The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

iPad Pro _ Hasselblad

ndwgolf

Sure. But that doesn't mean anything. Android OS has nowhere near the security of iOS and is a frequent victim of virus attacks and reliability failures. It's also not consistent across devices, the way iOS is.

Apple could support the same thing ... by disabling the securities that net a near-zero successful attacks history on iOS. For the vast majority of users, this would be a bad thing.

No OS is perfect, of course. If you prefer an Android device, and it does what you want, buy one and use it ... deal with its problems. Same for an iOS device.

G
Godfrey have you tried putting Hasselblad images on your iPad Pro

Neil

jerome_m

Apple could support the same thing ... by disabling the securities that net a near-zero successful attacks history on iOS. For the vast majority of users, this would be a bad thing.
Since the same data can be accessed wirelessly, I don't see how doing exactly the same thing via a wired connection would be less secure.

No OS is perfect, of course. If you prefer an Android device, and it does what you want, buy one and use it ... deal with its problems.
I have an Android device. Viruses or lack of them has nothing to do with my preference for iOS. Besides, it is not the access of connected USB mass storage devices that is a vector for viruses.

Godfrey

Since the same data can be accessed wirelessly, I don't see how doing exactly the same thing via a wired connection would be less secure.
I have an Android device. Viruses or lack of them has nothing to do with my preference for iOS. Besides, it is not the access of connected USB mass storage devices that is a vector for viruses.
In hope of some understanding:
File system access on iOS is sandboxed ... an app's storage space is private to that app or apps that have been authorized with a security certificate by the user, following a very rigid security protocol. Everything follows the same model, system files and libraries are only accessible through the mechanism of the certificates embedded in the app development process. So access to system files, etc, that are "open, at risk to attackers" in the Android universe are not on iOS.

Access to external volumes and devices is considered a similar "at risk" situation, since what might seem casual access by an app to a general purpose, non-sandboxed file system can pull data in that are trojan horses ... carriers of little programs that can access your local data and send it to someone else.

WiFi access is specific to an app talking to a device via a high level protocol. As such it can be managed and authenticated easily, compared to general purpose file system access. They are not the same thing at all, although to a naïve user it is construed to look the same as a means to make the user experience simple and familiar.

How to make a USB-connected, general purpose, mass storage access system as secure as the built-in sandboxed file system is the challenge.

G

jerome_m

In hope of some understanding:
File system access on iOS is sandboxed ... an app's storage space is private to that app or apps that have been authorized with a security certificate by the user, following a very rigid security protocol. Everything follows the same model, system files and libraries are only accessible through the mechanism of the certificates embedded in the app development process. So access to system files, etc, that are "open, at risk to attackers" in the Android universe are not on iOS.
My understanding of the situation differs on several levels.

First: Android. The security model is quite similar. Each app is sandboxed and can only access its files. System files and libraries are not normally accessible to the end user. USB mass storage can only be accessed by special apps, similar to Apple's "files".

Second: iOS. The "files" application can be used to transfer data between diverse app's storage space. It can also access a central repository of files (iCloud) and can be linked to other apps that have their own central repositories (e.g. network devices and the one below), but in a very convoluted and counter-intuitive fashion.

How to make a USB-connected, general purpose, mass storage access system as secure as the built-in sandboxed file system is the challenge.

That is not a challenge. There are actually several implementations, like this one:

It connects to the lightning port. There it identifies and starts its app. Identification is regulated by the MFI framework: https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/

The problem is that, apparently (info is only available to large companies), Apple put the MFI program in limbo, in particular for the new iPad pro which use USB-C instead of lightning. Therefore nobody is going to invest into an adapter for mass storage on the new iPad pro, considering that no real new hardware is necessary for mass storage access and no approval is really possible.

What I am requesting (and I am not the only one), is that Apple amends the built-in "files" application so that it shows mounted mass storage along the "iCloud" external storage and that it allows the same access on that mounted storage that it already allows for iCloud. That is trivial to implement (for Apple).

Iskander

One can access a mass storage device connected via USB on Android devices which are "mobile" devices as well.
And you can do the same with an iPad, but until now wireless or with the solution in post #45 (perhaps iOS 13 is the game changer for the USB-C Port).
I recommend to have a look on my post #13. It works for many apps without any problems. Importing AND Exporting.
For me there are NO RESTRICTIONS. I use the solution #13 nearly every day.

Godfrey

What I am requesting (and I am not the only one), is that Apple amends the built-in "files" application so that it shows mounted mass storage along the "iCloud" external storage and that it allows the same access on that mounted storage that it already allows for iCloud. That is trivial to implement (for Apple).
I'd like that too, don't get me wrong. And it may happen with one of the next iOS releases.

G

Godfrey

You CAN READ OR WRITE TO EXTERNAL MEDIA with the iPad/iPhone!

There are many ways to export/import files to external media. I often wonder, why nobody knows the trick. I use this solution for YEARS! I never used iTunes for this...

There are many good solutions, especially from RAVPower like:
https://www.amazon.de/Speicherkarte...0&sr=1-9-catcorr&keywords=Wlan+usb+hotspot+sd

Or this one:
https://www.amazon.de/RAVPower-Kart...EW1YQ4VJ920&psc=1&refRID=7YDDCKFTVEW1YQ4VJ920

I use the older model RP-WD01 for years without any problems with SD-Cards, USB-sticks and Hard-drives up to 2TB (!).
This way you can import or export many formats (wave, mp3, jpg, docs, mp4, ...) inside many apps (i.e. with open-in). You have to use a iOS filehub-app to manage your files. These are ‚FileHub Plus‘ or ‚RAV Filehub‘.

There are some videos on YouTube like:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eMVUXWm2UPo
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vlByiZ23oZw

I hope, this solve your problems.
Interesting solution; it might be useful for me too. I'll look into it. I see the RAVPower products are available on Amazon.com in the USA also.

G