The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Automatic stacking with the IQ4 150 and Cambo Actus XL

Just in case it is helpful to other members I would like to show my solution to do automatic stacks with a technical camera. Some weeks ago I bought a like new Cambo Ultima 23 used at a very modest price and upgraded it with 2 parts to an Actus XL. I have an Actus DB, so all the necessary other things were at hand like bellow, adapter, lenses etc. I also own a Cognisys Stack Shot but without a cable to trigger the IQ4 it does not work. To overcome the situation I found out that the Haehnel cable remote for the XF fits into the 12 pin plug of the back but shooting 100 shots manually is no fun. So I rummaged for a solution in my photographic box of toys and found a Haehnel Giga T Pro wireless remote I bought some years ago and voila! the receiver can be exchanged against the wired shutter release. Now I am not only able to fire the ES of the back wirelessly but also use the interval timer and timelapse function of the programmable remote control to synchronize the backs ES with the movements of the camera by just pressing the start knob of the Stack Shot and the Giga T Pro together:grin::grin:. All the functions of the remote will work with every technical camera so I hope, someone can benefit from that setup.

Kind regards

Wolfgang

Attachments

[FONT=&quot]Thank you Blake, it is the great benefit of the Cambo Actus DB and XL that you can exchange lenses and accessories without having to remount anything. But I am jealous - your lens is much cleaner than mine![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Regards[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Wolfgang[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Attachments

gerald.d

it is the great benefit of the Cambo Actus DB and XL that you can exchange lenses and accessories without having to remount anything. But I am jealous - your lens is much cleaner than mine!
Hi Wolfgang - impressive set-up you have there.

Would you care to comment on how you find the performance of the HR 105mm macro compared to other lenses that you have tried?

I currently use a Schneider APO-Digitar 5.6/120 in the 1:1 to 1:1.4 magnification range.

Also, I'm not entirely clear on exactly how Rodenstock works. Do you "dial in" the magnification you want using the magnification ring, and then adjust focus using the bellow as required?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Cambo

The ring around the lens doesn't chance the focus. It sets a floating element to optimise the lens' performance for the desired magnification ratio.

Hi Wolfgang - impressive set-up you have there.

Would you care to comment on how you find the performance of the HR 105mm macro compared to other lenses that you have tried?

I currently use a Schneider APO-Digitar 5.6/120 in the 1:1 to 1:1.4 magnification range.

Also, I'm not entirely clear on exactly how Rodenstock works. Do you "dial in" the magnification you want using the magnification ring, and then adjust focus using the bellow as required?

Kind regards,

Gerald.

Hi Gerald,

Sorry for the delay, it is hard to speak about a comparison with a lens I don't own. What I can say is that I am very happy with the 105mm Rodenstock. One of my first reasons to buy it was that my dealer tould me that the lens was developed as a "cost no object" lens for control of the quality of the output of sensor wafers and after that was published as the ultimate macro lens. The ring on the lens is used to adopt an element inside the lens to the actual magnification of the object inside the picture. I compose my picture, then I hold a ruler published by Rodenstock (http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/messkarten.pdf) inside the liveview of the viewer and read from the ruler the best setting for the lens, adapt it and make my sequence of pictures. Hope it helps:).

Kind regards

Wolfgang

davidsuchoff

Wolfgang,
Would you be so kind as to post some examples of images utilizing this lens? Or a link to some of your work? I'm very intrigued by the lens but there is not a lot out there showing off it's capabilities.

Thanks!

Hi Gerald,

Sorry for the delay, it is hard to speak about a comparison with a lens I don't own. What I can say is that I am very happy with the 105mm Rodenstock. One of my first reasons to buy it was that my dealer tould me that the lens was developed as a "cost no object" lens for control of the quality of the output of sensor wafers and after that was published as the ultimate macro lens. The ring on the lens is used to adopt an element inside the lens to the actual magnification of the object inside the picture. I compose my picture, then I hold a ruler published by Rodenstock (http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/messkarten.pdf) inside the liveview of the viewer and read from the ruler the best setting for the lens, adapt it and make my sequence of pictures. Hope it helps:).

Kind regards

Wolfgang

Wolfgang,
Would you be so kind as to post some examples of images utilizing this lens? Or a link to some of your work? I'm very intrigued by the lens but there is not a lot out there showing off it's capabilities.

Thanks!

Hi, I am not at home but I have 2 pictures with me. It is a stack of 50 (Iris) and 36 (Rose) shots made with the 105mm lens, Alpa FPS and bellows mounted on a Cognisys Stack Shot rail and combined in Helicon Focus.

Kind regards

Wolfgang

Attachments

irlien

Hi Wolfgang! Thank you so much for sharing this. I've been looking for a similar solution for a long time. I'm sorry I had to quote the whole post... The only thing I don't understand is the XF reference. Is it a specific Haenel remote for a specific camera body? If so, which one please?

Thanks again, Neil.
Just in case it is helpful to other members I would like to show my solution to do automatic stacks with a technical camera. Some weeks ago I bought a like new Cambo Ultima 23 used at a very modest price and upgraded it with 2 parts to an Actus XL. I have an Actus DB, so all the necessary other things were at hand like bellow, adapter, lenses etc. I also own a Cognisys Stack Shot but without a cable to trigger the IQ4 it does not work. To overcome the situation I found out that the Haehnel cable remote for the XF fits into the 12 pin plug of the back but shooting 100 shots manually is no fun. So I rummaged for a solution in my photographic box of toys and found a Haehnel Giga T Pro wireless remote I bought some years ago and voila! the receiver can be exchanged against the wired shutter release. Now I am not only able to fire the ES of the back wirelessly but also use the interval timer and timelapse function of the programmable remote control to synchronize the backs ES with the movements of the camera by just pressing the start knob of the Stack Shot and the Giga T Pro together:grin::grin:. All the functions of the remote will work with every technical camera so I hope, someone can benefit from that setup.

Kind regards

Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang! Thank you so much for sharing this. I've been looking for a similar solution for a long time. I'm sorry I had to quote the whole post... The only thing I don't understand is the XF reference. Is it a specific Haenel remote for a specific camera body? If so, which one please?

Thanks again, Neil.
Hi Neil,

there is a specific Haehnel remote for the PhaseOne XF camera sold by Phaseone dealers with just a shutter release. The part with the release button can be deplugged from the cable. The plug of the cable fits into the wireless remote.

Kind regards

Wolfgang

Last edited:

rogerxnz

Great photographs and set up, Wolfgang!

I see the stacking was done in Helicon Focus and I read on their website that they have a workflow option to use raw files but I have not found whether their app will accept raw files from an IQ4-150.

Please tell us whether you are able to use the raw files from the IQ4-150 back in Helicon Focus, or did you have to convert them first?
Roger

mblaze

First, my apologies for replying to this thread after over a year, but I just saw this today.

I have an almost identical system - IQ4 back, Cambo DB-XL, Rodenstock 105 floating element macro. Your automated focus stacking setup looks terrific.

I'm curious about how you attached the servo to the fine focus adjustment on the rear standard. It looks like you have some kind of bracket attached to the rear standard and some kind of replacement for the knob? Were those custom machined or off the shelf parts?

Thanks!

Cambo

First, my apologies for replying to this thread after over a year, but I just saw this today.

I have an almost identical system - IQ4 back, Cambo DB-XL, Rodenstock 105 floating element macro. Your automated focus stacking setup looks terrific.

I'm curious about how you attached the servo to the fine focus adjustment on the rear standard. It looks like you have some kind of bracket attached to the rear standard and some kind of replacement for the knob? Were those custom machined or off the shelf parts?

Thanks!
This kit:
https://www.cambo.com/en/view-cam/actus-xl/acxl-985/

nameBrandon

Thanks!
Yeah, I am geeking out over this setup as well.. Please, more details. :)

P. Chong

I just noticed this thread too! Thanks for reviving.

I am also very curious how the Stackshot is mounted to move the focus. Could you show the right side of the setup please?