The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture Integration IQ4 150 Quick Start User Guide

Steve Hendrix

Our very own Brad Kaye has been balancing his technical support duties while compiling a page for IQ4 150 recipients that gives a great overview and introduction for many of the new interface changes and features, and includes some comprehensive information. If you've been using an IQ1, IQ2, or IQ3, or even if you are new to Phase One, this is a great primer on getting started.

https://captureintegration.com/iq4-150-basics/

Steve Hendrix/CI

drunkenspyder

Our very own Brad Kaye has been balancing his technical support duties while compiling a page for IQ4 150 recipients that gives a great overview and introduction for many of the new interface changes and features, and includes some comprehensive information. If you've been using an IQ1, IQ2, or IQ3, or even if you are new to Phase One, this is a great primer on getting started.

Steve Hendrix/CI
Sweet. Thanks Steve and Brad.

Orley

Brad, just when I thought you couldn't raise the bar any higher, you do something like this and jump to SuperHero status! Your instructions are very helpful and timely, filling the vacumn left by PhaseOne. Thanks to the whole Capture Integration team for supporting not only their customers but the whole IQ user base.

Smoothjazz

Thanks very much for the videos; this is exactly the information that we need to get started with the back, with less trial and error and menu surfing. Particularly helpful since I am getting my new IQ4 150 back next week. I sure hope that the folks over at Phase One appreciate all that you do to support their products.
Good job!!

Orley

Brad's Quick Start guide and the XF-IQ4 User Manual are very helpful.

FYI- There is an interesting difference between the IQ-4 and its predecessors. If the door covering the memory cards is left open, the cards will not be recognized. I can't find a reference to this change in the manuals.

For several weeks I have had intermittent failure to read the XQD card, a red icon would appear, no shot count. Last night by accident I found the new door sensor was the cause. Probably it should have gone without instructions to 'close the _ _ _ _ door', I am sure most of the new owners figured that out on day one.

Steve Hendrix

Brad's Quick Start guide and the XF-IQ4 User Manual are very helpful.

FYI- There is an interesting difference between the IQ-4 and its predecessors. If the door covering the memory cards is left open, the cards will not be recognized. I can't find a reference to this change in the manuals.

For several weeks I have had intermittent failure to read the XQD card, a red icon would appear, no shot count. Last night by accident I found the new door sensor was the cause. Probably it should have gone without instructions to 'close the _ _ _ _ door', I am sure most of the new owners figured that out on day one.

FYI, this document is meant to live as a sustained reference, meaning that it will reflect ongoing revelations, new discoveries, etc. So I would recommend bookmarking this page, and checking in from time to time.

One example of this is if you scroll down about 80% to: "** Updated: ES Shutter Speed Details", you will see an entry that Brad added earlier this week concerning some ES Shutter Speed behavior that we noticed recently.

Steve Hendrix/CI

Last edited:

Paul2660

As many know, the IQ4 is unable to report the zoom settings for either the Schneider 40-80 and or the 75-150. This is a bit surprising to me. In the meta you get the fact that your lens is the 40-80 etc and shutter speed. Hopefully this will not require sending in two 8K lenses to have their firmware updated, and can be handled in a firmware update to the back.

As for the ES and tech camera use, the fact that you no longer have to take the dark frame is a huge improvement. In many articles written on the IQ3/ES and tech camera use it's mentioned that you will need to take a mandatory dark frame, then you should be able to continue to use the ES without taking another. In fact, I found that with even a 1/3 change in shutter speed, the back would call for a dark frame. So net each time you changed the shutter speed via ES, you had to do the dark frame. May not sound like much but if you are using a filter stack, like Lee, or Wine Country, where you are not able to get a totally dark frame unless you pull off the filter array, it was a pain.

I would also like to see P1 figure out a way to allow the photographer to input the F stop with ES into the meta. As has been pointed out, currently the back just remembers the last setting if on the XF, and continues to record that to the meta. Odds are you will not remember a year later that you were actually at F8 during that shoot, not F 12.

I guess I am also the only person using this back that feels the Live View is not the same as Live View from the IQ3 or even IQ250. The Live view from the older backs, showed a much more contrasted image, with a bit more micro detail, which for me made manual focus much easier. The Live View on the IQ4 is flat, and have almost no contrast and makes viewing the image at 100% more difficult, again for me. I did find that by turning off focus peaking, the Live View does gain a bit more contrast and allows for easier Manual focus.

Peaking is green, again, why? Most cameras use White or red, would prefer more color options. Phase seems stuck on green back from Focus mask.

The issue with Live View and exposures longer than 1 second is clearly documented by CI in their blog and even P1 in the manual. Hopefully P1 will get the older style Live View back sooner than later, as working in low light with the current solution is taxing.

Paul C

Boinger

As many know, the IQ4 is unable to report the zoom settings for either the Schneider 40-80 and or the 75-150. This is a bit surprising to me. In the meta you get the fact that your lens is the 40-80 etc and shutter speed. Hopefully this will not require sending in two 8K lenses to have their firmware updated, and can be handled in a firmware update to the back.

As for the ES and tech camera use, the fact that you no longer have to take the dark frame is a huge improvement. In many articles written on the IQ3/ES and tech camera use it's mentioned that you will need to take a mandatory dark frame, then you should be able to continue to use the ES without taking another. In fact, I found that with even a 1/3 change in shutter speed, the back would call for a dark frame. So net each time you changed the shutter speed via ES, you had to do the dark frame. May not sound like much but if you are using a filter stack, like Lee, or Wine Country, where you are not able to get a totally dark frame unless you pull off the filter array, it was a pain.

I would also like to see P1 figure out a way to allow the photographer to input the F stop with ES into the meta. As has been pointed out, currently the back just remembers the last setting if on the XF, and continues to record that to the meta. Odds are you will not remember a year later that you were actually at F8 during that shoot, not F 12.

I guess I am also the only person using this back that feels the Live View is not the same as Live View from the IQ3 or even IQ250. The Live view from the older backs, showed a much more contrasted image, with a bit more micro detail, which for me made manual focus much easier. The Live View on the IQ4 is flat, and have almost no contrast and makes viewing the image at 100% more difficult, again for me. I did find that by turning off focus peaking, the Live View does gain a bit more contrast and allows for easier Manual focus.

Peaking is green, again, why? Most cameras use White or red, would prefer more color options. Phase seems stuck on green back from Focus mask.

The issue with Live View and exposures longer than 1 second is clearly documented by CI in their blog and even P1 in the manual. Hopefully P1 will get the older style Live View back sooner than later, as working in low light with the current solution is taxing.

Paul C

Hi Paul,

I don't know about the other things, but you can enter the f-stop into the back while shooting on a tech cam.

You have to tap the f/ number on screen it should allow you to pick it.

algrove

Hi Paul,

I don't know about the other things, but you can enter the f-stop into the back while shooting on a tech cam.

You have to tap the f/ number on screen it should allow you to pick it.
Nothing new here versus the IQ3100. We were hoping one could also enter the lens used in the same way. Guess not.

Boinger

Nothing new here versus the IQ3100. We were hoping one could also enter the lens used in the same way. Guess not.
Yes and movements would be nice too. And honestly there are only like 10-15 tech lenses to chose from anyway.