The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

SK 24mm XL on tech cam: is crosstalk still an issue with CMOS sensors?

epforever

I'm considering getting a Schneider 24mm Apo-Digitar f/5.6 XL for my Alpa. (I do realize its image circle is only 60mm.) And at some point I'll be upgrading from my H5D-50 (CCD) to a Sony / CMOS sensor.

I've read that, due to the very steep angle of the light hitting the sensor when using this lens, some serious artifacts and crosstalk can arise on the Sony / CMOS sensors. Is this still the case? Or are Capture One and Phocus now able to correct for this? Is anyone out there using the SK 24mm on a Sony / CMOS sensor?

thanks
ethan

Ben730

Ethan
The SK 24 is a great lens, but you will have unfixable colourcast with the Phase IQ100 MP and also with the IQ50 MP,
maybe the IQ150 BSI can do the job.
Regards,
Ben

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Agreed that the 24XL is not usable* on the 50mp or 100mp Phase One backs (and especially not with any other camera with similar sensors).

Re using it with the IQ4 150mp... I have not tried a 24XL but I have tried the 28XL which performed very well. I suspect the 24XL would be "remarkably good considering" - that is, the image circle won't fully cover the full sensor, and the sharpness may not be up to the standards of, e.g., the 23HR, but considering those things it will be remarkably good.

If anyone has a 24XL and wants to bring it to our NYC or LA office I'm glad to arrange a test for it on one of our many IQ4 150mp demo units.

*Not usable is a very strong phrase from a technical point of view. Clearly it technically can be used, and one can imagine some contrived scenarios in which the significant technical limitations wouldn't be a problem, but it's not a combination I would ever recommend.

Boinger

Agreed that the 24XL is not usable* on the 50mp or 100mp Phase One backs (and especially not with any other camera with similar sensors).

Re using it with the IQ4 150mp... I have not tried a 24XL but I have tried the 28XL which performed very well. I suspect the 24XL would be "remarkably good considering" - that is, the image circle won't fully cover the full sensor, and the sharpness may not be up to the standards of, e.g., the 23HR, but considering those things it will be remarkably good.

If anyone has a 24XL and wants to bring it to our NYC or LA office I'm glad to arrange a test for it on one of our many IQ4 150mp demo units.

*Not usable is a very strong phrase from a technical point of view. Clearly it technically can be used, and one can imagine some contrived scenarios in which the significant technical limitations wouldn't be a problem, but it's not a combination I would ever recommend.
Hi Doug,

Could you show me some samples of the 28XL on the iq4 150. I have been thinking of getting one some info would be appreciated.