The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Hassy on the way?

dave.gt

Perhaps you will be pleasantly surprised (or disappointed!) if Hasselblad pulls it off. I can’t wait to see the reactions. :watch:
Absolutely! I am hoping for the best.:):(:(

Hasselblad has a marketing slogan that seems appropriate for my life.

Create to Inspire! HB has always inspired me not only with their tools but the beauty of their creations.

Many decades ago, as a grad student, design concepts and the importance of beauty in all things were hammered into my naturally abstract mind because all of the concrete engineering training I received in my early years had a negative impact on the way I perceived everything and my mind was resistant to change. But I was enlightened, anyway.:)

Now, simple words give me hope for the future;

Inspiration and Aspiration!

Not "Form follows function"... bleh! ...why not INSPIRE by ASPIRING to have both function and beauty? Hasselblad has done it in the past like no one else. One can only hope that the beauty of the X1D will continue in future products from Hasselblad.

Never settle for less than the best.

I am patient.:watch:

vieri

Speaking of new Hassys on the way, I just received a tracking number from Hasselblad US that the 135mm + TC that I ordered has shipped out and will be delivered to me on Monday. It’s been a long wait, but the early reports are that the lens and the TC are spectacular. Patience has its virtues.
My dealer got his first copy in yesterday and I promptly bought it. Is now waiting for me in Milan, will pick it up on my way back from my Spring Workshop tour in early April and I can't wait! :)

Create to Inspire! ...

Not "Form follows function"...
Hey Dave, totally agree on this one - actually, given the similar tech specs of both products and the similar release dates I think that the Fuji GFX 50 vs X1D are a great case study for Industrial Design school:

- Fuji: form definitely follows function, totally. Personally, as a result I find it to be one of the ugliest cameras ever produced, messy lines, messy masses, messy everything; also as a result, it offers more functionality than the X1D (or different ones);

- Hasselblad: form definitely comes first, totally. Personally, I find it one of the best designed cameras ever, together with the Leica SL: clean lines, simple, beautiful; as a result, it offers less features, making it a less "universal" cameras (no MF are, as yet).

All this, of course, has nothing to do with photo-taking per se, I am perfectly aware of that. However, I just love to open the bag and pick up my X1D, it's just a pleasure to hold and use, and to quote Dave it inspires me to do my best - as did the SL, for that matter. Add to the mix that the X1D has the best feature set for landscape photography, which is all I do, and you got a winner (or at least, I do) :)

Of course, privileging one aspect over the other results in compromises to be made; of course, beauty is in the eye of the beholder; of course, what works for someone may and will not work for someone else; and so on. The great thing is, we live in times when we have both approaches and both products available in digital MF, and we can get to choose whatever works better for each of us :thumbup:

Best regards,

Vieri

dave.gt

Hi, Vieri...

As always, I wish I could be at one of your workshops! It is so cool to see how you have switched one system for the HB system and have embraced the design aspects of the tools.:)

Now for a little observation from my little window on the world. Just my opinion and worth exactly what you paid for it!:):):) And as always, beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

One part of design is maintaining the legacy of the brand, and in design, it is always important for brand recognition. In a world where (not in absolute terms of course) cars all look the same; household appliances are nearly identical; everyone dresses more or less the same; and buildings, indeed entire towns and cities have the same look, it is the rare event of seeing something that is instantly recognizable as both beautiful and recognizable as the original design from long ago. The heritage of design is important.

These days, I use a lot of Nikons as I have for decades. Today, I did a comparison shoot of the two cameras I have in my Billingham bag: the amazing D850 and the lowly F80 (yep... small, lightweight and highly capable and does a great job shooting 35mm slide film!) They look and feel more or less the same! Heritage preserved and that wonderful ergonomic feel is still recognizable and appreciated. Except, the real heritage of Nikon rangefinders was lost long ago.. and the lovely designs. My Nikons are boring to look at. Most all DSLRs have followed the "melted plastic blob" (my inordinate description not meant to be derogatory) style since the 1980s. We have come to accept that style as the norm. And "it is what it is". Great tools! Fantastic tools! But... the competition is changing. Function is becoming available in very tiny forms such as smart phones... yes those little flat ergonomic nightmares. And, oddly, in larger forms as we see in the latest Fuji preview... There must be a sweet spot in size somewhere, I think, but maybe not. We humans are a curious lot.:)

It is probably a good time for all to question what product design means to them in daily life. Not long ago, Hasselblad was a unique camera with a rich heritage. Somehow I hope the new products will maintain the design heritage in the future.:)

What direction will Photography take in the next generation? Indeed, what direction will visual arts take in the future? Lots of uncertainty.
Technology is wonderful but it can also have negative impacts. We do live in interesting times, don't we?:grin:

RobbieAB

will that 100MP sensor along with its main-board actually fit into the X1d body?
Well... presumably the supposed 100MP sensor from the Sony road map is 44mm x 33mm. What size is the current 50MP sensor again?

Obviously, if Sony build a 100MP sensor in that size, it will fit into the X1D body. The question really is how bad will the performance impact be on the other components from having to deal with twice as many pixels? It is all about tradeoffs.

algrove

I will stick with my 50MP camera until such time as I can see getting a BSI sensor-either 50 or 100.

BSI makes huge differences after being with a Phase guy who used non-BSI 100MP and 150MP BSI. His assessment was that he believed BSI was more important in his images than the increase in MP.

hcubell

I will stick with my 50MP camera until such time as I can see getting a BSI sensor-either 50 or 100.

BSI makes huge differences after being with a Phase guy who used non-BSI 100MP and 150MP BSI. His assessment was that he believed BSI was more important in his images than the increase in MP.
You don’t have to wait long. The forthcoming Fuji GFX 100S uses the new Sony 100MP sensor which is BSI. We will never see a 50MP cropped medium format sensor that is BSI. While many photographers justifiably feel that they don’t NEED 100MP, FF cameras with 60+ MP are just around the corner and selling a $5k camera with fewer MP than a FF Sony, Nikon or Canon is a nonstarter.

While many photographers justifiably feel that they don’t NEED 100MP, FF cameras with 60+ MP are just around the corner and selling a $5k camera with fewer MP than a FF Sony, Nikon or Canon is a nonstarter.
Is there no advantage to sensor size? The 33x44 sensor is 1.7x larger than the FF sensor, meaning less magnification for the same size print. Surely the current advantage of 50MP MFD over 42MP FF is more than a few extra megapixels.

onasj

I totally agree that BSI vs FSI is more impactful than 100+ MP vs 50 MP for most applications.

jrp

Odd. I thought that Sony held back introducing bsi on full frame because it did not offer a big enough improvement relative to the cost increment.

onasj

Odd. I thought that Sony held back introducing bsi on full frame because it did not offer a big enough improvement relative to the cost increment.
I didn't hear Sony's rumored rationale, but the BSI sensor in the Sony a7riii is awesome-- comparable in my experience to that of the IQ4 except for being 2.5x smaller in area.

mristuccia

I totally agree that BSI vs FSI is more impactful than 100+ MP vs 50 MP for most applications.
MP and BSI are somehow correlated. The BSI advantages become less and less relevant as pixel pitch grows. if we keep the sensor size constant, this means that the less megapixels we have, the less useful BSI is.
So let's say that, camera software aside, BSI technology on a 3.76um pixel sensor helps to compensate/equate what FSI on a 5.3um pixel sensor already gives us today in terms of dynamic range.
Thus in the end the bigger advantage turns to be again the number of MP.

hcubell

Is there no advantage to sensor size? The 33x44 sensor is 1.7x larger than the FF sensor, meaning less magnification for the same size print. Surely the current advantage of 50MP MFD over 42MP FF is more than a few extra megapixels.
Yes, that’s very apparent to me when I look at the files from my A7RII with 42MP and compare them to the 50MP files from my X1D. You and I and the other photographers who hang out here know that. However, the reality in the marketplace is that megapixels sell. Moreover, the existing Sony 50mp sensor is old technology. The Fuji and Hasselblad cameras that use it are crippled in terms of performance features like AF speed, EVF blackout, and overall operational speed. Fuji has done an amazing job with the GFX cameras in wringing as much as it has out of the Sony 50 mp sensor, but they have been quite clear that a newer tech sensor is absolutely necessary to make the GFX function more like state of the art FF cameras. The newer tech cropped MF sensor from Sony is 100mp. There is no 50mp version. If Fuji is selling next Fall a GFX 100R for $5k, imagine Hasselblad trying to sell an X1D MK II with the same Sony 50 mp sensor for $7-$8k.

MP and BSI are somehow correlated. The BSI advantages become less and less relevant as pixel pitch grows. if we keep the sensor size constant, this means that the less megapixels we have, the less useful BSI is.
So let's say that, camera software aside, BSI technology on a 3.76um pixel sensor helps to compensate/equate what FSI on a 5.3um pixel sensor already gives us today in terms of dynamic range.
Thus in the end the bigger advantage turns to be again the number of MP.
If I am not mistaken, the only BSI medium format sensor is the 150MP, so it is kind of a moot point.

tcdeveau

If I am not mistaken, the only BSI medium format sensor is the 150MP, so it is kind of a moot point.
The 33x44mm 100mp IMX461 sensor in the upcoming GFX100 and what we expect to be in the next gen X1D is also BSI

datasheet here (they call it “back-illuminated or BI”)

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products_en/IS/sensor2/img/products/IMX461ALR_AQR_Flyer.pdf

Note the datasheet covers both the Monochrom version (first entry) and normal color versions (second entry)

mristuccia

As far as I know, the two new Sony BSI sensors are the IMX461 (100mpx, 55mm diagonal size, 3.76um cell size) and the IMX411 (150mpx, 66.7mm diagonal size, 3.76um cell size).