The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Progress on tech cam/Copal shutter cable for IQ4?

onasj

Can someone provide an update on the anticipated availability timeframe of a cable that will allow tech cam Copal shutter, and flash, use with the IQ4?

I wouldn't have expected that as of February 2019 it still wouldn't be possible to use these basic capabilities with the IQ4.

Thanks in advance for any information or even well-founded rumors.

Phase V

There won´t be any solution until Phase One came out with their own Tech-Cam
solution, oh wait, that was only a bad joke :D :D
On the other hand, Cambo is running out on Copal Shutters this spring, Alpa may
have some left who knowns, the Rodenstock Web Page is down for months, so you
may wonder why they should spend time and money on something that´s very soon a thing of the past.

JeRuFo

There won´t be any solution until Phase One came out with their own Tech-Cam
solution, oh wait, that was only a bad joke :D :D
On the other hand, Cambo is running out on Copal Shutters this spring, Alpa may
have some left who knowns, the Rodenstock Web Page is down for months, so you
may wonder why they should spend time and money on something that´s very soon a thing of the past.
Because almost every single tech cam lens has a copal shutter right now and you don't want to alienate your customers in a competitive market and force them to change their habits. I agree that soon a physical shutter will be unnecessary, but it seems a bit soon to do it while they are still being sold and electronic shutters still are not perfected.

Paul2660

What's so interesting to me, is that it's seems possible P1, may have never even tried the new back on any tech camera. Proof of this:

1. P1 would have been the first to tout the performance of the new BSI chip on tech cameras, mainly the lack of color cast and crosstalk, issues that have plagued the tech camera digital back combo for years.
2. P1 would have mentioned that currently you can't fire a copal shutter with a IQ4, as there is no zero latency and no 12 pin cable available.

They did mention in the manual about the issues around Live View and low light, (P1 tells users to up the ISO to handle lower light situations) and they mention that the other method (the one that IQ3 uses) which balances out the Live View screen, no exposure simulation is coming later on.

The results have been amazing, but it does seem that the tech camera may have been overlooked. The first images showing just how improved the results were camera from DT and CI, both US dealers.

They also may have felt that improvements to ES shutter over IQ3 may have eliminated the need for a copal shutter. Anyone's guess.

Paul C

Aviv1887

I'm not sure if the first test images available came from DT or CI. If I remember correctly, the images of the castle (in Denmark?) shot on the RS 23 and RD 32 were the first ones I had seen. I believe those ones where provided by P1.

onasj

Will get my cable on Wednesday. Well see from there.
Christopher, are you getting a cable from P1? From Alpa? From Cambo/Arca? Is the cable a prototype allowing one-shot Copal shutter with flash sync? Please let us know, and thank you!

Paul2660

I'm not sure if the first test images available came from DT or CI. If I remember correctly, the images of the castle (in Denmark?) shot on the RS 23 and RD 32 were the first ones I had seen. I believe those ones where provided by P1.
You make a good point.

P1 did publish the castle shot. I remember it. But they did not have movement as a recall and no LCC was shown. Once some of the NYC shots from DT showed up with movement and LCCs the true advances for tech cameras users starts to show.

Paul C

Aviv1887

The Castle shots on the RD 23 and 32 were without movements. I did get the LCC's provided through my dealer after I had seen them online.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I've been traveling all week so excuse some brevity...

P1 was very aware of (and excited about) the 150mp sensor performance for tech camera use before there were even prototypes of the sensor were made. I think you guys hugely underrate how close the relationship is between Sony's sensor division and P1's design team.

We should have an update on tech camera cables *very* soon. Stay tuned.

Very interested in the cable when they get their act together.

In the meantime, I shot a job with ES, with people, with movement - without strobes - and had a great time. I was able to crank through shots because I wasn’t cocking and firing the shutter anymore. The effect of rolling shutter on moving people in mid and background is minimal at IIQ14.

However, IIQ16 and 16EX readout is far too slow to chance when getting the shot matters.

If strobes are the issue, I’m not sure what to tell you. If you’re shooting in studio with no ambi, and have a 1-3s expo, you can make it work manually firing the strobe, results aren’t 100% consistent, but I hit 85% of the time.

If I were using strobe and trying to balance ambi, it might be a different challenge trying to sync at 1/30th.

In short - ES is totally viable for most subject matter in continuous light.

narikin

Is this upcoming cable Right Angle or Straight out?
We really need a right angle one, but "beggars can't be choosers"

This has been a shambles by Phase One. My confidence in them is very damaged (and this is my 5th generation back!)

I'll not be an early upgrader next time, and maybe never again. Fuji beckons.

drunkenspyder

Is this upcoming cable Right Angle or Straight out?
We really need a right angle one, but "beggars can't be choosers"

This has been a shambles by Phase One. My confidence in them is very damaged (and this is my 5th generation back!)

I'll not be an early upgrader next time, and maybe never again. Fuji beckons.
I get the frustration expressed, but it’s difficult for me to understand how “Fuji beckons” to a tech camera user, or someone who is already planted in the P1 camp. I like the Fuji, and we might wish for better execution on P1’s part—I do, too—but if one wants/needs what the IQ4.150 has to offer, then presumably, the IQ3 Trichromatic/XF is insufficient. And if that is the case, I don’t see how Fuji beckons.

Like a musical genius that releases a flawed piece after a string of brilliant successes, perhaps P1 has revealed more than a bit of fallibility. But it’s hardly uncorrectable. The beauty of the IQ4 is the platform. The 150mpx BSI sensor is just the start. No one has been forced to give up or not buy a Trichro, though I know more than one “sight-unseen upgrader” who has been frustrated. Early adoption often has its downsides, especially with the pace of technology. And sometimes, once burned, twice shy. Phase will need to do some work to regain that lost confidence. People like Doug here are pulling triple duty trying to do just that.

If one’s livelihood depends on a digital back on a tech camera, then the IQ4 may not be ready for your prime time. And I totally understand that.

Fuji’s execution may well implicitly taunt us—and I suspect P1 execs are tearing their hair out on some days, and hopefully doing some real process proctology—but there is not yet any Fuji Trichro competition, let alone IQ4. Granted, Fuji appears to be on a roll, and with any luck, they will be biting at P1’s heels for years to come.

I’m just a non-pro on my 4th P1 back, and so I probably have the luxury of some patience that others may not be able to afford. And that’s just my two cents. But even so, what we already have with P1 is better than what the competition has yet to produce.

narikin

Yeah, should have explained more: I'll be keeping the IQ4, assuming they fix its issues, and use that with my tech outfit for any work requiring tilt/shift/ stitching etc. That's all fine. I'll simply just stop upgrading.

Most of my work is straight shooting hand held with an FPS, for the simplicity and better lenses. The Fuji GFX-100 will do this better than either of my solutions at present - XF and FPS. The XF is rubbish for my sort of work, big clunky and lenses not up to what I can get with FPS. But... the upcoming IBIS & BSI 100mp & sensor wide AF points of GFX, will be a boon for what I do, hence Phase will likely loose me as a regular customer.

Like many here, I run more than one system, and choose what is best for the job. Sony, Alpa, XF, IQ4, etc. (sold my Canons) Fuji will join that.

Of course, we all have different needs, and it goes without saying: YMMV

Christopher

Got the cable. Looks good is right angle. Can’t test it till I get back to my tech cam. Wake up must be done on the back for now.

narikin

Got the cable. Looks good is right angle. Can’t test it till I get back to my tech cam. Wake up must be done on the back for now.
from... Phase or from Alpa/Arca/Cambo?

How do you wake up from the back? ugh, if it's two steps, then this is kind of half-cocked.

I'm praying proper tech sync will come in the next firmware. (Just like in the 2016 IQ3, and 2011 IQ180, how did this get lost?!)

Glad to hear its 90 degrees. inching forward.

Christopher

From Phase. Wake up has currently to be done from the back.
I hope as well that the next firmware will correct that.

from... Phase or from Alpa/Arca/Cambo?

How do you wake up from the back? ugh, if it's two steps, then this is kind of half-cocked.

I'm praying proper tech sync will come in the next firmware. (Just like in the 2016 IQ3, and 2011 IQ180, how did this get lost?!)

Glad to hear its 90 degrees. inching forward.

tashley

Subscriber Member
From Phase. Wake up has currently to be done from the back.
I hope as well that the next firmware will correct that.
Precisely what is the method of performing wake up on the back? Does one have to enter live view, or initiate a an ES exposure that is longer than the anticipated copal exposure and try to shoot down the middle - or what?