The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX100 DPReview

vjbelle

Don't you dare:eek: Many onlookers will approach to find out what that beautiful thing is on your tripod.... including lovely ladies:clap: You'll be the envy of all:thumbup:

Victor

hcubell

This is what you wrote some time ago:

So it's not OK to make snarky remarks about Hasselblad but it is OK to do so about Fuji :facesmack:
Nice try, but there is nothing in my comment about the design and apparent ergonomics of the camera that in any way suggests that (a) the photographers who buy this camera are fools who only care about cameras as status symbols or (b) it will perform like an unreliable piece of junk or (c) the company that makes it is on the verge of bankruptcy. In fact, I stated quite clearly that I think the Fuji lenses are excellent and, if the new camera body was smaller, lighter and more ergonomic, I would likely buy one, notwithstanding that it is ugly. I have no aversion to buying a Fuji GFX. NONE. A Fuji is not kryptonite to me, like Hasselblads are for many, who break out into a cold sweat just thinking about owning one. I also have little doubt that the GFX 100S will produce exceptional image quality in the right hands. It's just that MY priorities are different from the priorities that Fuji set in designing the GFX 100S. For some, the IBIS feature is critical for what and the way they shoot, and the weight and form factor of the GFX 100S will be secondary. I get that. I am happy for them, not critical of them. IBIS is just not important to me. I almost always shoot off a tripod, or at a high enough shutter speed. However, the weight, form factor and simplicity of a camera system at this stage of my life are paramount.

Mark C

I'm less concerned with what it looks like and much more interested in seeing what it can do. The 100 has been compared (in size and weight terms) to the Canon 1Dx which I owned for a few years. Heavy yes, but no so much that I'd be put off owning one for just that. I'm looking forward to reading some independant reviews when the 100 is released and then I just might...

tcdeveau

i don’t care much for the design of the body but I think it’s easy to overlook considering how much camera one is getting for the money. The price/performance ratio I don’t think can be beat in digital medium format. I suspect it will be easy to find bodies even cheaper than $10k soon after release the way Fuji discounts things...and paper bags are cheap :)

JoelM

There's no perfect camera, though some of us think that some have come close. As stated above, I would use this mostly on a tripod so ergonomics are way down on my list. The IBIS is nice as well, but then again... tripod, so IBIS is turned off or not needed. Medium format is a bit like the old film days since lenses aren't as easily swapped like they are in the smaller formats. So, with that in mind, I would buy for the phenomenal Fuji lenses and the likely phenomenal Sony sensor at 102mp, then I might think about ergos.

My 2 cents,

Joel

pegelli

Nice try, but there is nothing in my comment about the design and apparent ergonomics of the camera that in any way suggests that (a) the photographers who buy this camera are fools who only care about cameras as status symbols or (b) it will perform like an unreliable piece of junk or (c) the company that makes it is on the verge of bankruptcy. In fact, I stated quite clearly that I think the Fuji lenses are excellent and, if the new camera body was smaller, lighter and more ergonomic, I would likely buy one, notwithstanding that it is ugly. I have no aversion to buying a Fuji GFX. NONE. A Fuji is not kryptonite to me, like Hasselblads are for many, who break out into a cold sweat just thinking about owning one. I also have little doubt that the GFX 100S will produce exceptional image quality in the right hands. It's just that MY priorities are different from the priorities that Fuji set in designing the GFX 100S. For some, the IBIS feature is critical for what and the way they shoot, and the weight and form factor of the GFX 100S will be secondary. I get that. I am happy for them, not critical of them. IBIS is just not important to me. I almost always shoot off a tripod, or at a high enough shutter speed. However, the weight, form factor and simplicity of a camera system at this stage of my life are paramount.
Wow, sorry for hitting a nerve there, that was not my intention.

You're free to like or not like the camera (I have no beef in this, I'm brand agnostic) but I was only reacting to your snarky and exaggerated insulting remarks about the form, company and designers of the GFX100 :
hcubell said:
This has to be the most ugly and ungainly camera body I have ever seen. I simply cannot imagine how this body ever received design approval. With all Fuji’s resources, do they not employ anyone with a shred of design sense?
Or would you call these words "normal" and "not insulting" :LOL:
At least I don't see such language a lot on GetDPI ;)

D&A

Very much agree with Graham. The Nikon D series of pro digital cameras (D1, D2, D3 etc), as big as they were at that time, fit my hands like a glove, the Canon's, not so much. That alone made extensive use of them (for me personally) quite tenable.

Speaking about design, I see the similarity in form and shape of this new Fuji to the Leica SL. How about going back to 2001 and this Pentax DSLR prototype? (what was to be their 1st DSLR). it's also sort of a lengthy unibody with sort of a shelving at it's base. It came within a hair of being marketed and pulled at the last second for a more conventionally designed body. Form certainly did follow function.
(Image from DPReview 2001).

Dave (D&A)

Attachments

hcubell

Wow, sorry for hitting a nerve there, that was not my intention.

You're free to like or not like the camera (I have no beef in this, I'm brand agnostic) but I was only reacting to your snarky and exaggerated insulting remarks about the form, company and designers of the GFX100 : Or would you call these words "normal" and "not insulting" :LOL:
At least I don't see such language a lot on GetDPI ;)
Normal. Perhaps you have not seen multiple references in this thread to the camera body being "FUGLY" or so ugly you need to cover it with a paper bag when using it. A pretty widely shared opinion, though many will, for their own very good and valid reasons, still buy it.
You seem to have difficulty understanding the difference between an expression of opinion about the aesthetics of the design of a camera and ad hominem remarks about those who buy a camera. I guess you are troubled by the former but ok with the latter.

pegelli

Normal. Perhaps you have not seen multiple references in this thread to the camera body being "FUGLY" or so ugly you need to cover it with a paper bag when using it. A pretty widely shared opinion, though many will, for their own very good and valid reasons, still buy it.
You seem to have difficulty understanding the difference between an expression of opinion about the aesthetics of the design of a camera and ad hominem remarks about those who buy a camera. I guess you are troubled by the former but ok with the latter.
I don't think you're getting the point, I don't really mind that you call the camera ugly, it's mainly the unbridled exaggerated ad-hominem attack at the designers that I have trouble with, especially after your complaints when people do that about Hasselblad cameras.

And don't get mad at me, I never said anything about Hasselblad owners or Hasselblad cameras that upset you so much. I disapprove of those just as much as you do. The only difference is that I'm painting that disapproval broader than just Hasselblad.

I hope I have made myself clear, if not so be it, but I won't try any further. :salute:

drunkenspyder

https://m.dpreview.com/articles/1688357270/exclusive-hands-on-with-fujifilm-100mp-gfx-medium-format

Some will still 'need' their overpriced and overweight 150 megapixel Phase One but who? Those making 60x80 prints?
Thanks for the link, but dang, why the dump on P1 owners? I may not need it, but I sure enjoy using it. And since I already use it, and have been using it for 1.5 years, it's a bit ahead of Fuji's curve here, no? If I were buying in 2019, might the Fuji be a tempting alternative? It might well be, but since I am quite happy with my P1—which in my world transforms a "want" very much into a "need"—then I can continue to enjoy it very much, no matter who and what else comes along.

For me, the IQ4 has the benefit of doing double/triple duty on my P1 and my Cambo and Alpa tech cameras. And FWIW, I do find those 150mpx make a difference on 45x30, depending on what I have to do to get the print ready.

"Need" and "want" are both subjective frameworks. If the P1 price and weight are what it takes to get that stuff to market, and if as a result, it makes an easy target for a competitor like Fuji, seems to me we are all winners. And can—and should—all enjoy it.

Christopher

Because that is what he does... no news there.

Thanks for the link, but dang, why the dump on P1 owners? I may not need it, but I sure enjoy using it. And since I already use it, and have been using it for 1.5 years, it's a bit ahead of Fuji's curve here, no? If I were buying in 2019, might the Fuji be a tempting alternative? It might well be, but since I am quite happy with my P1—which in my world transforms a "want" very much into a "need"—then I can continue to enjoy it very much, no matter who and what else comes along.

For me, the IQ4 has the benefit of doing double/triple duty on my P1 and my Cambo and Alpa tech cameras. And FWIW, I do find those 150mpx make a difference on 45x30, depending on what I have to do to get the print ready.

"Need" and "want" are both subjective frameworks. If the P1 price and weight are what it takes to get that stuff to market, and if as a result, it makes an easy target for a competitor like Fuji, seems to me we are all winners. And can—and should—all enjoy it.

Paratom

I dont think it looks very pretty but I think it looks more "clean" than the 50. And the integrated grip...this body could feel quite good in hand (I believe).

hcubell

I am not sure it has been mentioned, but it has been confirmed by the Fuji Rumor site that the GFX 100S will have an EVF with the new Sony UXGA panel with 5.76m dot resolution. This is the same EVF that is in the new FF Panasonic S1R. I haven't experienced it personally yet, but this should be a major upgrade in the EVF experience over the GFX 50S and 50R (and other mirrorless cameras with EVFs). I am very curious to check it out.

gerald.d

You seem to have difficulty understanding the difference between an expression of opinion about the aesthetics of the design of a camera and ad hominem remarks about those who buy a camera.
A Fuji is not kryptonite to me, like Hasselblads are for many, who break out into a cold sweat just thinking about owning one.
Nah. I really don’t think he does.

PeterA

I don’t see the advantage of the modular design. More interfaces and mechanical connnections which in my book translates into less reliability. I have the GFX grip and it isn’t 100% reliable for me and now I just use the base body.

I’d take the fugly body over a modular transformer system.

Just my $0.02
I don't use the handgrip on the GFXS OR the SL - they just sit somewhere in a cupboard shaking hands with each other keeping each other company - reminding me to never buy al lteh 'stuff' that comes with a camera system just in case it comes in handy sometime.

I wont ever buy a so called 'digital back' from anyone - it is dead tech for all sorts of reasons - but you should watch the Fuji video - because your observations are wrong on how the prototype modular unit actually works.

The label 'ugly' seems to have become a meme with some on here re the GFX body which isn't even pictured finished yet - but hey whatever makes people comfortable and happy with their personal aesthetic - at any rate the MP and feature package of this camera is compelling relative value - I think this will be hand holdable something that can't be said for any other vaguely comparable device - except for maybe the S3 announced - but @64MP I dont see any compelling reason get into this camera system again.

I'd still be shooting XID if it had a focal plane shutter.

narikin

https://m.dpreview.com/articles/1688357270/exclusive-hands-on-with-fujifilm-100mp-gfx-medium-format

Some will still 'need' their overpriced and overweight 150 megapixel Phase One but who? Those making 60x80 prints?
Doug, you've been snarky about Phase owners for months now. Please stop. It's boring.
What I need and what you need are simply not the same thing. Doesn't make either of us wrong or right, just:different.

I have the IQ4, and will be buying the GFX-100 too. It's my job, and I need the tools to carry it out to the best degree I can.