The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question about the 150mm Wine County system on P1 35mm Blue Ring

Paul2660

I received the system, with the 105mm adapter ring. Net, the ring appears to be fine threaded, and after one turn, it will not screw into the front thread on either the Phase One 35mm BR, 40-80 BR, or 75-105, with a 95mm to 105mm step up ring. Instead it binds about about 1 turn. Nowhere enough material has been threaded to safely hold the mass of the Wine county holder, CL-PL and 1 filter, not to mention 2.

In fact, I can't get the adapter ring to screw into any front threaded 105mm filter.

Does anyone else have this system yet using the 105mm adapter ring? If so does it fit into the Phase One 105mm threads. I am trying to see if I have a bad ring, or if Wine Country has made a ring with the incorrect threading to accept a course threaded lens.

Thanks

Paul C

Last edited:

MartinN

Re: Problem with the 150mm Wine County system on P1 35mm Blue Ring

I have had problems with my Fuji GX680 which has huge lens diameters, up to 95mm and 112mm. After about 100mm there seems to exist no definitive standard and probably the threads can be chosen by the manufacturer. Cokin for example has two different thread pitch adapter rings on the x-pro system. I would not force anything on an expensive lens and eventually wc has to produce some accurate threads for different lenses.

lance_schad

Workshop Member

I received the system, with the 105mm adapter ring. Net, the ring appears to be fine threaded, and after one turn, it will not screw into the front thread on either the Phase One 35mm BR, 40-80 BR, or 75-105, with a 95mm to 105mm step up ring. Instead it binds about about 1 turn. Nowhere enough material has been threaded to safely hold the mass of the Wine county holder, CL-PL and 1 filter, not to mention 2.

In fact, I can't get the adapter ring to screw into any front threaded 105mm filter.

Does anyone else have this system yet using the 105mm adapter ring? If so does it fit into the Phase One 105mm threads. I am trying to see if I have a bad ring, or if Wine Country has made a ring with the incorrect threading to accept a course threaded lens.

Thanks

Paul C
I just used the new WCC 150mm filter system with the 105mm adapter on the 35mmLS yesterday with no issues. Have you reached out to Rod Clark regarding the issue are encountering?

Lance

Paul2660

Hello Lance.

Yes, I have, and he has been very helpful. Wasn't trying to make a negative post but seems to have been that has been taken that way. Forums are for sharing information. I have been using filters for over 30 years, not new to the game here.

Sorry if this has been taken the wrong way. I was trying to see if others had the same problem, you have quickly answered that you have the same system and no problems. Somehow I must have a ring with the wrong threading.

Not sure that happened, especially since you have used the same adapter ring. My ring most definitely won't fit.

Paul C

Christopher

Don’t worry. I don’t think most people see it as a negative comment. I still can remember when I had a very similar problem with one of my filters and it won’t wouldn’t screw in. I really felt like an idiot and it took me a while to figure out that there are different thread types.

I don’t know if they make two different versions or something else went wrong. Just to clear things up, as I don’t have my phase lens around to measure. What thread pitch is the lens using?

Paul2660

Don’t worry. I don’t think most people see it as a negative comment. I still can remember when I had a very similar problem with one of my filters and it won’t wouldn’t screw in. I really felt like an idiot and it took me a while to figure out that there are different thread types.

I don’t know if they make two different versions or something else went wrong. Just to clear things up, as I don’t have my phase lens around to measure. What thread pitch is the lens using?
Both lenses are course threaded.

Paul C

drunkenspyder

I have two S-K lenses with 105 filter threads: the 35 and the 40-80. When I was using the ProGrey 150Z system, I could not get the 105mm adapter to fit my Phase lenses. After some investigation, Lynn Radecka, the PG USA rep concluded the PG adapter was threaded incorrectly. When I first tried the WCC 105 adapters [I have two], they were difficult to get threaded on the lenses, and then screeched something horrible when I was about 1.5 turns in. This was not confidence-inspiring. Still, I set them up with the system on a tripod, left them there overnight, came back in the morning, stomped on the wooden floor, and even mimicked a fall and catch. No problem.

But it gets curious. I have several 105mm round filters. Most are slims, with no front threading, but a couple have front threads. Each of these [Firecrest] filters screws on to the Phase lenses flawlessly. And, the WCC 105 adapters screw into each filter with no problem. This makes no sense to me. Both the lenses and the WCC adapters appear to be coarse-threaded, but there is obviously something a tad different between the adapters and the lenses.

P.S. I didn't take your post, or any of the responses, as negative.