The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Looking for advice on a new lens

bomzi

I'm interested in adding a new longer lens to my kit and I was hoping for some advice.

First a little background.
I'm an architectural photographer working with an RM3Di and a P45+ back. I have two lenses for this camera; a SK 35xl and a SK 72xl.

I also shoot quite extensively with a 4x5 for which I have 4 lenses: 75, 90, 150, 210. As of late, I find myself using the 150 and 210 much more than the wider lenses. I will look to add a 300mm lens to that kit along with something comparable for the P45+.

Can anyone make some recommendations on a longer lens?:confused:

To complicate matters, I am thinking of upgrading to the IQ1 50 back in the near future.

Your help is much appreciated!

dchew

With the p45+, I think the standard sk 120 apo digitar (non ASPH) would be a great option. The asph is better, but they are rare, expensive and probably not necessary unless you need more than a 90mm image circle.

Here is a link to the lens info. It’s from Alpa’s site, but the lens is the same.
https://www.alpa.ch/_files/120N_MTF.pdf

Note the actual focal length is 124.9. I think that is a little longer than the 300mm equivalent on your 4x5.

Dave

drunkenspyder

With the p45+, I think the standard sk 120 apo digitar (non ASPH) would be a great option. The asph is better, but they are rare, expensive and probably not necessary unless you need more than a 90mm image circle.

Here is a link to the lens info. It’s from Alpa’s site, but the lens is the same.
https://www.alpa.ch/_files/120N_MTF.pdf

Note the actual focal length is 124.9. I think that is a little longer than the 300mm equivalent on your 4x5.

Dave
I'll second that recommendation. I have the ASPH [for that big image circle], but both are excellent lenses.

Pemihan

I'll second that recommendation. I have the ASPH [for that big image circle], but both are excellent lenses.
So do I. I also have the ASPH which is stellar. Haven't tried the previous version, but am sure it is excellent.
As far as I know the 120 ASPH and the 60XL (also stellar) was the last lenses Schneider Kreuznach made before they pulled out of the tech camera market. Both rarely come up for sale on the second-hand market. Probably not many were made.

Last edited:

drunkenspyder

So do I. I also have the ASPH which is stellar. Haven't tried the previous version, but am sure it is excellent.
AS far as I know the 120 ASPH and the 60XL was the last lenses Schneider Kreuznach made before they pulled out of the tech camera market. Both rarely come up for sale on the second-hand market. Probably not many were made.
Quite true. When I made the tech plunge in 2017, my dealer had one NIB, said it was the last he would be able to get, and strongly urged me to give him my money. :p But he was right. Glad I did.

Pemihan

Quite true. When I made the tech plunge in 2017, my dealer had one NIB, said it was the last he would be able to get, and strongly urged me to give him my money. :p But he was right. Glad I did.
Same here. And you would have to pry both the 120 ASPH and 60XL from my dead cold hands!

bomzi

Thanks for the tips!
Seems like there is universal agreement on the SK 120mm lens.
I'll start looking around for it.

It appears that the Rodenstock lenses are considerably more expensive. Perhaps they are not necessary for the P45+ or the IQ1 50?

dchew

Thanks for the tips!
Seems like there is universal agreement on the SK 120mm lens.
I'll start looking around for it.

It appears that the Rodenstock lenses are considerably more expensive. Perhaps they are not necessary for the P45+ or the IQ1 50?
The one recent lens that Rodenstock has in that 110-130mm range is the 100s, and that has a small image circle so it wouldn’t be the best choice for architecture. There are other Rodi lenses originally designed for film that might be fine, but I am not all that familiar with them.

Also, Schneider’s are known for having low distortion. I suppose that won’t matter so much with longer focal lengths.

Dave

dchew

Well it seems like there were three last 60XL :)
Make that four!

For me it is the 60xl and the 150 that are "cold dead hands" lenses. I don't know why I get such good results from my 150mm. It shouldn't be that good, but I'm not complaining. The darn thing has almost no glass. 40.5mm filter threads?!

Dave

Pemihan

Make that four!

For me it is the 60xl and the 150 that are "cold dead hands" lenses. I don't know why I get such good results from my 150mm. It shouldn't be that good, but I'm not complaining. The darn thing has almost no glass. 40.5mm filter threads?!

Dave
OK, we'll make that four!

Oh yeah, I forgot the SK150 - even though it's not my most used longer lens it has it's place in the lineup! It's a great lens!

Boinger

I have been trying to find a 60xl.

I just bought a 35 xl for use with my iq4 150 it is so much smaller and lighter than my rodie 40mm.

I have been trying to look for the SK 150m or any 150mm and haven't had much luck finding one.