The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Hassy on the way?

robmac

Second that re: MPB.

Bought an HC lens from them and other than someone mistakenly entering country code CI (Cook Islands) on Fedex shipping docs vs. CA (Canada) resulting in my lens taking a vacation to Hawaii before it was caught, lens was exactly, if not better than described.

They made good on the delay resulting from their mistake. Would buy from again.

fotophil

My concern is getting stuck with a used X1D from an early production run that hasn't had the bugs worked out. The Hasselblad Service Center is probably the only place that could handle the installation of replacement parts so an offical Hasselblad warranty should work O:K as long as they agree to fix the problem rather than ignoring it by saying there is no problem. In contrast used X1D cameras from dealers or private sales may not have access to the Hasselblad Warranty Coverage.

hcubell

My concern is getting stuck with a used X1D from an early production run that hasn't had the bugs worked out. The Hasselblad Service Center is probably the only place that could handle the installation of replacement parts so an offical Hasselblad warranty should work O:K as long as they agree to fix the problem rather than ignoring it by saying there is no problem. In contrast used X1D cameras from dealers or private sales may not have access to the Hasselblad Warranty Coverage.
I think I read somewhere that Hasselblad will sell you an extended warranty, even if you aren’t the original owner.

Boinger

That is why I bought mine new and took the 3 year included warranty offered by hasselblad instead of buying used and getting no warranty. They didn't have the best track record at the time. I still have little quirks with mine here and there

I think I read somewhere that Hasselblad will sell you an extended warranty, even if you aren’t the original owner.
They do but it only covers the original warranty term it doesn't extend it and it is stupid expensive.

afriedrich

That is why I bought mine new and took the 3 year included warranty offered by hasselblad instead of buying used and getting no warranty. They didn't have the best track record at the time. I still have little quirks with mine here and there

They do but it only covers the original warranty term it doesn't extend it and it is stupid expensive.

It depends, I just bought a new and unused old-stock X1D 4116 kit from a dealer for 8650€, who sold it as second hand as he seems to have bought it himself from an insolvent dealer. To me it looks like the set is from late 2016 / early 2017.
However Hasselblad did honour my warranty request. Not the full 24 or 36 month extended warranty, but still 18 month, till 09/2020. I emailed their customer service the second-hand invoice and they accepted it. Even sending me the GPS unit und a new hand-strap for free... So far I am very happy with the X1D :)

JohnBrew

I believe the Hasselblad camera division is done. You have to go back a few years, but there have been many signs...
There used to be a Hasselblad rep who posted here and he guaranteed there would be a new CFV-50c.
Ming Thein was hired as a consultant with much press and ceremony. One year passes and he is gone and not many details revealed.
Eric Peterson leaves after 18 years.
Absolutely no press releases from Hasselblad about anything new on the horizon.
Of course these could be normal things that happen in conducting business. And then again Hasselblad could have learned a thing or two about premature announcements.
I hope i’m wrong. It will be a sad day when you no longer have an option to buy a new Hasselblad.

biglouis

I believe the Hasselblad camera division is done. You have to go back a few years, but there have been many signs...
There used to be a Hasselblad rep who posted here and he guaranteed there would be a new CFV-50c.
Ming Thein was hired as a consultant with much press and ceremony. One year passes and he is gone and not many details revealed.
Of course these could be normal things that happen in conducting business.
I hope i’m wrong. It will be a sad day when you no longer have an option to buy a new Hasselblad.
That would be sad. It has always been my dream to own a CFV-50C and use it with a SWC and 503. To me that would be height of photography combining the best of analogue and digital. I'm still buying lottery tickets in the hope of. In the meantime I'm soldiering on with my GFX system...

Paratom

Of course these could be normal things that happen in conducting business. And then again Hasselblad could have learned a thing or two about premature announcements.
Just because 2 people are not working any more for Hasselblad and a new camera has not been announced yet the brand is dead? To me this sound like a lot of speculation. I admit that it has been kind of quiet but why expect the worst case scenario ?

vieri

Just because 2 people are not working any more for Hasselblad and a new camera has not been announced yet the brand is dead? To me this sound like a lot of speculation. I admit that it has been kind of quiet but why expect the worst case scenario ?
Indeed. A quick look at their social media accounts would show you that they are extremely active, which is not something I would expect from a dying manufacturer.

About new cameras, the successor to the X1D has been registered with the Bluetooth consortium already and will be announced at some point, I guess. I wouldn't imagine Hasselblad would register a new camera with the Bluetooth guys just for fun ;)

Plus, it seems to me that complaining both about early announcements not followed by prompt delivery and complaining about lack of announcements (likely a strategy to avoid the former), and assuming the death of a company from such signs, sounds like a "whatever they do, they'll do wrong" approach to me... :)

In short, I think that the reports of Hasselblad's death have been greatly exaggerated :)

Best regards,

Vieri

tcdeveau

I don't quite understand the "because they've had little to no PR, they must be done" logic, and personnel changes also I don't think should be a sign of impending doom.

Here's a recent interview with a Hasselblad rep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydi...2r4x-m5yLPVX3-czbgVnYNpJ9ApHRh2f1qJseG40EWoak

FWIW the take home from the interview if i remember correctly is that they're moving to a "announce when ready to ship" model, and that the X-system isn't discontinued otherwise why would they release new lenses and accessories.

bab

I don't quite understand the "because they've had little to no PR, they must be done" logic, and personnel changes also I don't think should be a sign of impending doom.

Here's a recent interview with a Hasselblad rep:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydi...2r4x-m5yLPVX3-czbgVnYNpJ9ApHRh2f1qJseG40EWoak

FWIW the take home from the interview if i remember correctly is that they're moving to a "announce when ready to ship" model, and that the X-system isn't discontinued otherwise why would they release new lenses and accessories.
The sales people from Hasselblad know nothing more than comforting whispers from management telling them great things are coming. Hasselblad has relived most sales people or most of their sales people have quit.
The majority Hasselblads Youtube content is now two years old. Hasselblad or should I say Alpa announced ( initially was weeks from production and delivery) a cage for H6D with Leica cinema lens that was 8 months ago now as of today it’s still not definite as to delivery....power supply, firmware, heat, storage and who knows what else issues.
No other mainstream camera company functions in this way glitches yes but horizon products get released or killed.
As for stocking dealers with the exception of a few key accounts I would be surprised to find any inventory.
As one who regularly uses Phocus to preprocess my raws I can contest it’s a very very slow program that is in need of much time and money.
800 images just took me three days to import, browse, adjust and export as 16bit TIFFs.
As for new product launches I was told that I would be shocked and not to give up, especially with my H6D longevity.

Fingers crossed seams like Hasselblad is on life support but I wouldn’t know one way or the other I’m just trying to wear my camera out!

dave.gt

Wasn't the X1D debut announcement by Hasselblad in June? If so, we don't have long to wait, I would think, for the new replacement whether it is a Mk. II or some other model name.

In the meantime, the advice above is good:

"Do your best to wear your present camera out!"
:thumbs:

sog1927

My completely uninformed and purely speculative response is that they probably planned to announce the Mark II at the (now cancelled) May Photokina - and they very well might stick to that schedule. Soon enough, we'll know. The X1D certainly isn't a perfect camera, but I'm pretty happy with it.

Satrycon

well the 2nd quarter has started so perhaps May or June?

"rumor from a blog in japan during CP+

第2四半期 ハッセルブラッド
第2四半期に発表される可能性が高い

2nd quarter Hasselblad
It is likely to be released in the second quarter "