The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX100 DPReview

Abstraction

Interesting. I wonder why they did away with the analog controls? That was one of the most appealing features of the GFX 50. Another curious thing is that there are no wireless connectivity options, so tethering will have to be done via USB. In a way, it seems a very strange camera from Fuji, an almost complete departure from their design philosophy.

vjbelle

It's larger than I would have liked but I still want one:thumbup: And.... I will get one:thumbs:

Victor

StevenP

Interesting. I wonder why they did away with the analog controls? That was one of the most appealing features of the GFX 50. Another curious thing is that there are no wireless connectivity options, so tethering will have to be done via USB. In a way, it seems a very strange camera from Fuji, an almost complete departure from their design philosophy.
I could be wrong, but I didn't take this as an "official" announcement of ALL features that will be shipping. I sure hope that there is some sort of wireless connectivity, even if it's only for jpegs. If not, I'll continue to pray over my old, old Eye-Fi card that I use for a crude form of "wirelessly tethering" that works really well for me and my clients. I simply want to be able to get a reasonable sized jpeg to my iMac or iPad for them to see themselves on something bigger than the tiny back of a camera. For the people I work with, it's a HUGE confidence builder.

I currently use a D850, but do a lot of reading about a lot of different brands. I'm always amazed that (AS FAR AS I KNOW) none of the manufacturers have either been able to, or are deliberately not made something that just fires a file off to whatever device you have designated. It seem only 3rd parties get it.

The IQ4 150 does wireless tethering with an even bigger file, so I'm really, really hoping that the new GFX will have something workable. I'll be shocked, if not.

FWIW, I've never used a Fuji camera and even though I'll be the first to say I generally really like their look, the fact that it doesn't look like their other cameras and lacks dials, doesn't bother me a bit. I don't think it will bother people like me who might come to Fuji from the Canon/Nikon side of things. Of course, I've been wrong before :eek:

Looks like an absolute behemoth. Though appears not nearly as heavy as the Phase stuff. At 10k it’s a no brainer. If the IQ4 wasn’t actually fulfilling my needs I’d jump on this in a heartbeat. Just as soon as they get their firmware in order, and make good on some of their promises.

https://m.dpreview.com/articles/1688357270/exclusive-hands-on-with-fujifilm-100mp-gfx-medium-format

Some will still 'need' their overpriced and overweight 150 megapixel Phase One but who? Those making 60x80 prints?
Does it really matter if some "need" or simply "want" or just "enjoy" using the Phase One XF?

Or maybe they like or need the ability to use the Phase IQ4 150 on a technical camera?

I'd rather see more choices and options in the medium format digital camera arena. And I think it is fair to say personal choices, shooting preferences, financial resources---and even spousal deniability (heh heh) effect the particular system that one chooses to use.

Dante says life is short. Buy what you like. :clap:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I do have one on pre-order but TBH that is one fugly looking camera. I’d be happy if they just kept then GFX50s form factor without the rear LCD girth (heck even that doesn’t really bother me).

Last edited:

kdphotography

Fugly for sure. I'm sure it works great. You can put a paper bag over it when you bring it out of your camera bag :ROTFL:

If it kept the smaller form of the GFX50S, I would have put it on my list. No more once I saw the big grip. GFX50 full spectrum conversion is good so far, but haven't done a full on shoot yet. I have more IR filters coming in so I can test the tolerance of the 32-64.

I'm sure you'll make the new GFX100 sing for you, and despite its aesthetic shortcomings, it is Dante approved.

:D

k-hawinkler

Well, looks nicer to me than my 50S with battery grip.
I like an integrated battery grip, similarly to the Nikon D3.
And not that much more expensive as the D3 was back then. :LOL:

erlingmm

What a monster. I think I will stay with the Leica S, with its 10 year old design it still looks like a modern beauty.

Why do some people constantly have a need to belittle others for their choice of cameras. Is it a form of compensation?

Be happy with what you have and happy for others for what they have and use.

hcubell

This has to be the most ugly and ungainly camera body I have ever seen. I simply cannot imagine how this body ever received design approval. With all Fuji’s resources, do they not employ anyone with a shred of design sense?
Given how good the GFX lenses are across the board, I would have seriously considered a GFX 100S, but never this abomination. Unfortunate, because it is unclear whether Hasselblad will come out with an X2D that has the new Sony 100mp sensor.

M

mjr

When you have a face like mine, what the camera looks like is irrelevant!

This looks to me like a camera designed to deal with the heat produced and power required, things that will impact on getting the most from the sensor, if you want 100mp then your choices are limited, narrowing down the choices further based on how it looks is an interesting route to take. People will complain about the performance of small cameras, battery life and heat etc, then complain about the size of big cameras, it all gets a bit boring to be honest. Each to their own though, who really cares what other people shoot with, we all have things we find important, for me the output is top of the list, not that I need 100mp and it's hard enough here in Iraq carrying around a 50s without getting grief. When I get home though I will buy one, only need to be able to hold it, adjust shutter speed, aperture and ISO, everything else is just fluff.

Enjoy whatever you shoot.

Mat

k-hawinkler

When you have a face like mine, what the camera looks like is irrelevant!

This looks to me like a camera designed to deal with the heat produced and power required, things that will impact on getting the most from the sensor, if you want 100mp then your choices are limited, narrowing down the choices further based on how it looks is an interesting route to take. People will complain about the performance of small cameras, battery life and heat etc, then complain about the size of big cameras, it all gets a bit boring to be honest. Each to their own though, who really cares what other people shoot with, we all have things we find important, for me the output is top of the list, not that I need 100mp and it's hard enough here in Iraq carrying around a 50s without getting grief. When I get home though I will buy one, only need to be able to hold it, adjust shutter speed, aperture and ISO, everything else is just fluff.

Enjoy whatever you shoot.

Mat

Thanks Mat. Exactly! :thumbs:
Sufficient operational speed and IQ - that matters to me most! :grin:

Satrycon

Perhaps their idea is for people to use it strictly for studio work?

Satrycon

its probably so bulky because of the IBIS system and all the necessary cooling for that new sensor+processor