The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPad Pro _ Hasselblad

gmfotografie

Hi,

is it possible to shoot thetered with my X1 D and my iPad pro as both have the
usb c connection?

Which Apps are great for editing the RAW Files from my X1D.
Can I transfer the files directly from my X1D to the iPad?

Godfrey

Hi,

usb c connection?

Phocus Mobile should be compatible, but remember that it might not yet be ready for the latest 2018 iPad Pro models' (11 and 12.9 inch) USB-C port. I ran into this problem with the RYLO 360 camera: their app needs an update to use USB-C instead of a Lightning port on the iPad Pro. Easiest way to find out is to download Phocus Mobile and try it, then call Hasselblad Customer Service if it doesn't work.

You might be able to transfer files directly from X1D to iPad Pro by just plugging in the USB-C to USB-C cable that came with your iPad. This works with my Light L16 to transfer 15 Mpixel JPEG files, it transfers them into your Photos downloads album. This should also work for X1D raw files, since iOS 12 support lists this raw format. (If not, you'll need to use the USB-C to SD Card adapter and move the files that way.) Phocus Mobile might offer the option of storing files locally too, I don't know enough about it.

Affinity Photo will process X1D raw files, and Photos should be able to as well as any other image processing app that relies upon the native iOS 12 (or macOS Mojave) raw processing framework (SnapSeed and RAW Power come to mind). I use SnapSeed a lot with Leica M-D and CL raw files, it does a nice job, and so does Affinity Photo, Photos, and RAW Power. Using Affinity Photo is a lot like using Photoshop; I'm not so used to that any more with all the years of using Lightroom now. :)

G

gmfotografie

Easiest way to find out is to download Phocus Mobile and try it, then call Hasselblad Customer Service if it doesn't work.
Done !

No, the new iPad with Phocus cannot comunicate with my X1D

Thank you

Godfrey

Done !

No, the new iPad with Phocus cannot comunicate with my X1D

Thank you
I was curious, so I wrote Hasselblad Support:

Anthony (Hasselblad)
Jan 31, 21:49 CET

Hi Godfrey,

Thank you for contacting Hasselblad Customer Support.

Phocus mobile on an iPad Pro can communicate and control the X1D through wifi. The camera cannot transfer images directly to the iPad through usb-c. Apple does sell an usb-c to sd card reader for importing images to an iPad.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks
Anthony McCall

Hasselblad Technical Support Representative

Hasselblad Inc. | 1080A Garden State Road Union, NJ 07083, USA
phone 800-367-6434 x305 | Hasselblad Inc.
So you have tethered control via WiFi and transfer of image files via the USB-C to SD Card Adapter, not fully wired tethering with direct transfer of image files to the iPad rather than the camera.

G

Greg Haag

Hi,

usb c connection?

I am not sure if the X1 D communicates the same as my H6D, but I shoot tethered wirelessly to iPad pro. I am able to download only JPEG files to my iPad. I edit either with Phocus (free) or Lightroom/Photoshop.

Godfrey

My curiosity gets the better of me sometimes... :D

I pulled a few X1D ".3FR" raw files from the Hasselblad site's sample gallery and copied them to one of my Leica CL SD cards in the appropriate DCIM folder structure. I then fitted the SD card into the Apple USB-C to SD Card Adapter and plugged that into my iPad Pro 11-inch. They were recognized as raw files and Photos imported them.

• SnapSeed: Opens the files but seems to only work with the JPEG previews
  • Photos: Opens and renders the files, but again the output is always at the size of the JPEG preview
  • RAW Power: Opens and renders the files. Export as JPEG to the Files app on my iCloud directory is at original, full resolution.
  • Affinity Photo: Opens and renders the files at full resolution. Exports at full resolution.

That says to me that the situation is as I described earlier: You can tether with WiFi using Phocus Mobile, transfer to the iPad Pro via the USB-C to SD Card Adapter, and edit with RAW Power or Affinity Photo. (The results with RAW Power and Affinity Photo both looked very good, but I can't really compare them with the macOS Phocus processing since I don't have that installed.)

fun fun fun. The samples I downloaded were all made using the X1D and the new 21mm lens. Lovely setup! :)

G

gmfotografie

See the Answer - lets hope ;-)

Thank you for contacting Hasselblad Customer Support.

Phocus Mobile offers just the option of wireless connection enabling users to remotely browse, zoom and rate images. Unfortunately, it is not possible to connect the X1D to the iPad via a USB cable.
However, we have sent your feedback about the Phocus Mobile functionality to the Phocus support team.

narikin

Read this and you'll understand why you are struggling with something you shouldn't be:

iPad Pro review

"But one extremely important category of devices will definitely not work: iOS does not support external storage. You can plug as many flash drives or hard drives as you want into the iPad Pro’s USB-C port, and nothing will happen. Apple says third parties can write apps to talk to external storage, but out of the box, this $1,899 tablet simply won’t talk to a flash drive.

The one thing iOS can do with external storage devices is import photos: if you plug in a camera or a memory card from a camera, iOS 12 will automatically pop open the camera import screen and let you import photos into your camera roll.

That’s it. That is the sole way iOS 12 can address external storage. And to make matters worse, you are required to import to the system camera roll — you can’t import photos directly into an app like Lightroom CC. Apple has to be in the middle.

I use Lightroom CC all the time, and I would love to manage and edit all my photos on an iPad Pro, especially since editing with the Apple Pencil is so much fun on this display. But I have no desire to import hundreds of RAW files into my camera roll and iCloud photos account. When I brought this up, Apple very proudly pointed to a new Siri Shortcut from Adobe that imports photos from the camera roll into Lightroom and then automatically deletes them from the camera roll.

I couldn’t test that Lightroom Siri Shortcut, since it’s not yet available. But I can tell you that macro-based hacks around the limitations of an operating system are not usually included in bold visions of the future of computing, and that Siri Shortcut is a pure hack around the limitations Apple has imposed on the iPad Pro.

Oh, but it gets worse. I shoot photos in JPG+RAW, and the iOS PhotoKit API only allows apps to grab one or the other from the camera roll. So I could only import my RAW images into Lightroom, leaving the JPGs behind to clutter up my camera roll and iCloud storage. That’s untenable, so I just gave up and imported everything directly into Lightroom using my Mac, because my Mac doesn’t insist on abstracting the filesystem away into nonsense.

This little Lightroom vignette is basically the story of the iPad Pro: either you have to understand the limitations of iOS so well you can make use of these little hacks all over the place to get things done, or you just deal with it and accept that you have to go back to a real computer from time to time because it’s just easier. And in that case, you might as well just use a real computer.
"

Godfrey

LOL! Yes, yes, yes .. I'm sure anyone sophisticated enough to understand how to use iOS understands all that. And it's completely irrelevant to this discussion.

It's up to an app to access external storage at the present time on iOS. iOS up to v12.x does not support generalized external storage (file system) access. That's operating system level external file access. There are plenty of device control apps that can read their devices' storage and transfer data bidirectionally, or at least from the external device to the iOS device.

For example, the Leica FOTOs app allows me to view and download files (both JPEG and RAW) from my Leica CL (or SL, or T/TL, or M10) to my iPhone or iPad. It also allows me to control said cameras.

Another example: My Light L16 models a DCIM file structure in its internal image storage, so I can plug it into my iPad Pro with a simple USB-C to USB-C cable and Photos knows how to read Light's DCIM exposure structure and transfer the JPEG files to the iPad's internal storage. See photo below. (Photos doesn't know what the Light L16's high resolution image files are, so it can only transfer the JPEG preview files.) Photos' implementation of reading DCIM file structure on external storage devices is what allows the USB-C to SD Card Adapter to function for nearly any camera's SD cards...

What Leica FOTOs doesn't do is provide a wired connection with automated capture and transfer of the image file from camera to devices (aka, full tethering). And that's completely an app implementation issue, since external device interactions of all kinds operates at the level of the app implementation, not the OS.

I read that review of the iPad Pro 11-inch and laughed out loud. Most of the negative commentary in the review were based on the author's irritation that iOS 12 didn't do one thing ... generalized file access to external storage media ... which anyone with any brains could have told him wasn't available in iOS 12 with any of the Apple mobile devices at the present time, regardless of whether they have USB-C or Lightning hardware connections.

G

GDG and Light L16
Light L16
ISO 640 @ f/15.6 @ 1/3 sec @ 150mm

Snapshot taken in my hall mirror with L16.
Processed to a 'Good' quality JPEG in-camera.
Transferred direct to iPad Pro 11-inch with USB-C to USB-C cable.
JPEG further processed with SnapSeed and uploaded to Flickr.com.

Last edited:

jerome_m

Apple says third parties can write apps to talk to external storage
As far as I know, that is not quite true. Else we would have file browsers for the apple lightning to SD adapter, and I think that these have been pulled from the Apple store.

Theoretically, we could have camera manufacturers writing an app to talk to their cameras and download the files on the camera to the iPad. AFAIK, no camera manufacturer offers such an app via cable. iPads have supported usb for quite some time now (with the lightning to USB adapter, which exists in usb 2 and usb 3 speed).

Theoretically, we could also have Affinity photo or any other editor allowing import of pictures either via USB or the SD adapter. Writing the code is trivial, the SD card is internally mounted to the file system. Yet, we don't have that either.

I am not really sure what is the reason, but I know it is not technical.

Godfrey

I have had (and deleted) several file browsers on iOS. They're irrelevant to proper use of iOS in its current incarnation, are a security risk, and are liable to permit users to make some really serious errors and muck up their system thoroughly, causing loss of data.

Anyone can write a file browser with minimal effort, or read and write from external devices with an app. That they haven't done so really says that is not currently perceived as what their users want, since iOS is conceived of as a wireless device first and foremost.

G

jerome_m

I have had (and deleted) several file browsers on iOS. They're irrelevant to proper use of iOS in its current incarnation, are a security risk, and are liable to permit users to make some really serious errors and muck up their system thoroughly, causing loss of data.

Anyone can write a file browser with minimal effort, or read and write from external devices with an app. That they haven't done so really says that is not currently perceived as what their users want, since iOS is conceived of as a wireless device first and foremost.
I am not sure that I follow you here.

Anyone can write a complete file browser, but no-one can get it approved on the app store. Apple does not want the end users to have access to the full file system. So you cannot really argue that users do not want a full file browser, because Apple does not give them the choice.

OTOH, iOS 12 comes with a restricted file browser, called "files". I would therefore think that Apple had to give in a little bit, because users wanted some kind of file browser.

Last but not least, it would be trivial for a programmer to give access to the files on an attached SD card to the present "files" application. That would be just what photographers need to transfer their raw images to a raw editor. That would also not change the present "sandbox" design.

You also argue that the iPad is conceived of as a wireless device. Maybe, but that may also be one of the reasons why iPads and tablets in general do not sell very well.

Iskander

You CAN READ OR WRITE TO EXTERNAL MEDIA with the iPad/iPhone!

There are many ways to export/import files to external media. I often wonder, why nobody knows the trick. I use this solution for YEARS! I never used iTunes for this...

There are many good solutions, especially from RAVPower like:
https://www.amazon.de/Speicherkarte...0&sr=1-9-catcorr&keywords=Wlan+usb+hotspot+sd

Or this one:
https://www.amazon.de/RAVPower-Kart...EW1YQ4VJ920&psc=1&refRID=7YDDCKFTVEW1YQ4VJ920

I use the older model RP-WD01 for years without any problems with SD-Cards, USB-sticks and Hard-drives up to 2TB (!).
This way you can import or export many formats (wave, mp3, jpg, docs, mp4, ...) inside many apps (i.e. with open-in). You have to use a iOS filehub-app to manage your files. These are ‚FileHub Plus‘ or ‚RAV Filehub‘.

There are some videos on YouTube like:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eMVUXWm2UPo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vlByiZ23oZw

I hope, this solve your problems.

Godfrey

I am not sure that I follow you here.

Anyone can write a complete file browser, but no-one can get it approved on the app store. Apple does not want the end users to have access to the full file system. So you cannot really argue that users do not want a full file browser, because Apple does not give them the choice.

OTOH, iOS 12 comes with a restricted file browser, called "files". I would therefore think that Apple had to give in a little bit, because users wanted some kind of file browser.

Last but not least, it would be trivial for a programmer to give access to the files on an attached SD card to the present "files" application. That would be just what photographers need to transfer their raw images to a raw editor. That would also not change the present "sandbox" design.

You also argue that the iPad is conceived of as a wireless device. Maybe, but that may also be one of the reasons why iPads and tablets in general do not sell very well.
It's really not worth arguing with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. I worked for Apple for many years, and was a technical writer documenting Apple iOS development tools, processes, APIs, and development procedures for the last five years of that. You don't know what you're talking about.

G

SrMphoto

It's really not worth arguing with someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. I worked for Apple for many years, and was a technical writer documenting Apple iOS development tools, processes, APIs, and development procedures for the last five years of that. You don't know what you're talking about.

G
Apple's doc says: "For security purposes, an iOS app’s interactions with the file system are limited to the directories inside the app’s sandbox directory". Are we talking about a different type of file access?

Disclaimer: I have a lot of programming experience, but have never built iOS apps.

Godfrey

Apple's doc says: "For security purposes, an iOS app’s interactions with the file system are limited to the directories inside the app’s sandbox directory". Are we talking about a different type of file access?

Disclaimer: I have a lot of programming experience, but have never built iOS apps.
That note refers to file system access on the device. An external device requires that the app function as a driver for that device to control and read/write to it because the iOS libraries do not include generalized file system access. When data is read in from an external device, it can be stored either in the app's private file system or in the designated other locations authorized by data type after authentications from the user are provided. Apps can also access other locations (like SnapSeed can see the Photos library so it can read and write images).

Hasselblad could add the function to read files from the camera and move them to their apps, or the Photos library.. it's what Leica and others do with their camera control apps.

G

Godfrey

Terrible - I cannot transfer a 3FR File into the iPad and start working with it ..
AirDrop files from a macOS system or transfer with the USB-C to SD Card Adapter direction to the iPad Pro. Then open it with the app of your choosing from the Photos app's "imported images" folder. Affinity Photo, Lightroom, and RAW Power can all process 3FR files and output full resolution JPEG images.

G

PeterA

Maybe Apple's plan with the Ipad is to make sure that photographers edit their work properly ( delete most of it) before saving it - and maybe the expense of ICLoud/DropBox and other such 'services' is a way to ensure better editorial standards by imposing a very high user pays 'tax' on rubbish. Maybe the advent of 5G over the next few years will increase upload/download speeds to the extent that makes these cloud devices something more than the useless bling they are today. I'm hoping so - so I am investing in adding my own 'cloud storage' systems on my own networks.

It doesn't cost that much ladies and gents.:thumbup: