The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

TAIHE Gemini 15.6" Portable Monitor

kdphotography

Early morning coffee and I just backed this for a pretty neat external monitor. It looks like a "large screen" alternative for the Phase IQ MFDB, but I like that it has cross over applications (read: personal expense justification and Dante approved :p) for use with my phone and laptop when traveling.

Taihe Genimi 15" portable monitor, built-in battery, two choices of monitors 1080p and 4K, touchscreen, usb, hdmi, etc., -----and a choice of four colors. :D

On kickstarter, see, https://kck.st/2S3mHXR

Ken

Don Libby

I was thinking of something like this a couple days ago to add to my Surface Book II while traveling.

drunkenspyder

Early morning coffee and I just backed this for a pretty neat external monitor. It looks like a "large screen" alternative for the Phase IQ MFDB, but I like that it has cross over applications (read: personal expense justification and Dante approved :p) for use with my phone and laptop when traveling.

Taihe Genimi 15" portable monitor, built-in battery, two choices of monitors 1080p and 4K, touchscreen, usb, hdmi, etc., -----and a choice of four colors. :D

On kickstarter, see, https://kck.st/2S3mHXR

Ken
I am a sucker for Kickstarter, seriously, and the investment price is excellent. So, Ken, I blame you! I am curious about the use case others envision here. It's a 15.6" monitor, and I agree just about any screen bigger than a 5 inch diagonal would be a boost for the Phase, but do y'all envision carrying this in addition to something like a Surface [another product I like and own], when a MacBook Pro 15, or similar Wintel device already has all the screen one needs, and can tether to the Phase if desired, and only takes up the space of one device? This is not flame-bait; I am genuinely curious as to how folks see this integrating into their field work. I am primarily a MacBook Pro 13 user when I travel, through the 15 is looking increasingly compelling when working with 150mpx files. Still, I don't do any serious work anyway in the field, saving most of that until I get home. Inquiring minds want to know!

P.S. I backed it for the UHD. Damn GAS! Damn Dante! :banghead:

kdphotography

I'm looking at it mostly as an external monitor for my laptop or even Surface Pro when traveling, and maybe occasionally with the phone. Middle-aged eyes like larger screens :shocked::grin: The monitor has potential with the HMDI output on the IQ3/4 series of MFDB. I think there will be (eventually) be more capability with the IQ4 150 :D. The monitor itself is about 2 pounds, which is not bad considering its size. I don't see myself using this monitor with my MFDB out in the field all the time, but for occasional use---yes. Of course, I'm thinking more of with my Cambo kit which is pretty compact and light. Phase XF stays home or close to the truck! It's just another option, particularly for viewing, and use with other devices. I think if I were looking at tethering (C1 Pro) exclusively while on location, I would re-explore the latest Surface Pro offerings, which I am sure are more capable than my now ancient Surface Pro 2!

The Taihe offers a relatively low cost option for using an external monitor with several devices. If it works out with the IQ4, that'll be a big bonus. ;)

Ken

drunkenspyder

I'm looking at it mostly as an external monitor for my laptop or even Surface Pro when traveling, and maybe occasionally with the phone. Middle-aged eyes like larger screens :shocked::grin: The monitor has potential with the HMDI output on the IQ3/4 series of MFDB. I think there will be (eventually) be more capability with the IQ4 150 :D. The monitor itself is about 2 pounds, which is not bad considering its size. I don't see myself using this monitor with my MFDB out in the field all the time, but for occasional use---yes. Of course, I'm thinking more of with my Cambo kit which is pretty compact and light. Phase XF stays home or close to the truck! It's just another option, particularly for viewing, and use with other devices. I think if I were looking at tethering (C1 Pro) exclusively while on location, I would re-explore the latest Surface Pro offerings, which I am sure are more capable than my now ancient Surface Pro 2!

The Taihe offers a relatively low cost option for using an external monitor with several devices. If it works out with the IQ4, that'll be a big bonus. ;)

Ken
Thanks. And yes, this especially: "If it works out with the IQ4, that'll be a big bonus."

Greg

Don Libby

I work with a dual monitors while in the studio and often miss that second monitor while on the road for any length of time. We've got a couple short trips coming up Hawaii and Tahoe however we'll be spending slightly longer than 5-weeks in the Jackson Hole area this fall and a second monitor might come in handy. I keep saying no, wait until after I get the 100-200 but the other side of me says go for it.

drunkenspyder

I work with a dual monitors while in the studio and often miss that second monitor while on the road for any length of time. We've got a couple short trips coming up Hawaii and Tahoe however we'll be spending slightly longer than 5-weeks in the Jackson Hole area this fall and a second monitor might come in handy. I keep saying no, wait until after I get the 100-200 but the other side of me says go for it.
Hey Don, yes, I can see the use case on an extended trip especially.

I looked into it as well. The things that worry me are the brightness is capped at 300 nits (mbp is 500 for comparison) and there are no mounting options. This would make for limited use in the field. I doubt there will be suitable accessories made that would make it field ready.

Being said - at that price point - not bad.

kdphotography

I learned quite a bit about mounting options with the Surface Pro on location, but I think the size of this screen at 15.6" makes mounting much more challenging, particularly if trying to keep things compact when on location. The form factor of the Surface Pro as a "tablet" made things easier whereas a laptop and some of the available options just start getting bulkier and heavier. Consequently, I'm not considering mounting options aside from the easy ones in studio, and so on location I'll be using the John Ngai solution---nay, now known as the Ngai tripod bag/shelf :rolleyes: :D see, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/707201-REG/Vanguard_SB_100_SB_100_Stone_Bag.html

And actually I picked one of these up thinking it would keep filters and other bits more handy.

ken

jng

I'm not considering mounting options aside from the easy ones in studio, and so on location I'll be using the John Ngai solution---nay, now known as the Ngai tripod bag/shelf :rolleyes: :D see, https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/707201-REG/Vanguard_SB_100_SB_100_Stone_Bag.html

And actually I picked one of these up thinking it would keep filters and other bits more handy.

ken
Ken,

What, you're passing up the opportunity to refresh the Doo/Libby CL*T clamp? https://kendoophotography.wordpress...-with-the-surface-pro-evolving-clamp-choices/ :ROTFL: Think of the co-marketing opportunities!

And hey, don't knock my tripod hammock (actually h/t John Lytton for introducing me to this little gadget) - in addition to being a convenient place to hold things it has been known to catch the odd ND filter that managed to slip through my fingertips!

John

GGB BTS 12_16_2018.jpg

Don Libby

The weight of the monitor is said to be 2-pounds which might be a reach however I think we might be able to come up with a solution which will require a metal plate, gorilla tape, RRS QR plate and a small ballhead.

Not that I've thinking about this....

kdphotography

I actually think that the last SP2 clamping solution using rare earth magnets would be strong enough to hold this external monitor. The problem is the potential for magnetic interference with the screen, particularly when using touch screen functions. The case I used with the SP2 I found to be necessary to help shield from magnetic interference, and it worked, as well as providing a strong base for the metal plates to adhere to. We could "test" if magnetic interference occurs, but I think with the size of this external monitor, it may just be easiest to adopt the "Two-John's (John Lytton/John Ngai) tripod hammock."

ken

jng

The "Two-John Tripod Hammock" has been field tested extensively and confirmed to produce no magnetic interference. :thumbup: It also has the advantages of being lightweight, adding essentially no additional bulk and being multi-functional (very convenient for keeping those ND filters close at hand). And it's cheap. Oops, don't tell Dante! :ROTFL:

John

kdphotography

The Surface Pro pretty much stands alone as a tethering solution able to run a full version of C1 Pro.

I know venturing away from Apple to buy a Windows product can be quite scary and uncouth :scry: ...but if Graham Welland can do it, you can too, Christopher.

C'mon in---the water's fine. :thumbup::ROTFL:

ken