The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Hassy on the way?

jng

Just to stay sort of on topic, I have shot with the X1D twice now, and were it not for the uncertainty of the platform, would gladly swap in that camera for or in addition to my Z7. Although not a BSI sensor, the color tonality of the X1D's files come closer to the Phase than either of the FF sensors. Same with the Fuji 50S/R that I have rented. Color tonality, and file IQ are better than either the Sony or the Nikon. Again, YMMV.
This mirrors my experience with the X1D, which I've owned for just over one year. When editing files I often say to myself "ah, those lovely Hassy colors." Tonality from my IQ3100 files is similarly pleasing. Whether from the X1D or IQ3100, for lack of a better way of putting it, the files just don't fight with me when I make adjustments to color balance. For the sake of my marriage, however, I don't dare even think about touching a file from the IQ4150.

While I'm certainly interested in seeing what Hasselblad comes up with next, for now I'm very happy with the X1D as a compact alternative to the tech cam beast. It's great for travel and fits in a small Think Tank sling with room for a second lens. Hopefully they will keep the same or similar form factor as its compactness and user interface are big pluses in my book. But if and when I upgrade to the newer BSI sensor, I'll probably skip the 100 Mp 33x44 crop sensor offerings and go for the 150 MP in the larger 54x40 format. By then I'll probably be hiding from my wife. :ROTFL:

John

tcdeveau

This mirrors my experience with the X1D, which I've owned for just over one year. When editing files I often say to myself "ah, those lovely Hassy colors." Tonality from my IQ3100 files is similarly pleasing. Whether from the X1D or IQ3100, for lack of a better way of putting it, the files just don't fight with me when I make adjustments to color balance. For the sake of my marriage, however, I don't dare even think about touching a file from the IQ4150.

While I'm certainly interested in seeing what Hasselblad comes up with next, for now I'm very happy with the X1D as a compact alternative to the tech cam beast. It's great for travel and fits in a small Think Tank sling with room for a second lens. Hopefully they will keep the same or similar form factor as its compactness and user interface are big pluses in my book. But if and when I upgrade to the newer BSI sensor, I'll probably skip the 100 Mp 33x44 crop sensor offerings and go for the 150 MP in the larger 54x40 format. By then I'll probably be hiding from my wife. :ROTFL:

John
I’ve had my X1D going on two years now but my experience editing the files is similar. They do what I want/need on the edit board and don’t put up a fight.

Now that I’ve invested in a tech cam which I still have no back for, I think I’ve come to the same conclusion as you - skip the 33x44mm 100mp and go straight for the 150mp 54x40.

It’s going to be a costly move for me though, not only financially, but because of the spousal approval factor like you :ROTFL: My wife has been really understanding and supportive but I think a move like an IQ4 150 she’s gonna want something too, like a sibling for our 4 month old haha
-Todd

Paratom

While I really like the form and feel of the x1d I do not find the Fuji gfx 50s ugly. I have tested it for 2 weeks and it worked well for me and felt good in hand. Why not focus the discussion on the x1d instead starting another x vs y discussion.

algrove

. Fuji hadn't got legacy to bring, so they created from scratch - and I already said what I think of the result....
Vieri
Vieri
I usually agrre with much of what you say, but here you completely missed it since Fuji has a very colored MF history or legacy.

drunkenspyder

It’s going to be a costly move for me though, not only financially, but because of the spousal approval factor like you :ROTFL: My wife has been really understanding and supportive but I think a move like an IQ4 150 she’s gonna want something too, like a sibling for our 4 month old haha
-Todd
Speaking only from my own experience, that sibling is a lot more expensive than an IQ4.150. :rolleyes:

vjbelle

The existing Sony 50 mp sensor is a technological dead end, particularly for Fuji, which sees cropped MF as their version of FF.
I don't know how you can lay this somewhat negative comment in the lap of Fuji..... Hassy uses the same chip size and will continue to as its size suites, so far, the current offerings for 'Medium Format' mirrorless cameras. Maybe you could elaborate.

To me this particular chip is just another size - not cropped - of the offerings from Sony. The currently largest available size is used in the DB's and even those chips are not the 'full size' of the film they are trying to mimic. I don't think any of this matters. What really matters is the current state of technology with regards to pixel density and its relationship to DR and color fidelity - at least for me.

Victor

danlindberg

Normally, I am never at the latest technology. I don't mind since I always work my current setup to my advantage and do not look at the 'best' in the market.

Now, I am in a completely new situation, being relieved with almost all my equipment by some lowlife people.

I do have a Hasselblad X1D and XCD 90 + Alpa TC body (and accessories) + Geralds Schneider 120. That's where I am, and with a limited budget I am hesitant!

I still don't know of insurance money, but if i could, one option would be a Rodie 50 + STC (gives 10mm shift with a X1d setup) or I could gamble on that there will be a Alpa/Gfx-R adaptor that would allow SB17 lens shift!? Then I would go that route.

hcubell

I don't know how you can lay this somewhat negative comment in the lap of Fuji..... Hassy uses the same chip size and will continue to as its size suites, so far, the current offerings for 'Medium Format' mirrorless cameras. Maybe you could elaborate.

To me this particular chip is just another size - not cropped - of the offerings from Sony. The currently largest available size is used in the DB's and even those chips are not the 'full size' of the film they are trying to mimic. I don't think any of this matters. What really matters is the current state of technology with regards to pixel density and its relationship to DR and color fidelity - at least for me.

Victor
I think you misunderstood y comment. It was not meant to be critical of Fuji. What I meant was that Fuji sees its medium format systems as its answer to FF, which it has skipped over. In that respect, Fuji wants its GFX system to be fully competitive with the high end offerings from canon, Nikon and Sony when it comes to things like IBIS, AF speed, Eye AF, FPS, shutter lag, EVF blackout, etc. The Sony 50mp sensor is a big roadblock from what I have read from Fuji and Hasselblad.
There has been lots of speculation about whether the soon to be announced X1D Mark II or X2D or whatever will use the new Sony 100mp sensor in an upgraded body or use the existing Sony 50mp sensor in the same basic body style with a few refinements. I will be totally surprised if it is the latter. I can’t imagine Hasselblad investing more development funds into that 50mp sensor.

PeterA

I think you misunderstood y comment. It was not meant to be critical of Fuji. What I meant was that Fuji sees its medium format systems as its answer to FF, which it has skipped over. In that respect, Fuji wants its GFX system to be fully competitive with the high end offerings from canon, Nikon and Sony when it comes to things like IBIS, AF speed, Eye AF, FPS, shutter lag, EVF blackout, etc. The Sony 50mp sensor is a big roadblock from what I have read from Fuji and Hasselblad.
There has been lots of speculation about whether the soon to be announced X1D Mark II or X2D or whatever will use the new Sony 100mp sensor in an upgraded body or use the existing Sony 50mp sensor in the same basic body style with a few refinements. I will be totally surprised if it is the latter. I can’t imagine Hasselblad investing more development funds into that 50mp sensor.
My understanding speaking with Fuji people is that their view is that for all practical purposes their aps line of cameras are just as good if not better than 35mm so called full frame cameras in delivering both stills and video capability - hence no interest in the very crowded 35mm space - at 24 MP.

For those photographers who need superior IQ to 35mm format- Fuji believe that they satisfy this market with their 50 and soon to be announced for delivery 100MP offerings.

They do not believe that their GFX lines are an alternative to their offerings in aps - which will be superior in terms of speed of autofocus/Eye focus/FPS/shutter lag/video capture etc - this is not what their GF lines are about.

That said - for non sports/action uses - the autofocus delivery of Fuji is clearly superior to any other larger than 35mm offering on the market and there is a definite intent to provide studio shooters with a realistic hand holdability tool supported by IBIS.

Clearly for photographers who use higher MP counts on a tripod - Fuji's OIS lenses / Eyefocus and IBIS etc is irrelevant - until the same person wishes to make a snap hand held.

Fuji is offering different solutions and price points for people who don't need high megapixel counts or large bodies and lenses in 35mm space and at the same time alternative and cost effective solutions for people who need high IQ and megapixels. The benchmarking of the GF line to 35mm performance is interesting forum discussion but irrelevant to Fuji's user case based strategy.

Pete

algrove

I still don't know of insurance money, but if i could, one option would be a Rodie 50 + STC (gives 10mm shift with a X1d setup) or I could gamble on that there will be a Alpa/Gfx-R adaptor that would allow SB17 lens shift!? Then I would go that route.
Dan
Alpa just emailed me last week that they are now offering a GFX adapter. I know no specifics about it.

vjbelle

I obviously misunderstood you:banghead: I also can't imagine HB not using the new 100MP Sony sensor in the next camera offering. It will be very exciting to see all the next offerings from both Fuji and HB.

Victor

tcdeveau

Dan
Alpa just emailed me last week that they are now offering a GFX adapter. I know no specifics about it.
I could be wrong, but I think the new Alpa GFX adapter is for their macro/bellows setup and not for the Alpa 12 bodies. I was hoping to see a GFX adapter for the Alpa 12 bodies because the smaller grip size of the GFX50R might allow for the full use of SB17 lenses - something that is currently unobtainable with the X1D thanks to its large grip.

The only reason I got excited about the GFX modular prototype was I’d love to see a Hasselblad X modular setup with removable grip. Just remove the grip, add an external powerbank, and you’d have the perfect compact digital back.

It would be a shame to not have an option to use the 33x44mm 100mp BSI sensor as a digital back, given the advantages of BSI, so I hope someone gives us the option

hcubell

About a year ago, Hasselblad hired the Chief of Camera Design from Leica, Vincent Laine, who designed the Leica Q. He surely is doing more than adding a joystick to the X1D body. I would not be surprised to see new products from Hasselblad that are narrowly targeted FF cameras like the Q. Or, perhaps the V1D that was shown as a concept camera at Photokina 2016.

danlindberg

Dan
I could be wrong, but I think the new Alpa GFX adapter is for their macro/bellows setup and not for the Alpa 12 bodies. I was hoping to see a GFX adapter for the Alpa 12 bodies because the smaller grip size of the GFX50R might allow for the full use of SB17 lenses - something that is currently unobtainable with the X1D thanks to its large grip.

The only reason I got excited about the GFX modular prototype was I’d love to see a Hasselblad X modular setup with removable grip. Just remove the grip, add an external powerbank, and you’d have the perfect compact digital back.

It would be a shame to not have an option to use the 33x44mm 100mp BSI sensor as a digital back, given the advantages of BSI, so I hope someone gives us the option
I also read the GFX adaptor solely for the bellows macro solution.

I was intrigued when I saw the lack of grip on the 50R, however, I understand that the Fuji has a longer flange focal distance compared to the X1D.

vjbelle

The HB X1D has a FFD of 18.14mm, the Fuji GFX has a FFD of 26.7mm. The benefit/non-benefit of this is that the HB will be able to use a few more lenses than the Fuji. This usually pertains to wides that have a shorter FFD. For instance on my Actus I can use my Schneider 60XL but with extremely limited movements. If I were using an X1D on my Actus I would be able to use that same lens with full movements.

Victor

Last edited:

vieri

Vieri
I usually agrre with much of what you say, but here you completely missed it since Fuji has a very colored MF history or legacy.
Al,

I know that very well, I owned and loved some of those too - sorry if I didn't express myself better, we were talking about design, and I am sure you'll agree that there is no "design legacy", no "design unifying elements" in all the various single-model 6xanything cameras that Fuji created. Nothing, i.e., either long-living or as iconic as the Hassy 500, Nikon F, Leica M, etc etc.

Hope this makes more sense now :) Best regards,

Vieri

Satrycon

rumor from a blog in japan during CP+

第2四半期 ハッセルブラッド
第2四半期に発表される可能性が高い

2nd quarter Hasselblad
It is likely to be released in the second quarter

fotophil

Seems very odd they would discontinue the X1D with no replacement announced.
Even if there were a coming 100 mp version why wouldn't they keep the 50 mp as well?
Hasselblad appears to have only discontinued the sale of new X1D bodies through Hasselblad Dealers - the Hasselblad Online Store sells new X1D Bodies at nearly $9000 and show no inventlory of refurb units. The used X1D Market has increased with B & H now offering used bodies for well over their previous new price - similar situation at Ebay - crazy market!

drunkenspyder

Hasselblad appears to have only discontinued the sale of new X1D bodies through Hasselblad Dealers - the Hasselblad Online Store sells new X1D Bodies at nearly $9000 and show no inventlory of refurb units. The used X1D Market has increased with B & H now offering used bodies for well over their previous new price - similar situation at Ebay - crazy market!
I noticed that too the other day while visiting the Hassy US site. I was able to put one in my cart and attempt to purchase it. I have no idea what the delivery time would be, as I intentionally used an incorrect security code on my CC. In addition to reestablishing the price floor for the new model, it does beg the strategic question.

fotophil

Although I didn't expect a firesale on X1D Bodies, I hoped to be able to pickup a new, late production date X1D Body at the old B&H Street Price as a spare. I guess now I will be "forced" into buying a X2D at $10K (?) when it becomes available. I would not want a refurb X1d unless it had a full 1 year factory warranty instead f their usual 6 month refurb warranty. I
guess Hasselblad was clever in forcing the prices up on the X1D before announcement of the the replacement.

Last edited: