The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fuji GFX100 DPReview

MrSmith

so this camera will have on sensor multi point AF as well as ibis?
:bugeyes:
thats quite amazing considering the mediocre single point AF of some of the competition (i haven’t forgotten the multi point AF pentax)
i’m sure the comments section of the amateur camera news sites will be full of irrelevant noise but for £10k thats a hell of a lot of camera.

just hope its not fundamentally flawed in some way but as they have brought MFD cameras to market already and have a lens roadmap in place it does look like a ‘game changer’ i hate using that word but i feel there are significant advances being made in sensor (shift), AF, and accessibility (price) that other manufacturers in the market will have to take notice.

Satrycon

A Japanese site mentions this "ピクセルシフトマルチショット" >>Pixel Shift Multi Shot.......

- 動画はH265コーデック、400Mbpsで4K30p
- 6月終わりまでに発売
- 価格は10000ユーロ
- 連写は5コマ/秒(GFX50SとGFX50Rは3コマ/秒)
- センサーは100MPの裏面照射型IMX461
- このセンサーは既にPhase Oneのカメラで使用されている
- 価格は10000ドル前後(富士フイルムのマネージャーが9995ドルと発言)
- 発表は2019年の第2四半期
- 4K30p 4:2:0 10bit内部収録
- 4K30p 4:2:2 10bit外部収録
- 4K30pはクロップなし(富士フイルムのマネージャーの発言)
- ピクセルシフトマルチショット
- 位相差検出を画面全域でカバー
- 画像処理エンジンはX Processor4
- 耐低温-10度
- 5軸手ブレ補正

- Video is H265 codec, 4K30p at 400 Mbps
- Release by the end of June
- The price is 10000 euros
- Continuous shooting is 5 frames per second (3 frames / sec for GFX 50 S and GFX 50 R)
- Sensor is backside illuminated IMX 461 with 100 MP
- This sensor has already been used with the Phase One camera

- The price is around 10000 (Fujifilm manager said 9995 dollars)
- The announcement is in the second quarter of 2019
- 4K30p 4: 2: 0 10bit internal recording
- 4K30p 4: 2: 2 10 bit external recording
- 4K 30p has no cropping (remark by Fujifilm's manager)
- Pixel Shift Multi Shot
- Cover phase difference detection throughout the screen
- Image processing engine X Processor 4
- Low temperature resistance - 10 degrees
- 5 Axis hand vibration reduction

David Schneider

Reading the comments about the Mamiya 7ii got me thinking about a comparison of GFX50R and GFX100S. To me the GFX50R is to the Mamiya 7ii the way the GFX100S is to the Fuji GX690II. (OK, that is an oversimplification.)
I would think it's hard to put more and different features into the same size body so that necessitates a different body style.
Someone's fugly might be someone else's shinning red dot.
I think Fuji is doing rather well in having different style cameras in the X and GFX systems. We live in a good time for cameras.

m7ii gx680iii.jpg

Paul2660

It will be interesting to see the finished product.

If they do bring pixel shift out, it has a lot of potential, but it will also be the first for Fuji. The X-H1 also has IBIS but no pixel shift supposedly due to the x-trans. Safe to assume the 100MP will not be x-trans. It will be interesting if it does come with pixel shift, as to how limited it will be, i.e. can you hand hold it, will LR do a good job on the conversions (unlike the Adobe work on Pentax K1 pixel shift), and will Capture One support it. Lots to still get answered.

Hopefully Fuji does fix the issues around 100% live view, which on the 50S IMO sucks. Amazing that Fuji never really attempted to fix this as the view is way over pixelated at what Fuji calls 100%. There are work arounds, but still surprises me that Fuji did not attempt a fix.

AF, on the 50S is very limited in low light, more misses than hits, or really anything low contrast. Hopefully the new AF system will handle low light better.

This should be a great camera for many, and as for looks, it will work for me. More XF looking at least on top, without the dials.

Paul C

Satrycon

interesting about AF on the 50S....with the 50R, i recently took hundreds of shots on the streets in available light..mostly ISO 4000-8000..had only a few misses..and for those, manual focus with the 63 worked nicely... wonder if there is a difference...between AF on the S and the R...because the GF 250mm doesn't need a firmware upgrade for use on the R, but does on the S according to the fuji support page

i also noticed the that 50R has IBIS in the menus, but its greyed out

Paul2660

I have a very early 50S, but it's current on firmware. I have always noted that in low light my particular body, just won't hit. With Phase One, I would be in Live View zoomed to 100% (IQ3 100), but on the Fuji doing this in low light for me is just more work and tends to be hard to do due to the way the 50S works 100% liveview. When the 50S hits with AF, it's always dead on, so I just keep trying with AF till I get a hit in the area of the shot I need, then switch to MF which locks the focus.

As I write this, I remember, I have the 50S set to allow for AF (one of the function buttons) while in MF. So I just use the AF one time. Zooming into the shot in MF for me with distant subject matter even with focus peaking on (I could write a book on how badly Fuji implemented this compared to Nikon, or Sony) it's just hard to determine tack sharp focus.

So for me the AF is very accurate, when I get a hit. In bright or high contrast subjects, that is always the first time. In areas of low light, low contrast it can be a bit frustrating.

Paul C

algrove

satrycon

Well you have convinced me to try some high ISO images and by that I mean over ISO 1600. Nice work.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
interesting thread. from my perspective I don’t care much about anything other than image quality and weight. So despite it’s boxy odd look, I’m definitely interested. (although I might bring along a friend to haul some of the heavy gear instead of packing a lighter GFX kit because the quality of what I’m getting from the IQ4 150 is astounding.)

Satrycon

On my Leica SL, anything above ISO 1600 is crap in that kind of available light/night/street.

on the XH-1 and GFX50R...no issues..:)

satrycon

Well you have convinced me to try some high ISO images and by that I mean over ISO 1600. Nice work.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Reading the comments about the Mamiya 7ii got me thinking about a comparison of GFX50R and GFX100S. To me the GFX50R is to the Mamiya 7ii the way the GFX100S is to the Fuji GX690II. (OK, that is an oversimplification.)
I would think it's hard to put more and different features into the same size body so that necessitates a different body style.
Someone's fugly might be someone else's shinning red dot.
I think Fuji is doing rather well in having different style cameras in the X and GFX systems. We live in a good time for cameras.

View attachment 139263
Absolutely nothing fugly about the Mamiya 6, 7, 7II.

Full confession: I've had all of them including 2x 7II with everything from 43mm through 135mm on the 7II. Mamiya 6 with 50mm being the ultimate, with the 7II and 65mm being a close second.

I've never been commited enough to drag the GX680 (or even the Mamiya RZ67 that I owned) far from the car.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
interesting thread. from my perspective I don’t care much about anything other than image quality and weight. So despite it’s boxy odd look, I’m definitely interested. (although I might bring along a friend to haul some of the heavy gear instead of packing a lighter GFX kit because the quality of what I’m getting from the IQ4 150 is astounding.)
Wayne - this is NOT what I need to keep on reading! :facesmack:

Ken/Don - don't chime in with enablement comments, please! :ROTFL:

Gerd

It will be interesting to see the finished product.

If they do bring pixel shift out, it has a lot of potential, but it will also be the first for Fuji. The X-H1 also has IBIS but no pixel shift supposedly due to the x-trans. Safe to assume the 100MP will not be x-trans. It will be interesting if it does come with pixel shift, as to how limited it will be, i.e. can you hand hold it, will LR do a good job on the conversions (unlike the Adobe work on Pentax K1 pixel shift), and will Capture One support it. Lots to still get answered.

Hopefully Fuji does fix the issues around 100% live view, which on the 50S IMO sucks. Amazing that Fuji never really attempted to fix this as the view is way over pixelated at what Fuji calls 100%. There are work arounds, but still surprises me that Fuji did not attempt a fix.

AF, on the 50S is very limited in low light, more misses than hits, or really anything low contrast. Hopefully the new AF system will handle low light better.

This should be a great camera for many, and as for looks, it will work for me. More XF looking at least on top, without the dials.

Paul C
Hello Paul,

this is 100% a bayer pattern sensor according to the specifications of Sony.

Much more interesting - I read that the sensor has a 16-bit AD converter. If Fuji writes true 16 bit RAW data (65536 values per color channel) that would be really good and they would come closer to iQ3100. However, it would probably take four times longer to write 16-bit RAW data than 14-bit RAW data. I hope Fuji implements 16 bit RAW to favor the IQ and at a disadvantage of speed as an option.

Subject. Live View / EFV
Fuji has a better EFV on the GFX100s. Fuji says - the EVF of the 50s can be taken, but does not provide the full resolution. In this context, I hope that Fuji has also improved the 100% LiveView.

Greeting Gerd

PeterA

100MP @5fps and IBIS and decent autofocus is a street shooters weapon par excellence .

Last edited:
Wayne - this is NOT what I need to keep on reading! :facesmack:

Ken/Don - don't chime in with enablement comments, please! :ROTFL:
When you're already a legacy lifetime member of Dante's Inferno at the exalted seventh level---any encouragement or enabling from Don/Ken is mere smoke and mirrors. The decision was made before the manufacturer's announced a delivery date. You already have committed to the path from which there is no end. Graham, you are Dante-approved.

Dante

Steve Hendrix

When you're already a legacy lifetime member of Dante's Inferno at the exalted seventh level---any encouragement or enabling from Don/Ken is mere smoke and mirrors. The decision was made before the manufacturer's announced a delivery date. You already have committed to the path from which there is no end. Graham, you are Dante-approved.

Dante

Pseudo denial of the Dante effect, while bts engaging in Dante behavior is itself a Dante Approved qualifier.

Steve Hendrix/CI

hcubell

1. Can you tell me where to find these kinds of friends? I did tell Steve Hendrix I would buy an IQ150/XF if he would carry it for me.

2. I was in Park City last week wandering around Main Street and just happened to see a very interesting photography gallery featuring landscape work. I walked in and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was "your" gallery. I thought the work displayed there by you and Randy Collier was excellent, very well printed, and elegantly presented. Overall, an excellent gallery, and I encourage anyone in the Park City area to pay a visit. Congratulations.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
1. Can you tell me where to find these kinds of friends? I did tell Steve Hendrix I would buy an IQ150/XF if he would carry it for me.

2. I was in Park City last week wandering around Main Street and just happened to see a very interesting photography gallery featuring landscape work. I walked in and I was pleasantly surprised to find that it was "your" gallery. I thought the work displayed there by you and Randy Collier was excellent, very well printed, and elegantly presented. Overall, an excellent gallery, and I encourage anyone in the Park City area to pay a visit. Congratulations.
Glad you enjoyed the gallery. It’s been a fun project, although much more work than I anticipated.

As far as friends to carry gear, I’ll admit I used the term “friends” rather loosely. While I do think of them as friends, I normally draft one of my fit and able bodied son in laws to pack the heavy stuff on a more strenuous hike. they both love to hike and are in great shape, so packing a 35 lb camera bag is no problem for them. A couple of years ago shooting the Subway in Zion I was lucky to have one of them carrying the gear because I had an LT band lock up in my right leg and could barely make it up the last hill with no gear on my back.