The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Hassy on the way?

hcubell

Simply because the curve never goes FLAT! This gives you the pull without clipping and to my knowledge no other RAW editing program can. You can also pull down the lights and it doesn't flatten out the image.

Agree not much to learn except for the color adjustments by specific color in layers and the possibilities working in B&W by channels especially the green channel. As for production work bringing in say 800 images, quick edit and export to tiffs is a long long process.
My biggest issue with Phocus is that when I scroll through the thumbnails in the browser, the program constantly hangs up and the beach ball spins madly. I don’t know how anyone can use it in a production environment. This is with a 2013 Mac Pro, 64GB of RAM and two reasonably high end graphics cards.

Boinger

My biggest issue with Phocus is that when I scroll through the thumbnails in the browser, the program constantly hangs up and the beach ball spins madly. I don’t know how anyone can use it in a production environment. This is with a 2013 Mac Pro, 64GB of RAM and two reasonably high end graphics cards.
Likely your Cpu or HD is the bottleneck.

Do you know how to check your monitored resources? See what is getting capped out when you are scrolling.

from 2013 ssd's weren't that common so I think if you don't have an SSD using one for your photo editing drive will do wonders for you.

tcdeveau

Have you talked to Hasselblad support about it? I also had a 2013 Mac Pro w/64gb RAM and dual D700s and didn’t have that issue, although I sold it recently and have moved to a late 2018 MBP i9 with 32gb RAM (Phocus performance is perfectly fine on the late 2018 MBP).

Phocus, for my needs, is....fine. I just use it as a raw converter, export as TIF, and finish in LR/PS. Don’t love it, don’t hate it, but I also don’t rely on it for much more than initial level adjustments, curves, and LCC (if needed).

tcdeveau

Do you know how to check your monitored resources? See what is getting capped out when you are scrolling.

from 2013 ssd's weren't that common so I think if you don't have an SSD using one for your photo editing drive will do wonders for you.
SSDs were standard on the 2013 Mac pros. I got good use out of mine in the 5 years I had mine, but In my opinion, it’s a dated machine at this point. No hardware updates since December 2013 to that line is a lifetime in the world of computers.

hcubell

I have the Phocus app on my SSD main hard drive. However, the files I am accessing are on a regular external hard drive. Moreover, some of the files in that folder are large 16 bit TIFFs with many layers. Possibly Phocus is having difficulty dealing with them.

Boinger

I have the Phocus app on my SSD main hard drive. However, the files I am accessing are on a regular external hard drive. Moreover, some of the files in that folder are large 16 bit TIFFs with many layers. Possibly Phocus is having difficulty dealing with them.
Well that sounds like your problem. You have to keep in mind the read speed of the drive, and traditional internal HD's are rather slow. By using an external HD you are really torturing yourself.

So you are probably trying to load several gigs at a time.

Also phocus as far as I know doesn't build a catalog? So it is likely trying to re-render the file every time? (I could be mistaken)

tcdeveau

As Boinger mentioned, the bottleneck is probably is read speed of your external if you’re just using a “regular” drive. I’d look into upgrading the external to a RAID setup or SSD and put the files on something with faster read/write speeds.

With my 2013 Mac Pro, I had all my files on a thunderbolt 2 Promise Pegasus enclosure, which gave me read/write speeds of ~600mb/s even in a RAID 5 configuration.

hcubell

As Boinger mentioned, the bottleneck is probably is read speed of your external if you’re just using a “regular” drive. I’d look into upgrading the external to a RAID setup or SSD and put the files on something with faster read/write speeds.

With my 2013 Mac Pro, I had all my files on a thunderbolt 2 Promise Pegasus enclosure, which gave me read/write speeds of ~600mb/s even in a RAID 5 configuration.
Thanks. LR works fine with my files, but I build 1:1 reviews on import. The folder for the images that seems so slow with Phocus has several thousand Hassy and Sony raw images in it, and 200 or so large TIFFs in a subfolder. I will copy the folder onto my internal SSD and see if the performance improves much.

cerett

All of this talk about a new Hasselblad mirrorless has really (once again) peaked my interest in trading in my H6D-100c. I love my Sony A7rlll and have grown quite comfortable with a mirrorless system. I would appreciate some thoughts about this kind of swap.

ErikKaffehr

Hi,

Trading in for what?

Best regards
Erik

All of this talk about a new Hasselblad mirrorless has really (once again) peaked my interest in trading in my H6D-100c. I love my Sony A7rlll and have grown quite comfortable with a mirrorless system. I would appreciate some thoughts about this kind of swap.

fotophil

For the past several days Hasselblad has been listing CPO versions of the X1D in both silver and black. There have been a mix of Classes 2-4 with a few Class 1. All cameras are sold with a 6 month factory warranty. Sales are handled by the New Jersey Office and not the Hasselblad On-line Store.

Last edited:

bab

Keeping your 100 or going strictly mirrorless is a decision for most users based on ease of portability and comfort. The Hasse kit weight wise used to be a heavy kit with four or five lenses. Now when I’m out hiking I will only take one to two lenses. In fact lots of times I end up only using one lens for 90% of the images. My preferred kit is my 28mm and 50mm with the HTS 1.5. Or the 50 and 100 with the 1.7x. I like to shoot stacked images and/or panos. I like stacked panos also and find it rewarding when I can get a big image with killer light. No matter how great my Fuji landscape images are the only ones that knock my socks off are the ones shot with the 12mm.7B34932C-6793-44C0-BCD0-937894BADAD2.jpg

Godfrey

As I work through this X1D business in my head, over and over again, my biggest reluctance to go in for the X1D is for the same reasons that I sold the Leica SL and for the reasons that my Hasselblad 500CM tends to sit in the bag most of the time: It's a large camera, and fairly heavy, and the lenses too are large and heavy. For my life nowadays, I almost never want to carry large and heavy equipment anywhere any more ... and if I'm not going to carry it, the advantage of its potentially superior capabilities is completely lost.

So I keep thinking about it, and preparing for the involvement, at the same time. I have to admit: Most of the time I think I should really just be happy with the equipment I have and just go make photographs. :)

G

All good, and in agreement with my gut. Time to put a few things up for sale ... that's where the money for any X1D purchase will come from.

Thx!

G

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
I sold my H6D-100c and all the H lenses a few weeks ago because I wasn't using it enough to justify keeping a system that was losing value so fast. I'm happy with the X1D, so I don't miss the H every day, but I DO miss it. Those files seemed so big and luminous that you could jump in and walk around in them. And that viewfinder!
tim

hcubell

I sold my H6D-100c and all the H lenses a few weeks ago because I wasn't using it enough to justify keeping a system that was losing value so fast. I'm happy with the X1D, so I don't miss the H every day, but I DO miss it. Those files seemed so big and luminous that you could jump in and walk around in them. And that viewfinder!
tim
I agree about that viewfinder on the H body. That is the one thing I miss with my X1D as well. The next generation of EVFs will be much better, but never as good as the OVF on the H.

glennedens

The X1D Mark II has passed FCC testing, report submitted on May 27th (yesterday) - so we are getting close. Whatever the X1D Mark II is it is the same size as the current X1D. Since it passed all emission, RFI, wi-fi and Bluetooth testing it should get approved soon.

My bet on announcement date is July 19, 2019 - the 50th year anniversary of the first Moon landing mission.

I don't know which way to bet:
1. An updated body with the same 50mp Sony sensor - not the best choice since that sensor will not be manufactured for that much longer.
2. A body with the Sony 100mp sensor - Sony will make that sensor in B&W or Color, how cool would it be to have a 100mp Monochrome X1D Mark II - Sony will also make that sensor with or without the phase detect masks - so it is hard to predict what Hassy might do - physically the 100mp sensors will fit fine, however, more processing power will be required and the 100mp chip does take more power than the 50mp, but not that much more.
3. A body with another sensor in the 80mp range (non-Sony) - that sensor could use nearly the identical image chain of the current X1D (gulp)

WRT to discussions on ASICs there seems to be confusion from the armchair speculators (of course that probably includes me as well) - there are ASICs and there are custom-ASICs - it is unlikely that Hassy would have the resources ($ and time) to do a custom-ASIC, however one never knows. Fujitsu makes an ASIC that is used by many camera manufacturers (Leica S for example), and Hassy could use that ASIC - however it is not clear that would solve all of their issues. Power up time seems to have to do with boot loading the FPGA (this would go away with ASIC), boot loading the embedded processor (which I've been led to believe is an ARM running an embedded version of Linux - that is not at all verified) and then loading the color calibration tables unique to each sensor (supposedly). I'm betting that the X1D may well also be loading some lens correction tables to make the live view and EVF work properly (although they still don't apply lens correction to the RAW in camera - which is a good thing). It is not clear how much work it would be to adapt the Fujitsu image processing engine ASIC to deal with the color calibration and the lens calibration?

In any case Hassy/DJI would not be spending money on certifications if the final pre-production units were not already completed and manufacturing was near ready to start - so very exciting news! We can lay to rest the TW-100 (Tumbleweed-100) post :)

Last edited:

hcubell

Well, it appears that the arrival of the Hasselblad successor to the X1D is getting closer. https://fccid.io/2AEFA-X1D1907/Test-Report/Test-Report-4295655
There are two interesting things in that report about the approval of the X1D Mark II by the Bluetooth Org. One, the Mark II is exactly the same size as the X1D. Assuming that it uses the new Sony 100mp cropped MF sensor, it would appear that Hasselblad has managed to preserve the form factor of the X1D. This would create a very clear cut choice between the X2D and the Fuji GFX 100S. A huge beast of a camera with IBIS, or a small lightweight camera with no IBIS, with both offering the same basic image quality.
Two, the Bluetooth testing was done in China, near the HQ of DJI. That would suggest that DJI was very involved in the engineering and possibly the manufacturing of the X2D. Personally, I would view that as a positive. DJI is the repository of a vast amount of technological and manufacturing competence.
We should have some answers in the not too distant future. Should be interesting.

glennedens

Just FYI - the report is not from the Bluetooth Org, the FCC report is from an independent testing lab which looks at every aspect of emissions (the Bluetooth org filing from a while back was just for use of the BT technology and logo and it did not specifiy the size of the camera, which the FCC report does.

The 100mp chip and the 50mp chip are nearly identical in size - the pin outs are bit different since the 100mp chip (IMX461 if I'm not getting my numbers mixed up) has 8-lanes of readout versus the 2-lanes on the 50mp. I was never worried that Hasselblad could fit the 100mp chip into the existing body - the question would be heat dissapation and battery consumption for the new electronics more so than the sensor :)

Yes I forgot to mention the test lab is in China near DJI, although I've used that same lab for products manufactured in Shenzen with final assembly in US or elsewhere. So it is a safe bet that at least electronics PCBs are being made in China and most likely by a DJI supplier.

Glenn

Well, it appears that the arrival of the Hasselblad successor to the X1D is getting closer. https://fccid.io/2AEFA-X1D1907/Test-Report/Test-Report-4295655
There are two interesting things in that report about the approval of the X1D Mark II by the Bluetooth Org. One, the Mark II is exactly the same size as the X1D. Assuming that it uses the new Sony 100mp cropped MF sensor, it would appear that Hasselblad has managed to preserve the form factor of the X1D. This would create a very clear cut choice between the X2D and the Fuji GFX 100S. A huge beast of a camera with IBIS, or a small lightweight camera with no IBIS, with both offering the same basic image quality.
Two, the Bluetooth testing was done in China, near the HQ of DJI. That would suggest that DJI was very involved in the engineering and possibly the manufacturing of the X2D. Personally, I would view that as a positive. DJI is the repository of a vast amount of technological and manufacturing competence.
We should have some answers in the not too distant future. Should be interesting.