scrolling/zooming" the preview image on the IQ4's screen where the image turns into colored noisy lines like the background of the infamous Max Headroom interception back in the 80's. Suspect its a firmware glitch. Good to know I'm not the only one having the issue.

drunkenspyder

Thanks for starting this thread. I will try to pay more attention to the glitches I encounter. I had several while shooting in the cold, and one of them related to LV zooming and scrolling.

dchew

Everyone knows about this one, but I will document it here:
The back does not accurately measure remaining battery power. I would often replace the battery when the back was flashing "empty", but when that battery was inserted into the charger it would usually read 30%, sometimes as high as 40%.

Dave

drunkenspyder

Everyone knows about this one, but I will document it here:
The back does not accurately measure remaining battery power. I would often replace the battery when the back was flashing "empty", but when that battery was inserted into the charger it would usually read 30%, sometimes as high as 40%.

Dave
No kidding, huh? I almost swore off drinking because of this one.

earburner

Hi Eric

how was your storage setup? XQD + tether or just tether?