The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Hassy on the way?

dave.gt

Lest one forgets, there is another reason to anticipate the next iteration of the X camera from Hasselblad, just as we anticipated the changes in the V system for decades::)

From William Morris, 1832-1896:
"If you want a golden rule that will fit everybody, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

The design of the X system is, IMO, exquisite! And we should not lose sight of that fact.

Also from William Morris:
"Beauty, which is what is meant by art, using the word in its widest sense, is, I contend, no mere accident to human life, which people can take or leave as they choose, but a positive necessity of life."

Paratom

Recently I have used the x1d more often again with the idea to rather overcome the few shortcomings and focus on the strengths.
While doing that I realized that I do love 2 things: 1) Small Size and feel of the body and lenses, 2)Simplistic approach of buttons. Besides a joystick for AF there is really all I need, and the body is clean / not overloaded.

My wishes for the next generation are: Face detection, joystick for AF, (much) faster startup, shorter black out, keep form factor please.

SrMphoto

My wishlist for X1D II :
- keep 50Mp and form factor, maybe with tiltable screen or possibility to attach a tiltable viewfinder.
- faster startup
- shorter blackout
- LE Bluetooth (for remote release and transfer of GPS data)
- live histogram
- focus bracketing
- multiple exposures

mristuccia

My wishlist for X1D II is that it will come out soon, so that I can buy the X1D I at a lower price. ,)

tcdeveau

Just to throw some fuel on the rumor/conspiracy fire, just got an email from B&H stating the X1D is discontinued.

I know some shops have displayed this before and others have periodically reported it discontinued from various retailers, and the price has gone up and down, but I don't recall ever getting a notice from B&H saying it's discontinued.

Might be nothing, but then again....

DB5

Ming Thein wouldn't state for sure but it really seemed quite clear in the comments of his blog when working for Hasselblad - It's not going to be 100MP.

I agree if it isn't 100MP then it's not a good sign for Hasselblad.

DB5

It’s uncanny whenever Hasselblad announces a new camera. The responses fall into two camps. Those who actually own Hasselblad cameras are pleased and cautiously optimistic about the specifications. And those who don’t own them, would never own them, make snarky remarks about the new camera and/or those who own them. The latter publicly pretend that it’s “good to have competition “ while secretly wishing that Hasselblad would fail. This is what’s sad.
I have regularly bought Hasselblad's since the 90's — 500, 555, 203, 205, H1, H4 & H5, multiple bodies of some too.

I'm finding it very difficult not to be disappointed and saddened by Hasselblad's performance lately. I really, really hope they get their act together but I can't say I feel the prognosis is that good.

Photon42

I do not understand. Why can't we have an improved X1D mark II with 50Mp and then an X2D with 100Mp? And what do you expect more from on-chip phase detect, apart from banding ;-)? It seems to me that the focusing speed of current XC lenses is limited by lenses, not by lack of PDAF. CDAF is also typically more precise than PDAF, even if it is on-chip.
CDAF is the reason why many H lenses cannot be used in AF mode on the X1D, because they require a large firmware update probably with lots of loop-up tables, which exceeds the storage capacity of most but the recent H lenses. Ironically, the Leica S, being a PDAF system, drives all theses lenses well.

I would love a refined sensor with PDAF, proper live view support from the sensor by design, specialized chip design (ASICs like the Maestro) and - either a global shutter (unlikely) or a mechanical shutter (probably also unlikely), to design lenses with large apertures and using wonderful legacy glass. The central shutter design is an USP as much as it is a unique limiting proposition. Whether then the new sensor then has 60, 80 or 100mp, is not the most important thing for me. 50mp may just be not very clever for marketing reasons.

PedroL

I have regularly bought Hasselblad's since the 90's — 500, 555, 203, 205, H1, H4 & H5, multiple bodies of some too.

I'm finding it very difficult not to be disappointed and saddened by Hasselblad's performance lately. I really, really hope they get their act together but I can't say I feel the prognosis is that good.
I believe that all that rumor about Hasselblad is "hot air", most commonly known as BS.
B&H made a mistake, same as pricing on "special" sales. X1D is still getting its FW upgraded, it is a beautiful piece of equipment and that many photographers would wish something what camera is not offering - this is not a new problem. I am a Seitz Phototechnik distributor for about 30 years and anytime, when Seitz introduced a new panoramic gear, we/they got requests after request for something what was not included.
Hasselblad is no exceptions and no one should worry about Hasselblad future because this or that, just enjoy the beautiful X1D and keep shooting.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
You should be able to make an educated guess on the X1D Mark II . :lecture:

It will not be 100MPS .....because the Xid body will not handle the heat of a 100MP sensor (see Fuji s new 100MP camera ) . Thus it would require a new body (not happening due to cost ). The X1D processor is already too slow (as seen by the slow start up times ) ....thus new processor required (big time cost and development time ) .

Most likely scenario is an updated version of the existing 50 MP sensor ....if there were a better 50MP sensor available Fuji would already be using it .

Unless HB is planning on going out of business ....they have to be able to ship within 90 days ....so someone is Beta testing it now . (If you discontinue the X1D and can no longer order it thru B&H ...then you must have something else to sell ).

The X1D Mark II will be a mid cycle update including only modest refinements possible thru firmware upgrades . :banghead:

dave.gt

Funny... a single observation of a web page...and all kinds of prognostication follows.Perhaps someone who is concerned could call BH Photo and see what information/explanation they can offer.:)

In the meantime, no worries, I will be scouting the next image location.:ROTFL:

Dante will just have to wait.:thumbup:

drunkenspyder

You should be able to make an educated guess on the X1D Mark II . :lecture:

It will not be 100MPS .....because the Xid body will not handle the heat of a 100MP sensor (see Fuji s new 100MP camera ) . Thus it would require a new body (not happening due to cost ). The X1D processor is already too slow (as seen by the slow start up times ) ....thus new processor required (big time cost and development time ) .

Most likely scenario is an updated version of the existing 50 MP sensor ....if there were a better 50MP sensor available Fuji would already be using it .

Unless HB is planning on going out of business ....they have to be able to ship within 90 days ....so someone is Beta testing it now . (If you discontinue the X1D and can no longer order it thru B&H ...then you must have something else to sell ).

The X1D Mark II will be a mid cycle update including only modest refinements possible thru firmware upgrades . :banghead:
I wonder if a significant sensor improvement is not possible. I don't follow Sony's sensor development very closely, except for this and Phase purposes, but it seems to me that a BSI 50mpx MF sensor is not out of the realm of possibility, though not perhaps likely. Just because it's not yet in Fuji's cameras does not mean one has not been developed or couldn't be available now or in the near future. That's like saying only Fuji can optimize Sony sensors, and no one can lap Fuji in a sensor marketing cycle. The 50S has been out a while now, and if the Fuji 50R was on a timetable that prevented it from waiting on a Sony BSI 50mpx sensor, then that need not necessarily mean Hasselblad would be unable to use it. Just spitballing. Instead of out shooting as Dave suggests, but I am stuck at the desk today, though getting ready to go shoot for ten days starting Saturday. With an XF and Cambo, but no Hassy.

And not to quibble over terminology, given the X1D's age, I would see this more as a latter-cycle revision, rather than a mid-cycle update. Unless there is a significant improvement somewhere—e.g., sensor size, BSI, processing chip(s), whatever—a minor revision seems unlikely to extend the X1D's shelf life by another 2-3 years.

dave.gt

I wonder if a significant sensor improvement is not possible. I don't follow Sony's sensor development very closely, except for this and Phase purposes, but it seems to me that a BSI 50mpx MF sensor is not out of the realm of possibility, though not perhaps likely. Just because it's not yet in Fuji's cameras does not mean one has not been developed or couldn't be available now or in the near future. That's like saying only Fuji can optimize Sony sensors, and no one can lap Fuji in a sensor marketing cycle. The 50S has been out a while now, and if the Fuji 50R was on a timetable that prevented it from waiting on a Sony BSI 50mpx sensor, then that need not necessarily mean Hasselblad would be unable to use it. Just spitballing. Instead of out shooting as Dave suggests, but I am stuck at the desk today, though getting ready to go shoot for ten days starting Saturday. With an XF and Cambo, but no Hassy.

And not to quibble over terminology, given the X1D's age, I would see this more as a latter-cycle revision, rather than a mid-cycle update. Unless there is a significant improvement somewhere—e.g., sensor size, BSI, processing chip(s), whatever—a minor revision seems unlikely to extend the X1D's shelf life by another 2-3 years.
I thought about that last night, right after seeing a new Nikon D6 is on the way with I think a 60mp sensor.

Just finished a hike with the backpack. Now to have lunch and do it again!:)

Where is Ming when we need him?

marc aurel

Funny... a single observation of a web page...and all kinds of prognostication follows.Perhaps someone who is concerned could call BH Photo and see what information/explanation they can offer.:)

Of couse all this could just be smoke. But it's actually two observations on web pages: https://photorumors.com/2019/02/01/new-hasselblad-x1d-mark-ii-camera-registered-in-asia/
And after having been out photographing I sometimes enjoy speculating about such things...
Can be relaxing.

Presumably, the X1D II upgrade includes something more than what could be accomplished with firmware upgrades. If it is not the sensor, what could those hardware upgrades be? The processor?

wellfleet

I spoke with B&H today and the sales person was very definitive about it being discontinued. Not only has the silver been discontinued, but the black and the black w/45mm, too. The person I spoke with was quite surprised when I asked the question and he could find no other info as to what's going on.

drunkenspyder

I spoke with B&H today and the sales person was very definitive about it being discontinued. Not only has the silver been discontinued, but the black and the black w/45mm, too. The person I spoke with was quite surprised when I asked the question and he could find no other info as to what's going on.
I'll be damned. A search for X1D produces no new camera for sale, only used, and lenses and lens kits. Mousing over "body" options either indicates "discontinued" or "not available."