The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Stolen

danlindberg

Gerald's 120 arrived today :clap::clap::clap::salute:

I dropped everything and went to the beach just to give it a spin. Alpa TC + X1D + Schneider APO-Gerald 120N.

It is identical to what I had myself a week ago both in terms of exact model, condition, feel, focusing, rendering....the works.

First positive thing in a week! (Not a sign of the other stuff....)

Thank you so much - all of you - in your concern and support. And Gerald, I will pay it forward when the time is right!

gerald.d

I dropped everything and went to the beach just to give it a spin. Alpa TC + X1D + Schneider APO-Gerald 120N.

It is identical to what I had myself a week ago both in terms of exact model, condition, feel, focusing, rendering....the works.

Thank you so much - all of you - in your concern and support. And Gerald, I will pay it forward when the time is right!

Wonderful Dan.

That image is all the payback I need. Thank you for sharing.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Pemihan

Schneider APO-Gerald - I like that :)

Shout out to Gerald, what a gesture :salute::salute::salute:

vieri

So, so sorry to hear that, Dan. My thoughts are with you and I hope the police will catch the bastards soon!

Gerald, you got all my appreciation - such a great gesture, so rare these days. Thank you for making us feel a bit better about human nature after what Dan went through :)

Best regards,

Vieri

Orley

Dan, Thank you for taking time to share your talent with forums members.

Gerald's kind gesture will be remembered for a long time.

med

Dan, Thank you for taking time to share your talent with forums members.

Gerald's kind gesture will be remembered for a long time.
+1!

I just saw this thread for the for the first time today and went through the whole range emotions from the shock of having your home violated and treasures stolen by some scum bags looking for a fast buck to having my heart warmed by Gerald’s act of kindness.

Kudos to you, Gerald, and Kudos to you, Dan for persevering and not letting the scum bags stop you from making great images!

PhiloFarmer

Re: Stolen Gear...Revitalized Spirits....

Dan and Gerald,

Together you have allowed us "fellow-travelers" to absorb pain and generosity....and I am very grateful to be able to feel both.

The pain is one of an "assault," a violation of Dan's spirit.

Gerald's generosity is a reminder to all of us: support each other...in any way we can...for all the reasons one imagines.

With that pain...and that generosity...I am humbled.

Hank

That's a truly kind gesture Gerald. Good example to all of us.
Dan, I'm really sorry such a horrible thing happened. Best wishes for getting over it quickly.

Dan -

Words fail me. You and your family are in my thoughts.

As many people will recall, I sold off almost all my ALPA gear some time back as I chose to focus purely on watch photography.

One thing that I never did get around to selling was my Schneider AP-Digitar 5.6/120 N short barrel.

I guess it was for a reason.

DM me your address and I will FedEx it to you gratis - it's just sat in a box here doing nothing useful. In your hands, I know it will create beautiful images that will inspire thousands.

I was considering doing this as a private message, but perhaps making it public will encourage others here to help out where they can.

Kind regards,

Gerald.

danlindberg

Yesterday the police called.

"Mr. Lindberg, we have good news and bad news. We have found a plastic bag with some of your stolen goods. Unfortunately it was on the bottom of a lake."

3 weeks submerged camera gear is not what the doctor ordered, but, somehow, it is nice to see some of my babies again. Be it in a very poor state.

Swissblad

Yesterday the police called.

"Mr. Lindberg, we have good news and bad news. We have found a plastic bag with some of your stolen goods. Unfortunately it was on the bottom of a lake."

3 weeks submerged camera gear is not what the doctor ordered, but, somehow, it is nice to see some of my babies again. Be it in a very poor state.
Ah, that is sad - what idiots to take it in the 1st place......:mad:

danlindberg

OMG it takes time to clean! I spent all day yesterday and I am continuing today. I've got back the MAX body, Rodenstock 32, Helvetar 75, Schneider 120, Zeiss Cfe 40 IF and the Aptus II 5. No sign of the Credo 60, Tse 17, Cfi 100 and many accessories.

Obviously the Aptus is now a doorstop. The lenses look terrible so I really do not know if they can be salvaged. I have taken them apart as much as I dare and can, carefully cleaning and putting the parts in bowls of rise. But I guess I still need to send them to Rodenstock, Schneider and Hasselblad for professional cleaning and calibration - if possible. I really really really hope I can get the 32Hr working again. Just love that lens!

The Alpa MAX body will be fine. Advantage of being all mechanical and after two hours nonstop 'fixing' it looks fine and seems to be working great. So, if anything, the body is a huge bonus that it was found. At this point I am not worried about the body.

The thieves themselves are still on the loose. So pointless.

Stuart Richardson

Wow, what a pointless and terrible fate for this gear. Have you been in contact with Alpa? I would imagine that they might be interested in this, and perhaps they can save or replace some of the gear for you.

Just curious, but how did the police find the gear at the bottom of a lake?

danlindberg

Stuart, It was in the lake of Las Brisas golfcourse and the greenkeeper ordered a cleanup last Friday and the course workers dug it up and called the police.
The funny/stupid/incredible thing is that this lake is what we look at from our terrace!!!!! In other words, I have had my morning coffee looking at my stuff without knowing for three weeks. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Boinger

This really sucks and am sorry for you. Any luck with the insurance?

I am pretty sure as long as there is no damage to the glass elements they should be able to be cleaned up well enough to be used again.

Maybe sending them into the factory would be the best option. It might be expensive to have them do it but better than buying new equipment.

algrove

Stuart, It was in the lake of Las Brisas golfcourse and the greenkeeper ordered a cleanup last Friday and the course workers dug it up and called the police.
The funny/stupid/incredible thing is that this lake is what we look at from our terrace!!!!! In other words, I have had my morning coffee looking at my stuff without knowing for three weeks. :banghead::banghead::banghead:
Still smells like an inside job to me.

Pemihan

That's pretty weird. That means they managed to open your safe on the premises!!

Anyway it really sucks that they just could't have left it on the ground. Assholes! I'm so sorry for you Dan.

Jamgolf

Since there are no electronic components involved, I suppose its possible to take them apart and clean them. But it would have to be done by Alpa and Rodenstock. I wonder how much that would cost, but it might still be less than buying new.

Did the police get any fingerprints off these?