The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad 503CW + P1 P25 issues

vincentbihler

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a P25 for my hasselblad 503 cw. The previous owner told me it was working good. But when I try to use it on my Blad, 4/5th of the time it keeps telling me 'Shutter synchro error : check cable'. I tried to witch cables, and sync ports. I also tried all of my lenses. But nothing to do, it is still very hard to get a picture from this back. I already set the back to "short lattency" which is the good parameter for that back.

Has anyone already encountered a similar problem before ?

Thanks
Vincent

Ben730

Hi Vincent
The cables with the P1 - Hasselblad V combination are a pain.
Try Electrical Contact Cleaner on the sync contacts of the lens and the back.
If you have older V lenses, the sync has to be set to "X".
Regards,
Ben

nathantw

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired a P25 for my hasselblad 503 cw. The previous owner told me it was working good. But when I try to use it on my Blad, 4/5th of the time it keeps telling me 'Shutter synchro error : check cable'. I tried to witch cables, and sync ports. I also tried all of my lenses. But nothing to do, it is still very hard to get a picture from this back. I already set the back to "short lattency" which is the good parameter for that back.

Has anyone already encountered a similar problem before ?

Thanks
Vincent
I'm assuming you're using the plug that looks like an audio plug that you use with your headphones, https://www.digitalback.com/product/sync-cable-short-for-phase-one-h-5-h-10-h-20-h-25/ . I found that even after cleaning it with contact cleaner and buying new cables that it was still giving me problems and was unreliable. I ended up purchasing a sync cable and its been reliable ever since. https://www.digitalback.com/product/sync-cable-long-for-phase-one-p-and-iq-backs/

vincentbihler

Just wanted to inform you all of my recent conclusions.

I re-tested the back with all of my lenses, and all of my cables. Surprise surprise, the P25 works perfectly with my 50mm and my 150mm lenses. The issue only happens with the 80CF. So the conclusion is that my 80CF planar sync port is dead (or almost) and should go through a CLA. :cry: but I guess it is still better (and cheaper) than servicing a P1 back :)

Thanks y'all for the help !

Vincent

jng

Just wanted to inform you all of my recent conclusions.

I re-tested the back with all of my lenses, and all of my cables. Surprise surprise, the P25 works perfectly with my 50mm and my 150mm lenses. The issue only happens with the 80CF. So the conclusion is that my 80CF planar sync port is dead (or almost) and should go through a CLA. :cry: but I guess it is still better (and cheaper) than servicing a P1 back :)

Thanks y'all for the help !

Vincent
Glad that you sorted this out. From what I've been told by the fellow who used to work on my Hasselblads as well as my Phase One dealer, the flash sync contacts often go bad on these old lenses. The better service shops will replace these whenever overhauling a lens. Good luck!

John

EDIT: Apologies for not chiming in earlier about the sync port being the likely culprit. Your original post rang a bell when I first read it but then got lost in my electronic and therefore mental clutter...

Last edited: