The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Hassy on the way?

Christopher

It has the same size as the current 50MP and I’m pretty sure neither X1D or GFX System will cover a bigger sensor. It wouldn’t make sense to go that route.

hcubell

I picked up a used X1D 4116 the last week for £6999. Hasselblad has really done a good job improving the firmware since I rented a X1D 2-3 years ago, and I even like how you can use the touch screen to move the focusing point when using the EVF. Absolutely love it, and it's barely left my side for two weeks. My only regret is that since I bought it I know seem to want to buy lots of lenses :)

Here's a crazy thought: what if the X1D mkII is still 50mp and just has a faster processor and maybe a slightly different body?
Whatever you do, do NOT try the XCD 80mm f/1.9.

Whatever you do, do NOT try the XCD 80mm f/1.9.
That was indeed very tempting, but I went for the 65mm instead to try and keep the X1D kit lighter than the GFX kit. 30mm and 90 mm seems like obvious choices, but I am very very tempted by the 135 instead of the 90 for extra reach. That lens is a bit of a beast though :)

And I still want the 80 :ROTFL:

Godfrey

So...

I've been debating this a long while now. Since I bought the Leica CL ... for the niche uses of tabletop, macro, and long lens work originally ... I find it has become my 'standard camera'. I hardly use my Leica M-D anymore, I occasionally use my Light L16 (and find its real strength is the fact that it's small and light, simple for travel needs).

I've been interested in the Hasselblad X1D since it was first announced. X1D bodies in "certified pre-owned" from H or just sold second hand with little apparent use are at a reasonable price. The magic lens (for me) ... the XCD 21mm ... is now available: it provides the SWC FoV with a 39mpixel square format crop to support it. H sells a V system to X mount adapter, and the X1D firmware now allows a full electronic shutter to support them. Similarly, Novoflex has a Leica R to X1D mount adapter. I have four V system lenses and 9 R system lenses, along with macro and other bits. H now offers the other essential tool: a wired remote for the X1D.

I can fund the X1D body and the 21mm lens, the adapters, and the remote by selling my Leica M-D body and the WATE, maybe a couple of my less prized but still lovely Leica M lenses which I almost never use, and maybe tossing in a little bit of cash. I'm very tempted.

What would you do? :D

G

Thorkil

^^ despite not being in the club - GO for it Godfrey !!! (while time is not an endless thing..)
thorkil

vieri

So...

I've been debating this a long while now. Since I bought the Leica CL ... for the niche uses of tabletop, macro, and long lens work originally ... I find it has become my 'standard camera'. I hardly use my Leica M-D anymore, I occasionally use my Light L16 (and find its real strength is the fact that it's small and light, simple for travel needs).

I've been interested in the Hasselblad X1D since it was first announced. X1D bodies in "certified pre-owned" from H or just sold second hand with little apparent use are at a reasonable price. The magic lens (for me) ... the XCD 21mm ... is now available: it provides the SWC FoV with a 39mpixel square format crop to support it. H sells a V system to X mount adapter, and the X1D firmware now allows a full electronic shutter to support them. Similarly, Novoflex has a Leica R to X1D mount adapter. I have four V system lenses and 9 R system lenses, along with macro and other bits. H now offers the other essential tool: a wired remote for the X1D.

I can fund the X1D body and the 21mm lens, the adapters, and the remote by selling my Leica M-D body and the WATE, maybe a couple of my less prized but still lovely Leica M lenses which I almost never use, and maybe tossing in a little bit of cash. I'm very tempted.

G
I'd definitely go for it :) But, then again, I appreciate it that I might be biased... I just love my X1Ds! :D

Best regards,

Vieri

hcubell

So...

G
I would buy a used body and a new 21mm XCD lens from B&H and fully test the system out. If it works for you, keep them. If not, return them. I think B&H gives you a 30-day return period.

bab

You can buy one used but the news ones are out of stock even on Hasselblad store! Mpb.com has one for $5,879.00

fotophil

I thought that Sony was discontinuing their old 50MP chip in favor of the new 100MP chip. If that is the case neither Hasselblad or Fuji will be able to continue production of their current 50MP Cameras once the stockpile of 50MP chips is depleted. Perhaps Hasselblad halted production of the current X1D in order to conserve their supply of 50 MP chips for the new X1D ver2? It's all a big guessing game at this point.

Godfrey

^^ despite not being in the club - GO for it Godfrey !!! (while time is not an endless thing..)
thorkil
I'd definitely go for it :) But, then again, I appreciate it that I might be biased... I just love my X1Ds! :D

Best regards,
Vieri
I would buy a used body and a new 21mm XCD lens from B&H and fully test the system out. If it works for you, keep them. If not, return them. I think B&H gives you a 30-day return period.
All good, and in agreement with my gut. Time to put a few things up for sale ... that's where the money for any X1D purchase will come from.

Thx!

G

drunkenspyder

I was fortunate to obtain a new X1D this past month [dealer stock, looking to sell it and reasonably priced], and to shoot the 21, 30, and 45 with it, before settling on the 21 and 35. So, I stopped being a renter. Grapevine has it that we might hear something from Hassy by the end of this month, but . . . then again, we heard that last month. SO, I decided I really wanted a compact MF for upcoming trips to NZ, Chile, Africa, and Iceland, and even if we do get a new Hassy, who knows what deliveries will be like?

My thinking was that if the 'X2D' (or whatever it might be called) represents a significant improvement, then the X1D can become a backup or my partner's primary camera. She has recently started enjoying a more sophisticated camera experience, and had a blast with her own-to-use X1D at a workshop recently. I did some side-by-side shooting of the X1D/21/30 and the Phase/35/40-80 this past week in Bora Bora, and while it is difficult to compete with 150mpx in post, and I love the 40-80 as an all-purpose lens, there is of course no comparison in the field for convenience of shooting. For me, I enjoy it more than anything except the Phase. My back prefers the X1D.

But I hate Phocus.

bab

Phocus is for tethered use primarily but you can also adjust the images using Phocus to a rather nice point with some experience. Even capture 1 has its limitations. The curves adjustment in Phocus is the best only wish PS would adopt the same curves panel. The workflow from the initial raw to an exported tiff using the latest version of Phocus is comparative to a 2008 software program.

drunkenspyder

The workflow from the initial raw to an exported tiff using the latest version of Phocus is comparative to a 2008 software program.
^^^^^ This. I agree Phocus has its positive points. But the workflow is just awful. Importing images is a chore. Exporting no less so. I’m not a C1 acolyte, but I sure wish Phase would lower its Hassy shields.

bab

Phase sales reps are train to say Never Hasselblad!
As already stated Phocus is the premier tethered software really nothing comes close. Phocus allows you to dial in the capture better than most if not all but that’s where Phocus dead ends.

JohnBrew

^^^^^ This. I agree Phocus has its positive points. But the workflow is just awful. Importing images is a chore. Exporting no less so. I’m not a C1 acolyte, but I sure wish Phase would lower its Hassy shields.
Back in the days when I shot a CFV-50c back, I suffered through learning Phocus or trying to actually. Eric Peterson hosted two or three “webinars” on Phocus. You had to sign up for them. They were live and you could ask questions in real time. They were a tremendous help. You might still be able to find them with a search.

BANKER1

Back in the days when I shot a CFV-50c back, I suffered through learning Phocus or trying to actually. Eric Peterson hosted two or three “webinars” on Phocus. You had to sign up for them. They were live and you could ask questions in real time. They were a tremendous help. You might still be able to find them with a search.
You should have tried Flextight. It was the software program used with my CFV16 and was just awful, since it was developed for their scanners (and I think still is used with them). When Phocus came out, it was easy as falling off a log.

Regards,

Greg

hcubell

Phocus is for tethered use primarily but you can also adjust the images using Phocus to a rather nice point with some experience. Even capture 1 has its limitations. The curves adjustment in Phocus is the best only wish PS would adopt the same curves panel. The workflow from the initial raw to an exported tiff using the latest version of Phocus is comparative to a 2008 software program.
For anyone comfortable with LR or Capture One, Phocus should be quite easy to learn. 3 hours with some Youtube videos should do it. There just isn't much there to learn. It has pretty basic capabilities. The Highlight Recovery slider and the Shadow Recovery slider have been significantly improved in the last year or two. These sliders were useless before, but quite ok now. I am not a high volume user in terms of the number of images that I end up working on and preparing for print. I use the LR Library as my DAM, and process some images in LR, and often try to process it in Phocus as well as the color out of Phocus is just excellent. In both cases, I always export TIFFs to PS to sharpen, clean up and fine tune the local adjustments.
I am curious why you like the curves panel in Phocus so much. I find it awkward when it comes to moving around points.

bab

For anyone comfortable with LR or Capture One, Phocus should be quite easy to learn. 3 hours with some Youtube videos should do it. There just isn't much there to learn. It has pretty basic capabilities. The Highlight Recovery slider and the Shadow Recovery slider have been significantly improved in the last year or two. These sliders were useless before, but quite ok now. I am not a high volume user in terms of the number of images that I end up working on and preparing for print. I use the LR Library as my DAM, and process some images in LR, and often try to process it in Phocus as well as the color out of Phocus is just excellent. In both cases, I always export TIFFs to PS to sharpen, clean up and fine tune the local adjustments.
I am curious why you like the curves panel in Phocus so much. I find it awkward when it comes to moving around points.
Simply because the curve never goes FLAT! This gives you the pull without clipping and to my knowledge no other RAW editing program can. You can also pull down the lights and it doesn't flatten out the image.

Agree not much to learn except for the color adjustments by specific color in layers and the possibilities working in B&W by channels especially the green channel. As for production work bringing in say 800 images, quick edit and export to tiffs is a long long process.