Re: New Hassy on the way?

This is great news!
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I think the lion finally started roaring !

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm genuinely happy for you guys, but what's the excitement about ?

New Hasselblad X1D Mark II camera registered. Design Description: This is a Camera with Bluetooth.
    Really now ?

Bart ...
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post

Really now ?

Before the excitement boils over, X1D mark II could still be a 50Mp camera with various improvements, including Bluetooth (finally and hopefully LE).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SrMphoto View Post
    Before the excitement boils over, X1D mark II could still be a 50Mp camera with various improvements, including Bluetooth (finally and hopefully LE).
    Why would a company "announce" the forthcoming release of a new camera by registering it with the Bluetooth industry group? Strange way to leak it. In any event, I am sure this is not just the same X1D with Bluetooth instead of WIFI.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    Why would a company "announce" the forthcoming release of a new camera by registering it with the Bluetooth industry group? Strange way to leak it. In any event, I am sure this is not just the same X1D with Bluetooth instead of WIFI.
    I do not think that Hasselblad is happy that X1D Mark II name is leaking through the Bluetooth registry. This is probably Hasselblad's first product that contains Bluetooth, maybe they made a mistake?

I am also sure that it makes no sense to add "Mark II" if you are adding Bluetooth only. Of course, I would be nice to have an increase in resolution, but my point is that "Mark II" does not automatically imply increased resolution. The only information we have is that there is an X1D Mark II camera that has Bluetooth. Everything else is left to our imagination and hopes.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

X1DII means a new camera.

Nothing says that Bluetooth is the only new feature.

Seriously, if the new camera does not have a 100 MP sensor, on sensor phase detection and 6FPS than Hasselblad is clear for RIP. Because that is what competition will deliver.

Best regards
    Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post

Really now ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My guess it will be the 100Mp version. Everything else is just a fail.

The big question might be the price. If the Fuji is 9999 is the Hasselblad similar as it won’t have IBIS or will it move another 12k

I do not think that Hasselblad is happy that X1D Mark II name is leaking through the Bluetooth registry. This is probably Hasselblad's first product that contains Bluetooth, maybe they made a mis
    I am also sure that it makes no sense to add "Mark II" if you are adding Bluetooth only. Of course, I would be nice to have an increase in resolution, but my point is that "Mark II" does not automatically imply increased resolution. The only information we have is that there is an X1D Mark II camera that has Bluetooth. Everything else is left to our imagination and hopes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is interesting that GFX owners insist that X1D mark II must have 100Mp ;-).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why? It’s the only way to get new technology. The 50MP sensor is just old and while it has great image quality it’s just at its limits when it comes to readout and more possibilities.

Post Thanks / Like

It is interesting that GFX owners insist that X1D mark II must have 100Mp ;-).
    I am a X1d owner and yes it must.

Because the 50mp chip has not been updated. It cannot do on chip phase detect AF.

That is very important.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Boinger View Post
    I am a X1d owner and yes it must.

Because the 50mp chip has not been updated. It cannot do on chip phase detect AF.

That is very important.
    I do not understand. Why can't we have an improved X1D mark II with 50Mp and then an X2D with 100Mp? And what do you expect more from on-chip phase detect, apart from banding ;-)? It seems to me that the focusing speed of current XC lenses is limited by lenses, not by lack of PDAF. CDAF is also typically more precise than PDAF, even if it is on-chip.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    My guess it will be the 100Mp version. Everything else is just a fail.

The big question might be the price. If the Fuji is 9999 is the Hasselblad similar as it won’t have IBIS or will it move another 12k
    I personally would pay MORE for an X2D-100C that does NOT have IBIS, so long as it preserves the essential form factor of the X1D and doesn’t look anything like the Fuji GFX 100S
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

There was an X1D-2 wish list thread almost as soon as the X1D came out. Should we go ahead and start an X1D-3 wish list? Kind of a sad state of affairs...

Post Thanks / Like

It’s uncanny whenever Hasselblad announces a new camera. The responses fall into two camps. Those who actually own Hasselblad cameras are pleased and cautiously optimistic about the specifications. And those who don’t own them, would never own them, make snarky remarks about the new camera and/or those who own them. The latter publicly pretend that it’s “good to have competition “ while secretly wishing that Hasselblad would fail. This is what’s sad.
    hcubell
    www.howardcubell.com
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It’s uncanny whenever Hasselblad announces a new camera. The responses fall into two camps. Those who actually own Hasselblad cameras are pleased and cautiously optimistic about the specifications. And those who don’t own them, would never own them, make snarky remarks about the new camera and/or those who own them. The latter publicly pretend that it’s “good to have competition “ while secretly wishing that Hasselblad would fail. This is what’s sad.
    That happens with any new camera coming out, irrespective of the brand and/or sensor size. I actually think it's a small, albeit very vocal, part of the internet community, but most people (and certainly most GetDPI members) are better behaved and in my opinion shouldn't be painted in this stereotype black/white or good/bad.
    Last edited by pegelli; 2nd February 2019 at 00:37.
    My Pics

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Internet forums sadly have many human characteristics and shades of dark sides as does any slice of our humanity. This forum is better than most probably because there is a good self-regulating spirit among many members. Ibhopevitcdyas tgst way.

We live in a chaotic world and need safe shelters like "any port in a storm". Thank goodness for this forum, a place where truly good human beings from all over this big blue marble enjoy and learn from each other. It is good to note our shortcomings, and hopefully polish the rough edges from time to time, which does seem to correlate with the introduction of new gear.

I personally can't wait for the next image! One day the next image I see will be from a Mark II... just bring it!!!!
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lest one forgets, there is another reason to anticipate the next iteration of the X camera from Hasselblad, just as we anticipated the changes in the V system for decades:

From William Morris, 1832-1896:
    "If you want a golden rule that will fit everybody, this is it: Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful."

The design of the X system is, IMO, exquisite! And we should not lose sight of that fact.

Also from William Morris:
    "Beauty, which is what is meant by art, using the word in its widest sense, is, I contend, no mere accident to human life, which people can take or leave as they choose, but a positive necessity of life."
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Recently I have used the x1d more often again with the idea to rather overcome the few shortcomings and focus on the strengths.
    While doing that I realized that I do love 2 things: 1) Small Size and feel of the body and lenses, 2)Simplistic approach of buttons. Besides a joystick for AF there is really all I need, and the body is clean / not overloaded.

My wishes for the next generation are: Face detection, joystick for AF, (much) faster startup, shorter black out, keep form factor please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My wishlist for X1D II :
    - keep 50Mp and form factor, maybe with tiltable screen or possibility to attach a tiltable viewfinder.
    - faster startup
    - shorter blackout
    - LE Bluetooth (for remote release and transfer of GPS data)
    - live histogram
    - focus bracketing
    - multiple exposures

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My wishlist for X1D II is that it will come out soon, so that I can buy the X1D I at a lower price. ,)
    Marco Ristuccia
    photography.marcoristuccia.com
    "Unconcerned but not indifferent."
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Just to throw some fuel on the rumor/conspiracy fire, just got an email from B&H stating the X1D is discontinued.

I know some shops have displayed this before and others have periodically reported it discontinued from various retailers, and the price has gone up and down, but I don't recall ever getting a notice from B&H saying it's discontinued.

Might be nothing, but then again....

Post Thanks / Like

Yep you are right.

Only used available.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...irrorless.html

Post Thanks / Like

Ming Thein wouldn't state for sure but it really seemed quite clear in the comments of his blog when working for Hasselblad - It's not going to be 100MP.

I agree if it isn't 100MP then it's not a good sign for Hasselblad.

Post Thanks / Like

I have regularly bought Hasselblad's since the 90's — 500, 555, 203, 205, H1, H4 & H5, multiple bodies of some too.

I'm finding it very difficult not to be disappointed and saddened by Hasselblad's performance lately. I really, really hope they get their act together but I can't say I feel the prognosis is that good.

Post Thanks / Like

I do not understand. Why can't we have an improved X1D mark II with 50Mp and then an X2D with 100Mp? And what do you expect more from on-chip phase detect, apart from banding ;-)? It seems to me that the focusing speed of current XC lenses is limited by lenses, not by lack of PDAF. CDAF is also typically more precise than PDAF, even if it is on-chip.
    CDAF is the reason why many H lenses cannot be used in AF mode on the X1D, because they require a large firmware update probably with lots of loop-up tables, which exceeds the storage capacity of most but the recent H lenses. Ironically, the Leica S, being a PDAF system, drives all theses lenses well.

I would love a refined sensor with PDAF, proper live view support from the sensor by design, specialized chip design (ASICs like the Maestro) and - either a global shutter (unlikely) or a mechanical shutter (probably also unlikely), to design lenses with large apertures and using wonderful legacy glass. The central shutter design is an USP as much as it is a unique limiting proposition. Whether then the new sensor then has 60, 80 or 100mp, is not the most important thing for me. 50mp may just be not very clever for marketing reasons.
    My Gallery
    Instagram

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DB5 View Post
    I have regularly bought Hasselblad's since the 90's — 500, 555, 203, 205, H1, H4 & H5, multiple bodies of some too.

I'm finding it very difficult not to be disappointed and saddened by Hasselblad's performance lately. I really, really hope they get their act together but I can't say I feel the prognosis is that good.
    I believe that all that rumor about Hasselblad is "hot air", most commonly known as BS.
    B&H made a mistake, same as pricing on "special" sales. X1D is still getting its FW upgraded, it is a beautiful piece of equipment and that many photographers would wish something what camera is not offering - this is not a new problem. I am a Seitz Phototechnik distributor for about 30 years and anytime, when Seitz introduced a new panoramic gear, we/they got requests after request for something what was not included.
    Hasselblad is no exceptions and no one should worry about Hasselblad future because this or that, just enjoy the beautiful X1D and keep shooting.

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to make an educated guess on the X1D Mark II .

It will not be 100MPS .....because the Xid body will not handle the heat of a 100MP sensor (see Fuji s new 100MP camera ) . Thus it would require a new body (not happening due to cost ). The X1D processor is already too slow (as seen by the slow start up times ) ....thus new processor required (big time cost and development time ) .

Most likely scenario is an updated version of the existing 50 MP sensor ....if there were a better 50MP sensor available Fuji would already be using it .

Unless HB is planning on going out of business ....they have to be able to ship within 90 days ....so someone is Beta testing it now . (If you discontinue the X1D and can no longer order it thru B&H ...then you must have something else to sell ).

The X1D Mark II will be a mid cycle update including only modest refinements possible thru firmware upgrades .

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Funny... a single observation of a web page...and all kinds of prognostication follows.Perhaps someone who is concerned could call BH Photo and see what information/explanation they can offer.

In the meantime, no worries, I will be scouting the next image location.

Dante will just have to wait.
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    You should be able to make an educated guess on the X1D Mark II .

It will not be 100MPS .....because the Xid body will not handle the heat of a 100MP sensor (see Fuji s new 100MP camera ) . Thus it would require a new body (not happening due to cost ). The X1D processor is already too slow (as seen by the slow start up times ) ....thus new processor required (big time cost and development time ) .

Most likely scenario is an updated version of the existing 50 MP sensor ....if there were a better 50MP sensor available Fuji would already be using it .

Unless HB is planning on going out of business ....they have to be able to ship within 90 days ....so someone is Beta testing it now . (If you discontinue the X1D and can no longer order it thru B&H ...then you must have something else to sell ).

The X1D Mark II will be a mid cycle update including only modest refinements possible thru firmware upgrades .
    I wonder if a significant sensor improvement is not possible. I don't follow Sony's sensor development very closely, except for this and Phase purposes, but it seems to me that a BSI 50mpx MF sensor is not out of the realm of possibility, though not perhaps likely. Just because it's not yet in Fuji's cameras does not mean one has not been developed or couldn't be available now or in the near future. That's like saying only Fuji can optimize Sony sensors, and no one can lap Fuji in a sensor marketing cycle. The 50S has been out a while now, and if the Fuji 50R was on a timetable that prevented it from waiting on a Sony BSI 50mpx sensor, then that need not necessarily mean Hasselblad would be unable to use it. Just spitballing. Instead of out shooting as Dave suggests, but I am stuck at the desk today, though getting ready to go shoot for ten days starting Saturday. With an XF and Cambo, but no Hassy.

And not to quibble over terminology, given the X1D's age, I would see this more as a latter-cycle revision, rather than a mid-cycle update. Unless there is a significant improvement somewhere—e.g., sensor size, BSI, processing chip(s), whatever—a minor revision seems unlikely to extend the X1D's shelf life by another 2-3 years.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenspyder View Post
    I wonder if a significant sensor improvement is not possible. I don't follow Sony's sensor development very closely, except for this and Phase purposes, but it seems to me that a BSI 50mpx MF sensor is not out of the realm of possibility, though not perhaps likely. Just because it's not yet in Fuji's cameras does not mean one has not been developed or couldn't be available now or in the near future. That's like saying only Fuji can optimize Sony sensors, and no one can lap Fuji in a sensor marketing cycle. The 50S has been out a while now, and if the Fuji 50R was on a timetable that prevented it from waiting on a Sony BSI 50mpx sensor, then that need not necessarily mean Hasselblad would be unable to use it. Just spitballing. Instead of out shooting as Dave suggests, but I am stuck at the desk today, though getting ready to go shoot for ten days starting Saturday. With an XF and Cambo, but no Hassy.

And not to quibble over terminology, given the X1D's age, I would see this more as a latter-cycle revision, rather than a mid-cycle update. Unless there is a significant improvement somewhere—e.g., sensor size, BSI, processing chip(s), whatever—a minor revision seems unlikely to extend the X1D's shelf life by another 2-3 years.
    I thought about that last night, right after seeing a new Nikon D6 is on the way with I think a 60mp sensor.

Just finished a hike with the backpack. Now to have lunch and do it again!

Where is Ming when we need him?
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dave.gt View Post
    Funny... a single observation of a web page...and all kinds of prognostication follows.Perhaps someone who is concerned could call BH Photo and see what information/explanation they can offer.

Of couse all this could just be smoke. But it's actually two observations on web pages: https://photorumors.com/2019/02/01/n...tered-in-asia/
    And after having been out photographing I sometimes enjoy speculating about such things...
    Can be relaxing.

Post Thanks / Like

Presumably, the X1D II upgrade includes something more than what could be accomplished with firmware upgrades. If it is not the sensor, what could those hardware upgrades be? The processor?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faberryman View Post
    Presumably, the X1D II upgrade includes something more than what could be accomplished with firmware upgrades. If it is not the sensor, what could those hardware upgrades be? The processor?
    Well, I guess we know it's getting Bluetooth.

Post Thanks / Like

I spoke with B&H today and the sales person was very definitive about it being discontinued. Not only has the silver been discontinued, but the black and the black w/45mm, too. The person I spoke with was quite surprised when I asked the question and he could find no other info as to what's going on.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wellfleet View Post
    I spoke with B&H today and the sales person was very definitive about it being discontinued. Not only has the silver been discontinued, but the black and the black w/45mm, too. The person I spoke with was quite surprised when I asked the question and he could find no other info as to what's going on.
    I'll be damned. A search for X1D produces no new camera for sale, only used, and lenses and lens kits. Mousing over "body" options either indicates "discontinued" or "not available."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'll be damned. A search for X1D produces no new camera for sale, only used, and lenses and lens kits. Mousing over "body" options either indicates "discontinued" or "not available."
    And yet, the Hasselblad online store has them in stock and Adorama has them in stock... both at the $8995 price.

Could it be that there is an announcement of the Mark II coming soon?
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And yet, the Hasselblad online store has them in stock and Adorama has them in stock... both at the $8995 price.

Could it be that there is an announcement of the Mark II coming soon?
    Maybe they even have an X1D Mark II available for purchase on the day of the announcement :-).

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe they even have an X1D Mark II available for purchase on the day of the announcement :-).
    Hopefully it will be shipping soon thereafter for those that order it. Orders for the 65, 80, and 135 XCD opened up back in September and are still not shipping in volumes (the 135 I don’t think has shipped at all yet).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is this crazy?

Adorama now has no X1D-50c cameras available!
    Since yesterday... when they were in stock.

Hmmmm...
    Best regards,
    Dave (GT)

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if a significant sensor improvement is not possible. I don't follow Sony's sensor development very closely, except for this and Phase purposes, but it seems to me that a BSI 50mpx MF sensor is not out of the realm of possibility, though not perhaps likely. Just because it's not yet in Fuji's cameras does not mean one has not been developed or couldn't be available now or in the near future. That's like saying only Fuji can optimize Sony sensors, and no one can lap Fuji in a sensor marketing cycle. The 50S has been out a while now, and if the Fuji 50R was on a timetable that prevented it from waiting on a Sony BSI 50mpx sensor, then that need not necessarily mean Hasselblad would be unable to use it.
    Amen. Nothing out of the realm of possibility that a different 50 mp sensor might be used. Maybe even especially made for Hasselblad.
    Personally, I would like to see a better EVF and more resolution on the LCD. I'm testing a Z7 right now and, color me surprised, the EVF is just fine. I like the camera but could easily wait for a better Hasselblad because I am unlikely to buy a Z7. One other item which has kept me out of the Hasselblad camp this time around is the lack of a 65, which has been promised for a while now.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    Amen. Nothing out of the realm of possibility that a different 50 mp sensor might be used. Maybe even especially made for Hasselblad.
    Personally, I would like to see a better EVF and more resolution on the LCD. I'm testing a Z7 right now and, color me surprised, the EVF is just fine. I like the camera but could easily wait for a better Hasselblad because I am unlikely to buy a Z7. One other item which has kept me out of the Hasselblad camp this time around is the lack of a 65, which has been promised for a while now.
    The EVF on the Z7 is quite good, better than I expected it to be. I enjoy using that camera very much. And as FF sensors go, it's difficult to find better. But it's FF, not MF. So . . ..

I would view live histogram as a significant enough improvement for me to add Hassy to the arsenal. I would also like better EVF/LCD, though neither was enough to keep from taking the plunge.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBrew View Post
    FYI The 65mm XCD is shipping now, they just seem to be trickling out and not shipping in volume yet. B&H even had em in stock for a brief period of time last week. I imagine they'll be popping up more as "in stock" over the next couple weeks at retailers.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this crazy?

Adorama now has no X1D-50c cameras available!
    Since yesterday... when they were in stock.

Hmmmm...
    It seems that the new X1D Cameras disappeared overnight as soon as B&H made their announcement. I guess that there will no opportunities to pickup a second X1D Body at "Fire Sale" Prices and probably no future X1D Firmware releases.
    I wonder if the new Mark 2 may be an enhanced 50MP X1D Body X1D rather than a completely new 100MP Body? Based upon Hasselblad's snail paced release rates, it may be a while for the 100MP Camera to appear! Good news is that maybe they can release some new lenses!

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

These prices are around $10000 so the X1D Price has gone full circle from initial price of $10000 to B&H Street Price of $6500 and now back to new Japan Street Price of $10000! Isn't supply and demand wonderful? Good return on our "investment" I'm thrilled!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotophil View Post
    These prices are around $10000 so the X1D Price has gone full circle from initial price of $10000 to B&H Street Price of $6500 and now back to new Japan Street Price of $10000! Isn't supply and demand wonderful? Good return on our "investment" I'm thrilled!
    Until the X1D MkII comes out at $10,000. You've got a short window to sell.