The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Modular Fuji GFX Concept

Boinger

I just recently bought a gfx 50r, and I have had an x1d for a while now.

I love my x1d but I'm growing hesitant at the silence from Hasselblad.

It just seems like fuji seems the go to for small medium format cameras. The gfx 50r is much more functional than the x1d.

But I hate using it. After using the x1d for so long it feels so big.

I wish Hasselblad would make an announcement or something so I know which route to take.

But nice to see fuji thinking out of the box.

tcdeveau

I just recently bought a gfx 50r, and I have had an x1d for a while now.

I love my x1d but I'm growing hesitant at the silence from Hasselblad.

It just seems like fuji seems the go to for small medium format cameras. The gfx 50r is much more functional than the x1d.

But I hate using it. After using the x1d for so long it feels so big.

I wish Hasselblad would make an announcement or something so I know which route to take.

But nice to see fuji thinking out of the box.
Many of us are definitely itching to see what's next from Hasselblad. I looked at it one time, and many of their major recent announcements for bodies, from the H5 to the X1D, happened in the March-July time frame, so we probably don't have to wait much longer.

I don't think you're the only worried about the "silence" from Hasselblad, and I don't think its in their best interest to keep things under wraps too much longer. Then again, Hasselblad is in a no-win scenario where people are growing weary of their silence, but people are also growing weary of their announcements without products shipping (see the 35-75mm XCD zoom for example, which was announced in Feb of 2017 and again in Nov 2017).

They need to find some sort of sweet spot between announcing products and getting them shipped. I personally love my X1D, but a new camera announcement does not mean much to me if it will take them 6-12 months to actually ship it after they announce it. People also still view the X1D as buggy, and I think they really need to take their time and get this one right out of the box. I haven't really had any issues other than the scroll wheels, which were replaced under warranty, but not everyone has had my experience. The X is a great platform, and the new IMX461 100mp sensor should be awesome. With the two of those combined, and some usability tweaks and feature improvement, they really should have a winner on their hands....hopefully they deliver.

And if they don't...it's nice to see Fuji doing some neat things in the MF space too. The new 100-200mm GF is something I wish the Hasselblad X had. I'm with you though, I just don't really enjoy the Fuji's in use, although I know I could get what I need out of a GFX. I have a X-E3 and my wife has an X-T1. They're capable cameras but frustrate me in use to no end.

Hasselblad had a neat concept back in 2016 (I think) with the V1D, so they are definitely capable of thinking outside the box a bit too. Would be great to see some of these concepts come to life. More options = better for all of us.

What are the other grip options? Just having a detachable grip doesn't bring much to the table, particularly if that is where the shutter speed dial is placed.

What are the other grip options? Just having a detachable grip doesn't bring much to the table, particularly if that is where the shutter speed dial is placed.
I have a feeling that this is just a concept and that the actual body will be the initial images floating around with that large permanent battery grip, which reminds me of a larger Canon 1Ds III or 1 DX body. I'd rather something smaller in form. Fingers-crossed but I am also not holding my breath.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Companies that are small enough to have photography as their main product can fail at any time. Companies that are large enough to display many potential future products can abandon photography at any time on a whim or change in senior management.

Roadmaps mean nothing. Prototypes mean nothing. Ignore the noise or the silence from a manufacturer. They are not your friends and they owe you nothing.

Cameras are not an investment. Use what you can get now.

(Wet blanket mode - off)

M

dave.gt

Companies that are small enough to have photography as their main product can fail at any time. Companies that are large enough to display many potential future products can abandon photography at any time on a whim or change in senior management.

Roadmaps mean nothing. Prototypes mean nothing. Ignore the noise or the silence from a manufacturer. They are not your friends and they owe you nothing.

Cameras are not an investment. Use what you can get now.

(Wet blanket mode - off)

M
Haha!

The key word being "USE"... as in get out and shoot! Right?:thumbup:
Lol... I am shooting everything I can get my hands on lately, and running out of subjects locally. Must look deeper! The warmer weather is a bonus right now, so I hope everyone gets out and about!

In my downtime (like zero actually), it is fun to see what is on the horizon. But I am too busy to fret or daydream, so...

I will use my modular H cam this week. With film backs, too!:)

Something different next week. We live in interesting times for sure!:)

bab

I was intrigued by Fuji on the subject of Value Angle and the tilt-shift lens discussions. Both topics seem to have taken similar outcomes.
While it seems the Value Angle is set up for third party innovations, it also seems as if Fuji is saying a Tilt-Shift lens won’t make us any money. A new camera with the right Value Angle will. It would make sense to invest and produce only the most popular items and then let third party gamble on everything else.
I believe we will never again see a complete system from any manufacturer.
Also the retained value of a lens still only belongs to Leica. Who knows how long that will last ex. their 50mm F2 was the king and still might be. Used they are expensive. However many companies are now selling 50mm glass trying to best Leica....like Fuji 33 mm F1.0 project.

Shashin

I am not sure Fuji is following Leica with the 33mm f/1.0, but rather continuing the Japanese tradition of innovation. If anything, Fuji is chasing Cannon. Cannon released their 50mm F/0.95 lens in 1961, Leica would finally catch up in 2008 (the 1966 model was f/1.2). The Japanese have had a long love affair with the rangefinder and fast glass, and the Cannon 7 rangefinder and 50mm f/0.95 has an important place in Japanese photographic history (and in the hearts of Japanese photographers). The X Pro series is a forward thinking design on that camera type. Leica has firmly put their future in their past: something the M10-D represents.

I checked the price of some of Leica's top glass, used and new. It appears that those lenses lose about 20% of their value. When you are talking about an $8K to $12K lens, the amount of depreciation would probably cover the price any of the Fuji equivalents with some change to spare.

But I am with (a rather grumpy) Matt, photographic gear don't make for very good investment instruments. Leica or Fujifilm stock might be better.