The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Contemplating upgrading from IQ3-100 to IQ4-150 - Thoughts?

vjbelle

One correction there will be no global shutter in this back.

I was talking about the people saying it will be the last back they buy (me included)
Or the next iteration. The first 'real' Global shutters will first appear in much smaller sensor cameras and will be an exciting hurdle for digital photography.:thumbup:

Victor

The IQ4 150 is so effective on tech cameras including quite large movements, not needing LCC that if funds allow, I do not think there is much if anything to gain by waiting for more improve to arrive. Life is short, little additional value to gain by delay , I think��
I’ve never found the LCC process too cumbersome, darkframe - definitely. Then again, I don’t stitch too often

—- Wayne was right —

Further to note, after LCC correction at higher ISOs (800 and up) I have seen SIGNIFICANT banding, even in unshifted shots, but most pronounced in minorly shifted shots with flat/gradients of color

Last edited:

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I’ve never found the LCC process too cumbersome, darkframe - definitely. Then again, I don’t stitch too often, so I can set it and forget it. However, I think the 4150’s ability to do away with LCC is overstated.

Shooting on the 23HR, I see a significant difference with and without. No doubt better than previous generations, but still pronounced. Further to note, after LCC correction at higher ISOs (800 and up) I have seen SIGNIFICANT banding, even in unshifted shots, but most pronounced in minorly shifted shots with flat/gradients of color
How much of the correction was for vignetting (which can be handled with profiles) vs color cast? I don’t think the new back eliminates the need for LCCs all of the time (sorry if I implied so), but what I have found is my 28mm is now back in the bag. Before the lens cast was so severe that removing it left me with poor color in scenes that contained signifiant color (sunsets etc.). And on the 40 and above all I’m seeing is pretty standard vignetting, not much different than most lenses on any camera. I certainly wouldn’t have a problem using a shot without an LCC in most cases for anything other than the 28mm and a cropped pano with the 28mm really won’t show much other than vignetting.

What I’m not seeing with the IQ4 150 in an LCC is the major magenta to green variations ...

Good point, Wayne! I’ve always associated the two because of how I dealt with the correction(create LCC/apply), I’ll amend my post.

How much of the correction was for vignetting (which can be handled with profiles) vs color cast? I don’t think the new back eliminates the need for LCCs all of the time (sorry if I implied so), but what I have found is my 28mm is now back in the bag. Before the lens cast was so severe that removing it left me with poor color in scenes that contained signifiant color (sunsets etc.). And on the 40 and above all I’m seeing is pretty standard vignetting, not much different than most lenses on any camera. I certainly wouldn’t have a problem using a shot without an LCC in most cases for anything other than the 28mm and a cropped pano with the 28mm really won’t show much other than vignetting.

What I’m not seeing with the IQ4 150 in an LCC is the major magenta to green variations ...

Paul2660

Hi Wayne.

When you mention vignetting on the tech lenses being handled by profiles, I can see that working on a center shot. But would not a shift still need a LCC say a shift of 10mm to 15mm.

Thanks
Paul C

Boinger

Hi Wayne.

When you mention vignetting on the tech lenses being handled by profiles, I can see that working on a center shot. But would not a shift still need a LCC say a shift of 10mm to 15mm.

Thanks
Paul C
In c1 if you enter the movement x and y it will apply the correct light fall off via profile.

adinda

As a tech camera user, to me, IQ4-150 is better than IQ3-100 in the following meaningful ways: Much less need for LCC because of much reduced lens color cast. Better dark frame management i.e. less need to capture dark frames. Improved dynamic range. Improved high ISO performance.