The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stolen

danlindberg

I was given a Kodak Instamatic at the age of 6. Loved it from the first instant and from that early age always been close to cameras and photography. I have had many many cameras, lenses, systems. Olympus OM2's and OM4's with a dozen lenses, Canon F1's, T90, a dozen lenses, Canon 1Ds with 6 L lenses, Leica M3, M4, M6, M9 and lenses, Linhof 4x5, Hasselblad 500CM with 8 lenses, Fuji GX680 III with 6 lenses and of course the crown of my journey the Alpa system.
I am 51 years old meaning I have had 45 years of filled camerabags always close by, and the point is that I have NEVER EVER lost a single item. Not by neglect, not by thieves. NEVER.

When it finally happened it came down with full force and a big bang. I miss it dearly already.

k-hawinkler

Dan, I feel so sorry for your loss. You will get over it and have many decades of photography ahead of you. Trust me. Age wise I am way ahead of you.

AlanS

Dan, sorry to hear about this. It is very traumatic when your personal space (home) is violated like this and it takes some time to come to terms with it! It happened to me years ago, but you and your family are safe, the other stuff is just belongings, they can be replaced.

vjbelle

So sorry to read about this. Hope the police catch the Basta***! I also hope your insurance company will treat you with fairness.

Victor

PedroL

Thanks for your support. This is our bedroom right now....

`

Invasion of your privacy is terrible. The loss of cameras is kind of collateral damage. I hope you are properly insured, but make sure to have a lawyer on"stand by" as insurance company are there - until you need them...
Sorry fort your trouble and wishing you quick recovery from all points of view.

gerald.d

Dan -

Words fail me. You and your family are in my thoughts.

As many people will recall, I sold off almost all my ALPA gear some time back as I chose to focus purely on watch photography.

One thing that I never did get around to selling was my Schneider AP-Digitar 5.6/120 N short barrel.

I guess it was for a reason.

DM me your address and I will FedEx it to you gratis - it's just sat in a box here doing nothing useful. In your hands, I know it will create beautiful images that will inspire thousands.

I was considering doing this as a private message, but perhaps making it public will encourage others here to help out where they can.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

RLB

Dan,

I'm sorry you and your family went through this. Not only did you loose the equipment, but the violation of your home. So sad!
5 1/2 years ago my studio had an electrical fire. While the fire was minimal the water damages and thrashing about of the boys in the red truck did enormous damage.
My consolation was that once I got beyond the shock of it I had a fabulous insurance agent who helped me navigate the process of restoration. We also did gain in some
respects in that our insurance coverage on the equipment was for "Replacement Cost". That meant in some cases that older discontinued equipment was replaced with newer
gear at no extra charge to us. Several manufacturers wrote letters for us, IE: model XYZ is no longer available, and the nearest replacement for it is the XYZ 2R. Replacement cost means replacing your gear with equivalent gear, with zero depreciation. ACR means the cash value of the depreciated gear (or in some cases, the appreciated gear value) .I'm happy to share more specifics on this if its helpful, just PM me. My best wishes to you and your family.

Robert Bullivant

danlindberg

People! A huge THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. I DO feel your sympathy, concern and support. What an amazing community this is!!!!!

GERALD, I'm speechless, that is truly 'something else'. WOW! I obviously consider it a loan and will either pay you down the road or return it with some sort of interest, but for now it means 'the b-stards' don't win!!!!

In this mess I guess I was lucky with my X1D that I still have since it was with me when it happened. I was not at all looking the X1d way, but last summer I was approached for a 5 day project to shoot fashion (kids). I said that I do not have equipment for that so it will not be possible but they insisted and asked me to figure out a way to make it happen. I proposed to buy an X1D + XCD90 and make the complete set of images for the catalogue. I put down 25% of that investment and work for 5 days and then the body/lens was mine. Brilliant deal in my world.

So, this I still have, and still have the Alpa TC + the adapter since everything out in the open they did not take!

It's a huge blow, but I will come back. The passion for photography is too deep within me.

Thank you :clap:

gerald.d

People! A huge THANK YOU from the bottom of my heart. I DO feel your sympathy, concern and support. What an amazing community this is!!!!!

GERALD, I'm speechless, that is truly 'something else'. WOW! I obviously consider it a loan and will either pay you down the road or return it with some sort of interest, but for now it means 'the b-stards' don't win!!!!
Not a loan. A gift. To help you get back up and running. The images you will create with it are sufficient payback.

Hopefully down the road your insurance will enable you to replace it with a new one. When it does, please feel free to “pay it forward” by passing the lens on to someone who can make good use of it.

The b-stards will never win.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

jdphoto

Dan,
Considering much of the camera gear seems to not be the primary target, keep watch at all pawn/consignment shops, Ebay, local classifieds or any other potential point of sale location. This obviously could be an internet search too. Consider locations within at least a 50km radius. Daunting, I know, but if a thief tries to mitigate their looses by not finding what they assumed was in the safe, they will undoubtedly try to cash in on the gear at some point. Quality exudes from the gear you listed and I doubt that would just be thrown away and considering the specific nature of this gear, it should be easier to track. However, some crooks may not be the smartest either, so have a look in local waste cans or bins where one might jettison anything they deem to not be of value. This sucks and my thoughts are with you. Was the safe bolted to the floor? Gated communities are usually considered safe, so have a look at locals, security cameras and any other suspicious activity in your neighborhood. Good luck my friend.

P.S. Your images have been incredibly inspiring, so no, the crooks won't win because you'll have a new found sense of gratitude and purpose when you start taking more photographs. Also, when all is cleaned up and put away, I would suggest re arranging the furniture, pictures and lamps. This will help to create a "new" space within the old one. This will help to create new memories from a different perspective. Cleanse the house with incense and bless the home with a sense of peace and protection. This might seem a bit "out there", but it is also a symbolic gesture for starting new.

Last edited:

JoelM

So sorry to hear of your loss. It's a terrible feeling, I know. Thank goodness that no one was home and that none of your loved ones got hurt. If you have pets, I hope that they are okay.

Joel

danlindberg

Not a loan. A gift. To help you get back up and running. The images you will create with it are sufficient payback.

Hopefully down the road your insurance will enable you to replace it with a new one. When it does, please feel free to “pay it forward” by passing the lens on to someone who can make good use of it.

The b-stards will never win.

Kind regards,

Gerald.
Gerald, It really is an incredible gesture from you! It has been a roller coaster in emotions and I am old enough to admit that I actually shed a tear or two when I read your post. Thank you!

I will use it to the best of my ability and I will pay it forward at a good point when I am completely on my feet again. I promise.

Ed Hurst

Dan - can I add my voice to the chorus of people full of empathy, shock, support, love and anger about your news? Just awful.

Wish I could help in a more practical way, but please know that across the world, people are thinking of you and hoping that this will somehow be the beginning of something new...

Warmest regards,
Ed

danlindberg

I'd like to add that the local police has been great. First on scene when we discovered the mess were polite and professional. One of them spoke quite a bit with my 14 year old daughter since she was very afraid to sleep here, but he explained that it has never been safer since the 'bad guys' had done this one and only was going for the next one.

Today arrived two 'CSI' guys doing the fingerprint thingy and went through probably entrance and getaway paths etc. They suggested me to email images of all the items on my list since nobody knows what they look like and this shows that they actually care. Great.

Tomorrow is meeting with the insurance company.

PeterL

So sorry to hear this Dan, I feel terrible for you and your family. Hopefully the police can recover some of the things they took, but they can't take away the horrible feeling you must have of invaded privacy. My thought are with you.

Cheers, -Peter