The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Loss of acuity with 10 stop ND

dj may

I have used 10 stop ND with different cameras and lenses. Consistently, the images are softer than with no filter or with a 5 stop filter, which is to be expected to some degree. It is not related to exposure duration. If I make a two minute exposure with no filter, it is sharp; a two minute exposure with 10 stop filter is soft. The effect is similar with a 2 second exposure.

I use Firecrest filters for both 5 and 10 stop filters.

It seems that 5 stops is about the limit after which image degradation is visible. This degradation increases with focal length, for example a 24mm lens shows less effect than a 180mm lens. I am considering giving up on 10 stop filters.

How are others managing with this effect?

Jesse

onasj

I have used 10 stop ND with different cameras and lenses. Consistently, the images are softer than with no filter or with a 5 stop filter, which is to be expected to some degree. It is not related to exposure duration. If I make a two minute exposure with no filter, it is sharp; a two minute exposure with 10 stop filter is soft. The effect is similar with a 2 second exposure.

It seems that 5 stops is about the limit after which image degradation is visible. This degradation increases with focal length, for example a 24mm lens shows less effect than a 180mm lens. I am considering giving up on 10 stop filters.

How are others managing with this effect?

Jesse
My first thought was “I bet it’s sinply a shutter speed effect” :) but assuming you’ve thoroughly ruled that out, I can suggest trying filters by Breakthrough; they are the best I’ve seen yet in terms of preserving IQ and avoiding any color cast.

Godfrey

I had this same problem with a Heliopan ND6 filter at one point. When I checked it with a strong point light source, it proved to have a very slight plano-convex shape. I returned it and ordered another one, this time from B+W: it was perfect.

I suspect it was simply a defective batch of filters, because Heliopan are generally very high quality.

G

stevenfr

I use the Breakthrough filters. Very pleased. I have the 3,6, and 10 ND and 2 and 3 graduated filters.

Photon42

Jesse
I may have a 10 stop somewhere, but cannot recall if it is 100mm or 75mm. Would be either Haida or Lee. I ping you, if I find it and it is a 100mm. Then you can try it out, if you like.

vjbelle

You sure did pique my interest. All I did was vary the light for my test [GFXs, 45mm, F9 2 minutes]. Of course camera on a tripod with 2 sec delay. I used my Big stopper against a straight shot and when viewing them at 100% pixels I can't see a difference in sharpness. Color is another matter but I've found that's easily fixed.

Regards.....

Victor

dj may

I may have a 10 stop somewhere, but cannot recall if it is 100mm or 75mm. Would be either Haida or Lee. I ping you, if I find it and it is a 100mm. Then you can try it out, if you like.
Good idea. I will be traveling from February 6-22. See you after I return.

Anyone else in the area of Zurich, who would like to participate in a 10-stop ND filter comparison?

Jesse

dj may

You sure did pique my interest. All I did was vary the light for my test [GFXs, 45mm, F9 2 minutes]. Of course camera on a tripod with 2 sec delay. I used my Big stopper against a straight shot and when viewing them at 100% pixels I can't see a difference in sharpness. Color is another matter but I've found that's easily fixed.

Regards.....

Victor
It is only detail that concerns me, not color cast. It could be that I am too critical. I see a difference between filter and no filter in details of buildings, etc., however, it may not be noticeable to others.
L1007302-Lowres-20161001.jpg

I am a little surprised that you see no difference at all.

Regards,
Jesse

danlindberg

I have tried a few different brands and in my case I have been most satisfied with Heliopan 10 stop. However, I always shoot a raw without the filter as well for the option to blend. But if the camera has been absolutely still during the exposure, then the difference is very small with or without filter also on static objects.

Photon42

It is a 100 and I did check today. No degradation in sharpness, only slight change in color temperature. Filter is a Haida 10 stop (pro?).