The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Hassy on the way?

pegelli

I am afraid you just don’t get it. You are so inured to the endless and ultimately destructive speculation about the demise of Hasselblad as a going concern and how nobody in his right mind should buy a camera from them that you can’t tell how fundamentally different that is from personal opinions about the design of a camera body and the people who are responsible for it. What I personally think about the design of the Fuji GFX 100S and the people at Fuji who designed it will have ZERO effect on the overall perception of Fuji as a viable enterprise that people can feel confident about buying cameras from.
I'm afraid you are the one who's not getting it. Opinions about a company, design and form of a piece of equipment are fine even though I never will say something strong about that since it's like any personal opinion and only valuable for the person stating this opinion. What I find disturbing and bad form is insulting and making disparaging comments the people designing or making these products. Apparently your standard is different, making comments about Hasselblad as a company upset you and you're fine offending the people behind Fuji. Obiously that's your choice and if I don't convince you so be it, but it just makes me chuckle every time I see your posts complaining about people making comments about the future of Hasselblad that you don't agree with.

hcubell

I'm afraid you are the one who's not getting it. Opinions about a company, design and form of a piece of equipment are fine even though I never will say something strong about that since it's like any personal opinion and only valuable for the person stating this opinion. What I find disturbing and bad form is insulting and making disparaging comments the people designing or making these products. Apparently your standard is different, making comments about Hasselblad as a company upset you and you're fine offending the people behind Fuji. Obiously that's your choice and if I don't convince you so be it, but it just makes me chuckle every time I see your posts complaining about people making comments about the future of Hasselblad that you don't agree with.
I think the our differences here reflect a cultural divide between us about what is fair game. I am concerned with the relentless propagation of FUD about a small, boutique manufacturer of cameras in a niche market, which threatens its very survival. You object to my criticism of the design of a camera and the people who designed it at a major, multinational corporation as "insulting." Ok, over and out.

JK12

Their silence does nothing to help their situation would be one of the major takeaways from this thread. They could simply say something about their status. I’ve actually had a couple of terrible experiences with them as a customer, but in both cases some reasonable communication would have gone a long way. I haven’t owned an x1d because of those experiences, but without a doubt it is the most beautifully designed (aesthetically at least) camera out there, in all formats, in my opinion. The menu design is also quite simple and intuitive. The whole thing with these fluctuating prices is quite strange and it being “discontinued” as opposed to just “out of stock”/“more on the way” is as well. It’s no wonder this thread goes on and on... I enjoy reading the debates though- without them these forums would be lacking a large chunk of what makes them fun to read and participate in.

pegelli

You object to my criticism of the design of a camera and the people who designed it at a major, multinational corporation as "insulting." Ok, over and out.
You got it partly right. Your criticism of the design of the camera is no problem for me, making exaggerated disparaging comments about the people who designed a camera you don't like is not OK for me. Doesn't matter if they work for a boutique company or multinational corporation. Will now follow your last remark :)

TheDude

Some people on this forum have been predicting the imminent demise of Hasselblad for years. Remember all the Lunar postings. Personally, until there is really something new, I think we should put this thread to rest and move on.
Discussion turned somewhat personal about, it seems, much ado about nothing.

Very interested in a new CFV-50c (MarkII) digital back. Anyone knowing anything?

sog1927

I am concerned with the relentless propagation of FUD about a small, boutique manufacturer of cameras in a niche market, which threatens its very survival. You object to my criticism of the design of a camera and the people who designed it at a major, multinational corporation as "insulting."
I've stayed out of this little slugfest (mostly), but I share Howard's concern here. Wild, uninformed speculation about the financial status of a small company can do a lot of damage. Criticizing the aesthetics of the GFX isn't going to put a corporate behemoth like Fuji out of business. Spreading rumors about Hasselblad's financial condition (which *nobody* who isn't under NDA actually knows anything about) is an entirely different matter. I'd like to keep them both around, thank you very much.

As a customer, do I wish Hasselblad would be a bit more transparent? Sure - but I've worked for small, privately-held companies before and I know that public relations can often be an afterthought in such enterprises.

pegelli

Wild, uninformed speculation about the financial status of a small company can do a lot of damage.
I've read through the entire thread again and couldn't find any "Wild, uninformed speculation about the financial status of Hasselblad" other than a few loose remarks that they are "done for" and "in a mess" which were countered by several good arguments in a relatively polite discussion.

Aren't all these complaints about people who bear ill feelings for Hasselblad by spreading FUD and dangerous financial information a bit overstated? Most people here on GetDPI seem to be pretty well behaved.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Its absolutely about Fear Uncertainy and Doubt (FUD) ..thats the whole point . HB is a big question market . Talk to any HB dealer and they are not happy ..many were stung with the discounts B&H had while they were holding inventory . Now we see frequent sightings of “discontinued “ .

Competition looks very very strong ...well capitalized ,supported by the company CEO , very successful products ...and under pricing HB by a lot .

No signs of life of the next generation of the X1D ?

It doesn t mean HB is going out of business ...you are correct ..who knows how DPI views the investment .

What we should easily agree upon is that HB has a huge challenge to stay competitive ..even a niche . And that could be a factor in on going support .

When HB stays silent on the next generation this long into the product cycle .....it adds FUD to the value proposition . So a thread thats about the next generation should very well consider .....will there be a next generation ?

If you wait for perfect information on most financial decisions you will be late . :banghead:

How great would it have been if Fuji would have acquired HB and put there financial and technical skills behind them instead of crushing them in the market ?

I don't think it is so much about fear, uncertainty, and doubt, as it is about a fundamental lack of patience. What's the rush?

mristuccia

I hope you don't mind if I say that speculation and rumours only add a very annoying and useless background noise to the world, a noise that lowers the SNR of our livings, a noise that neither C1 nor LR can remove with a simple touch of a slider. :)

I would kindly suggest: let's stick to the facts, when the facts happen. If they don't happen, they simply don't exist.

Either way all will be good, clean and silent in the universe, so that we can keep focusing on the moon rather than on the finger. :)

Last edited:

Abstraction

I've read through the entire thread again and couldn't find any "Wild, uninformed speculation about the financial status of Hasselblad" other than a few loose remarks that they are "done for" and "in a mess" which were countered by several good arguments in a relatively polite discussion.

Aren't all these complaints about people who bear ill feelings for Hasselblad by spreading FUD and dangerous financial information a bit overstated? Most people here on GetDPI seem to be pretty well behaved.
It seems that Howard is suffering from MPDS (My Poop Don't Stink) syndrome.

I also don't get this whole bit about trying to shut people up who may be unhappy with a manufacturer or who are simply musing about their status given the little information that's out there and the uncertainty that it creates. In as far as "doing damage" to a boutique manufacturer is concerned (a ridiculous notion to begin with), HB is no longer a boutique manufacturer. It's a subsidiary of DJI, a conglomerate, a behemoth as big, if not bigger than Fuji. So, if we're to speculate about one behemoth, we may as well speculate about another.

B L

I think what I/we should be doing is,instead of worrying to much about any new products from Hasselblad or any other producers, we must carry on using whatever we have at present to continue making photos! And make best wishes. :)

Abstraction

I think what I/we should be doing is,instead of worrying to much about any new products from Hasselblad or any other producers, we must carry on using whatever we have at present to continue making photos! And make best wishes. :)
Sure, but if HB goes out of business, those who are heavily vested in their system will be left out in the cold. That's quite a big hit to take. Imagine your entire photographic system becoming a dead end over night. Sure, you can still take beautiful photos with it, but if anything goes wrong or if you need accessories, you're SOL. Furthermore, as the system ages, software support may become an issue. There are all kinds of ramifications connected with this, and it behooves HB (and Pentax for that matter) to keep their user base informed.

hcubell

It seems that Howard is suffering from MPDS (My Poop Don't Stink) syndrome.

I also don't get this whole bit about trying to shut people up who may be unhappy with a manufacturer or who are simply musing about their status given the little information that's out there and the uncertainty that it creates. In as far as "doing damage" to a boutique manufacturer is concerned (a ridiculous notion to begin with), HB is no longer a boutique manufacturer. It's a subsidiary of DJI, a conglomerate, a behemoth as big, if not bigger than Fuji. So, if we're to speculate about one behemoth, we may as well speculate about another.
No, Howard is suffering from a lack of patience with people who have ZERO real interest in a product and a company, who have nothing better to do than engage in idle speculation and FUD for the sheer amusement of running down a company with a small group of dedicated employees who are trying their best to produce products that meet the needs of a segment of photographers in a niche market. Or with people who call themselves Phase making infantile comments about the Lunar. That’s all. The title of the thread is about a new Hasselblad being on the way. Somehow, these threads always end up being hijacked by posters who want to turn it into a vendetta against Hasselblad. If that’s your interest, there is a perfect place for you. The DP Review Medium Format Forum. Lots of like minded people there who create a toxic atmosphere. I saw much of the same petty sniping and jealousy here when Phase One came out with the IQ4 150. It would be a very sad state of affairs in my view if Phase and Hasselblad were to disappear and all we were left with is Fuji.
Now, as for Mr. Dunham, I have one question. If Hasselblad had announced three months ago with great fanfare that it would be coming out with a new X2D with the Sony 100MP sensor and a bunch of other improvements in a body with the same form factor as the X1D, would you then be in line as a buyer? Not a chance! Yet, you regularly offer negative comments in almost any thread having anything to do with Hasselblad and the X1D, contributing to a very toxic atmosphere. (I forget what it is, but there is a name for this.) It’s just bizarre to me. Hanging out in forums and threads involving products you have no actual interest in and making a steady stream of negative comments.

hcubell

Sure, but if HB goes out of business, those who are heavily vested in their system will be left out in the cold. That's quite a big hit to take. Imagine your entire photographic system becoming a dead end over night. Sure, you can still take beautiful photos with it, but if anything goes wrong or if you need accessories, you're SOL. Furthermore, as the system ages, software support may become an issue. There are all kinds of ramifications connected with this, and it behooves HB (and Pentax for that matter) to keep their user base informed.
I appreciate your concern about the long term viability of my investment, but I really don’t need your advice. I don’t buy cameras as “investments” and my system is essentially complete today. It is incredibly capable of producing wonderful images. If at some point down the road I can no longer get my camera or lenses serviced, which is unlikely, I will move on to another system. I already yhave three others sitting on a shelf.

Stan Lawrence

I appreciate your concern about the long term viability of my investment, but I really don’t need your advice. I don’t buy cameras as “investments” and my system is essentially complete today. It is incredibly capable of producing wonderful images. If at some point down the road I can no longer get my camera or lenses serviced, which is unlikely, I will move on to another system. I already yhave three others sitting on a shelf.
I agree....my system (H4D-40) paid for itself the first year....it’s been making me money ever since...it was a great investment....

pegelli

No, Howard is suffering from a lack of patience with people who have ZERO real interest in a product and a company, who have nothing better to do than engage in idle speculation and FUD for the sheer amusement of running down a company with a small group of dedicated employees who are trying their best to produce products that meet the needs of a segment of photographers in a niche market.
With all due respect I think you're overreacting, Indeed the things you mention are happening (on all brands and sensor sizes, not limited to HB or MF) but they are a small minority and the vast majority of GetDPI members is well behaved, well informed and genuinly interested in other brands even if they are not planning to buy one. If you're truly upset by this small number of posts it's still best to ignore them, starving trolls is the best way to shut them up

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Interesting perspectives on “what constitutes an investment ?” . For me its TIME and Possible Lost Opportunity . The number one thing that keeps me from having an X1D kit ..is the effort required to get everything up to the best it can be .

I know for many on this forum ...new gear represents an interesting challenge and half the fun is working thru the process . Buying and selling lenses , optimizing post processing and just getting the usability of the new gear down . I would rather be out shooting with as much energy as I can muster up .

I don t want to be out on a shoot ...fiddling with menu settings ,bitching about confusing user manuals or wondering are my new Uber Expensive lenses really sharp . Or is it just my poor technique ?

After a few hundred thousand captures with Leica M cameras ....I feel pretty good that I know how to use a rangefinder system . My M glass is as good as it gets and fits my aesthetic perfectly . LR sucks but I know it well and can be decently fast .

I was out their at introduction testing the X1D body when they still overheated . The system is just too slow for my preference when shooting street and some travel . Could I work thru the limitations in return for the significantly better image quality ...absolutely .... But I elected to WAIT for the 2nd generation to resolve the limitations .

Now as I pointed out several times ..I wondered ...would it be worth it to invest the effort and to accept some limitations until I could achieve the craft skills with the system . The symptoms are all there to conclude HB is not a thriving company ..

So given a choice (not being already invested in the X1D ) .....I will sit and wait to see how this plays out . Its not always about the money . :banghead:

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Please keep in mind that this forum has always been a place that you can come to for a good discussion about photography and photographic equipment. Keep the discussion civil or you may find yourself on a time-out.