The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

23mm Digaron and 120mm Blue Ring Macro on Iq4 150

Dadbod

Has anyone tried these lenses on their new back? If so, how did the perform?

Thanks for any insight.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The 23HR is prone to flare and requires very careful flagging/shading, but is otherwise excellent. On the 150mp more of the image circle is useable than on the 100mp or previous backs; very little color cast before correction, and zero residual color cast if you choose to do an LCC.

120LS-BR is likewise great.

We rate them as A (great) because of the 23’s propensity to flare and (relatively) small image circle and the 120Ls BR’s very slight CA. They are great lenses, but this keeps them from being extraordinary.

https://phaseoneiq4.com/lenses-for-150-megapixels/

tashley

Subscriber Member
I’ve been using the 120 macro a bit and can say that I haven’t seen any CA that would defeat me - unlike the 80mm BRLS, which is not pretty in that regard.

Sharpness with the lens seems great too.

One word of warning: 150MP quickly shows you that what you thought about DOF with a lens of this focal length is wrong. In effect, there pretty much isn’t any.... unless you stop down to diffraction territory.

A screen at say 220 PPI might allow you to keep your head in the sand but proof the images on something like a 140 PPI screen and the truth will out.

I very very often print to 180 DPI so the truth is somewhere between the two...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I’ve been using the 120 macro a bit and can say that I haven’t seen any CA that would defeat me - unlike the 80mm BRLS, which is not pretty in that regard.
There isn't much. But there is a tad. Enough that we hesitate to classify it as Extraordinary (A+) but not so much that we have any problem calling it Great (A). We think that the only value to an "extraordinary" rating of a lens is if it is only given to the absolute best lenses available.

The 80LS BR, by way of comparison, has enough CA that we classify it as Good (B).

One word of warning: 150MP quickly shows you that what you thought about DOF with a lens of this focal length is wrong. In effect, there pretty much isn’t any.... unless you stop down to diffraction territory.
This partly depends on focus distance of course. At macro distances even at f/11 there is hardly any DOF (the built-in focus stacking of the XF is super helpful here). Toward infinity the DOF at f/11, at hyperfocal (e.g. using the built-in hyperfocal tool of the XF) is as you'd expect

And as you say, this is assuming you're judging at 100% or on *very* large high-PPI prints. At more common print sizes there is no difference in DOF to a camera with a lower resolution (e.g. IQ3 100mp)

drunkenspyder

Has anyone tried these lenses on their new back? If so, how did the perform?

Thanks for any insight.
I recently did some quick test shots, deciding what to take on a ten day trip starting this weekend. I shot in a situation with zero risk of flare, so did not have to confront that challenge of the 23. However, I can confirm that there was almost zero color cast, and that an LCC, while not completely superfluous, is something one can skip if need be. The 32 was likewise lovely. I did not test the 120, though I love that lens. I decided to take the 23/Cambo and XF/40-80, along with a few other items.

Dadbod

The 23HR is prone to flare and requires very careful flagging/shading, but is otherwise excellent. On the 150mp more of the image circle is useable than on the 100mp or previous backs; very little color cast before correction, and zero residual color cast if you choose to do an LCC.

120LS-BR is likewise great.

We rate them as A (great) because of the 23’s propensity to flare and (relatively) small image circle and the 120Ls BR’s very slight CA. They are great lenses, but this keeps them from being extraordinary.

https://phaseoneiq4.com/lenses-for-150-megapixels/

Thank you Doug, I really appreciate your time and insight! I tested them quite a bit over the past couple days and they both performed great!

Dadbod

Drunkenspider- Thank you so much. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts. I used the 23 yesterday and it was awesome. The 120mm was great as well!

Have a great day!

Dadbod

A screen at say 220 PPI might allow you to keep your head in the sand but proof the images on something like a 140 PPI screen and the truth will out.

I very very often print to 180 DPI so the truth is somewhere between the two...

Tashley, thank you so much. I too found the same with regards to the 120. I did a few shots with stacking and processed in helicon and they looked nothing short of amazing!

Have a great day!

drunkenspyder

Drunkenspider- Thank you so much. Please let me know if you have any other thoughts. I used the 23 yesterday and it was awesome. The 120mm was great as well!

Have a great day!
The 120 is a sweet lens. For easy automated stacking on the XF of complicated objects like deep flowers or small scale machinery, it's pretty amazing. Still surprised that others have not implemented the XF's rather simple process. The Nikon D850 and Z7, for example, have quite effective focus stacking features, but they are simply not as easy to use as the Phase. And therefore not as effective.

The 23 is indeed awesome.